This day on October 1
Acquired: Ray Whitney (1997) Jim Dowd (1998) Marty McSorley (1998) Mikhail Shtalenkov (1998)
Departed: Curt Brackenbury (1982) Randy Gregg (1990) Drake Berehowsky (1998) Greg de Vries (1998)

Happy Birthday To: JOIL, budo91, Alberta Clipper, sueboy, Oilforbrains, Jeremyd88, eedok

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Rod Phillips last year?
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Rod Phillips last year? [message #433041]
Tue, 12 August 2008 10:36 Go to next message
all_oil  is currently offline all_oil

No Cups

Well another slow day in Oiler land so I was cruising around the usual blogs and I thought that this merited a thread. Over at Oilersnation Robin Brownlee wrote a pretty good piece on what might be Rod Phillips last year as Oilers play by play.

http://www.oilersnation.com/index2.php/2008/08/11/the-skippe r-sails-on/

I think it doesn't matter who you are, all Oiler fans have listened to Phillips almost give himself a hemmorage every game. The guy is a great broadcastor, and is the definite voice of the Oilers. Growing up I remember listening to him calling the games and it offers a lot of good memories or sitting around with family around the radio.

Any good stories when it comes to Rod Phillips? I'm sure I'm not the only one that has his voiced wrapped up all sorts of Oiler memories.

http://www.jeanshortsandbaggedmilk.com "

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Rod Phillips last year? [message #433042 is a reply to message #433041 ]
Tue, 12 August 2008 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MrOiler  is currently offline MrOiler

No Cups

You have to love the man's passion for the Oil.

http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/rr109/MrOiler/Oilers/id_banner3.jpg

Re: Rod Phillips last year? [message #433044 is a reply to message #433041 ]
Tue, 12 August 2008 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dekes  is currently offline Dekes

No Cups

My favorite (although I'm a little sketchy on the details) was when the Oil were playing Dallas about 6-8 years ago. Laraque squares off with one of their young guys tryiong to make a name for himself and proceeds to beat the crap out of him.

Rod screams during the commentary "Savage beating, it's a savage beating!!"

Fight

Re: Rod Phillips last year? [message #433045 is a reply to message #433044 ]
Tue, 12 August 2008 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cableguy  is currently offline cableguy

1 Cup

Not too many guys have called bigger games and bigger goals than Rod. Gretzky's 50th in 39, Gretzky's 1851st point, 5 cups, he'd be a fun guy to sit down with and talk to about his best Oiler memories.
One of the best is his call of Marchants game 7 OT goal against Dallas, I remember being able to call a number the Journal had set up the next day so you could listen to the clip over and over again. Magical. announce

Playin Bad for Ekblad

Re: Rod Phillips last year? [message #433049 is a reply to message #433041 ]
Tue, 12 August 2008 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

1 Cup

I don't want to start a war because I have a lot of respect for the guy but it's already past time for him to step down.

Re: Rod Phillips last year? [message #433050 is a reply to message #433049 ]
Tue, 12 August 2008 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cableguy  is currently offline cableguy

1 Cup

NetBOG wrote on Tue, 12 August 2008 12:25

I don't want to start a war because I have a lot of respect for the guy but it's already past time for him to step down.

Fair enough, why?

Playin Bad for Ekblad

Re: Rod Phillips last year? [message #433051 is a reply to message #433050 ]
Tue, 12 August 2008 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Superintendent  is currently offline Superintendent

1 Cup

cableguy wrote on Tue, 12 August 2008 12:27

NetBOG wrote on Tue, 12 August 2008 12:25

Fair enough, why?

Rod could do this job for 5 more years if it only amounted to calling goals and fights. I have a hard time listening to Rod's general game play-by-play. He doesn't seem to recognize opposing players quickly, stumbles over his words, is slow to catch the play, etc...I didn't realize how challenging it was until I got an XM radio and could listen to other team's broadcasts. While many of the other guys do not do as good a job celebrating a goal or coming up with a catchy phrase from time to time, they were far superior in the accuracy of their call and could really give you a mental image of the game (whereas with Rod I sometimes can't tell which end of the ice they are in).

Rod's a great guy and it's been a helluva ride...but in a game as fast as hockey and with so many players on each side...it's tougher on an older broadcaster (unlike in baseball and football where there's lots of time between the action to collect thoughts).

Re: Rod Phillips last year? [message #433054 is a reply to message #433051 ]
Tue, 12 August 2008 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Beerfish Revisited  is currently offline Beerfish Revisited

2 Cups

Oh what a save by Eddie Mio!!!

Let's see, Oilers vs the Penguins, after Semenko beats Kim clackson for about teh 3rd time in the game all hell breaks lose. Rod: "They should call out the police!"

Rod was the perfect announcer for the perfect team and perfect time period in the early 80's.

If Rod ends up retiring and Bryan Hall is still calling Eskie games I'll hurl.

Re: Rod Phillips last year? [message #433055 is a reply to message #433054 ]
Tue, 12 August 2008 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
all_oil  is currently offline all_oil

No Cups

Beerfish Revisited wrote on Tue, 12 August 2008 13:48

Let's see, Oilers vs the Penguins, after Semenko beats Kim clackson for about teh 3rd time in the game all hell breaks lose. Rod: "They should call out the police!"

Rod was the perfect announcer for the perfect team and perfect time period in the early 80's.

Listening to Eskimo broadcasts are painful. Brian Hall is the worst announcer ever, but God does he love his ribs.

I'm wondering who will take over for Rod, should he step down. I definitely hope it's not Hall or even Morley Scott. Neither of those two do it for me when I listen to the radio.

http://www.jeanshortsandbaggedmilk.com "

Re: Rod Phillips last year? [message #433056 is a reply to message #433054 ]
Tue, 12 August 2008 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jets Fan  is currently offline Jets Fan

No Cups

Beerfish Revisited wrote on Tue, 12 August 2008 13:48

I totally agree with the above comment

Sorry but Bryan Hall is long past his sell by date
Rod should go too
Both have had great broadcasting careers but they should not go on for ever

Re: Rod Phillips last year? [message #433058 is a reply to message #433041 ]
Tue, 12 August 2008 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oilertime  is currently offline Oilertime

No Cups

I remember ages ago the Oilers were in Hartford and kept trying to get the puck out of the zone to no avail, so Rod added his insight: "Why don't they ice the damn thing?" Just the pure frustration in his voice made it hilarious.

https://twitter.com/Reggie__11

Re: Rod Phillips last year? [message #433062 is a reply to message #433058 ]
Tue, 12 August 2008 15:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oilerfansince87  is currently offline Oilerfansince87

1 Cup

Calling Mick Magoo a egomaniac jackass a couple years ago during the Dallas/ Phantom hand pass debacle was hillarious.

Re: Rod Phillips last year? [message #433060 is a reply to message #433041 ]
Tue, 12 August 2008 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jadrain  is currently offline jadrain

No Cups

Ah, Rod hanging them up will be a sad day. He's been part of the fabric of the franchise forever. I don't care if he gets a bit addled these days, particularly late in the season as he starts to wear down. I'll never, ever get tired of listening to him call the Oilers. When he missed his first game a couple of years ago I was worried as if it was a family member (severe nosebleeds, it turned out).

The most telling moments were sometimes when he thought the mike was off. When Matheson was doing colour with him they messed it up all the time. One night they were giving one of the score and win (or whatever the equivalent was) prizes to lady called (this is phonetic, no idea how it was spelled) "Irma LaDouche." All by the book, just the facts, congratulations Irma. Then they go to commercial. They think. Mike still broadcasting. Rod: "Irma La DOOOOUUCHE!" Matty: "Hee hee hee." Rod: "Ho ho ho."

Another live mike at commercial aside: Colour dude (forget which one): "Boy, they're really jumpin' tonight." Rod: "Holy SHEEPs**t!"

Okay, those maybe weren't so telling. But the one I've remembered best was from some time in 1989 or 1990, when they went to commercial again, but for whatever reason the mike stayed live and the commercial didn't play. Play resumed before they came back (I was watching on tv and listening to Rod for the play by play). Kurri broke out. Apropros of nothing, noone listening, just private in the booth, Rod breathes "C'mon, Jari..." as Kurri skates up the ice. Some generally meaningless mid-season game and he's willing the Oilers on as he watches.

The guy lives it. Never heard a jaded word out of him. I hope we start climbing again as a franchise, and that it's exciting enough that he sticks around for the one last ride.

Re: Rod Phillips last year? [message #433064 is a reply to message #433041 ]
Tue, 12 August 2008 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MyBestGuess  is currently offline MyBestGuess

2 Cups

all_oil wrote on Tue, 12 August 2008 10:36

Well another slow day in Oiler land so I was cruising around the usual blogs and I thought that this merited a thread. Over at Oilersnation Robin Brownlee wrote a pretty good piece on what might be Rod Phillips last year as Oilers play by play.

http://www.oilersnation.com/index2.php/2008/08/11/the-skippe r-sails-on/

I think it doesn't matter who you are, all Oiler fans have listened to Phillips almost give himself a hemmorage every game. The guy is a great broadcastor, and is the definite voice of the Oilers. Growing up I remember listening to him calling the games and it offers a lot of good memories or sitting around with family around the radio.

Any good stories when it comes to Rod Phillips? I'm sure I'm not the only one that has his voiced wrapped up all sorts of Oiler memories.

I don't think there is a greater Oiler fan than Rod Phillips. He says the things we're thinking - the highs, the lows, the excitement, the frustration, rippng refs, praising and chastising players (in a fair way) - I don't see how Rod will ever be replaced.

Thinking back, it's hard to beat his call on Hemmer beating Regehr in January 07 and the "doo doo" comment!

Here's a YouTube video we've all probably seen but it pretty much summarizes Rod Phillips.

Just as much as his goal calls, I love his fight calls. Holy crap, how many times I've almost driven off the road listening to Rod call a fight or hit or goal.

I also like back in the day how frustrated he'd get with Boris Mironov at times.

Oilers Goal Horn
http://skreemr.com/link.jsp?id=6B5D44535654

Re: Rod Phillips last year? [message #433067 is a reply to message #433064 ]
Tue, 12 August 2008 16:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cementhead  is currently offline Cementhead

No Cups

Damn that was a beautiful goal. Rod will be hard to replace. I hope to hell it isn't Morley replacing him.

Re: Rod Phillips last year? [message #433076 is a reply to message #433067 ]
Tue, 12 August 2008 17:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MyBestGuess  is currently offline MyBestGuess

2 Cups

Cementhead wrote on Tue, 12 August 2008 16:06

Damn that was a beautiful goal. Rod will be hard to replace. I hope to hell it isn't Morley replacing him.

I'd take Peter Loubardias and do you know who else calls a great game? Team 1260's Bob Stauffer. I turned on the dial during the CIS finals this spring and heard him call the Bears final. He's actually really good - loads of emotion & personality just like Rod. He's not Rod at this point, but honestly aside from the guy in Buffalo and Pittsburgh Stauff would be my guy of choice at this point, seriously. I know some people hate Stauff, but he does call a wicked game IMO. Greggor might also do the job well too (listening to his calls of Rush games).

Oilers Goal Horn
http://skreemr.com/link.jsp?id=6B5D44535654

Re: Rod Phillips last year? [message #433078 is a reply to message #433067 ]
Tue, 12 August 2008 17:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MrOiler  is currently offline MrOiler

No Cups

I hope they don't hire some PC announcer when it's Rod's time to step down. An Oilers' broadcaster should be a homer. And don't give me the "professionalism" argument. Who cares about a fair called game? This isn't the CBC.

I want a guy screaming his head off and shaking his fist at the refs - just a couple notches below Stampede Wrestling. icon_biggrin

[Updated on: Tue, 12 August 2008 17:30]

http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/rr109/MrOiler/Oilers/id_banner3.jpg

Re: Rod Phillips last year? [message #433088 is a reply to message #433041 ]
Tue, 12 August 2008 20:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oil Tycoon  is currently offline Oil Tycoon

1 Cup

Living in Ontario, I didn't grow up listening to Rod on the radio, but only recently when we got our internet hook up. I have to say that I really enjoy his calling the game. I will never forget the call when Stefan missed the open net and Hemmer went on to score the tying goal with 2 seconds left. Rod went ballistic, but in a good way.
He's certainly not in the Hall of Fame by accident. There are so many broadcastors out there, but very few match the emotion and intensity of Rod. We as Oiler fans are lucky to have him call our games.
If he does retire, I wish him well, and wouldn't it be great if his last called game was one where the Oilers are hoisting the Stanley Cup? Hey a man can dream.
That being the case, Rick Generette from the Sabres would be the only guy I would say could match Rod. I hear him a lot down here in St.Catharines.
Rod rules! icon_thumbsup

Re: Rod Phillips last year? [message #433092 is a reply to message #433088 ]
Tue, 12 August 2008 22:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
abootzky  is currently offline abootzky

No Cups

It's too bad a lot of you are too young to have heard Rod at his best on a nightly basis. I'm not sure how technically sound Rod's description of the action on the ice ever was, but he's always been damn entertaining. Back in the Oilers' WHA and early NHL days Rod was much more of a loose cannon (in a good way) than in recent years producing countless politically incorrect/hilarious on-air moments. The goal and fight calls are legendary to us Oiler fans but I really enjoyed it when his sense of humour would come through. For example, I remember Rod and colorman Ken Brown talking on the air about a guy who had mistakenly knocked on their hotel room door the night before. Rod, using a perfect Chinese accent, quoted the guy as saying, "Did anyone here order Chinese food?". I thought Brown was going to piss himself laughing. My most recent favorite came when the Oilers were playing in Vancouver in the '90's. Rod grew increasingly infuriated as he described how the Canucks' Gino Odjick had run Doug Weight from behind and punctuated the call with "GINO ODJICK IS A MORON LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!!!".

Re: Rod Phillips last year? [message #433181 is a reply to message #433041 ]
Thu, 14 August 2008 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bigfan  is currently offline Bigfan

No Cups

Well, I guess it had to happen eventually. But it will be the end of an era.

I've been following the Oilers since the days of the Alberta Oilers in the WHA. For me, Rod's voice is inextricably linked with the Oilers. It will take time to get used to someone else's.

But he is now a shadow of his former self - and he's not the only one.

We tried for a bit a drinking game during broadcasts - where we would have to take a drink every time Rod said 'In across the line'. A variation on the game with ol' Windbag for the Eskimo games with 'Ball on the far left hashmarks'. We had to stop after a couple of games ... Not my favorite memory of a Rod broadcast moment - but that's because I don't remember a thing icon_dead

Re: Rod Phillips last year? [message #433184 is a reply to message #433041 ]
Thu, 14 August 2008 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
G-Star  is currently offline G-Star

No Cups

Rod is been gargantuios (mind the spelling) as a caller of the Oilers. I've been travelling my whole life from Fort Mac to Edmonton and every game growing up we listened to on the radio with the fam, countless hours of laughs and excitment. Rod made a 1-0 Oil vs Wild game sound exciting (who does this?). I can't wait to get home and watch the highlights after listining to Rod because of all the gargantiuan and spectacular plays he describes, only to go home and see the highlights weren't anything special. Rod has expanded my vocabulary and spoiled me for years, I just assumed that was the energy all people calling games used, whatever Rod chooses to do he did Edmonton very well and deserves a good retirement. icon_thumbsup

Re: Rod Phillips last year? [message #433186 is a reply to message #433041 ]
Thu, 14 August 2008 10:35 Go to previous message
oilfaith  is currently offline oilfaith

No Cups

I remember years ago when my kids were still kids... I took them to get autographs at the players entrance after a practice. They had their Oilers Books (Hockey Knights I think) and Rod was walking by. I pointed him out and the kids ran up wanting him to sign their books. He was genuinely shocked... he said are you sure you want ME to sign these? I said ABSOLUTELY! He was so humble about it. What a nice man. I am thrilled that we have his siggy along with all the others inside those books. I will miss him terribly when he retires.

"Puttin' on the foil coach!" - Hanson Brothers

Previous Topic:Pre-Season on Sportsnet
Next Topic:Press Conference - Weds 13 Aug 08
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2014.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca