This day on August 17
None

Happy Birthday To: Slim Jim Phantom Call, Ingenious_OilerFan, copper&blue, annie01, Kaizzer3

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #9)Pages (4): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #498960 is a reply to message #498949 ]
Thu, 22 October 2009 22:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cableguy  is currently offline cableguy

No Cups

Copperoiler wrote on Thu, 22 October 2009 22:27

Okay,

Seriously now...

Did anyone ever think they'd see this day...

Link that just looks wrong but is oh so right

Dustin Penner is now 2 points behind Alexander Ovechkin for the NHL scoring lead...

And the goaltending leader is kinda funny too...

Penner is a bargain icon_wink

Still jaded but we've got McDavid

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #498973 is a reply to message #498936 ]
Thu, 22 October 2009 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dkb19  is currently offline dkb19

No Cups

The open mouth and blank expression go well with the assinine coaching decisions he made during his last 2 years here. Any coincidence he never wore a helmet?

5 Cups and counting.

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #498975 is a reply to message #498973 ]
Thu, 22 October 2009 23:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dr. Oil  is currently offline Dr. Oil

1 Cup

dkb19 wrote on Thu, 22 October 2009 22:23

The open mouth and blank expression go well with the assinine coaching decisions he made during his last 2 years here. Any coincidence he never wore a helmet?

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #498937 is a reply to message #498908 ]
Thu, 22 October 2009 22:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bigEfromGP  is currently offline bigEfromGP

2 Cups

I don't remember who it was, but someone here was saying that Penner was a great player being held back by MacT. I'm pretty sure the same guy said that this year would be Penner's year. Wish I could remember who.....

In other news, Core Member Horcoff not looking so hot now, to the unwashed masses of course. Team AY unusually silent about Horcoff lately too. Odd.

Quinn has made a world of difference. To think that people were arguing that "the Oilers aren't like the movies; coaches don't make that much of a difference". In Quinn We Trust.

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 09 October 2020 13:17

CrudeRemarks wrote on Fri, 09 October 2020 13:00

The president thinks he has the ideal male body.
It's hard to disagree that he has the ideal male body.

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #498938 is a reply to message #498908 ]
Thu, 22 October 2009 22:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

5 Cups

Great Big Win for the Edmonton Oilers.

Huge comeback, this outfit was DOA halfway through the 2nd....I mean they had NOTHING going on after scoring the first goal....down 4-1, they score the next 5 goals....WOW.

The best players led this team in the comeback, clearly.

Hemsky is reborn tonight. Penner, well what can you say? What can you say? Dominant. Penner IS the power forward the Oilers covet. Somehow we're only discovering this fact this year. That first line had FLOW, there was no playkiller on the line.

Even Horcoff did well later on in the 3rd in his true role as a defensive hockey player. I even saw him engage a Columbus player physically in front of the Oilers net in a scrum. It sucks to have a 5.5 cap hit as a 2nd/3rd line centre, but I'm fine with because it means the Oilers have a better 1st line center.

Wow. Getting these wins without key players in the lineup will only bode well later on in the season.

What a thrilling comeback, the building was stoked, great night. Looking forward to more good hockey this year.

The Oilers clearly have no quit, which looks good for a team definitely building an identity an which really hasn't had an identity in 3 years. Now, this team should never count themselves out.

There were a boatload of negatives and bad plays in this game, a lot of guys looked slow and sick, but quite frankly I'll look past them with a stunning result like this.

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #498943 is a reply to message #498938 ]
Thu, 22 October 2009 22:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

4 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Fri, 23 October 2009 01:17

Hemsky is reborn tonight. Penner, well what can you say? What can you say? Dominant. Penner IS the power forward the Oilers covet. Somehow we're only discovering this fact this year. That first line had FLOW, there was no playkiller on the line.

This game IMO is an indictment on the last few years of the MacT era. Exhibit A - this was it.

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #498944 is a reply to message #498908 ]
Thu, 22 October 2009 22:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilerinvan  is currently offline oilerinvan

1 Cup

That was fun. I feel inclined to add another heading to my review:

The Great

- Penner
- Penner – Gagner – Hemsky
- 13 points, two players with 5 points – when was the last time we had two players with 5-point nights?
- Having a first line, and having one that is that fun to watch again; it has been a long long time
- That was a feel good comeback if I have ever felt one
- bigE's prediction about Penner

The Good

- Penner making everyone around him better
- Seeing how happy Penner was on the 4th goal
- Visnovsky was very very good, both with smarts and skill
- Our PP (did I just say that?)
- Smid played with heart
- Gagner was good
- Quinn’s shortening of the bench as the game progressed; really good use of players
- Khabibulin never loses track of the puck and he gets better when he has to, when the team needs him
- We were still able to provide a physical presence (19 hits to their 17)
- Watching Torres score on us and then watching them screw their own team (thanks boys)

The Bad

- The flu
- Comrie without the puck
- I was not a huge fan of Comrie – Horcoff – O’Sullivan
- Beating up so bad on Garon
- Huselius eats us up

The Ugly

- The first half of the game
- Cogliano went 2 for 12 on the dot (17%)

Here’s an interesting stat I would not have guessed from tonight’s game, Chorney played the most SH minutes on the team with 3:48. He is making a certain #77 expendable when Souray comes back. The one thing I was thinking that is positive about him is you don’t notice him really. His name even comes up on here relatively infrequently. For a young defensemen filling in for Sheldon Souray, and that appears to have some offensive upside, that is a very good sign.

Horcoff and MacIntyre rule.

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #498959 is a reply to message #498944 ]
Thu, 22 October 2009 22:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

oilerinvan wrote on Thu, 22 October 2009 22:22

Here’s an interesting stat I would not have guessed from tonight’s game, Chorney played the most SH minutes on the team with 3:48. He is making a certain #77 expendable when Souray comes back. The one thing I was thinking that is positive about him is you don’t notice him really. His name even comes up on here relatively infrequently. For a young defensemen filling in for Sheldon Souray, and that appears to have some offensive upside, that is a very good sign.

Good breakdown of the game as usual OIV, but I want to focus on your last paragraph. You never hear "Chorney with a giveaway" or "Chorney gets knocked off the puck" or "who was Chorney passing to"? or "what was Taylor Chorney thinking?"

Very encouraging.

#77 is rocketing down the Oilers' depth chart. With his play so far this year, he's at #5 or #6. He and Grebs don't have anything going.

I've been saying this for awhile, I'm hoping there's another GM that is seduced by Gilbert's stats and will give something up in return.

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #499116 is a reply to message #498944 ]
Fri, 23 October 2009 16:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

2 Cups

oilerinvan wrote on Thu, 22 October 2009 21:22

when was the last time we had two players with 5-point nights?

1988 - Glenn Anderson and Jimmy Carson, according to Dutch on TSN.

Edit - should have read the rest of the thread first as I see that scotiaoiler beat me to it.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #498948 is a reply to message #498908 ]
Thu, 22 October 2009 22:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
5Cups&Counting  is currently offline 5Cups&Counting

No Cups

180 On PENNER! I'm ready, are you? Holy crap!! Don't even know what to say right now.

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #498954 is a reply to message #498908 ]
Thu, 22 October 2009 22:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

6 Cups

Seeing as people are in a bragging mood tonight.

I predicted that JFJ would be off the 1st line by game 15. I thought I was being too generous at the time. I was right.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #498958 is a reply to message #498954 ]
Thu, 22 October 2009 22:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilerPunch  is currently offline OilerPunch

No Cups

DId we have any other lines out there? Midway through the second and to the end of the game I only saw Penner-Gagner -Hemsky.

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #498964 is a reply to message #498958 ]
Thu, 22 October 2009 22:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
scotiaoiler  is currently offline scotiaoiler

No Cups

First time since 88 that 2 players score 5 points, Carson and Anderson that day. I to am doing a 180 on Penner. It is not even the point production. Even if he had half the points he has now. It is the way he is playing. He is driving to the net, he snipped that second goal. Has good vision and busts his butt on defense. He has got a lot of bad press the last few (most of that from those who are praising him now), but he kinda deserved that but he now deserves the praise he is getting now. Only bad thing I have to say about the team tonight and we will not dwell on it much is just the concern on defense when grebs and gilbert play together

Yeah... [message #498985 is a reply to message #498964 ]
Fri, 23 October 2009 01:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AY  is currently offline AY

1 Cup

we touched on that after the first game I believe... keeping these two together is like playing with fire.

The apologists would say every rose has a thorn.

Individually? Since I don't know when... ; )

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #498962 is a reply to message #498954 ]
Thu, 22 October 2009 22:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

gretzky2kurri wrote on Thu, 22 October 2009 22:31

I predicted that JFJ would be off the 1st line by game 15. I thought I was being too generous at the time. I was right.

OK, I predicted oh, 20-30 games in last year that the Oilers would improve by default with a new coaching staff. It appears I am correct icon_nod

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #498965 is a reply to message #498962 ]
Thu, 22 October 2009 22:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

6 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Thu, 22 October 2009 22:45

OK, I predicted oh, 20-30 games in last year that the Oilers would improve by default with a new coaching staff. It appears I am correct icon_nod

Not bad. Not bad at all...

Next.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #498966 is a reply to message #498965 ]
Thu, 22 October 2009 22:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Boniman  is currently offline Boniman

No Cups

All I know is that it feels nice to be excited about this team again. Nice to be living somewhere where oil fans were few and far between as well.

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #498969 is a reply to message #498966 ]
Thu, 22 October 2009 23:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MOOSE11  is currently offline MOOSE11

No Cups

has anyone else noticed how excited Penner looks now on the ice when the Oil score. penner had his confidence crushed by MacT. 5pts tonight ...........WOW god. Hemmer looked like Hemmer finally. This team is winning with major players missing......Lovin the Oil is easy again!!!!!!

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #498971 is a reply to message #498969 ]
Thu, 22 October 2009 23:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

I was just curious but last year after 9 games they were 4-5(they then lost their 6th in a row), 18 goals for and 26 goals against. Penner had 2 goals and 2 points, Hemsky had 7 assists, Gagner had 1 assist icon_eek

I don't really have a point to all this, I was curious and it some food for thought.

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #498979 is a reply to message #498965 ]
Thu, 22 October 2009 23:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Teammate Avry  is currently offline Teammate Avry

No Cups

gretzky2kurri wrote on Thu, 22 October 2009 22:48

K.McC#24 wrote on Thu, 22 October 2009 22:45

Not bad. Not bad at all...

Next.

excellent win for the Oil, this is truly the Dustin Penner that the team got from Anahiem. and g2k I may not call in anymore (I am working for the tv station now that starts with a C and has V and T in it so im close the station) but please dont steal "not bad, not bad" icon_wink

A guy who if you turned into a gumbo is a wild mix of sports podcaster/TV reporter and sports writer.

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #498980 is a reply to message #498979 ]
Fri, 23 October 2009 00:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jay  is currently offline Jay

1 Cup

Teammate Avry wrote on Thu, 22 October 2009 23:57

this is truly the Dustin Penner that the team got from Anahiem.

I defy anyone to argue this point.

"Initiative comes to thems that wait"

Yeah G2K... [message #498986 is a reply to message #498954 ]
Fri, 23 October 2009 01:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AY  is currently offline AY

1 Cup

fifteen games was kinda "generous", to use your words.

You hafta has some composure, some, to make the most of first line responsibilities in today's, anydays, NHL.

On a side note, I raise a glass to all of you that you don't hafta to work in the condition Comrie was in tonight. That was rough, man. Khabibulin? I mean four goals allowed is four goals allowed, but he shut the door when he had too, definitely.

Who was The Penner, in principle, brought in to replace?

The same guy he shares the same point total with, this young season.

Horcoff Boosters? Yup. Crickets. [message #498970 is a reply to message #498908 ]
Thu, 22 October 2009 23:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BTR17  is currently offline BTR17

No Cups

Anyone still think Shawn Horcoff is a 75-point 1C? Or that he's 'playing hurt?' or that he'll 'eat up opposing C's'?

The MacT lights were turned off on Horcoff tonight. At last. Mercifully.

Boosters? Is it over?

Have to love Pat Quinn bringing real accountability, at long last, to this hockey club.

Ding dong the witch is dead.

Too bad the worst contract in pro hockey is on the Oilers tab for the next 5 years.

Close your eyes and imagine this Oiler team with....a productive 5.5 million dollar player in 10's place. Exciting, huh?

[Updated on: Thu, 22 October 2009 23:25]

"The Oilers are playing like they'd rather die than lose."

Mike Emerick, on-air, after the Game 3 win over Anaheim in the 2006 Western Conference Final.

Re: Horcoff Boosters? Yup. Crickets. [message #498977 is a reply to message #498970 ]
Thu, 22 October 2009 23:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Superintendent  is currently offline Superintendent

1 Cup

Sorry if this has already been mentioned...from Tencer's Twitter:

Penner on his season: "It's like the scene in Old School where the guy does gymnastics and goes 'I blacked out, what happened?'"

Re: Horcoff Boosters? Yup. Crickets. [message #498978 is a reply to message #498977 ]
Thu, 22 October 2009 23:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Superintendent wrote on Thu, 22 October 2009 23:38

Sorry if this has already been mentioned...from Tencer's Twitter:

Penner on his season: "It's like the scene in Old School where the guy does gymnastics and goes 'I blacked out, what happened?'"

Haha, I heard him say that. Then on the Team 1260 in a Will Fraser interview he described his game tonight as "Sky Rockets" from Anchorman.

Re: Horcoff Boosters? Yup. Crickets. [message #499112 is a reply to message #498970 ]
Fri, 23 October 2009 15:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

BTR17 wrote on Thu, 22 October 2009 23:14

Anyone still think Shawn Horcoff is a 75-point 1C? Or that he's 'playing hurt?' or that he'll 'eat up opposing C's'?

Boosters? Is it over?

Have to love Pat Quinn bringing real accountability, at long last, to this hockey club.

Too bad the worst contract in pro hockey is on the Oilers tab for the next 5 years.

Close your eyes and imagine this Oiler team with....a productive 5.5 million dollar player in 10's place. Exciting, huh?

How come a good game for Gagner with Hemsky means to you that Horcoff is out? He's clearly a very important forward on this team. One of the "two best forwards" according to Quinn when he was talking about splitting them up. And he's a guy that Quinn's leaned on more than anyone else to this point this year. He needs to get scoring, that's true. And I think he will. His shot totals are decent, not great, but his shooting percentage is down. That'll correct itself if he keeps shooting.

Honestly, where I think Horcoff should be long-term? He should be this team's Rod Brind'Amour. I think they're very similar players. Great conditioning, great faceoff guys. Both can log a huge amount of icetime, play in every situation. Despite the emergence of Eric Staal, Brind'Amour still routinely leads his team in TOI among forwards.

Do I think that #10 is overpaid? Yes. I don't think he can live up to his contract, even if he scores 75 points this year. That's not really his problem...the deal is signed and he's getting his money. That one is on Lowe or Katz, but not on Shawn Horcoff. I'd be really happy if once in a while someone bashing Horcoff would leave the contract number out of it. Hearing some idiot behind you at the game going "$7 Million for that!?" every time Horcoff is on the ice gets tired really quickly.

I think last night was not a good measuring stick for this team. Hemsky's line will rarely put up 13 points. There will rarely be six mostly unidentified players out with the flu. We're rarely going to see the coaching staff scrambling to cover so many minutes while playing basically three centers all night. It was a great game. It was fun to watch, but it doesn't mean that Gagner has arrived yet for certain, and it certainly doesn't mean that Horcoff is a waste of space.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: Horcoff Boosters? Yup. Crickets. [message #499120 is a reply to message #499112 ]
Fri, 23 October 2009 16:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MyBestGuess  is currently offline MyBestGuess

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Fri, 23 October 2009 15:24

BTR17 wrote on Thu, 22 October 2009 23:14

Boosters? Is it over?

How come a good game for Gagner with Hemsky means to you that Horcoff is out? He's clearly a very important forward on this team. One of the "two best forwards" according to Quinn when he was talking about splitting them up. And he's a guy that Quinn's leaned on more than anyone else to this point this year. He needs to get scoring, that's true. And I think he will. His shot totals are decent, not great, but his shooting percentage is down. That'll correct itself if he keeps shooting.

Honestly, where I think Horcoff should be long-term? He should be this team's Rod Brind'Amour. I think they're very similar players. Great conditioning, great faceoff guys. Both can log a huge amount of icetime, play in every situation. Despite the emergence of Eric Staal, Brind'Amour still routinely leads his team in TOI among forwards.

Do I think that #10 is overpaid? Yes. I don't think he can live up to his contract, even if he scores 75 points this year. That's not really his problem...the deal is signed and he's getting his money. That one is on Lowe or Katz, but not on Shawn Horcoff. I'd be really happy if once in a while someone bashing Horcoff would leave the contract number out of it. Hearing some idiot behind you at the game going "$7 Million for that!?" every time Horcoff is on the ice gets tired really quickly.

I think last night was not a good measuring stick for this team. Hemsky's line will rarely put up 13 points. There will rarely be six mostly unidentified players out with the flu. We're rarely going to see the coaching staff scrambling to cover so many minutes while playing basically three centers all night. It was a great game. It was fun to watch, but it doesn't mean that Gagner has arrived yet for certain, and it certainly doesn't mean that Horcoff is a waste of space.

I agree with most of what you said Adam, but if it's the same quote I heard from Quinn a few days ago, he did not call Hemsky and Horcoff the two best Oilers. He called them, "what many of you [media] feel are the two best Oilers" or something to that effect. It actually struck me a bit odd that he himself wouldn't call them the two best Oilers, and if you heard that quote in the morning as I did, Nielson even brought up how Quinn referred to them as.

That said, I do like Horcoff a lot and know he has a higher gear. If this is the worst Horcoff will play, I'm fine with it. If he ends the season with 9 goals and 30 points, perhaps then we re-evaluate him. As for now, I still give him the benefit of the doubt. Sorry BTR17 - I'm not buying it.

Oilers Goal Horn
http://skreemr.com/link.jsp?id=6B5D44535654

Just Getting To This Now.... [message #499320 is a reply to message #499112 ]
Sun, 25 October 2009 15:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

...been away the last couple days Adam - responding now.

I think it's clear Gags is the new incumbent 1C. I think the days of Horcoff at PP1 and 1C are over under Quinn. Slotting Horcoff at 4C is a further indictment of where Pat feels 10's game is at.

As I've said many years on this site, the many battles we've had on this topic - me, saying Horcoff did not belong at 1C, you saying he was clearly a 1C - the expectations need to be adjusted.

We've gone from:

'he's a 75-point, PPG shutdown 1C'

and

'Horcoff carries Hemsky'

to

'he's at best a 3C'

Agree wholeheartedly with you re: Horcoff and Brind'amour. That's what I'd like to see. Everyone on this site would. But it's not likely, unfortunately. Playing that sort of style would require 10 actually throw bodychecks, no? For his cap hit, he SHOULD be Rod Brind'amour.

Horcoff will never perform to his contract. Kevin Lowe should have lost his job for signing it. MacT should have lost his job years ago for continuing to force a round peg into a square hole (Horcoff at 1C, PP1 minutes).

Thankfully, we're in the here and now, and this debate has withered and died - Horcoff is not the player so many suggested he was on this site. Quinn replaced the blind loyalty with real accountability. Said accountability has 10 on the 4th line tonight. Think that would have ever happened under MacT? No.

The unfortunate thing about Horcoff is that...there's no room for improvement. Imagine this player at age 35? The thought terrifies me.

And what I said re: his contract impairing the team from keeping it's other stars, those deserving of their contracts, is a clear and present danger.

All we can hope for is to see 10 embrace the checking line role, the area where he can most help this hockey club. We'll see how it goes.

Mike Emerick, on-air, after the Game 3 win over Anaheim in the 2006 Western Conference Final.

Re: Just Getting To This Now.... [message #499323 is a reply to message #499320 ]
Sun, 25 October 2009 15:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

4 Cups

Brind'Amour? You guys are all nuts. We could only be so lucky. The guy has a career high of 97 points, has been over 70 8 times, 445 goals, 1100 points...Horcoff ain't no Brind'Amour. I wish he was, but unfortunately, he's not nor will he ever close to what Brind'Amour was and is.

That's What I'm Saying... [message #499324 is a reply to message #499323 ]
Sun, 25 October 2009 15:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

...Horcoff has no shot at becoming Rod Brind'amour.

For the price this team pays...he should be Rod Bring'amour, however.

Re: Just Getting To This Now.... [message #499426 is a reply to message #499320 ]
Mon, 26 October 2009 01:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

BTR17 wrote on Sun, 25 October 2009 15:16

...been away the last couple days Adam - responding now.

I think it's clear Gags is the new incumbent 1C. I think the days of Horcoff at PP1 and 1C are over under Quinn. Slotting Horcoff at 4C is a further indictment of where Pat feels 10's game is at.

As I've said many years on this site, the many battles we've had on this topic - me, saying Horcoff did not belong at 1C, you saying he was clearly a 1C - the expectations need to be adjusted.

We've gone from:

'he's a 75-point, PPG shutdown 1C'

and

'Horcoff carries Hemsky'

to

'he's at best a 3C'

Agree wholeheartedly with you re: Horcoff and Brind'amour. That's what I'd like to see. Everyone on this site would. But it's not likely, unfortunately. Playing that sort of style would require 10 actually throw bodychecks, no? For his cap hit, he SHOULD be Rod Brind'amour.

Horcoff will never perform to his contract. Kevin Lowe should have lost his job for signing it. MacT should have lost his job years ago for continuing to force a round peg into a square hole (Horcoff at 1C, PP1 minutes).

Thankfully, we're in the here and now, and this debate has withered and died - Horcoff is not the player so many suggested he was on this site. Quinn replaced the blind loyalty with real accountability. Said accountability has 10 on the 4th line tonight. Think that would have ever happened under MacT? No.

The unfortunate thing about Horcoff is that...there's no room for improvement. Imagine this player at age 35? The thought terrifies me.

And what I said re: his contract impairing the team from keeping it's other stars, those deserving of their contracts, is a clear and present danger.

All we can hope for is to see 10 embrace the checking line role, the area where he can most help this hockey club. We'll see how it goes.

Except you can't really call it a fourth line role when he plays more minutes than any other forward on the team. As he did yet again tonight. 22:20. (In case you're wondering, Gagner played 18:09...a decent amount of minutes, and he's certainly earned his ice time with his play this season). Say what you want about accountability, but Pat Quinn trusts Horcoff in more situations than just about any player on the team, just like MacTavish did. There's only been one or two nights when he HASN'T led the team in time on the ice, and I suspect the flu bug may have played a role in that.

As for the Brind'Amour comments, Horcoff isn't going to score 96 points. But at the same time, the era that Brind'Amour did that in was a lot different. There were 13 people with 100 points that year, and at least that many more in the 90s. 70+ points now is comparable with 90+ then.

I'm right on-side with you that he's struggling right now, and doesn't seem to have a lot of confidence. I really believe he has to play better for us to keep winning games, because we're not going to do it with one line every night.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #498997 is a reply to message #498908 ]
Fri, 23 October 2009 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
azashi  is currently offline azashi

No Cups

Well, I predicted the score correctly. For a time. Then the Oilers came up with a huge gut check and pumped 5 more in the net. Seriously, the most impressive thing about this team is that gut check. They just don't quit like they used to.

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #499005 is a reply to message #498997 ]
Fri, 23 October 2009 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
McDavid97  is currently offline McDavid97

1 Cup

2/2 for predicting a scorer in the game now:)
What a game.
Now Bad
Grebs- Beat twice by the same guy on two different goals, one was also the forwards fault for not picking up his man while Gilbert had the other man
Comrie- Looked so bad, he plays stupid, dumps the puck in when he has a clear pass to a forward on the wing.
Moreau... Um dumb penalty and playing like he normally does

Good
Penner-Gagner- Hemsky
Vish - played well and what a shot
Strudwick and Chorney - they don't get much credit but they are big bodies out there and actually now how to play defense (Gilbert - Grebs should watch them)
Smid- Second game in a row where he makes a save using his body where it should have been a goal.
Bulin- Played well at the end when we needed saves
The third period was awesome.

The standing fans for Dustin Penners goal was awesome, the announcer stopped after he called his name for scoring and people stood and cheered for 30 seconds (same time Columbus took a time out) then continued with announcing assists.

People should just believe.

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #499006 is a reply to message #499005 ]
Fri, 23 October 2009 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sloiler  is currently offline sloiler

No Cups

Do you think Hemsky is getting a little POed at the fact that everyone is raving about Penner? Hemsky had a five point night also, or are we just "expecting" Hemmer to score lots and we are suprized that Penner did. Even the post game interviews were all about Penner

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #499008 is a reply to message #499006 ]
Fri, 23 October 2009 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

2 Cups

sloiler wrote on Fri, 23 October 2009 08:44

Do you think Hemsky is getting a little POed at the fact that everyone is raving about Penner? Hemsky had a five point night also, or are we just "expecting" Hemmer to score lots and we are suprized that Penner did. Even the post game interviews were all about Penner

I think the reasoning for the focus on Penner is his going coming out and being the force the offer sheet said he could be. We actually witnessed it.

No slag on Hemsky, he is and the elite of our team. We are just marvelled at the show Penner put on.

Hemsky, well he is a different pedigree than Penner. Our expectations are higher, naturally.

Hemsky should have nothing to scoff at, we salute him on more than one occasion!

[Updated on: Fri, 23 October 2009 08:53]

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #499033 is a reply to message #499008 ]
Fri, 23 October 2009 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Rocksteady wrote on Fri, 23 October 2009 08:47

Hemsky should have nothing to scoff at, we salute him on more than one occasion!

Yeah. Either that or some geniuses on here go on and on about how we should trade him after a slow start.

After all, Hemsky is selfish and doesnt help this team. Hemsky doenst care. He turns the puck over to much. He doesnt backcheck enough. Hemsky was the problem, and the reason the first line wasnt producing (never mind he was close to a ppg even before tonight).

These guys have been conspicuous by their absence tonight. Funny how that goes.

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #499039 is a reply to message #499033 ]
Fri, 23 October 2009 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

3 Cups

ales_freaking_hemsky wrote on Fri, 23 October 2009 10:42

Yeah. Either that or some geniuses on here go on and on about how we should trade him after a slow start.

After all, Hemsky is selfish and doesnt help this team. Hemsky doenst care. He turns the puck over to much. He doesnt backcheck enough. Hemsky was the problem, and the reason the first line wasnt producing (never mind he was close to a ppg even before tonight).

Trade Hemsky!

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #499043 is a reply to message #499039 ]
Fri, 23 October 2009 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Magnum P.S. wrote on Fri, 23 October 2009 11:02

Trade Hemsky!

And fire MacT! icon_wink

Hemsky did look inspired last night. Penner makes the player she plays with better. Penner also looked like he loved last night, and they both looked like they loved playing together again.

I wonder how Horcoff feels about the first line's success?

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #499046 is a reply to message #499043 ]
Fri, 23 October 2009 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vsove  is currently offline vsove

1 Cup

oilerinvan wrote on Fri, 23 October 2009 11:22

Trade Hemsky!

And fire MacT! icon_wink

Hemsky did look inspired last night. Penner makes the player she plays with better. Penner also looked like he loved last night, and they both looked like they loved playing together again.

Honestly, probably motivated to work harder. Whatever else you say about the guy (and he is not having a good season - his contract is definitely an albatross at this point) he is not a lazy or selfish guy. He works hard, and I'm sure he's just as frustrated as any of the fans at his lack of success thus far.

I really, really hope Penner keeps it up. I'd like to take those Bertuzzi comparisons I made amongst friends and rub a little salt in the wound.

No Mo' Lowe | Fire McLellan | Fire everyone.

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #499051 is a reply to message #499046 ]
Fri, 23 October 2009 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

1 Cup

vsove wrote on Fri, 23 October 2009 11:30

oilerinvan wrote on Fri, 23 October 2009 11:22

Trade Hemsky!

And fire MacT! icon_wink

Honestly, probably motivated to work harder. Whatever else you say about the guy (and he is not having a good season - his contract is definitely an albatross at this point) he is not a lazy or selfish guy. He works hard, and I'm sure he's just as frustrated as any of the fans at his lack of success thus far.

I really, really hope Penner keeps it up. I'd like to take those Bertuzzi comparisons I made amongst friends and rub a little salt in the wound.

I think all of your comments on Horcoff are correct vsove. Maybe it will even help him to be moved down the depth chart and have less attention focused on him, especiially from an offensive production stand point.

If he ends up being an expensive shut-down center, important faceoff guy, and penalty killer, I think I will be cool with that. So long as he plays stellar shut-down defense...

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #499053 is a reply to message #499051 ]
Fri, 23 October 2009 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

oilerinvan wrote on Fri, 23 October 2009 11:39

If he ends up being an expensive shut-down center, important faceoff guy, and penalty killer, I think I will be cool with that. So long as he plays stellar shut-down defense...

That is definately the role he is best suited for. Given his salary it isnt exactly ideal, but yeah I agree. Better to have him excel there and be overpaid, than to have the square peg that is Horcoff conitinually jammed into the round hole that is the 1C position.

Pages (4): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #11)
Next Topic:Oilers Recall Theo Peckham
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca