This day on August 17
None

Happy Birthday To: Slim Jim Phantom Call, Ingenious_OilerFan, copper&blue, annie01, Kaizzer3

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #33)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #33) [message #396292]
Thu, 13 December 2007 19:44 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

3 Cups

/images/logos/edm_comp.gif/images/logos/det_comp.gif
Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #33)

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #33) [message #396313 is a reply to message #396292 ]
Thu, 13 December 2007 20:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilerinvan  is currently offline oilerinvan

1 Cup

Points in all three road games, all tough teams too, very impressive. Tonight was another game that showed what this team can play like. Shootouts… nice work Hemsky.

Roloson played very well at times (39 saves!) but let in two softies. The Pisani – Gagner – Nilsson line really is showing some chemistry. Penner – Horcoff – Hemsky was good again too.

Horcoff did not shine offensively but reminded me how good he is defensively. Blocking shots, playing tough and physical in the defensive zone. He was –2, but that is because he happened to beon the ice for both of Roloson’s softies.

Souray also looked good and definitely brings some toughness. Pitkanen is a machine.

Grebeshkov played a poor game tonight. Apparently the spin move on the blue line is still part of his arsenal. Stoll and Staios also stood out as not great.

You would think that from Kevin Lowe’s perspective, the players are making his job very easy. Some seem to be playing their way onto the team (Gilbert, Pitkanen, Nilsson), others are (hopefully) playing themselves onto the block (Stoll, Staios).

Horcoff and MacIntyre rule.

Re: Review: [message #396314 is a reply to message #396292 ]
Thu, 13 December 2007 20:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

2 Cups

That was the just the wings 7 game win streak we just snapped.

Re: Review: [message #396319 is a reply to message #396292 ]
Thu, 13 December 2007 20:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hibernia  is currently offline Hibernia

1 Cup

NHL.com is so used to Gagner getting the SO winner that they have given him credit for this one as well.

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20072008/GS020458.HTM

Twitter: @AitchOil

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #33) [message #396320 is a reply to message #396292 ]
Thu, 13 December 2007 20:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vsove  is currently offline vsove

1 Cup

Really? I thought Hemsky didn't play as well as he can (although being Hemsky, he still played relatively well). I think Staios was actually not too bad tonight, and I saw him covering for Smid a bit. Hell, we beat the Red Wings. That's the important bit. Too bad Roloson let in a couple of softies or this would've been over in regulation, but hey, they're so far ahead of us, what's another point? :P

No Mo' Lowe | Fire McLellan | Fire everyone.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #33) [message #396323 is a reply to message #396320 ]
Thu, 13 December 2007 20:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
younggun1501  is currently offline younggun1501

No Cups

I thought roli played well (except for the softies he let in) but 39-42 is'nt too bad. Gagner-Nillson-Pisani line played a great game in my opinon.Grebs with a horrible give away but, hey, we beat Detroit!!!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #33) [message #396324 is a reply to message #396320 ]
Thu, 13 December 2007 20:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rollinginoil  is currently offline rollinginoil

No Cups

vsove wrote on Thu, 13 December 2007 20:19

Really? I thought Hemsky didn't play as well as he can (although being Hemsky, he still played relatively well). I think Staios was actually not too bad tonight, and I saw him covering for Smid a bit. Hell, we beat the Red Wings. That's the important bit. Too bad Roloson let in a couple of softies or this would've been over in regulation, but hey, they're so far ahead of us, what's another point? :P

Yep, this could have definately been sealed in regulation. Roloson played pretty well in comparison to some of his more recent performances. Good game by the Oil, way to win against the top team in the NHL in their house.

Hasek is possibly the luckiest goalie that i've ever seen. None of that crap that he does is skill, I don't call flopping around in the crease like a fish skill - it's called desperation..

Bettman, damning the NHL since 1993...

The E-System was devised with the intelligent hockey fan in mind - Eklund

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #33) [message #396328 is a reply to message #396324 ]
Thu, 13 December 2007 20:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Slim Jim Phantom Call  is currently offline Slim Jim Phantom Call

1 Cup

Very nice win tonight. After that first softie Roloson let in, I thought we were in for a long night. Kudos to him for bouncing back. Other than the other softie which tied the game late, he sttod on his head.

Still want to see Garon between the pipes on saturday however.

In fairness to Hall, I've wanted to throw a waterbottle at Eakins all season.
~nullterm 03/22/2014

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #33) [message #396345 is a reply to message #396324 ]
Thu, 13 December 2007 22:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hemmerhockey  is currently offline hemmerhockey

No Cups

rollinginoil wrote on Thu, 13 December 2007 20:25

Hasek is possibly the luckiest goalie that i've ever seen. None of that crap that he does is skill, I don't call flopping around in the crease like a fish skill - it's called desperation..

A lucky streak that's lasted 16 years, with 2 Hart Trophies, 6 Vezinas, a Stanley Cup, and an Olympic Gold. Lucked his way into being one of the greatest goaltenders to ever play the game, wouldn't you say? Seem a little strange to you?

It's unorthodox, but what Hasek has done and still does to an extent has a whole ton of skill involved. Closing the gap between himself and the puck in close, something he has done like no other goaltender.

"I've been trying to tell you people for so long about the Russians, what kind of people they are, and you just love them in Canada with your multiculturalism. They're quitters and evidently they take a lot of drugs, too."

-Don Cherry

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #33) [message #396350 is a reply to message #396324 ]
Thu, 13 December 2007 23:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NotLeeFogolin  is currently offline NotLeeFogolin

No Cups

rollinginoil wrote on Thu, 13 December 2007 20:25

I was at a buddy's son's hockey practice in Kelowna last winter and the coach chewed a kid out for trying to play like Hasek...it's like when writers try to imitate Hunter S. Thompson. There will only be one Dominik Hasek.

Burke > Tambellini

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #33) [message #396321 is a reply to message #396292 ]
Thu, 13 December 2007 20:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mclovin  is currently offline Mclovin

No Cups

Right on! Everyone played well except for a few defensive lapses *cough* STAIOS *cough*. Great to see Pisser get another goal for the second game in a row, and our top line looking dangerous again. All in all, I can't complain, the Oil just beat the best team in hockey!

Gunn wrote on Tue, 14 April 2009 15:07

McLovin: 1

Oilfans: 0

Re: Review: [message #396322 is a reply to message #396292 ]
Thu, 13 December 2007 20:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ChasinStanley  is currently offline ChasinStanley

1 Cup

not only have we got 5/6 point on this trip but more importantly it has been fun to watch. This team plays a little larger with #44 back there, although he did have a tough time clearing the zone tonight.

Amazing chemistry with the Pisser, Mini Magic and Gagner (who seems to be getting more used to the NHL and getting better and better and not getting knocked off the puck as much).

Rolli was solid all night except for the 1st and last wings goals.

Overall solid trip we are now over .500 on the read, time for the boys to build on this when they get home.

A nice win and 2 billion reasons to be excited about the future.

Renaissance 2015

Re: Review: [message #396329 is a reply to message #396322 ]
Thu, 13 December 2007 20:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ccousine  is currently offline ccousine

No Cups

Morley on 630 Ched kept saying how well Staios was playing. Blocking shots, making rushes, hitting...on and on.

Was he doing these things or was Morley and Rod drinking again?

"Travelling with Mario Lemieux was like travelling with the Rolling Stones."

Pierre McGuire

Re: Review: [message #396330 is a reply to message #396329 ]
Thu, 13 December 2007 20:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

ccousine wrote on Thu, 13 December 2007 20:47

Morley on 630 Ched kept saying how well Staios was playing. Blocking shots, making rushes, hitting...on and on.

I felt Staios played well, for once. He chipped in a few times and almost got an assist, but didn't happen. Much better game than we've seen from him in a while.

Re: Review: [message #396331 is a reply to message #396330 ]
Thu, 13 December 2007 20:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ChasinStanley  is currently offline ChasinStanley

1 Cup

vsove wrote on Thu, 13 December 2007 20:49

I felt Staios played well, for once. He chipped in a few times and almost got an assist, but didn't happen. Much better game than we've seen from him in a while.

I think what you mean't to say was he didn't paly horrible for once. I think saying he played well is a bit of a stretch.

Renaissance 2015

Re: Review: [message #396332 is a reply to message #396331 ]
Thu, 13 December 2007 21:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

ChasinStanley wrote on Thu, 13 December 2007 20:57

vsove wrote on Thu, 13 December 2007 20:49

I think what you mean't to say was he didn't paly horrible for once. I think saying he played well is a bit of a stretch.

What I mean, he played well for Staios. For any other player, he was respectable.

Re: Review: [message #396334 is a reply to message #396332 ]
Thu, 13 December 2007 21:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Beerfish Revisited  is currently offline Beerfish Revisited

1 Cup

Roloson, looks much like he did leading up to the playoff and cup run two years ago. Plays pretty well but lets in a bad goal per game. Big saves in regualtion and overtime, kinda lucky on the Hudler miss.

Staios played better than normal out there but still was not great by any means.

Souray looked terrible in his own end, handled the puck like he has indeed been out for 2 months or however long he has been gone.

Nilsson and Gagner playing well together, don't seem to be a big liability and produce. Nice to see Pisani bag another one he still does not look 100% skating wise but that will come.

Pitkanen played well again I thought. Penner is starting to grow on me, if only the guy was a titch faster.

If Grebs coughs it up at the other teams blue line again I'm going to scream....oh wait I did that tonight. It's one thing to cough up the puck but I've never seen a guy that gives the other teams breakaways from handing it away at the other teams blueline so often.

Overall, a huge win for the Oilers and we have to score to win, really 3 or 4 goals is what we need so please macT don't try and stiffle the offense too much just because we are also giving up more than we would like.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #33) [message #396347 is a reply to message #396292 ]
Thu, 13 December 2007 23:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
G-Star  is currently offline G-Star

No Cups

Good to see we haven't had a "ugly" game for a while. I would say the last one was in Colorado a few weeks ago. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the good thing about this team is they shouldn't get any worse and thats been true so far this year. Go Oil Go icon_nod

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #33) [message #396351 is a reply to message #396292 ]
Thu, 13 December 2007 23:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

2 Cups

I though we shouldn't have won that game, but I will take two points. Detroit is a tough team, and I think we got lucky with that win. Anyways, a win is a win.

Positives:
Nilsson Pisani Gagner line clicking- 2G for the line
Nilsson and Gagner put up numbers again- 2A for both
Souray using his bomb- 1A
With acception to 2 of the goals, Roli came up big- W, 39 S
Pisani getting in form - 1G ; 2G last 2 GP
Hemsky buries one after a little slump - 1G
Pitkanen showing why we need some ink - 1G
Penner doing well- 1A
Another SO victory

Negatives:
Another point given to losing team
Horcoff didn't get a point
Gilbert slowly declining
Obliterated in shots
Cogliano was invisible (maybe not many minutes)
Grebeshkov with another bad game

All in all, great to get the win and lets get to .500.

Clean house or bust

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #33) [message #396352 is a reply to message #396351 ]
Thu, 13 December 2007 23:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leia  is currently offline Leia

No Cups

I know it's only his first season, and he's been great to date, but Gagner's shoot out move, great as it is. Now that Hasek has shown how to play it, he'll have to get something new into his locker... That's the only down side of what I saw.

Roli letting in a couple of softies, not ideal, but during this game he came back and pulled out some fine saves to help redeem himself.

Pisser is on a mission to catch up with the rest of the team on scoring!! So his streak will end in a couple of games...

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #33) [message #396357 is a reply to message #396352 ]
Fri, 14 December 2007 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cementhead  is currently offline Cementhead

No Cups

Only 5 pts from leading the division with the Canucks on deck. Keep it rollin boys. rock

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #33) [message #396367 is a reply to message #396352 ]
Fri, 14 December 2007 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Longcat  is currently offline Longcat

No Cups

Leia wrote on Fri, 14 December 2007 00:52

I know it's only his first season, and he's been great to date, but Gagner's shoot out move, great as it is. Now that Hasek has shown how to play it, he'll have to get something new into his locker... That's the only down side of what I saw.

Roli letting in a couple of softies, not ideal, but during this game he came back and pulled out some fine saves to help redeem himself.

Pisser is on a mission to catch up with the rest of the team on scoring!! So his streak will end in a couple of games...

He went to the backhand in St. Louis on the shootout.

He had Hasek beat but flubbed the puck when he tried to go high. Plus what he did with Hasek was a bit different then his main move.

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 12 February 2008 14:57

I'm just going to say it, this Longcat fellow is quite possibly the best poster on Oilfans.

I guess I wasn't the only one [message #396359 is a reply to message #396351 ]
Fri, 14 December 2007 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilmanFan  is currently offline OilmanFan

No Cups

who thought we were very lucky to come away with any points at all in this game. I think it was a combo of luck on the Oilers side mixed in with Det taking us a little for granted.

Rolo makes me so nervous back there and even though he played a pretty good game (minus the 2 soft goals) with 38-39 stops and some point blank shots he just doesn't look right in my eyes.

He looks very slow and seems to have trouble getting up from the ice when going down or from side to side to make a save and on top of that he really seems to be guessing out there.

I too thought that Staios had a pretty good game for once. The Oilers as a whole seem to be playing more of a team game the last little while and I think that is why they are winning now as opposed to losing games. The returns of Pisani, Joni and Souray have certainly done a whole heck of a lot of good though and hopefully it should only get better when Moreau is back.

[Updated on: Fri, 14 December 2007 01:14]

If Seguin gets 51 pts:

G2K= $100
V4ance=$100

Nail Yakupov

Re: I guess I wasn't the only one [message #396360 is a reply to message #396359 ]
Fri, 14 December 2007 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
halfafrog  is currently offline halfafrog

1 Cup

I thought we skated well and I thought we kept them to the outside a lot. They had a lot of shots but did you see the scoring chances? After one we had 7 shots and 5 chances, they had 6 chances and 16 shots. I'm not sure what the final tally was for actual scoring chances but I think the shot clock flattered Detroit.

I'll take the win. Just need the other four teams in our division start to choke a bit. I'm pretty happy with the number of players who have returned and how the team is doing. I just hope this team can start winning on the lousy ice at Rexall. Note to Katz: replace ice plant at Rexall ASAP.

We are now over 500 on the road. It would be nice to come home and get to that.

So this is what hope feels like?

Re: I guess I wasn't the only one [message #396375 is a reply to message #396360 ]
Fri, 14 December 2007 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

halfafrog wrote on Fri, 14 December 2007 01:24

I thought we skated well and I thought we kept them to the outside a lot. They had a lot of shots but did you see the scoring chances? After one we had 7 shots and 5 chances, they had 6 chances and 16 shots. I'm not sure what the final tally was for actual scoring chances but I think the shot clock flattered Detroit.

I'll take the win. Just need the other four teams in our division start to choke a bit. I'm pretty happy with the number of players who have returned and how the team is doing. I just hope this team can start winning on the lousy ice at Rexall. Note to Katz: replace ice plant at Rexall ASAP.

I think that is an excellent point. Edmonton's style of D is to let the shots come from the outside.

Re: I guess I wasn't the only one [message #396380 is a reply to message #396360 ]
Fri, 14 December 2007 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

halfafrog wrote on Fri, 14 December 2007 01:24

Exactly, the shot total was a little misleading. I don't want to sound like MacT (finding positives even in the negatives) but the majority of our shots were quality scoring opportunities; a lot of chances where the shot getting off a little later or a little sooner would've resulted in an Oilers goal. Don't get me wrong, Detroit got about as many quality opportunities as us, but they got a lot of perimeter shots too (although judging by the first and last goal, this may not be a good thing ;))

Roloson, despite letting in a couple of softies, was on fire. Have to disagree with you OMF; while those two softies were disappointing, there were a few shots that SHOULD have been goals but weren't because Roloson was playing extremely well. So it evens out in the end.

Just glad to beat Detroit, every time we play them I always think back to the '05-'06 playoffs and the 'Detroit has earned the respect of the NHL'.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #33) [message #396370 is a reply to message #396351 ]
Fri, 14 December 2007 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EsaT  is currently offline EsaT

No Cups

smyth260 wrote on Thu, 13 December 2007 23:42

I though we shouldn't have won that game, but I will take two points. Detroit is a tough team, and I think we got lucky with that win. Anyways, a win is a win.

Positives:
Penner doing well- 1A
Another SO victory

Negatives:
Gilbert slowly declining
Obliterated in shots

Gilbert declining??? What game were you watching.

Grebs needs to learn how to watch the other player and not get fancy. Keep it simple stupid... KISS

Roli, I love ya, but stop those softies or you'll be watching from the sidelines.

Personally, I think since teams are keying so heavily on Souray, we should set up a play with Hemskey coming across on a switch for a feather pass from Sheldon or something to that effect. It should at least open up the window again for the point shot.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #33) [message #396377 is a reply to message #396370 ]
Fri, 14 December 2007 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

EsaT wrote on Fri, 14 December 2007 08:43

smyth260 wrote on Thu, 13 December 2007 23:42

Positives:
Penner doing well- 1A
Another SO victory

Negatives:
Gilbert slowly declining
Obliterated in shots

Gilbert declining??? What game were you watching.

Grebs needs to learn how to watch the other player and not get fancy. Keep it simple stupid... KISS

Roli, I love ya, but stop those softies or you'll be watching from the sidelines.

Personally, I think since teams are keying so heavily on Souray, we should set up a play with Hemskey coming across on a switch for a feather pass from Sheldon or something to that effect. It should at least open up the window again for the point shot.

I agree. I don't see any declination in Gilbert's game. He has had one minus game in the last 10, 7 plus games including 2 plus two games in that stretch with 3 points. Pitkanen is arguably outplaying him, but both guys are playing awesome right now.

How Staiois got more ice time than both of them last night is still beyond me.

Rollie [message #396421 is a reply to message #396292 ]
Fri, 14 December 2007 13:15 Go to previous message
MyBestGuess  is currently offline MyBestGuess

1 Cup

For most players on a hockey team, it's expected that every shift they play won't be perfect. Some have said, for example, that Hemsky's game tonight wasn't fabulous, but the fact that he made the one goal in the SO is what we focus on.

Rollie, on the other hand, lets in one softie for sure and another questionable one, smattered between a lot of other very good saves, and he's criticized.

I'm not saying it's wrong at all to criticize (even though it was a win) - we cannot afford as a team to have even one bad goal per night allowed.

The point is more to my growing realization that in order for this franchise to be dominant in the long term, we need to get out there and find an absolute brick wall, top 5 in the league goaltender. Either develop one, trade for one, or sign one. Garon has been very good, but I'm not sure he can fill this role as a 70-game starter for the next 5 years.

Oilers Goal Horn
http://skreemr.com/link.jsp?id=6B5D44535654

Previous Topic:Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #34)
Next Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #33)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca