This day on July 5
Acquired: Scott Ferguson (2000) Allan Rourke (2007)
Departed: Georges Laraque (2006) Jaroslav Spacek (2006) Jan Hejda (2007)

Happy Birthday To: anm8r, shannon23, homeof99, DanW91

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #52)Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #52) [message #462049 is a reply to message #462044 ]
Sun, 08 February 2009 00:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

V wrote on Sun, 08 February 2009 00:13

You get there with age. I'm pretty sure that's how I got to this stage.

You aren't that old V, at least I don't think so. You got to this point naturally. see? no roof jokes!

East of the Rockies and west of the rest.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #52) [message #462052 is a reply to message #462049 ]
Sun, 08 February 2009 01:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
V  is currently offline V

No Cups

I turn 30 on Tuesday. I've always thought that was old. I'm pretty sure it still is.

Good thing. There hasn't been a roof joke on here in ages. I think there's about 3 people left that would get it.

Adam wrote on Tue, 22 April 2008 11:39

V is quite possibly the best poster on Oilfans.

Suck it J$.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #52) [message #462053 is a reply to message #462052 ]
Sun, 08 February 2009 01:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

It could be worse. You could be turning 20 and not yet realize you're an idiot.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #52) [message #462067 is a reply to message #462052 ]
Sun, 08 February 2009 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
goffer48  is currently offline goffer48

No Cups

V wrote on Sun, 08 February 2009 01:06

I turn 30 on Tuesday. I've always thought that was old. I'm pretty sure it still is.

Good thing. There hasn't been a roof joke on here in ages. I think there's about 3 people left that would get it.

GAWWWD !! ..... I wish I was turning 30 on my next Birthday !! moon

-Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
-Don't mess with old folks, they didn't get old by being stupid.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #52) [message #462119 is a reply to message #462067 ]
Sun, 08 February 2009 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

goffer48 wrote on Sun, 08 February 2009 09:02

Don't worry old balls. 75 is the new 30.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #52) [message #462124 is a reply to message #462119 ]
Sun, 08 February 2009 11:58 Go to previous message
goffer48  is currently offline goffer48

No Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Sun, 08 February 2009 11:44

goffer48 wrote on Sun, 08 February 2009 09:02

Don't worry old balls. 75 is the new 30.

MJ .... ?? What happened to the middle finger icon ?? ...... Waddaya mean there never was one !! OK OK .... I surrender Wave Towel

-Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
-Don't mess with old folks, they didn't get old by being stupid.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #52) [message #462028 is a reply to message #461993 ]
Sat, 07 February 2009 22:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
knits39  is currently offline knits39

No Cups

It is time to blow up this team. There is absolutely no leadership on this team and the coaching staff does not make anybody accountable. The comments made by MacT and our supposed captain Moreau at the end of the game are embarrassing. "We competed hard" is the comment that was thrown out at the end of the game. There is not one team in the league that would put up with those statements.

I am embarrassed that our coaching staff continually calls out Nilsson, Brodziak, Penner and Pouliot. Sure their effort in alot of games is questionable but when is it time that they start calling out Horcoff, Moreau and Staios and the other supposed leaders of this team. Gagner has been absolutely terrible for the most part this year and I cannot recall MacT ever mentioning this. Instead after getting killed 10-2 by a middle of the pack Sabres team - Penner, Brodziak and Pouliot are bag skated. What ever happened to win as a team - lose as a team!!! Do you think that sets an example for the rest of the squad.

What will happen after this humiliation? My guess is that the coach will blame once again the third and fourth line never acknowledging the stupid penalty our goalie took a minute into the game to put us behind the eight ball from the get go. Staios will continue to play top line minutes. Moreau will be moved up to the top line to play with Hemsky and Reddox will be played out of position in the top 2 lines. This is getting worse and we as fans are the most frustrated as MacT and his leaders get the free pass!!!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #52) [message #461986 is a reply to message #461933 ]
Sat, 07 February 2009 18:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

5 Cups

We can get a win tomorrow and it'll erase the bad memories.... not.

This team needs a long look in the mirror, for starters. Then start retooling.

Luckily I taped the game as was able to fast forward through most of it. Fate was merciful today.

Moreau's and MacT's post game comments leave alot to be desired. No anger, no fire, no desire.

[Updated on: Sat, 07 February 2009 18:13]

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #52) [message #461989 is a reply to message #461933 ]
Sat, 07 February 2009 18:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rod.Oracheski  is currently offline Rod.Oracheski

No Cups

Quote:

"We wanted to emphasize the start," Detroit coach Mike Babcock said. "(Edmonton) is in the eighth (playoff) spot. That means it's a playoff game for them."

Should be quite the playoff run for us then...

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #52) [message #461991 is a reply to message #461933 ]
Sat, 07 February 2009 18:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Raggamuffin Rascal  is currently offline Raggamuffin Rascal

No Cups

Does anyone know where I can buy Baydan shoes (the same type shoe thrown at Bush, I think) so I can throw them at MacT and Moreau for that post-game interview.

Pathetic.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #52)M [message #461998 is a reply to message #461991 ]
Sat, 07 February 2009 19:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

2 Cups

MacT doesn't have the ninja skills that Bush displayed. He'd just get hit in the head, and then he'd call you a debacle of monumental proportions. Then he's say he wants a do over and get you to throw another shoe. However the results will stay the same. Then he will just give you that ol' look of confusion with his mouth open. Lastly, he will say that the shoe just didn't catch a bounce.

Clean house or bust

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #52)M [message #461999 is a reply to message #461998 ]
Sat, 07 February 2009 19:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
KCrounder  is currently offline KCrounder

No Cups

I want a do over........

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #52) [message #461995 is a reply to message #461933 ]
Sat, 07 February 2009 19:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Longcat  is currently offline Longcat

No Cups

Look at all these people being all mad on the internet.

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 12 February 2008 14:57

I'm just going to say it, this Longcat fellow is quite possibly the best poster on Oilfans.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #52) [message #462001 is a reply to message #461995 ]
Sat, 07 February 2009 19:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
danjo  is currently offline danjo

No Cups

Maybe its the fans fault for putting so much pressure on the players. icon_rolleyes

What a waste of an afternoon...

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #52) [message #462004 is a reply to message #462001 ]
Sat, 07 February 2009 19:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Regulator  is currently offline Regulator

No Cups

I'm not joking when I say this, but are we the 2nd worst team in the league?

I can only look at the Islanders as having a worse current / future situation than us.

Tampa Bay still have Vinny, and seem to be rebuilding and have the tools.

LA have a great young team, and I have been impressed every time I have seen them.

St Louis have had a lot of major injuries and have still played relatively well.

Clb played great in the game I watched today, and have a much harder working / better overall balanced team than the Oil.

PHX have an amazing core of young players, and are actually allowing their prospects to play and get used to the NHL level of play.

Florida depending on who they get for JBo may also be better set up than the Oil.

Difference b/w these teams - salary cap and contracts, Oil seem to be handcuffed way more on 3rd line players - Horcoff/Penner etc.

The Oil have no salary cap room, and whole bunch paid on 3/4 players who are completely overpaid, and they are still yet to find a 1st line player to play with Hemmer.

I'm sorry for being so pessimistic, but I really do not see much light at the end of the tunnel with the current management and players - we need to move some big salary and quick, and give some young guys (Brule/Potulny/Schremp/Peckham) a chance to play.

[Updated on: Sat, 07 February 2009 20:02]

dkb19 wrote on Mon, 20 July 2009 13:05 (re: Horcoff)

He's like a mastercard comercial, alot of what he does is priceless.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #52) [message #462025 is a reply to message #462004 ]
Sat, 07 February 2009 22:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oilfanforever!!  is currently offline Oilfanforever!!

No Cups

You know - it's funny - sad but funny:)
Was watching the highlights of the Bluejackets/Sharks game tonight and the first thing I thought to myself was WOW! That's how the Oilers I grew up watching USED to be!!
Hitting everything in sight - outhustling their opponent - playing with heart and urgency!!!
I really really miss those days!! They seem so long ago but yet the frustrating thing is that this current version CAN have those things if they just get their heads out of their butts!!!
Absolutely nothing is stopping this team from playing like that!!! NOTHING!!! angryfire

"McDavid is as good as I’ve seen in the last 30 years, the best player to come into the league in the last 30 years." Gretzky

"I think it goes without saying that there is a lot of pressure on me," McDavid

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #52) [message #462011 is a reply to message #461933 ]
Sat, 07 February 2009 21:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilerinvan  is currently offline oilerinvan

1 Cup

I am currently embarassed to be an Oilers' fan. Honestly, I am not even telling people out here any more. And when they tell me "Edmonton sucks", I am going to have no choice but to agree with them.

We are not a good hockey team, and it is not even in one way, it is in many ways. IMO there is basically nothing we could do to make this team a contender this season, and IMO we don't deserve to make the playoffs.

I am not a management or coach basher at all, but we are basically the laughing stock of the league right now. How many other teams in the league have even had 8 or more goals scored against them? And this is our third absolute thrashing. Not to mention we have shown up for maybe, maybe, 4 games all season. We are soft, our team D is basically crap, we lack in toughness, and guys willing to go to the net, our goaltending is OK every now and again, our PK and faceoffs continue to suck, we make bad choices way too much, we love giveaways, our PP which should be good licks, our goals against is brutal, our goals for sucks too... we are not a good hockey team. At all. We need changes.

We basically have to go 8-2 over the next 10 to not be in sell mode come the trade deadline. We are not going to. This team is not good enough. There are too many core components missing.

We have enough time now to get a new coaching staff and get rid of most of the old managment before the deadline. I say we do so. Lowe is responsible for this sad bunch.

Horcoff and MacIntyre rule.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #52) [message #462021 is a reply to message #462011 ]
Sat, 07 February 2009 21:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

5 Cups

oilerinvan wrote on Sat, 07 February 2009 20:14

We have enough time now to get a new coaching staff and get rid of most of the old managment before the deadline. I say we do so. Lowe is responsible for this sad bunch.

Trade deadline might be a good way to get a couple of our inflated contracts off the books. Late in the season so they only take a fraction of their salary. Some players I'd rather keep, but too much cap hit for what they bring. If the team wants to be successful down the road, shedding as many as those as possible will be essential.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #52) [message #462016 is a reply to message #461933 ]
Sat, 07 February 2009 21:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Detroit out hit us 16 - 15.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #52) [message #462017 is a reply to message #462016 ]
Sat, 07 February 2009 21:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

oilerinvan wrote on Sat, 07 February 2009 21:33

yeah, but we covered the spread on that one.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #52) [message #462020 is a reply to message #462017 ]
Sat, 07 February 2009 21:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

CrusaderPi wrote on Sat, 07 February 2009 21:34

oilerinvan wrote on Sat, 07 February 2009 21:33

yeah, but we covered the spread on that one.

Thank God. Otherwise we would have looked like total pussies.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #52) [message #462030 is a reply to message #462020 ]
Sat, 07 February 2009 23:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shooter  is currently offline Shooter

No Cups

"Like swedes and Finns playing in December"

Love that line........

Here's a free lesson......

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #52) [message #462072 is a reply to message #461933 ]
Sun, 08 February 2009 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ChasinStanley  is currently offline ChasinStanley

1 Cup

This is a telling Stat for this season

Quote:

It was the ninth time this season that an NHL team had scored eight or more goals, with the Oilers the victims on three of those occasions - including twice since the All-Star break.

And the reason we allow 8 goals or more 3/9 times, complacency

Quote:

"It's hard to find positives in an 8-3 loss, but a lot of guys competed really hard," Edmonton left wing Ethan Moreau said. "... It's a process. We have 30 games left. If we continue to do things right and fix areas that need to be fixed, we'll be fine."

[Updated on: Sun, 08 February 2009 09:23]

Renaissance 2015

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #52) [message #462096 is a reply to message #462072 ]
Sun, 08 February 2009 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Unscarred  is currently offline Unscarred

No Cups

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/edmonton-oilers /Oilers+lose+Wings/1265659/story.html

The last two paragraphs are perfect examples of why this team continues on the path it's on.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #52) [message #462098 is a reply to message #462072 ]
Sun, 08 February 2009 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
azashi  is currently offline azashi

No Cups

It's a PROCESS?!

A PROCESS?! No. This year we weren't supposed to be in bend-over mode. This year we were supposed to be fighting for 5th or 6th in the conference.

Screw it.

Who's up for an actual, physical, show-up-outside-Rexall-and-protest-the-complacency-and-manag ement thing? Signs, banners, no tide as opposed to Lowetide, new coach, and Mr. Tamborine man the Lowe mouthpiece out.

I'm fed up.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #52) [message #462121 is a reply to message #462098 ]
Sun, 08 February 2009 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marc  is currently offline Marc

No Cups

I would, but I am soo far away. That is a good idea, really

"Third? Not third in the West, either? Overall? I think that... well. marijuana's legal in some areas." Whitney on Oilers being ranked #3 by SI

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #53)
Next Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #52)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca