This day on August 17
None

Happy Birthday To: Slim Jim Phantom Call, Ingenious_OilerFan, copper&blue, annie01, Kaizzer3

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #22)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #22) [message #391484]
Thu, 22 November 2007 21:15 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

3 Cups

/images/logos/col_comp.gif/images/logos/edm_comp.gif
Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #22)

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #22) [message #391488 is a reply to message #391484 ]
Thu, 22 November 2007 21:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilboy2  is currently offline oilboy2

No Cups

Enough already with these efforts, FIRE Mactavish

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #22) [message #391490 is a reply to message #391488 ]
Thu, 22 November 2007 21:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MyBestGuess  is currently offline MyBestGuess

1 Cup

oilboy2 wrote on Thu, 22 November 2007 21:31

Young...inexperienced...injured... expect some inconsistency. I know it's excuses but hey, it's true.

Oilers Goal Horn
http://skreemr.com/link.jsp?id=6B5D44535654

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #22) [message #391493 is a reply to message #391490 ]
Thu, 22 November 2007 21:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Beerfish Revisited  is currently offline Beerfish Revisited

1 Cup

MyBestGuess wrote on Thu, 22 November 2007 21:33

Young...inexperienced...injured... expect some inconsistency. I know it's excuses but hey, it's true.

What about those players that are not young, inexperienced or injured? Like the majority of the team. Stoll, Horcoff, Hemsky, Sanderson, Torres, Staios and then the young guys that are supposed to be playing great in cogliano and gilbert.

Baloney excuses for not having the above players play well enough.

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #22) [message #391523 is a reply to message #391490 ]
Fri, 23 November 2007 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kamikaze  is currently offline kamikaze

No Cups

MyBestGuess wrote on Thu, 22 November 2007 21:33

If thats the case then why is Chicago 4th in the conference and Pittsburgh contending in the east.

Re: Review: [message #391489 is a reply to message #391484 ]
Thu, 22 November 2007 21:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ginjanna  is currently offline Ginjanna

No Cups

Where do I go to find the stats on the refs hit count against the Oilers? MacGough hit us twice in the corner tonight! Horrible luck tonight.

Re: Review: [message #391491 is a reply to message #391489 ]
Thu, 22 November 2007 21:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oiler76  is currently offline Oiler76

No Cups

an absolutely horrible effort. to make it even worse, I got the colorado feed from Centre Ice and had to listen to the moron avalanche commentators make stupid comments such as the following:

1. Apparently today is the anniversary of the "Molson" Classic ( I know we canadians like beer, but give us some credit!)

2. Apparently Andrew Brunette came to the Avalanche in the Chris Pronger trade. ( and we wonder why the NHL is such a joke in the USA)

Its going to be a long season to watch. Pitkanen looked good but that was about it.

Just my two cents

p.s. Fire Mactavish

" The Vancouver Canucks: Celebrating Second Round Losses for 50 years!"

Re: Review: [message #391495 is a reply to message #391491 ]
Thu, 22 November 2007 21:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fridge01  is currently offline Fridge01

No Cups

Garon played well. Rest of the team okay. Could have beat Colorado straight up but couldn't beat them with the bad luck of some poor calls by the officials... Garon's comes to mind, then the Reasoner call killed 2 minutes of time at the end of the game.

Guess this is what happens to a team the has average talent... they win only 1/2 their games. Then take away a couple key players and they play <.500 hockey.

Reality of our team now boys...

Re: Review: [message #391497 is a reply to message #391495 ]
Thu, 22 November 2007 21:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

4 Cups

What stood out the most for me: Rexall's ice SUCKS. Everyone has pucks hopping over sticks - guys like Smyth, Sakic, Hemsky...not just Grebs and Tarnstrom (I mention them since many like to fault them for stuff like that)

They really need to do something about that.

And Pitkanen is one smooth skater. Man, I hope he can be signed.

Re: Review: [message #391499 is a reply to message #391497 ]
Thu, 22 November 2007 22:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rekkin  is currently offline Rekkin

No Cups

Lowe's top 2 priorities should be to sign Pitkanen and Gilbert to long term extensions. He better have the calculator out and be figuring out just how much its going to take to lock them up for the next 4 years.

The people you are sure are wrong are just as sure that you are wrong. The only difference is they're wrong. - God @TheTweetOfGod

Re: Review: [message #391505 is a reply to message #391499 ]
Thu, 22 November 2007 22:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gobb  is currently offline Gobb

No Cups

I completely agree on resigning both Gilbert and Pitkanen. That could be our future top pairiing d-men(of course the future is today with everybody so freakin' injured boom ).

If we stayed out of the box, and rolled on all 4 lines, we would have done alot better. Some calls were brutal(especially the Reasoner one, ya he shoots straight up sideways, good call Magoo and company) but some of those holdings penalties were the oilers fault because of stupid/poor decisions. Overall, bad effort 5 on 5 getting these penalties, but you have to admit our penalty killing is impressive.

Final note, yet again instead of using that stupid shooting umbrella they love to employ, once they went hard to the net(ie. Horcoff) they scored on the powerplay. Please stop taking perimeter shots, they will block them and get the puck out. But hey at least we're scoring on the PP.

Re: Review: [message #391510 is a reply to message #391505 ]
Thu, 22 November 2007 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HBomb  is currently offline HBomb

1 Cup

Gobb wrote on Thu, 22 November 2007 22:39

I completely agree on resigning both Gilbert and Pitkanen. That could be our future top pairiing d-men(of course the future is today with everybody so freakin' injured boom ).

Heck, even if everyone was healthy (Greene, Souray and Roy), I'd say that would STILL be my top pairing right now.

Greene's still no better than a 4th d-man. Souray's best spot is on the 2nd pairing. Staios is at best a number 5 d-man based on how he's played so far this season. And Smid, Tarnstrom and Grebeshkov are all 3rd set guys.

Pitkanen's the only legit top-pairing guy this team has, and he's still got what, somewhere around 200 NHL games under his belt? Gilbert's been our best d-man so far this year, and he's a rookie......

Re: Review: [message #391552 is a reply to message #391510 ]
Fri, 23 November 2007 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Horseradish Hemsky  is currently offline Horseradish Hemsky

No Cups

I think that Smid has more talent and ability beyond being just a 3rd pairing guy. I think he's a legit #4 in the league now.

For the most part though, I see it the same way you do.

Pitkanen Gilbert
Souray Smid
Staios Tarnstrom/Greene

Grebeshkov, God willing, won't touch the ice when our D is healthy again.

Ultimately though, this team is missing A LOT of toughness and size due to injuries. Once Souray, Greene, Moreau, and Pisser are back, I think it's going to be a markedly different team out there.

Furthermore, with Souray and Pitkanen out for so long, the Oilers are/were having the same problems as last year. Other teams are forechecking hard, and their D is either incapable or too inexperienced to take advantage of the up-ice opportunities made available by this.

With a trail, the best way to keep it alive is to walk on it, because every time you walk on it, you create it again. - Middle Eastern Proverb

Re: Review: [message #391553 is a reply to message #391552 ]
Fri, 23 November 2007 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Beerfish Revisited  is currently offline Beerfish Revisited

1 Cup

Horseradish Hemsky wrote on Fri, 23 November 2007 10:39

I think that Smid has more talent and ability beyond being just a 3rd pairing guy. I think he's a legit #4 in the league now.

For the most part though, I see it the same way you do.

Pitkanen Gilbert
Souray Smid
Staios Tarnstrom/Greene

Grebeshkov, God willing, won't touch the ice when our D is healthy again.

Ultimately though, this team is missing A LOT of toughness and size due to injuries. Once Souray, Greene, Moreau, and Pisser are back, I think it's going to be a markedly different team out there.

Furthermore, with Souray and Pitkanen out for so long, the Oilers are/were having the same problems as last year. Other teams are forechecking hard, and their D is either incapable or too inexperienced to take advantage of the up-ice opportunities made available by this.

Our defence when healthy and prospect wise looks very good to me overall. It's the forwards I'm worried about.

Re: Review: [message #391554 is a reply to message #391553 ]
Fri, 23 November 2007 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Horseradish Hemsky  is currently offline Horseradish Hemsky

No Cups

See I'm not worried about that. Once the Oil have a D that can move the puck on every pairing, and consistently well, they'll score more. Simple as that to me.

Furthermore, as guys like Gagner, Penner, Cogliano, and Nilsson get more NHL ice time, they'll start producing more as well. Gagner and Cogliano are already at .5+ PPG as rookies, as is Penner as a sophomore, and Nilsson looks like the second most dangerous Oiler on the ice every time he's out there. It's only a matter of time before he starts getting a flow of points going.

Then you have to factor in that Hemsky's underachieving so far, as is Torres (although I legitimately only expect Torres to be slightly over .5 PPG), and you have Moreau, Pisani, and Sanderson who should all be contributing between 10 and 20 goals per season, and all of a sudden, when that lineup's healthy, you have a fairly even scoring pace across every line.

I'm not worried as of yet. When they have their key players back, they should be sitting pretty. I expect them to really surprise a lot of teams in the last 2/3 or 1/2 of the season. They'll contend for a playoff spot, I'm pretty sure, it's just a matter of whether it'll be too late by the time they're healthy.

With a trail, the best way to keep it alive is to walk on it, because every time you walk on it, you create it again. - Middle Eastern Proverb

Re: Review: [message #391555 is a reply to message #391554 ]
Fri, 23 November 2007 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

4 Cups

Take Staios out of the equation and that's a damned fine looking blue line:

Gilbert/Pitkanen
Souray/Smid
Tarnstrom/Greene

Re: Review: [message #391595 is a reply to message #391555 ]
Fri, 23 November 2007 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gobb  is currently offline Gobb

No Cups

I agree about trying to get rid of Staios. If we could somehow drop him for a prospect and a pick at the deadline I would do it. It clears up cap space for next year, gets rid of his stupid pinches and gets that old man smell out of the locker room(except Rollie, but if Garon's playing well, deal him too). icon_biggrin

PS
I'm not saying 34 is old, but on this team it's almost ancient.

Re: Review: [message #391599 is a reply to message #391491 ]
Fri, 23 November 2007 15:42 Go to previous message
The Sieve  is currently offline The Sieve

No Cups

Oiler76 wrote on Thu, 22 November 2007 21:37

2. Apparently Andrew Brunette came to the Avalanche in the Chris Pronger trade. ( and we wonder why the NHL is such a joke in the USA)

doh I'm speechless... I am without speech. All I can do is shake my head with dissapointment

On the positive side, Garon looked good... so did Gilbert.

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #22) [message #391494 is a reply to message #391484 ]
Thu, 22 November 2007 21:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

6 Cups

16 shots on goal.

8 Oilers hit the net. Hemsky (5x) Horcoff (3x)

Bad on the dot. 23 for 55 for 42%

Felt Garon played fine. Made about 3 huge saves. Tough deflection by Hejduk.

I found this game difficult to enjoy with all the penaltys.

Brightside Pitkanen.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #22) [message #391500 is a reply to message #391494 ]
Thu, 22 November 2007 22:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Romanus  is currently offline Romanus

No Cups

Every time McGough refs our games there is no flow. He likes to ensure he is a big part of the game.

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #22) [message #391513 is a reply to message #391500 ]
Thu, 22 November 2007 23:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ginjanna  is currently offline Ginjanna

No Cups

I heard McGough's retiring after this year, so not too much longer with him.
I have a question though, will Gilbert be in contention for the Calder Trophy? I know he played 12 games last year but isn't this is still considered his rookies year? Just checking, I figure he deserves it.

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #22) [message #391514 is a reply to message #391513 ]
Thu, 22 November 2007 23:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HBomb  is currently offline HBomb

1 Cup

Ginjanna wrote on Thu, 22 November 2007 23:38

I have a question though, will Gilbert be in contention for the Calder Trophy? I know he played 12 games last year but isn't this is still considered his rookies year? Just checking, I figure he deserves it.

Less than 25 games last year, so yes, he would be eligible.

Seems to me like it's going to be a two-Hawk race for the Calder, but if Gilbert keeps this up, how can he not get one of the two defense-spots on the all-rookie team?

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #22) [message #391573 is a reply to message #391514 ]
Fri, 23 November 2007 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

HBomb wrote on Thu, 22 November 2007 23:48

Ginjanna wrote on Thu, 22 November 2007 23:38

Less than 25 games last year, so yes, he would be eligible.

Seems to me like it's going to be a two-Hawk race for the Calder, but if Gilbert keeps this up, how can he not get one of the two defense-spots on the all-rookie team?

The Jack and Erik Johnson might fill up those spots.

Re: Review: [message #391503 is a reply to message #391484 ]
Thu, 22 November 2007 22:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cementhead  is currently offline Cementhead

No Cups

I thought that the Oil looked pretty good tonight. If they didn't spend almost a full period killing penalties, they would have had a lot more opportunities to win this one. Great penalty killing though.

Re: Review: [message #391520 is a reply to message #391503 ]
Fri, 23 November 2007 04:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Perkele  is currently offline Perkele

No Cups

Quote:

Torres needs to shoot alot more

Certainly not, as I have mentioned in another thread Torres is on pace for nearly 240 shots on the season while his previous high for a year was 164. Torres needs to take better shots not more.

#teamBath(i)robe

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #22) [message #391519 is a reply to message #391484 ]
Fri, 23 November 2007 04:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mclovin  is currently offline Mclovin

No Cups

Well, my bar experience wasn't so bad tonight. My table player was Horc., so I ended up getting a free round of Oilers shooters! rock I must say Horcoff has been contributing a lot more than I had projected at this point in the season, good for him. Nice to see Pitkanen back out there again, that's one step closer to a permanent seat for Grebs up in the pressbox IMO. Gilbert looked solid again, as well as Garon. Hemmer was shooting the puck. Tough luck for the Oil tonight, not only did the ice look like a giant slurpee spill, McGeough seemed to be his usual anti-Oiler self.

Gunn wrote on Tue, 14 April 2009 15:07

McLovin: 1

Oilfans: 0

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #22) [message #391522 is a reply to message #391519 ]
Fri, 23 November 2007 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
31Fuhr31  is currently offline 31Fuhr31

No Cups

For the most part I thought we looked good, had lots of energy, but when you have to kill penatlies all night, you're in tough.
2 of those calls were brutal (Garon, Reasoner), and that Reasoner BS call really finished off the game.
If it wasn't for the penalties we could have won this game, but like previous posts have said, Magoo loves to be the center of attention.

I thought our defense looked solid, but again some of the fowards lacked intensity.
I thought Stoll for one looked horrible. He obviously has no confidence...the play dies with him every shift he's out there.

And yes, the ice was brutal. It always seems to make Grebs looke real bad too!

"Because there wasn't enough time to play 54" - Grant Fuhr, after being asked how he could play 36 holes of golf in the middle of the Stanley Cup Finals

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #22) [message #391525 is a reply to message #391522 ]
Fri, 23 November 2007 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jakey  is currently offline Jakey

No Cups

It is hilarious icon_lol how some people on these threads over-react everytime the Oil have a stinker. Yes, the game sucked last night and yes MR. MAGOO did it again with his COKE - BOTTLE Glasses.

The highlights are these:

1. We have a fairly healthy Dman back....YAAAAAAAAAAA!!!
2. Garon has taken the rope and ran with it.
3. A couple of our young Dmen are really going to bennifit from all of this ice time.

Yes, Burke will get a great 1st rd pick, but hey they are still on the bubble for the playoffs so we do get maybe a 15 to 23 1st rd pick (our new Head Scout is supposed to be one smart guy, so he'll get us another Hemsky type pick)

We just played 8 divisional games with roughly 5 regulars out of the line up and only went 1 game under .500. I don't think that is terrible(not good, but not terrible).

If we can pick up the next 2 wins against Chicago and Columbus and everything we'll be lookin' up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I never bet on the Oilers, but I'm betting they will win these 2!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #22) [message #391528 is a reply to message #391522 ]
Fri, 23 November 2007 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
halfafrog  is currently offline halfafrog

1 Cup

The MacMotivation wasn't too bad last night. I mean this team is young, and it will be up and down right? I mean look at the last 8 years, I guess we were young then too. Right. Definitely undermotivated and that streak trend continues. Maybe thats a positive to have a coach who can rarely motivate your team. It definitely could have been much better for a team in dead last in the West. But with your buddy as the GM your job is pretty safe in this town. I'm starting to think ending 30th in this league won't give this GM cause to fire his friend because its all about winning right? We aren't here to make friends. What a joke. MacT is safer than gold in a Swiss bank. There is always an excuse for Lowe, injuries, boohoo, rebuilding, boohoo, we are young, boohoo. Coaching? Naw. We have Midas. He turns all our youth into....?? Meanwhile who has fired their coaches this year? Washington yesterday and Atlanta what a month ago? Look at Atlanta's record since they canned their coach. 8-2-0 in their last 10 games. Naw, a coach can't affect a teams desire. Not at all. Come on, they are NHL players, they have to motivate themselves right?

I thought the team played ok but not good enough, lacked intensity on the puck as they had their sticks lifted upteen times when they had control of the puck. The officiating sure hurt us. And hey thats a great excuse, ask Lowe! They scored as the penalty to Garon expired I think? There was no way that was a call. A guy skates through your crease and hits your stick and you aren't even looking at him and its tripping? Where is the intent if he didn't see him going through the crease? And they didn't call Smyth for hitting Garon later either. Plus the Reasoner delay of game went off someone's stick. Brutal. I got the PPV feed down here and I thought Rob Brown was pretty good with his comments. I'm not sure what Gene Principe contributes? He needs a shot of redbull and vodka before and during broadcasts to get his mojo going.

Biggest disappointment last night? The freaken ice. Its getting worse week by week. By the end of the year this ice will be beyond brutal. The puck almost bounced over a Colorado d-man's stick close to where it happened to Grebeshkov and almost gave Cogliano a breakaway. The Rexall crew really has to so something about that one area on the ice as it seems particularly bad. But maybe not, its a convenient excuse and we don't want to get rid of any of those.

Pitkannen can fly. Hemmer and Horc played well but Torres and Stoll didn't play well other than the odd shift. Staios needs to put out to pasture ASAP. He is slow and constantly gets beat like a rented mule. Its embarrassing out there.

So this is what hope feels like?

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #22) [message #391587 is a reply to message #391528 ]
Fri, 23 November 2007 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

5 Cups

halfafrog wrote on Fri, 23 November 2007 08:57

The MacMotivation wasn't too bad last night. I mean this team is young, and it will be up and down right? I mean look at the last 8 years, I guess we were young then too. Right. Definitely undermotivated and that streak trend continues. Maybe thats a positive to have a coach who can rarely motivate your team. It definitely could have been much better for a team in dead last in the West. But with your buddy as the GM your job is pretty safe in this town. I'm starting to think ending 30th in this league won't give this GM cause to fire his friend because its all about winning right? We aren't here to make friends. What a joke. MacT is safer than gold in a Swiss bank. There is always an excuse for Lowe, injuries, boohoo, rebuilding, boohoo, we are young, boohoo. Coaching? Naw. We have Midas. He turns all our youth into....?? Meanwhile who has fired their coaches this year? Washington yesterday and Atlanta what a month ago? Look at Atlanta's record since they canned their coach. 8-2-0 in their last 10 games. Naw, a coach can't affect a teams desire. Not at all. Come on, they are NHL players, they have to motivate themselves right?

I thought the team played ok but not good enough, lacked intensity on the puck as they had their sticks lifted upteen times when they had control of the puck. The officiating sure hurt us. And hey thats a great excuse, ask Lowe! They scored as the penalty to Garon expired I think? There was no way that was a call. A guy skates through your crease and hits your stick and you aren't even looking at him and its tripping? Where is the intent if he didn't see him going through the crease? And they didn't call Smyth for hitting Garon later either. Plus the Reasoner delay of game went off someone's stick. Brutal. I got the PPV feed down here and I thought Rob Brown was pretty good with his comments. I'm not sure what Gene Principe contributes? He needs a shot of redbull and vodka before and during broadcasts to get his mojo going.

Biggest disappointment last night? The freaken ice. Its getting worse week by week. By the end of the year this ice will be beyond brutal. The puck almost bounced over a Colorado d-man's stick close to where it happened to Grebeshkov and almost gave Cogliano a breakaway. The Rexall crew really has to so something about that one area on the ice as it seems particularly bad. But maybe not, its a convenient excuse and we don't want to get rid of any of those.

Pitkannen can fly. Hemmer and Horc played well but Torres and Stoll didn't play well other than the odd shift. Staios needs to put out to pasture ASAP. He is slow and constantly gets beat like a rented mule. Its embarrassing out there.

On a regular basis, I'd say there are 3 players that play like they WANT a victory most nights, on a consistent basis: Horcoff, Hemsky, and Garon when he's playing - not just playing a safe game with few mistakes, but going out and trying to really influence the hockey game's outcome. 3 out of the whole active roster.

You don't need to be a goal-scorer or a set-up man, or make huge saves to influence a game's outcome in your team's favor. Take your man out decisively. Move the puck aggressively and with authority. Have a relentless forechecking style when you're on the ice, create turnovers. Drop the mitts every once in awhile.

There aren't enough guys trying to make a difference in the game, and too many trying to play a safe game and not make mistakes. I think this is more systems-oriented, rather than 85% of the roster being lazy, indifferent, and collectively not bringing it regularly. Or, 85% of the roster is not buying what the coaching staff is selling.

Either way, the time-honoured solution.....given a situation where the GM has been extended, there are too many players under contract, the team fails to respond and to be at least competitive and intense on anything approaching a regular basis....is to sack the coach.

The organization has invested dearly in this season. The collective players' salaries suggest (to me at least) that the team they want to ice should at the very least be competitive, with a playoff spot in mind as the goal. At this point, the organization should at the very least be considering measures to collectively kick these players' arses and getting something to happen.

In my opinion - outside of the injuries - 2 factors are at play here influencing this team's performance. They are:
> The coach's systems are not working.
> Many players appear not to be responding to the system or the coach.

It's the coach. This is the only move available to the organization that can have any hope of somehow resuscitating this season. He's gotta go.

Previous Topic:Pregame: Chicago @ Edmonton (Game #23)
Next Topic:GDT: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #22)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca