This day on July 6
Acquired: Daniel Tjarnqvist (2006)
Departed: Ty Conklin (2006) Toby Petersen (2007) Brad Winchester (2007)

Happy Birthday To: Djwolfman, wolfman, OilFanAlways, Doushokutoaoiro, Dannycaper

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #59)Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Review: [message #464988 is a reply to message #464985 ]
Sat, 21 February 2009 23:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
scotiaoiler  is currently offline scotiaoiler

No Cups

I don't like what he is saying about the trade deadline, I think he will ove pay for an over rated player. There will be no building for the future here. We are a trade or 2 away from being a contender. Lowe makes me sick

Send a private message to this user  

It's weird, eh? [message #465069 is a reply to message #464985 ]
Sun, 22 February 2009 16:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AY  is currently offline AY

1 Cup

The media baits 'im and he just runs with it like a blushin' twelve-year old schoolgirl!

Lowe knows it's 2009, right?

I mean, come on already. It's embarrassing watchin' him act like such a has-been.

Re: Review: [message #465040 is a reply to message #464984 ]
Sun, 22 February 2009 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Art Vandelay  is currently offline Art Vandelay

No Cups

E-townchamps wrote on Sun, 22 February 2009 01:09

MyBestGuess wrote on Sat, 21 February 2009 22:58

I absolutely want to puke right now. Effing Vancouver finding ways to snag points and we're finding ways to give them away.

Coaching let us down - MacT should have taken a time out on the 5-on-3 and why we didn't send a D out with 10 seconds in OT is ridiculous. MacT had the wrong guys on the shootout and I'm just embarrassed for this team right now. puke

no it didn't...Lowe built a team of soft pansies that couldn't win a puck battle to save their lives

a 4 on 3 in OT and you clowns can't even set up??? it was amateur hour out there

The blame falls on all of them, from the front office on down.

A team full of softies with too much dependency on young players who simply aren't ready to shoulder the load. Weak special teams, weak defensively, and a lack of execution offensively. Continuous changes to the lineup destroys any sort of chemistry, as does bringing in marginal players from the farm with the thought that "we can win from within."

I hope Tambellini realizes what the problems are and addresses them accordingly, and it starts at this trade deadline. Something has to be done, a 9th year of the same mediocre stuff isn't going to cut it. Not when we were promised the world with the new CBA.

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #59) [message #464989 is a reply to message #464927 ]
Sat, 21 February 2009 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kungpaobenji27  is currently offline kungpaobenji27

No Cups

More random thoughts:

1) There have got to be 4 forwards on the first PP unit, and 4 forwards on the second unit with Souray on the 1, and Gilbert on the 2 as both guys do not have any chemistry whatsoever with the man advantage.

2) I'm laughing so hard at Cassie Campbell right now, lol

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #59) [message #464993 is a reply to message #464989 ]
Sat, 21 February 2009 23:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Babaganoosh  is currently offline Babaganoosh

1 Cup

Im starting to thing Gilbert has an injury of some sort that is limiting his options out there as he has a good slapper but seems to be very reluctant to use it at all.

" If you have anything good to say, say it off!"

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #59) [message #464995 is a reply to message #464989 ]
Sat, 21 February 2009 23:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
halfafrog  is currently offline halfafrog

1 Cup

Well, we are a trade or two away from being a contender.

Either trade away the coach and GM

Or trade for all of Detroit's team

Or maybe that nice young and upcoming team from Chicago that works hard and hits hard and doens't turn over the puck like school girls at every opportunity.

I thought Cole and Penner were physical, as was Reddox.

Gilbert's pinch that failed on the Flames first goal was sad. I thought it was a low percentage play but he did it anyways.

I get anxiety whenever we get to the last two minutes because this teams M.O. is to lay off because it is only an 18 minute period right? How many times have we been scored again in the last freaken 2 minutes of a period now. It's brutal.

So this is what hope feels like?

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #59) [message #464996 is a reply to message #464927 ]
Sat, 21 February 2009 23:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oilfanforever!!  is currently offline Oilfanforever!!

No Cups

Yeah - I think the Oilers are to the NHL what Cassie Campbell, Marc Crawford and whoever the play-by-play guy are to broadcasting!!! Yikes!!
Never heard a play-by-play guy butcher the name Gagner so bad before!!
Did Crawford actually say Horc was the best forward out there tonight!!? Sure he won more draws but my grandmother has better hands!!!
Hello!!? How bout Erik Cole? Best game from him in a long time!! Where was Penner? He play tonight? Is Gibby trying to play that bad or does it come natural?!!
In the end a point is a point and i'll take what I can get at this time of year but that shootout essentially encapsulated our season in a nutshell!! almost poetic if it wasn't so sad!! angryfire

"McDavid is as good as I’ve seen in the last 30 years, the best player to come into the league in the last 30 years." Gretzky

"I think it goes without saying that there is a lot of pressure on me," McDavid

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #59) [message #464998 is a reply to message #464927 ]
Sat, 21 February 2009 23:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

...and did I actually hear MacT say in the post game that they need help asap on defense!!?
Can we possibly look any more desperate!!?
Pinch me please - I really really hope i'm dreaming this season!!!
Oh well, at least it's only our 30th season and not our 100th!! lol - yes that was a jab at the Habs!! faint
Wow!!

"McDavid is as good as I’ve seen in the last 30 years, the best player to come into the league in the last 30 years." Gretzky

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #59) [message #464999 is a reply to message #464927 ]
Sat, 21 February 2009 23:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Superintendent  is currently offline Superintendent

1 Cup

That first Calgary goal stung. Moreau could have checked Iginla with a little friggin jump in his step, instead he chooses to point with his stick assuming Smid (who was useless on that play as well) will get him.

I have nothing new to add in regards to the shootout.

Decent game by MacIntyre...place would have gone nuts if he could have tapped one of those two goalmouth scrambles in.

Stings...but we did gain a point on CBJ and DAL but the teams behing us gained some ground.

Springfield wins in a shootout (although gave up a goal with 3:01 left in the game to tank the lead)
Oilkings lose in a shootout (and gave up a goal with 34 seconds left to relinquish the lead)

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #59) [message #465000 is a reply to message #464999 ]
Sun, 22 February 2009 00:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilLife  is currently offline OilLife

No Cups

This is a tale of two stories, MacT's lack of coaching abilities and Lowe's lack of understanding this team and recognize which players to keep and which to show the door. The problem here is neither is on the same page, if so Reasoner and Glencross would still be here and Pouliot and Stortini would be elsewhere sucking it up for some unsuspecting victims.

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #59) [message #465038 is a reply to message #464999 ]
Sun, 22 February 2009 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Longcat  is currently offline Longcat

No Cups

The Oilers are so inconsistent that people on this board can't even put their finger on what is wrong with the team.

Blaming goaltending? :shakes head:

Oilers are a mediocre/bad team playing in a league full of mediocre bad teams. That is why they're still in the playoff hunt along with every other team in the conference it seems.

Last nights game was boring as hell. Both teams looked terrible, the ice was terrible, nothing much to say but terrible.

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 12 February 2008 14:57

I'm just going to say it, this Longcat fellow is quite possibly the best poster on Oilfans.

Re: Review: [message #465005 is a reply to message #464927 ]
Sun, 22 February 2009 01:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dr. Oil  is currently offline Dr. Oil

1 Cup

I'm almost as bothered by this loss as I am by the Canucks' continued horseshoe-anus. It is downright distressing to be in this city when those clowns are winning hockey games, even worse when my team is so easy to make fun of.

I don't remember an Oilers team ever that looked this feeble in a losing (and often winning) cause. The consistent ability to look terrible qualitatively and quantitatively is just hard to ignore... there have been seasons with far worse records, but I almost find myself longing for the days when we used to say "we totally outplayed the other team but came up short."

We had Cory effin' Sarich look like Bobby Orr on one play. We had the most embarrassing OT power play in history, followed by the most embarrassing shootout effort. We gave a guy a clean breakaway with 3 seconds left in OT! All of this on Hockey Day in Canada, and on home ice.

While other teams (DAL, VAN, CBJ) appear serious about stretching comfortably into 5-7th place, the Oilers are in no rush to attain anything too far away from the 8-9th spots. That would just be weird.

Re: Review: [message #465010 is a reply to message #465005 ]
Sun, 22 February 2009 01:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cosmicheretic  is currently offline cosmicheretic

No Cups

Was i the only one bothered by the fact that Moreau and Mac had some of the best chances of the game? Granted those two have no hands but where is the contribution from our 'offensive players'? Get a coach that can motivate these guys already.

[Updated on: Sun, 22 February 2009 01:41]

Re: Review: [message #465019 is a reply to message #465005 ]
Sun, 22 February 2009 03:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Couldn't have summed it up any better!!

Re: Review: [message #465007 is a reply to message #464927 ]
Sun, 22 February 2009 01:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

4 Cups

I actually don't think the sky is falling. It's been a rough week but look at the games:

- A very gritty effort against San Jose resulting in not getting kicked in the teeth as bad as most predicted.

- A close game in Dallas tipped against the Oilers mostly due to Moreau's stupidity.

- A close game against Calgary that essentially ended in a tie.

Just 3 tough matchups in a row. Schedule gets easier as we enter March (When we have the annual 18-5 finish). I can't believe I'm feeling upbeat about this teams chances.

Re: Review: [message #465012 is a reply to message #465007 ]
Sun, 22 February 2009 01:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

By the way...Mac T embarrasses me in interviews to no end. I can't stand to listen to him any more. My buddy's girlfriend thinks he is a coke-head because he is always wiping his nose. He was buddies with Grant so who knows?

Re: Review: [message #465020 is a reply to message #465012 ]
Sun, 22 February 2009 03:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Watching MacT's post games lately - anyone else get the sense that he's really really tired of answering the same questions!!? lol He just seems really worn out and maybe it's because he knows his job is on the line if no post season? Oh wait - forgot he's alumni!! Never mind!! boom

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #59) [message #465013 is a reply to message #464927 ]
Sun, 22 February 2009 02:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

5 Cups

Horcoff finally starting to look like Horcoff. Two solid assists on both goals and dominated the face offs.

Cole looked pretty good too.

Interesting experiment having Penner-Horcoff-Cole and Nillson-Gagner-Hemsky.

No depth though to back up the first line though. The kids are still slumped this season and haven't found a way to climb out of the valley. I'm sure they'll have it back next season, but difficult to watch the short term.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #59) [message #465014 is a reply to message #465013 ]
Sun, 22 February 2009 02:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

nullterm wrote on Sun, 22 February 2009 02:14

Horcoff finally starting to look like Horcoff. Two solid assists on both goals and dominated the face offs.

Cole looked pretty good too.

Interesting experiment having Penner-Horcoff-Cole and Nillson-Gagner-Hemsky.

No depth though to back up the first line though. The kids are still slumped this season and haven't found a way to climb out of the valley. I'm sure they'll have it back next season, but difficult to watch the short term.

Yeah my Flyer fan buddy likened it to the Carter / Richards sophmore slump. He said they will be better next year and I hope he is right.

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #59) [message #465015 is a reply to message #465013 ]
Sun, 22 February 2009 02:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DeZoE  is currently offline DeZoE

No Cups

Cole's best game of the year IMO. He's playing his way out of this town. Knows that we're going to sell and he wants to go to a contender. Not re-signing here if he's smart. Who can't see this ship sinking and sinking fast.

I'm not wearing pants...

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #59) [message #465021 is a reply to message #464927 ]
Sun, 22 February 2009 04:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nae17  is currently offline nae17

No Cups

Our special teams... Powerplay in particular kill us again tonight. Really tough to watch our PP lately.

That goal near the end was just a heartbreaker though. hate seeing that, especially to calgary.

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #59) [message #465022 is a reply to message #464927 ]
Sun, 22 February 2009 05:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oilertime  is currently offline Oilertime

No Cups

I was at the game. The zamboni drivers did an awful job before the shootout, I was sitting behind the Flames net and you could see the missed a huge patch in the slot. The puck was bouncing all night as well.

Someone other than Hemsky needs to move their feet on the PP. Someone will always be tight on Souray, but they keep passing it to him. No creativity at all.

Horcoff and Cole looked good. MacIntyre got a couple chances on goal mouth scrambles.

Roli was excellent. Can't fault him on either goal. Tap in and a nice shot by Lombardi through a screen.

https://twitter.com/Reggie__11

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #59) [message #465027 is a reply to message #465022 ]
Sun, 22 February 2009 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
feepa  is currently offline feepa

1 Cup

Oilertime wrote on Sun, 22 February 2009 05:47

Horcoff and Cole looked good. MacIntyre got a couple chances on goal mouth scrambles.

Cept Horcoff can't hit a wide open empty net late in the third to seal the deal. Typical Horcoff fashion. He also missed a brillant setup from Hemsky earlier too on the power play.

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #59) [message #465037 is a reply to message #465027 ]
Sun, 22 February 2009 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jets Fan  is currently offline Jets Fan

No Cups

The shoot out sucked but those are still the 3 players I would send out every time.
I thought Smid was excellent, he seems to have turned a corner in the same way that Grebs did last year.
If Stortini is on your third line your team is not good enough.

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #59) [message #465043 is a reply to message #465037 ]
Sun, 22 February 2009 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GoOilGo  is currently offline GoOilGo

No Cups

Im not sure if its the coaching or if its the players, but this sit back and try to hold on to a lead late in the game is frustrating to say the least. It seems like too many games have been lost because of the last 5 minutes and us sitting back on heals and giving up. Also wasn't really impressed with cole. Had a nice goal early on but it just seemsed to me that he lacked passion, just didn't seem to care if he lost the puck or lost a battle. I don't see him hear next year.

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #59) [message #465048 is a reply to message #464927 ]
Sun, 22 February 2009 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilerinvan  is currently offline oilerinvan

1 Cup

Not even Moreau screaming at Smid to pick up Iginla got him to do it on the first goal. Nilsson was junk, and Roloson after 59 excellent minutes let's in a bad one and then looked bad in the SO. We needed to score on the 5 on 3.

Cogliano was good and Iliked Reddox' game too. Tough loss after a decent effort in some categories.

Horcoff and MacIntyre rule.

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #59) [message #465056 is a reply to message #465048 ]
Sun, 22 February 2009 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

2 Cups

Nope, you can't tag this loss on Roli, he came up stellar. If you thgink he should have stopped the tying goal you didn't see that the defensive pairing on that goal were BOTH on the right side, then streaking past Roli on the shot, causing him to lose focus.

Roli didn't lose this one gang and anyone who thinks goaltending was at fault in this game needs to sit down and re-watch the game. If you get up and still think that, you're blind, dumb, and were watching the wrong channel.

Defensive core blew this one. In the final 20 seconds the entire defense let up allowing Roli to stand in the way of the shot. Thank god he stopped it.

This team decided to let its foot off the accelerator at the WORST possible time.

Bad loss. Bad team. will = no playoffs.

Missed it.......by that much.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #59) [message #465057 is a reply to message #465056 ]
Sun, 22 February 2009 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilerinvan  is currently offline oilerinvan

1 Cup

Rocksteady wrote on Sun, 22 February 2009 13:53

Nope, you can't tag this loss on Roli, he came up stellar. If you thgink he should have stopped the tying goal you didn't see that the defensive pairing on that goal were BOTH on the right side, then streaking past Roli on the shot, causing him to lose focus.

I am not tagging it on Roloson. I am saying I think it was one he could have had. A good shot, but stoppable. I'd tag the PP if I was going to blame one thing.

Horcoff and MacIntyre rule.

Good eyes son... [message #465067 is a reply to message #465048 ]
Sun, 22 February 2009 16:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AY  is currently offline AY

1 Cup

you bet'cha that was core member Moreau doin' his darndest to direct Smidly.

Unfortunately, Smidly wasn't able to make the play and it cost the Oilers. Gilbert didn't look smart on that play, either.

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:GDT: Tampa Bay @ Edmonton (Game #60)
Next Topic:GDT: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #59)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca