This day on July 5
Acquired: Scott Ferguson (2000) Allan Rourke (2007)
Departed: Georges Laraque (2006) Jaroslav Spacek (2006) Jan Hejda (2007)

Happy Birthday To: anm8r, shannon23, homeof99, DanW91

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Assessment of the Trades/Moves as a WholePages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Assessment of the Trades/Moves as a Whole [message #518406 is a reply to message #518398 ]
Thu, 04 March 2010 23:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmc  is currently offline hmc

1 Cup

Beerfish Revisited wrote on Fri, 05 March 2010 00:47

Tambos biggest sin in all this is not going rebuild a full year or more earlier. He would have had much more luck clearing the impending deadwood before we turned into a big bag of suck as a team.

I still don't totally buy the old his hands were totally tied bit. He inherited a ton of awful moves by Lowe but he had the chance to correct a number of them much earlier and he failed to do so.

In anycase, hopefully he can deal another player or two at the draft.

There was absolutely no reason for the team to go into full rebuild last year, or in the off season, from a PR standpoint(or any other standpoint, IMO). They were a borderline playoff team, with young "up-and-coming" players, and some guys coming off what we hoped were off-years.

You're conflating your own ability to have 20/20 hindsight with Tambo's inability to have 20/20 foresight.

Draft day is a big day though, agreed.

Then I'll just regress, because I feel I've made myself perfectly redundant.

Send a private message to this user  

Maybe what BR... [message #518409 is a reply to message #518406 ]
Thu, 04 March 2010 23:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AY  is currently offline AY

1 Cup

is getting at is Tambellini telling the media at the end of last season that changes, significant changes were on the way. Summer of 2009 and on, right?

Re: Maybe what BR... [message #518411 is a reply to message #518409 ]
Thu, 04 March 2010 23:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

AY wrote on Fri, 05 March 2010 01:08

is getting at is Tambellini telling the media at the end of last season that changes, significant changes were on the way. Summer of 2009 and on, right?

Perhaps. I just think that playing GM from an armchair is a little too cushy (not to invite the obvious response...then why do you post here). The old line starts with, what? I don't go to where you work and slap...

what? it's "the mop out of your hands."

Re: Assessment of the Trades/Moves as a Whole [message #518412 is a reply to message #518406 ]
Thu, 04 March 2010 23:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilerinvan  is currently offline oilerinvan

1 Cup

hmcewan wrote on Thu, 04 March 2010 23:06

Tambos biggest sin in all this is not going rebuild a full year or more earlier. He would have had much more luck clearing the impending deadwood before we turned into a big bag of suck as a team.

I still don't totally buy the old his hands were totally tied bit. He inherited a ton of awful moves by Lowe but he had the chance to correct a number of them much earlier and he failed to do so.

There was absolutely no reason for the team to go into full rebuild last year, or in the off season, from a PR standpoint(or any other standpoint, IMO). They were a borderline playoff team, with young "up-and-coming" players, and some guys coming off what we hoped were off-years.

You're conflating your own ability to have 20/20 hindsight with Tambo's inability to have 20/20 foresight.

The conspiracy theorist in me still sees a potential for what he did (or what he didn't do I suppose) as purposeful. Why not make it look like you tried to improve a team that you know sucks so you can start a rebuild with some good draft picks.

Horcoff and MacIntyre rule.

Re: Assessment of the Trades/Moves as a Whole [message #518416 is a reply to message #518412 ]
Thu, 04 March 2010 23:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

oilerinvan wrote on Fri, 05 March 2010 01:18

The conspiracy theorist in me still sees a potential for what he did (or what he didn't do I suppose) as purposeful. Why not make it look like you tried to improve a team that you know sucks so you can start a rebuild with some good draft picks.

Haha - that's why your conspiracy theories are so wacky - you're giving way too much credit to where it isn't due.

Re: Assessment of the Trades/Moves as a Whole [message #518418 is a reply to message #518416 ]
Thu, 04 March 2010 23:27 Go to previous message
oilerinvan  is currently offline oilerinvan

1 Cup

hmcewan wrote on Thu, 04 March 2010 23:22

oilerinvan wrote on Fri, 05 March 2010 01:18

Haha - that's why your conspiracy theories are so wacky - you're giving way too much credit to where it isn't due.

icon_biggrin

Impossible to prove or disprove, but I will say this: Tambellini looks like he deserves some credit. It's not like he's Lowe.

Horcoff and MacIntyre rule.

Re: Assessment of the Trades/Moves as a Whole [message #518230 is a reply to message #518182 ]
Thu, 04 March 2010 00:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TJ39  is currently offline TJ39

1 Cup

So, if Whitney doesn't pan out like he obviously hasn''t for Anaheim. How do we get rid of that cap hit Magnum?

Also what are the Oilers doing, they get rid of a young d-man and an older very good d-man and pick up an in between....

Kinda hard to figure out, don't you think?

It'll be interesting to see how Grebs does in the future.

Honestly, as far as I am concerned I can`t wait until the president from the bench bosses are fired.

We`ll be laughing in 5-6 years.....iif it happens by then.

Edit, Btw Grebs wasn't a UFA he was an RFA. A second round pick?

[Updated on: Thu, 04 March 2010 00:52]

Re: Assessment of the Trades/Moves as a Whole [message #518239 is a reply to message #518230 ]
Thu, 04 March 2010 06:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MOOSE11  is currently offline MOOSE11

No Cups

To me the Lubo for Whitney trade is good for the team going forward. I think Whitney can have a big impact on this team. When he was counted on as the big guy in Pittsburgh he played pretty good imo. Getting something for Grebs that was above a 3 round pick is good too. maybe that pick will be used in a trade at the draft.....you never know. Best of all is that the Oilers rid them selves of Steady Steves 2.7 cap hit next year and I can only see that as being a really good thing.

Tambo gets an A from me!!!!!!

Re: Assessment of the Trades/Moves as a Whole [message #518245 is a reply to message #518239 ]
Thu, 04 March 2010 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
McDavid97  is currently offline McDavid97

1 Cup

Visnovsky $5.6 M
Grebeshkov $3.15 M
Staios $2.7M
Whitney -$4M
Chorney -$.942M
Plante -$1.075

$5.433 Million we save with next years salaries if we keep our defense and just replace within. This gives Plante and Chorney time to prove themselves as well as cap space. We still can find a leadership player on defense if we want someone other then Souray to do the job.
As for the trades I think it leaves us with a bit of a weak defense but then again our defense this year wasn't great. I like the cap savings forsure though, wished to get more for Visnovsky but I think it is going to turn out good with Whitney.
Souray- Plante
Gilbert- Whitney
Smid- Chorney

This also gives us Peckham who needs to be resigned since's he RFA and makes Chorney, Plante and Peckam battle for those 2 spots. We then can see if they look like they have potential in the league.
Also if anything happens in the summer this will of course change.

With the $5.433M in savings on defense and with Comrie $1.25M, Pisani $2.5M, Gagner $1.625, Cogs $1.133 that gives us ($11.941M) of cap space to resign our key forwards (Cogliano, Gagner). Also a bit of money comes off from our other players that some need to be resigned.

I have a question about Grebeshkov (glad he is gone), if Nashville doesn't agree on the salary with him does he get unqualified? How do they get to take it infront of someone to decide what he should get? (Thanks)

Re: Assessment of the Trades/Moves as a Whole [message #518248 is a reply to message #518182 ]
Thu, 04 March 2010 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

2 Cups

Y'know what I think people..

Grebs wasn't going to sign back here next year, that's why he only had a one year deal, plus he's was pretty lackluster as an oiler.

Doing my best OiV impression, I think Tambo cemented our slot for 30th place and it was intentional. Trading away your best and most reliable d-man and some veteran "leadership" and leave the defensive core to be a newbie as my ability to play defense, we are relegated by default to be 30th overall. To further this point, add the fact we have questionable goaltending, and no scoring.

Whitney may derail the defensive thought but with no scoring and our goaltending, we're staying in 30th.

Let us hope.

As a side note, I'm more and more leaning to throw my support behind Dubnyk than JDD. He worked a stellar game.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Assessment of the Trades/Moves as a Whole [message #518250 is a reply to message #518182 ]
Thu, 04 March 2010 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bigred75  is currently offline bigred75

No Cups

I think individually the only deal that looks to be somewhat good is the 3rd and depth player that Tambo got from Calgary for Staios. That was a solid deal. The Lubo deal should have included a 3rd at minimum, but I won't complain too much about it since he received a good player in return and a future depth player for the farm (6th rd pick = depth only). The Grebs for a 2nd was decent, but I think Tambo may have been able to get a little more, maybe a second pick in the 5th or 6th round, or another depth player.

Overall though, I would have to deem the day a success since he cleared cap space. But I think the failure here is that he was unable to move Moreau or Pisani, moreso Moreau. Had Tambo moved Moreau, say for something similar to the Staios deal, then I would see the day as a complete success. I see a buy-out in Ethan's future.

So, good job Tambo, I guess.

Re: Assessment of the Trades/Moves as a Whole [message #518261 is a reply to message #518250 ]
Thu, 04 March 2010 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jerekybeef  is currently offline jerekybeef

No Cups

Why do all these people think that Tambo could have gotten more? Do you think for one second that had a better deal not been presented to him he would have taken it? Also, to lambaste and pine over the fact that certain players did not get moved is stupid as well. Those players that were not moved are garbage players with either huge contracts (relative to what they actually bring to the game) or injury history and possibly both. We have shi**y players on this team. Why would another team give up assets for a crap player? Here I'll trade you my rusted out Pinto that does not run for your new Corvette and you can pay the loan too! Does that sound like a good deal to anyone? Face it people no one wanted our junk beyond what we did get rid of and in reality what we got rid of was junk too in the fact that it was either unreliable, too old or cost wayyyy to much.

"Make the Oilers great again" - Donny Tramp

Re: Everything IN Here... [message #518270 is a reply to message #518182 ]
Thu, 04 March 2010 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
philly boy  is currently offline philly boy

No Cups

Could've summed this entire thread and all its responses up quite simplistically:

Beggers can't be chooser!

[Updated on: Thu, 04 March 2010 11:39]

Re: Everything IN Here... [message #518282 is a reply to message #518270 ]
Thu, 04 March 2010 12:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
goffer48  is currently offline goffer48

No Cups

philly boy wrote on Thu, 04 March 2010 11:10

Could've summed this entire thread and all its responses up quite simplistically:

Beggers can't be chooser!

OR ....
"FOR SALE or TRADE ...... Components of a last place team . "

-Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
-Don't mess with old folks, they didn't get old by being stupid.

Re: Assessment of the Trades/Moves as a Whole [message #518307 is a reply to message #518182 ]
Thu, 04 March 2010 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bigEfromGP  is currently offline bigEfromGP

2 Cups

I was happy with the moves. Of course I would have loved to see more similiar moves, but if they weren't there, they weren't there.

They showed a definitive direction, which is what many of us have begged of for years. They moved out players, cleared salary space and gained picks. Anyone who thinks that it's possible to do a rebuild without losing a few good pieces along the way does not have realistic expectations.

You have to give to get.

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 09 October 2020 13:17

CrudeRemarks wrote on Fri, 09 October 2020 13:00

The president thinks he has the ideal male body.
It's hard to disagree that he has the ideal male body.

Re: Assessment of the Trades/Moves as a Whole [message #518378 is a reply to message #518307 ]
Thu, 04 March 2010 21:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Legion  is currently offline Legion

No Cups

Promise you that one of Penner & Hemsky is gone on draft day, mark my words!!!
Edited for poor capitalization due to iphone suckage

[Updated on: Thu, 04 March 2010 22:42]

Game Sold
www.twitter.com/steve_schulte

Like I mentioned... [message #518397 is a reply to message #518182 ]
Thu, 04 March 2010 22:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

earlier this season, it seems likely the game is passing former core member Staios by... good move to save space next season.

Visnovsky? I don't know if Quinn was all that thrilled with him. I don't have a good read on Whitney yet. Bigger is good. This team needs big. Play big at least.

Stuck with Gilbert 'cos of bloated, obscene contract and less than satisfactory performance. One of Visnovsky and Souray had to go quickshot. I would like to think Nillson and Sullivan get lost in Oklahoma come the fall.

Re: Like I mentioned... [message #518402 is a reply to message #518397 ]
Thu, 04 March 2010 22:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Legion  is currently offline Legion

No Cups

rumor has it he plays about as big as Penner, Good size but doesn't use it very well.

Game Sold
www.twitter.com/steve_schulte

Really, hey? [message #518405 is a reply to message #518402 ]
Thu, 04 March 2010 23:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Well the book on him opens for good tomorrow.

The truth is on the ice, as I'm fond of saying.

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:Lubo gone
Next Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #63)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca