This day on August 13
Acquired: Chris Ferraro (1998)
Departed: Bill McDougall (1993) Bobby Allen (2004)

Happy Birthday To: Ales Hemsky, Big Bart, drummerinblack, oilers_diva05, Loyal2theOil

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Oilfans Graces Today's Journal
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Oilfans Graces Today's Journal [message #390617]
Mon, 19 November 2007 11:23 Go to next message
OldGreyMonkey  is currently offline OldGreyMonkey

No Cups

http://www.canada.com/topics/sports/hockey/story.html?id=7fe 7e457-8971-4911-8af1-198a7df3a467&k=76974

If you can wade through the self-important back patting going on by a few of the bloggers out there, you'll see the only senstence in there that really matters:
Most fans go online to talk over the latest trade rumours and happenings on web boards, such as OilFans.com...

Shows to go ya - you truly wanna talk hockey? You come here.

Happy to announce a permanent Oilfan vacation.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Oilfans Graces Today's Journal [message #390621 is a reply to message #390617 ]
Mon, 19 November 2007 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HBomb  is currently offline HBomb

1 Cup

OldGreyMonkey wrote on Mon, 19 November 2007 11:23

http://www.canada.com/topics/sports/hockey/story.html?id=7fe 7e457-8971-4911-8af1-198a7df3a467&k=76974

If you can wade through the self-important back patting going on by a few of the bloggers out there, you'll see the only senstence in there that really matters:
Most fans go online to talk over the latest trade rumours and happenings on web boards, such as OilFans.com...

Shows to go ya - you truly wanna talk hockey? You come here.

It's the Big Time baby. Everyone knows it.

Re: Oilfans Graces Today's Journal [message #390626 is a reply to message #390617 ]
Mon, 19 November 2007 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
goffer48  is currently offline goffer48

No Cups

Ya but......ya but ..... You don't really want Everyone to come here, DO YA ???
... I mean, if we get too many " AY " types, ....... then we'll just become likened to the southend of a north-bound skunk. icon_rolleyes

They can stay reading & chirping ( did I say that? ) where they're at.

Oh ... and AY ... ? I know that it'd take far more than anything I could say to chase you from this site, and I ( personally) don't even want you to leave.... well....... cuz ...... sometimes yer good fer a laff. And like something else , we all need at least one of those per day . icon_biggrin

-Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
-Don't mess with old folks, they didn't get old by being stupid.

Re: Oilfans Graces Today's Journal [message #390627 is a reply to message #390626 ]
Mon, 19 November 2007 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HBomb  is currently offline HBomb

1 Cup

goffer48 wrote on Mon, 19 November 2007 11:49

I mean, if we get too many " AY " types, ....... then we'll just become likened to the southend of a north-bound skunk.

icon_lol

Brilliant. Way to make me spit juice all over my computer monitor.

Re: Oilfans Graces Today's Journal [message #390635 is a reply to message #390627 ]
Mon, 19 November 2007 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Longcat  is currently offline Longcat

No Cups

HBomb wrote on Mon, 19 November 2007 12:58

goffer48 wrote on Mon, 19 November 2007 11:49

I mean, if we get too many " AY " types, ....... then we'll just become likened to the southend of a north-bound skunk.

icon_lol

Brilliant. Way to make me spit juice all over my computer monitor.

That comment is pretty win.

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 12 February 2008 14:57

I'm just going to say it, this Longcat fellow is quite possibly the best poster on Oilfans.

Re: Oilfans Graces Today's Journal [message #390710 is a reply to message #390617 ]
Mon, 19 November 2007 18:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

5 Cups

With due respect to the bloggers I'd rather hang out here. You've got back & forth, and you don't have just one or two people driving the agenda.

I've not been to mudcrutch's blog, but I remember a couple run-ins with him here in the OT forum.....big on human rights for criminals & such.

I wonder how many hits these blogs get as compared to here, or HFboards? Is anyone reading them, or are these guys just for the most part shouting at the great void?

Re: Oilfans Graces Today's Journal [message #390716 is a reply to message #390710 ]
Mon, 19 November 2007 19:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mudcrutch79  is currently offline mudcrutch79

No Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Mon, 19 November 2007 20:41

I wonder how many hits these blogs get as compared to here, or HFboards? Is anyone reading them, or are these guys just for the most part shouting at the great void?

Funny that you bring this up. I was watching HNIC on Saturday and Ron MacLean dropped a reference to a blog post on a relatively obscure site. I've suspected for a while that he's a blog reader - he asked Brian Burke a question on a very obscure CBA point during the 2006 playoffs that I'd raised a day or two earlier and, after Smyth was traded last year, he raised a question on Satellite Hotstove that was virtually word for word a point that Tom Benjamin had just made.

As for the readers, I don't really understand the data my thing gathers, but over the past 30 days, I've had 13,170 unique visitors. I'd bet that BoA, Covered in Oil and Lowetide do better than that. I'm sure that that's nowhere near what MJ gets but we're shooting for different audiences, I think. I also suspect that when I write a post at my site, it gets read by more different people than a thread that I start here would, and, when I'm raising questions about something, it's more likely to get read by someone who has the ability to ask those questions of someone who might have the answer.

Quote:

With due respect to the bloggers I'd rather hang out here. You've got back & forth, and you don't have just one or two people driving the agenda.

That's a fair enough point. Personally, I read the five aforementioned Oil blogs, plus Black Dog daily, so I'm getting posts written by a variety of people who I think have something interesting to say. I disagree with you on the lack of back and forth there - there's lots of it in the comments, which frequently veer towards the Oilers story du jour. I note that lots of those blogs have more than one or two people driving the agenda - I've offered people space at my site when they've disagreed with a post that I've written.

The advantage I see with the blogs is that there seems to be a bit of a self selection amongst the commenters, plus, assuming it's a good blog, you don't have to scroll past a bunch of nonsense threads to find one worth reading. There's a thread right now in the OT about dealing with the newbie posters and it's seemed like there's been one every few months. The blogs don't really attract the comments who want to just post line combos or offer their poorly spelled thoughts about the best trade idea possible. I don't think I'd be telling anyone who uses this forum that there's an awful lot of crap on messageboards - even this one - by the nature of the beast. The blogs, in my view, don't suffer from that yet.

www.mc79hockey.com

Re: Oilfans Graces Today's Journal [message #390723 is a reply to message #390710 ]
Mon, 19 November 2007 20:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
configurationspace  is currently offline configurationspace

No Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Tue, 20 November 2007 02:41

I think there's a different audience. My dad reads Lowetide all the time. He's not looking for interaction or back and forth, but he really enjoys Lowetide's leisurely storyteller pace towards getting a message across about hockey. I'm pretty sure dad doesn't know anything about this site, other than the occasional reference on Lowetide or Journal article.

Me too actually... [message #390782 is a reply to message #390723 ]
Tue, 20 November 2007 01:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AY  is currently offline AY

1 Cup

reading Lowetide's is very pleasant. It's soothing, really. Like chocolate. ; )

Muddy's only good when he puts his neck on the line... an' I'm not talking about the 'corrupt EIG' all the time either.

In baseball terms... every good pitcher has more than one or two pitches that brings home the bacon, eh? ; )

As for me?

When I'm rollin', nobody comes close to me.

Re: Me too actually... [message #390805 is a reply to message #390782 ]
Tue, 20 November 2007 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

2 Cups

Oilfans is the only site I grace. Oilfans is the only place where I feel comfortable showing my ineptitude..Maybe I should do a poll on that?! <kidding>

Plus you lot are fairly entertaining, thanks for having me.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Me too actually... [message #390839 is a reply to message #390782 ]
Tue, 20 November 2007 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MJ  is currently offline MJ

2 Cups

AY wrote on Tue, 20 November 2007 01:06

As for me?

When I'm rollin', nobody comes close to me.

Nobody comes close to you, got that right. Unfortunately for all the wrong reasons.

You are unable to understand that there are different perspectives out there than your own. You are unable to justify your stance other than quick-quips and tongue-in-cheek insults. Your reputation as the hit-and-run rhetoric artist on here is bang on.

Can't teach an old dog new tricks as they say.

But you can take him out back and shoot em...

[Updated on: Tue, 20 November 2007 14:06]

Re: Oilfans Graces Today's Journal [message #390927 is a reply to message #390710 ]
Tue, 20 November 2007 15:32 Go to previous message

No Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Mon, 19 November 2007 18:41

I've not been to mudcrutch's blog, but I remember a couple run-ins with him here in the OT forum.....big on human rights for criminals & such.

Agreed.
I like the "shouting at the great void" reference, because it truly is kinda funny how some of these guys (& gals) produce what we can loosely term "material" & feel hockey-types read and take this stuff into account - especially when it glosses over SO much of what makes the game what it is.
Combine that with the facade that there is really more than one or perhaps two opinions simply because they are kind enough to allow (which is kinda a funny term, there) others to participate... in my opinion, it speaks volumes. Can't handle the heat? Write a blog.
Now, while not all bloggers fit that type (Lowetide actually being one of the notable exceptions in the hockey world), for the vast majority - it fits.
It what makes the bright lights that shine on here shine even brighter, imo. And it is funny that some of the more interesting blogs do their best to be topical, but not strive for attention, self-promote, or produce material that they might think is being somehow "missed" - they's rather enjoy blogging to create for the sake of creating fun, the joy of writing, and discussion. Quite different, in my mind.

More to the point?
Blogs can really be said to be more media for the media hungry - and the media itself.
Perhaps even the veritable definition of our loving term "white noise", as it were, some of these things... and really, like the Sirius commercial goes, do we really need to hear another one?
Probably, in some cases... others, not so much. Choose wisely, as they say.
Just my take.

Re: Oilfans Graces Today's Journal [message #390829 is a reply to message #390617 ]
Tue, 20 November 2007 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Longcat  is currently offline Longcat

No Cups

I don't read the blogs but its not because I disdain them. I think they're quite good. Its just that I don't have much interest in hockey at that level.

Oilfans is more of a time-waster when there is downtime at work.

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 12 February 2008 14:57

I'm just going to say it, this Longcat fellow is quite possibly the best poster on Oilfans.

Re: Oilfans Graces Today's Journal [message #390838 is a reply to message #390829 ]
Tue, 20 November 2007 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

J.Money wrote on Tue, 20 November 2007 09:30

I don't read the blogs but its not because I disdain them. I think they're quite good. Its just that I don't have much interest in hockey at that level.

Oilfans is more of a time-waster when there is downtime at work.

Just another part of this place that the blogs will never be able to access - the kind of fun & games that can fill an otherwise mundane day.
Tack on the ability of this place to hold & nuture the kind of jibes, bitterness, and back-handed slaps that are ever-present between your fellow posters, and it makes it more like your parent's living room way back in the day.

And J, you are the bitter kid in the corner who hated everything & everyone in a Buscemi-like fashion. icon_lol

Previous Topic:Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #21)
Next Topic:Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #20)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca