This day on July 5
Acquired: Scott Ferguson (2000) Allan Rourke (2007)
Departed: Georges Laraque (2006) Jaroslav Spacek (2006) Jan Hejda (2007)

Happy Birthday To: anm8r, shannon23, homeof99, DanW91

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Grebeshkov to Nashville for a 2nd round pickPages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Lord have mercy! [message #517183 is a reply to message #517182 ]
Mon, 01 March 2010 19:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

4 Cups

AY wrote on Mon, 01 March 2010 22:08

Some days are better than others, kind peoples!

How was your day yesterday? Seeing the hockey God pot the Golden Goal? Must have hurt just a little, eh?
icon_lol

Send a private message to this user  

Listen... [message #517187 is a reply to message #517183 ]
Mon, 01 March 2010 19:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AY  is currently offline AY

1 Cup

I'm as happy as anyone else Canada won but all that tournament revealed was how fortunate sweetheart there was to be ridin' the coattails of his teammates!

No suprise to pundits. Conn Smythe winner Malkin led the way to a SC.

During that famous WJ tournament a few years back, sweetheart was also outplayed by many of his teammates who had a more consistent, impactful role.

Getzlaf, Richards, Carter, Bergeron...

Re: Listen... [message #517190 is a reply to message #517187 ]
Mon, 01 March 2010 19:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Legion  is currently offline Legion

No Cups

AY wrote on Mon, 01 March 2010 19:16

I'm as happy as anyone else Canada won but all that tournament revealed was how fortunate sweetheart there was to be ridin' the coattails of his teammates!

During that famous WJ tournament a few years back, sweetheart was also outplayed by many of his teammates who had a more consistent, impactful role.

Bust this one over to the off topic forum chiefy?

Game Sold
www.twitter.com/steve_schulte

"I'm gonna knock you out... [message #517197 is a reply to message #517190 ]
Mon, 01 March 2010 19:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AY  is currently offline AY

1 Cup

Mama said knock you out!"

Worry not comrades, I'm sure sweetheart's lucrative endorsements are safe!

"Don't believe the hype!"

edit note: Andy tips his hat to LL Cool J and Public Enemy for inspiration tonight.

Re: Listen... [message #517198 is a reply to message #517190 ]
Mon, 01 March 2010 19:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LumberingD  is currently offline LumberingD

No Cups

Legion wrote on Mon, 01 March 2010 19:23

Bust this one over to the off topic forum chiefy?

A newbie calling out AY, this I will have to keep an eye on.

“Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently. - Henry Ford

Re: Listen... [message #517209 is a reply to message #517198 ]
Mon, 01 March 2010 20:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Legion  is currently offline Legion

No Cups

It was a love comment, I don't wanna get hurt

Game Sold
www.twitter.com/steve_schulte

Re: Listen... [message #517211 is a reply to message #517209 ]
Mon, 01 March 2010 20:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LumberingD  is currently offline LumberingD

No Cups

Legion wrote on Mon, 01 March 2010 20:07

It was a love comment, I don't wanna get hurt

Thats so much less fun for the rubberneckers. icon_smile

“Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently. - Henry Ford

Re: Listen... [message #517196 is a reply to message #517187 ]
Mon, 01 March 2010 19:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilerinvan  is currently offline oilerinvan

1 Cup

The impact I remember from that tournament was the impact of Crosby and others taking a later crying Ovechkin out of the tournament. That was after Ovechkin and Malkin had made horses asses out of themselves of course.

Crosby and Bergeron were gold in that tournament. I guess we all remember what we want to remember though.

Horcoff and MacIntyre rule.

Re: Grebeshkov to Nashville for a 2nd round pick [message #517225 is a reply to message #517056 ]
Mon, 01 March 2010 21:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oilertime  is currently offline Oilertime

No Cups

I think a mid-2nd round pick is a great return. We don't have to over value Grebeshkov, he's gone to another team now.

Leopold brought Florida a 2nd round pick and I think that's an accurate comparison, especially for their current play.

Next time you watch Nash's goal against Russia, you can thank Grebs for helping out with that breakaway, instead of being the last man back and defensively responsible, he cheats down low and opens up an odd man rush. Sums up his play in Edmonton.

https://twitter.com/Reggie__11

Our D just got better [message #517252 is a reply to message #517056 ]
Tue, 02 March 2010 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilmanFan  is currently offline OilmanFan

No Cups

Don't get me wrong as I was the first one eating crow last year when I had nick-named him Garbagekov, but he showed to be a sorry excuse of a hockey player this year. I am glad he is gone and I think that is an upgrade in and of itself even without the second rounder.

In Nashville, he could do great with their system that they play, but if he doesn't buy into what coach Trotz has him do then he won't last very long there either.

He gave up on the Oilers way too many times this season so I am glad that Edm gave up on him.

If Seguin gets 51 pts:

G2K= $100
V4ance=$100

Nail Yakupov

Re: Grebeshkov to Nashville for a 2nd round pick [message #517264 is a reply to message #517056 ]
Tue, 02 March 2010 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

3 Cups

I think this is a great trade, to be honest. And actually more than I expected to get for him.

The guy cost too much money, was going to cost too much money, and really didn't show any signs of being a "guy for the future" for this organization. Add in the risk of him going to KHL or not being renewed at the end of the year, and this is great asset management.

Re: Grebeshkov to Nashville for a 2nd round pick [message #517269 is a reply to message #517264 ]
Tue, 02 March 2010 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilerinvan  is currently offline oilerinvan

1 Cup

mightyreasoner wrote on Tue, 02 March 2010 09:05

I think this is a great trade, to be honest. And actually more than I expected to get for him.

The guy cost too much money, was going to cost too much money, and really didn't show any signs of being a "guy for the future" for this organization. Add in the risk of him going to KHL or not being renewed at the end of the year, and this is great asset management.

Totally agree on every point. The trade is actually making me more hopeful for what we may get back for what we have left.

Horcoff and MacIntyre rule.

Re: Grebeshkov to Nashville for a 2nd round pick [message #517274 is a reply to message #517269 ]
Tue, 02 March 2010 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

2 Cups

You watch Grebs all of the sudden "get it" and play like the play he could be. Add that with Shea Weber and they are the shutdown pair for tonight.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Grebeshkov to Nashville for a 2nd round pick [message #517280 is a reply to message #517274 ]
Tue, 02 March 2010 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

4 Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Tue, 02 March 2010 12:56

You watch Grebs all of the sudden "get it" and play like the play he could be. Add that with Shea Weber and they are the shutdown pair for tonight.

Think Weber will let him touch his gold medal?

It will kinda suck if we see Grebs turn into the guy we got glimpses of last year, but honestly I'm a little surprised that we were able to get a 2nd for him.

Re: Grebeshkov to Nashville for a 2nd round pick [message #517285 is a reply to message #517280 ]
Tue, 02 March 2010 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Tue, 02 March 2010 10:36

It will kinda suck if we see Grebs turn into the guy we got glimpses of last year, but honestly I'm a little surprised that we were able to get a 2nd for him.

It's always a risk when you're dealing a guy with talent...same thing if we're able to deal Nilsson, but there's a lot of big question marks. Can he get to that next level? Can he be consistent? And could this coaching staff get him there? He seemed to respond much better to MacT/Huddy than he has to Quinn/Renney. Maybe this system just doesn't fit his game? And maybe he doesn't have the confidence to play for these coaches...maybe he needs more hand-holding and reassurance, and Quinn seems to be a bit thornier than that...

He's definitely a guy with some upside, and there will be threads in here in the next couple of years (assuming he doesn't bail to the KHL) whenever he has a point streak or makes a couple highlight reels, but if they think Chorney's ready to make the jump, someone had to go. Given his contract situation, he was likely the easiest to move.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: Grebeshkov to Nashville for a 2nd round pick [message #517291 is a reply to message #517285 ]
Tue, 02 March 2010 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vsove  is currently offline vsove

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Tue, 02 March 2010 10:42

Mike wrote on Tue, 02 March 2010 10:36

It's always a risk when you're dealing a guy with talent...same thing if we're able to deal Nilsson, but there's a lot of big question marks. Can he get to that next level? Can he be consistent? And could this coaching staff get him there? He seemed to respond much better to MacT/Huddy than he has to Quinn/Renney. Maybe this system just doesn't fit his game? And maybe he doesn't have the confidence to play for these coaches...maybe he needs more hand-holding and reassurance, and Quinn seems to be a bit thornier than that...

He's definitely a guy with some upside, and there will be threads in here in the next couple of years (assuming he doesn't bail to the KHL) whenever he has a point streak or makes a couple highlight reels, but if they think Chorney's ready to make the jump, someone had to go. Given his contract situation, he was likely the easiest to move.

Ha. Yes, that's probably my least favourite thing about this trade. The inevitable 'GREBESHKOV' thread in the NHL forum, with a select group of people making sure to bring it up every time he does something positive.

No Mo' Lowe | Fire McLellan | Fire everyone.

Re: Grebeshkov to Nashville for a 2nd round pick [message #517293 is a reply to message #517291 ]
Tue, 02 March 2010 11:08 Go to previous message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

3 Cups

vsove wrote on Tue, 02 March 2010 10:51

Ha. Yes, that's probably my least favourite thing about this trade. The inevitable 'GREBESHKOV' thread in the NHL forum, with a select group of people making sure to bring it up every time he does something positive.

I am going to circumvent that:

As at March 1, 2010:

Denis Grebeshkov was the worst defenseman on the worst team in the NHL, and was being overpaid.

Good trade, good overall logical move, given the above reality.

[Updated on: Tue, 02 March 2010 11:10]

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Pages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #62)
Next Topic:Visnovsky reprimanded for stimulant
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca