This day on December 7
None

Happy Birthday To: E-townchamps, Piercimo, Lupul15, Jakey, codysunshine, Oilersfanforever, danielduperron

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » The Monkey's Lunch: A Western LookPages (2): [1  2  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 The Monkey's Lunch: A Western Look [message #376021]
Wed, 22 August 2007 11:13 Go to next message
OldGreyMonkey  is currently offline OldGreyMonkey

No Cups

With training camp just around the corner, I thought I'd do a quick take of where the teams off-seasons' rated for the masses here to take in & discuss.
Now, while it is hardly in-depth, it should give one an idea of how these teams each addressed their repsective needs. Keep this in mind - this IS NOT as much a comparison of the teams, nor is it a ranking of where they will finish, but rather how well each team did in relation to what they needed, what they lost, and what they added.
Naturally, the monkey's scale is in bananas, with no bananas clear not being favorable, while a bunch of 5 bananas bringing great simian joy.
That said, on we go. Enjoy.

Detroit Red Wings
IN/BACK: D Brian Rafalski, D Chris Chelios, G Dominik Hasek, F Jiri Hudler
OUT/GONE: D Mathieu Schneider, C Robert Lang, LW Todd Bertuzzi, F Kyle Calder
Lang's secondary offense will be missed. 'Tuzzi & Calder weren't what the doctor ordered, but are top 9 spots to fill just the same. The biggest loss is Schneider, and losing guys to other Western opponents adds to the pain. His loss is offset by Rafalski, but the Wings will need more help up front and perhaps a lttle D depth to reach the kinda highs they got to last season.
Their off-season move grade: 3 1/2 bananas out of 5.

Nashville Predators
IN/BACK: D Greg de Vries, F Martin Gelinas
OUT/GONE: D Kimmo Timonen, F Scott Hartnell, LW Paul Kariya, G Tomas Vokoun, C Peter Forsberg, D Vitali Vishnevsky
One of the league's brightest, yet youngest D forces will be heavily tested this year. They lost a ton of offense, & the massive loss of key players will take its toll here. While adding tested vets like Gelinas & deVries will help with some efficient minutes, this team will gasp for goals and their ownership situation will likely not allow for a true resolution to this problem. This team took a leap backward. Badly.
Their off-season move grade: 1 banana out of 5.

St. Louis Blues
IN/BACK: D Barret Jackman, LW Keith Tkachuk, LW Paul Kariya
OUT/GONE: G Curtis Sanford
Jackman's return will be huge, and with, Erik Johnson here - the Blues future on D looks a little better. Kariya is still an effective offensive force, but the jury remains out to see what Tkachuk will bring back to the table. While Sanford is gone, the Blues still lack a true #1 goalie, despite what they may try to pass off as a tandem in Manny Legace and Jason Bacashihua next year.
Their off-season grade: 3 bananas out of 5.

Columbus Blue Jackets
IN/BACK: D Jan Hejda, C Mike Peca
OUT/GONE: D Anders Eriksson
Howson knows the league, and more importantly, he knows how to add to a team talent-wise with cap-value. While the signing of Hejda was overlooked by most, Oil fans saw that he can play 2nd pairing minutes and be effective. Peca will give Hitch a true checking C & some much needed depth - but the fact remains that they are a top 4 D-man, another depth D, a scoring winger, and a definitive team leader away from contending for a playoff spot. If Leclaire & Norrenna can provide capable goal, they will win their share, but this teamisn't making the playoffs this year as it currently stands.
Their off-season grade: 2 1/2 bananas out of 5.

Chicago Blackhawks
IN/BACK: F Sergei Samsonov, C Robert Lang, C Yanic Perreault, F Jonathan Toews, C Patrick Kane, F Kevyn Adams
OUT/GONE: D Adrian Aucoin, C Michal Handzus, RW Radim Vrbata.
The Blackhawks will wait patiently for thier crop of young talent to come along, but Tallon has sohwn he will add on a minor scale to help in the meantime. Samsonov has the talent - if he decides to use it - and Martin Havlat is a rising star who needs to remain helathy for the Hawks to have a prayer. Lang is an etop-notch set-up man, so perhaps he can gel with one or the other to provide much needed offense. Aucoin's usefulness had deteriorated for 2 seasons & the loss of Handzus won't be felt that badly, given his contributions while there.

Vancouver Canucks
IN/BACK: D Kevin Bieksa, G Curtis Sanford, C Trevor Linden, D Aaron Miller
OUT/GONE: None, really
Grabbed a capable back-up G to play, another good depth D-man with experience, and brought back their emotional & club-house leader. Cut loose some of the flotsam & jetsam in the organization (Green, Fitzpatrick, Sabourin), and will give a chance to some youngsters. The only real glaring weak spot is another scoring forward, although the managed to win the division with a cast-iron D last year & the NHL's top netminder. I like that Nonis DIDN'T shuffle the cards & chose to add carefully - and left himself some space to add at the deadline.
Their off-season grade: 4 bananas out of 5.

Minnesota Wild
IN/BACK: C Mikko Koivu, G Niklas Backstrom, D Sean Hill, D Martin Skoula, C Wes Walz, G Josh Harding, F Derek Boogaard, G Nolan Schaefer
OUT/GONE: G Manny Fernandez
Grabbing depth players like Hill, Schaefer, and Belanger will help, but this team really needs to stay healthy. They were able to ink Backstrom to term, sign Koivu & Bouchard to deals, and grab some depth (although they could use more up front), thus this off-season was one of adjustment more than change. They should compete for the division lead if their goaltending remains solid & their defensive system allows them to stay in games and get points.

Calgary Flames
IN/BACK: D Adrian Aucoin, D Cory Sarich, LW Owen Nolan, RW Jarome Iginla D Robyn Regehr, D David Hale
OUT/GONE: D Roman Hamrlik, D Brad Stuart, D Brad Ference, F Tony Amonte, F Jeff Friesen, D Andrei Zyuzin
Hiring Mike Keenan can & will change this team. Now,only time will tell if it is for the better. Bringing in Aucoin is a huge gamble, vastly overpaying for Sarich hurts their cap number, and an aging/beat up Nolan will be semi-productive... or this year's version of Tony Amonte. Losing Hamrlik will hurt, and Stuart could've been useful here - far more than either Aucoin or Sarich (& likely for less coin as well).
The signings of Regehr & Iginla were their most important moves, but really, the Flames swapped their know D in/out for unknown quantities & hired a time-bomb for a coach (that is sure to have consequences down the road).
Their off-season grade: 2 bananas out of 5.

Colorado Avalanche
IN/BACK: D Scott Hannan, LW Ryan Smyth, F Marek Svatos, C Tyler Arnason
OUT/GONE: C Pierre Turgeon, D Ken Klee, D Ossi Vaananen, D Patrice Brisebois, F Antti Laaksonen
The Avs had probably the best off-season in the Western conference. Their is still some depth work to be done on D, but the addition of Hannan will bring solid own-zone work, while Smytty will bring another top notch scorer & all of his intangibles to the table. The biggest problem clearly lies in goal & this still hasn't been rectified, although the soft market for goaltenders right now could well play in their favor going forward. If they make a move there, and add some trustworthy depth on D, this team will fight the 'Nuck for the divsion lead.
Their off-season grade: 4 1/2 bananas out of 5.

Edmonton Oilers
IN/BACK: D Sheldon Souray, D Joni Pitkanen, F Geoff Sanderson, F Dustin Penner, LW Raffi Torres, G Mathieu Garon, D Dick Tarnstrom, F Robert Nilsson
OUT/GONE: RW Petr Sykora, D Jason Smith, F Joffery Lupul
The loss of Smyth still remains, but landing Penner should go miles to off-set this loss on the scoresheets. Adding young star Pitkanen will surprise, and Souray will add a valuable dimension to the PP. The Vanek offer matched would have cost four 1rst, and happily the Oilers retain the along with a couple extra NHl-ready D to upgrade when the holes become visible here. With KLowe saying that he may very well not be finished upgrading, this team has taken a true step forward - but still needs another top 6 forward.
Their off-season grade: 3 1/2 bananas out of 5.

Anaheim Ducks
IN/BACK: D Mathieu Schneider, LW Todd Bertuzzi, G Jean-Sebastien Giguere
OUT/GONE: F Dustin Penner, F Teemu Selanne, D Scott Neidermayer, D Ric Jackman
Burkie was able to re-sign most of his guys, but two HUGE pieces remain in the balance. Retaining Giguere was critical, and picking up vet Schneider will help off-set the loss of Nieds, but the Bertuzzi move likely cost him Penner and it remains to be seen if the 'Tuzz can even regain his form of seasons ago. A big gamble and if Niedermayer & Selanne shut it down, this team is fair game for the rest of the conference.

San Jose Sharks
IN/BACK: D Craig Rivet, C Joe Thornton
OUT/BACK: RW Bill Guerin, G Vesa Toskala, D Scott Hannan
While snagging 3 high draft picks for Toskala has to be a positive, this team took a slight step back. The Sharks' biggest loss will be Hannan, but Guerin was not there long enough to get comfortable - and that vet in a top 6 spot will be missed. They also now live & die with Nabokov, and need to add a top-pairing D-man - anyone who thinks Rivet is anything more than a 2nd pairing guy will see why soon enough. Still, the ingredients are there, and they should be close to a playoff spot come April.

Dallas Stars
IN/BACK: C Mike Ribeiro, C Joel Lundqvist, C Stu Barnes
OUT/GONE: D Darryl Sydor, LW Ladislav Nagy
While they did sign some C depth, outside of that, they have done little to make this team better. The loss of Sydor will be felt more than most feel, although the Stars do have depth in that area. Much like the Sharks, they need another top-flight D man and another vet top 6 forward, as it appears that Lindros is prepared to hang up his skates. with everyone around them making moves to improve, the Stars merely got a little less deep, and another year older.
Their off-seaosn grade: 1 1/2 bananas out of 5.

Los Angeles Kings
IN/BACK: C Michal Handzus, LW Ladislav Nagy, C Kyle Calder, D Tom Preissing, D Brad Stuart
OUT/GONE: G Mathieu Garon
Easily the most pro-active GM out there, Lombo basically brought in an entire starting line-up. The only problem was that he made a soft line-up even more buttery soft - these guys didn't come cheap. Losing their only good goaltender won't help, so craw better hope for a career year... from someone. This team will be marginally better, but with the questions in goal, the soft nature of this team, and the Cali-factor - I don't see them as a playoff team.

Phoenix Coyotes
IN/BACK: F Radim Vrbata, G David Aebischer, F Mike York, G Alex Auld
OUT/GONE: LW Owen Nolan, C Dave Scatchard, C Kevyn Adams.
Last season's ridiculous FA period has hopefully taught the Dogs a lesson. On the plus side, the Coyotes have Shane Doan under contract, and a ton of cap room. That is the only good news from this offseason. Bill Thomas may surprise as a scoring forward, but this team needs scoring up front badly. Some decent talent and depth on D will keep them from getting schelled every game, but for a team that is at least 3 top 6 forwards and possibly as many veteran forwards short - this is going to be a long winter as they start their chase for Stamkos.
Thier off-season grade: 1/2 of 1 banana out of 5.

[Updated on: Wed, 22 August 2007 13:30]

Happy to announce a permanent Oilfan vacation.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: The Monkey's Lunch: A Western Look [message #376032 is a reply to message #376021 ]
Wed, 22 August 2007 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

4 Cups

Pretty good post.

The one team I find most people writing off and that I don't agree with is the Kings.

Their D is going to look like this:

Blake/Stuart
Visnovsky/Johnson
Klemm/Preissing
Modry

That's not too bad.

And up front you've got 9 pretty good offensive players with:

Frolov/Cammalleri/Nagy
Brown/Kopitar/O'Sullivan
Calder/Handzus/ Armstrong

I do agree that they will be somewhat soft, but I don't think there's any question they've got a ton of skill there.

And the wildcard, IMO: Jason LaBarbera. I'll go ahead and make a bold prediction. I say LaBarbera finishes top 10 in the league in save %. Don't know how the defense will play in front of him, but I think this will be his breakout year.

Re: The Monkey's Lunch: A Western Look [message #376041 is a reply to message #376032 ]
Wed, 22 August 2007 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Prince Albert 1  is currently offline Prince Albert 1

No Cups

LA, if hey get some goaltending could very well be taking a PO spot this year-I agree.

Re: The Monkey's Lunch: A Western Look [message #376049 is a reply to message #376041 ]
Wed, 22 August 2007 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
swany  is currently offline swany

No Cups

Great work OGM, so with all that said, where do we place the Oil this year? I think Klowe will add that forward BEFORE camp, as we saw last year waiting might not get anyone. There are some teams that Klowe works well with that need to move players for cap reasons(ie the rags). I am sure Klowe will try to make a deal for a scorer before the season starts,and IF he can do that the Oil should be in the top 6 in the west if not 6-10. We need one more proven scorer and this team should be very good

Re: The Monkey's Lunch: A Western Look [message #376046 is a reply to message #376032 ]
Wed, 22 August 2007 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Mikey wrote on Wed, 22 August 2007 12:26

Their D is going to look like this:
Blake/Stuart
Visnovsky/Johnson
Klemm/Preissing
Modry

That's not too bad.

And I think that their D is their strength. Blake is good, but Stuart & Preissing are soft on & off the puck. Visnovsky is tremendous, but at this point, I'm not sure either Klemm or Modry have much left in the tank to give. Johnson's best years are certainly ahead of him, but he needs to learn alot in a hurry to be a big value add to that set-up. They will be able to move the puck, but defneding may be another issue all together...

And up front you've got 9 pretty good offensive players with:

Frolov/Cammalleri/Nagy
Brown/Kopitar/O'Sullivan
Calder/Handzus/ Armstrong

I do agree that they will be somewhat soft, but I don't think there's any question they've got a ton of skill there.

Skilled? Yes, there is certainly skill. But I don't think "somewhat" even comes close to describing how soft that line-up is. Calder has some grit but not alot of speed, and that first line is ALL finesse. They will score their share, but they don't do much if anything to keep any out at the other end - and team s with grit up front are going to squeeze the life out of the Kings, and it won't surprise me at all to see half of those guys out with injuries for lengths of time during the year. And like in years past, if it happens at the same time, their ship is sunk. Combine that with a suspect right side, and the holes are there, my friend.

And the wildcard, IMO: Jason LaBarbera. I'll go ahead and make a bold prediction. I say LaBarbera finishes top 10 in the league in save %. Don't know how the defense will play in front of him, but I think this will be his breakout year.

I think that is beyond a bold prediction - I think it precludes the fact that he has to make the team, first. I gotta be honest and say I think Jonathan Bernier is actually going to be the better 'keeper in the long run. He may end up in the Q if only due to his age - but it isn't out of the realm to see him beat LaBarbera outirght, either.
Add in Crawfish's love affair with all things Cloutier (ie: inconsistent), and I think this will be the Kings' downfall again in a number of games.

In all, I certainly feel they are going in the right direction... but they aren't there, yet.

Re: The Monkey's Lunch: A Western Look [message #376054 is a reply to message #376046 ]
Wed, 22 August 2007 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Well, it's my opinion. I don't disagree with many of the other assessments you put up there, but I do for the Kings. Don't take it personally.

As for LaBarbera - care to put money on it? I'll bet that he has a better save % than Roloson by the end of the year. Just a small friendly wager (and yes, I love to gamble icon_biggrin )

Re: The Monkey's Lunch: A Western Look [message #376056 is a reply to message #376054 ]
Wed, 22 August 2007 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
theoil  is currently offline theoil

No Cups

With Hurricane Dean wiping out large portions of the banana growing plantations I can't help but think that the price of bananas is destined to go up and that you have handed them out fairly generously. icon_smile

Just for clarification though am I correct in assuming that three bananas means that, in your opinion, the team is in basically the same shape this year as last year?

Re: The Monkey's Lunch: A Western Look [message #376070 is a reply to message #376056 ]
Wed, 22 August 2007 15:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oilerdiehard  is currently offline Oilerdiehard

No Cups

Great run down OGM. Thank you for doing that. For Nashville I think you may have forgotten they also signed Radek Bonk.

"Eye On The Prize"

Re: The Monkey's Lunch: A Western Look [message #376079 is a reply to message #376056 ]
Wed, 22 August 2007 17:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

theoil wrote on Wed, 22 August 2007 14:10

Just for clarification though am I correct in assuming that three bananas means that, in your opinion, the team is in basically the same shape this year as last year?

Not at all, in fact. The "scoring" does not address how they were to last year other than to the monir extent of that is where they left off & where their missing line-up pieces were exposed, giving each GM a template of what needed to be done.
As I pointed out at the start, my scaling was merely based on:
1: what they had got overall,
2: what they had lost overall,
3: their needs going into the off season, but really I weighed it heavily on -
4: how well they addressed those needs to date during said off-season.

For example, Edmonton got their defense situation addressed, and also took care of two out of the four forwards they needed, so they faired well.
Coversely, the Sharks lost two fairly key pieces to a Stanley Cup puzzle & really were ineffective in replacing them (thus far).

So while SJ may yet still be a better team than the Oilers, their off-season has not been as strong... so KLowe takes home an extra banana or so to the wife. icon_lol

Re: The Monkey's Lunch: A Western Look [message #376112 is a reply to message #376079 ]
Wed, 22 August 2007 21:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

OldGreyMonkey wrote on Wed, 22 August 2007 17:24

theoil wrote on Wed, 22 August 2007 14:10

Not at all, in fact. The "scoring" does not address how they were to last year other than to the monir extent of that is where they left off & where their missing line-up pieces were exposed, giving each GM a template of what needed to be done.
As I pointed out at the start, my scaling was merely based on:
1: what they had got overall,
2: what they had lost overall,
3: their needs going into the off season, but really I weighed it heavily on -
4: how well they addressed those needs to date during said off-season.

For example, Edmonton got their defense situation addressed, and also took care of two out of the four forwards they needed, so they faired well.
Coversely, the Sharks lost two fairly key pieces to a Stanley Cup puzzle & really were ineffective in replacing them (thus far).

So while SJ may yet still be a better team than the Oilers, their off-season has not been as strong... so KLowe takes home an extra banana or so to the wife. icon_lol

I understand now. So if you don't mind I have a hypothetical for you. If Lowe had resigned Hejda and Sykora and not signed Souray but the Pitkanen trade and Penner signing were the same how many bananas are you handing out?

Re: The Monkey's Lunch: A Western Look [message #376146 is a reply to message #376112 ]
Thu, 23 August 2007 08:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

theoil wrote on Wed, 22 August 2007 21:53

I understand now. So if you don't mind I have a hypothetical for you. If Lowe had resigned Hejda and Sykora and not signed Souray but the Pitkanen trade and Penner signing were the same how many bananas are you handing out?

I think Sykora would've certainly helped us out this year, and it was a mistake not to try and bring him back - especially given that he enjoyed Edmonton & openly stated he would've stayed here for less.
We don't and now...guess what? KLowe wants another top 6 guy that can score.
Surprise.

Hejda is ok, but quite honestly, your scenario has us at:
Pitkanen-Staios
Smid - Hejda
Greene - Tarnstrom
Gilbert
Which, in itself is still an improvement over the best set-up we had last year.

My banana distribution might have been slightly less, as Souray, Sanderson, & the solid addition of Garon will make this team better than that hypothetical.

Re: The Monkey's Lunch: A Western Look [message #376194 is a reply to message #376146 ]
Thu, 23 August 2007 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

OldGreyMonkey wrote on Thu, 23 August 2007 08:12

theoil wrote on Wed, 22 August 2007 21:53

I think Sykora would've certainly helped us out this year, and it was a mistake not to try and bring him back - especially given that he enjoyed Edmonton & openly stated he would've stayed here for less.
We don't and now...guess what? KLowe wants another top 6 guy that can score.
Surprise.

Hejda is ok, but quite honestly, your scenario has us at:
Pitkanen-Staios
Smid - Hejda
Greene - Tarnstrom
Gilbert
Which, in itself is still an improvement over the best set-up we had last year.

My banana distribution might have been slightly less, as Souray, Sanderson, & the solid addition of Garon will make this team better than that hypothetical.

Fair enough and I see I wasn't completely clear either. I was proposing doing everything Lowe did - including Sanderson and Garon but substituting Sykora, Hejda and about $2 mil in cap money for Souray.

I like what Lowe did this summer but I have wondered if getting a 'big ticket' UFA became a bit of an obsession. Souray definitely brings the big shot on the PP but is probably slotted for the second pairing ES just as you did with Hejda who, imo, is as strong defensively - maybe a little stronger than Souray. And since I think we could have signed Sykora and Hejda for under $4 mil we would have at least another $1.5 left in the budget. Just nitpicking a little at Lowe but I think that would have been a better 'balanced' line-up.

And that is my concern with this line-up. I like a lot of the pieces. I don't see yet how MacT is going to mold them into a team.

Re: The Monkey's Lunch: A Western Look [message #376078 is a reply to message #376054 ]
Wed, 22 August 2007 17:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Mikey wrote on Wed, 22 August 2007 13:56

Well, it's my opinion. I don't disagree with many of the other assessments you put up there, but I do for the Kings. Don't take it personally.

As for LaBarbera - care to put money on it? I'll bet that he has a better save % than Roloson by the end of the year. Just a small friendly wager (and yes, I love to gamble icon_biggrin )

As usual Mikey, I don't take it personally in the least. It was meant to do exactly what you did, in fact - work up some discussion. I can certainly respect how someone views another team different than I, given sound reasoning.

As for your Fred Flinstone-esque addiction to betting, let me tell you what would make sense. I'll gladly wager you on LaBarbera, provided he actually plays enough games to make a difference in said save %. Let's say that he needs to play at LEAST 2/3 of the games Roloson does before we make a remotely viable & comperable discussion of their comparison, hmmm?
Roloson is better, you owe me a large lobster, sent to my house.
LaBarbera fulfills his requirements & is better... one XL Alberta steak pour vous.

How does that grab ya, Hulkster? icon_lol

Re: The Monkey's Lunch: A Western Look [message #376104 is a reply to message #376078 ]
Wed, 22 August 2007 20:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

OldGreyMonkey wrote on Wed, 22 August 2007 20:16

As for your Fred Flinstone-esque addiction to betting, let me tell you what would make sense. I'll gladly wager you on LaBarbera, provided he actually plays enough games to make a difference in said save %. Let's say that he needs to play at LEAST 2/3 of the games Roloson does before we make a remotely viable & comperable discussion of their comparison, hmmm?
LaBarbera fulfills his requirements & is better... one XL Alberta steak pour vous.

One large Lobster vs one large steak? You're on.

LaBarbera needs to play at least what, 30 games? 35? Or 2/3 of what Roloson plays (give or take a game).

Done!

Re: The Monkey's Lunch: A Western Look [message #376766 is a reply to message #376104 ]
Tue, 28 August 2007 18:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Mikey wrote on Wed, 22 August 2007 20:13

OldGreyMonkey wrote on Wed, 22 August 2007 20:16

One large Lobster vs one large steak? You're on.

LaBarbera needs to play at least what, 30 games? 35? Or 2/3 of what Roloson plays (give or take a game).

Done!

Mmmmmmmmmm............. lobster.....

http://nhlpa.com/WebStats/PlayerBiography.asp?ID=161

You packin' it in ice & sending it Fed-Ex?
icon_lol icon_wink

Re: The Monkey's Lunch: A Western Look [message #377510 is a reply to message #376054 ]
Tue, 04 September 2007 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Well, it's my opinion. I don't disagree with many of the other assessments you put up there, but I do for the Kings.

ESPN agrees with me... the Kings will be better - but not dance worthy.
http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=3003807&a mp;name=hradek_ej&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2 f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fespn%2fblog%2findex%3fentryID%3d30 03807%26name%3dhradek_ej

Now that they signed another goalie with NHL experience & Cloutier is 100% for camp going into this year, are ya gonna overnight me that lobster now, Mikey?
icon_wink

Re: The Monkey's Lunch: A Western Look [message #377511 is a reply to message #377510 ]
Tue, 04 September 2007 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

OldGreyMonkey wrote on Tue, 04 September 2007 12:32

Well, it's my opinion. I don't disagree with many of the other assessments you put up there, but I do for the Kings.

ESPN agrees with me... the Kings will be better - but not dance worthy.
http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=3003807&a mp;a mp;name=hradek_ej&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2 f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fespn%2fblog%2findex%3fentryID%3d30 03807%26name%3dhradek_ej

Now that they signed another goalie with NHL experience & Cloutier is 100% for camp going into this year, are ya gonna overnight me that lobster now, Mikey?
icon_wink

The bet is for save percentage my friend. How does LaBarbera not playing make you win?

ESPN agrees with you? What the hell do they know about hockey? icon_biggrin

Re: The Monkey's Lunch: A Western Look [message #377514 is a reply to message #377511 ]
Tue, 04 September 2007 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

He has to play at least 2/3 of the games Rollie does, remember?
Between Cloutier, Aubin, & likely Bernier making their cases in camp - I'm not even sure he will last through TC!

Pack it in ice... don't want that lobster anything other than 100% ready to go into a pot, big fella!!

icon_thumbsup icon_nod

Re: The Monkey's Lunch: A Western Look [message #418590 is a reply to message #377514 ]
Thu, 17 April 2008 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

OldGreyMonkey wrote on Tue, 04 September 2007 12:45

He has to play at least 2/3 of the games Rollie does, remember?
Between Cloutier, Aubin, & likely Bernier making their cases in camp - I'm not even sure he will last through TC!

Pack it in ice... don't want that lobster anything other than 100% ready to go into a pot, big fella!!

icon_thumbsup icon_nod

Hey monkey man - you still out there?

End of season stats:

Roloson: 43GP, .901 save%

LaBarbera: 45GP, .910 save%

Not only did he end up with a better save percentage, he played 2 more games than Roloson.

You can PM me for shipping details icon_biggrin

Re: The Monkey's Lunch: A Western Look [message #377519 is a reply to message #377511 ]
Tue, 04 September 2007 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MJ  is currently offline MJ

2 Cups

Mikey -- best of luck on this one. If Labarbara plays even 25 games this year, I'm surprised. 2/3 the games of Roloson? I'm thinking you're going to have to wish injury on Albert for that pipe-dream to come true.

Re: The Monkey's Lunch: A Western Look [message #377546 is a reply to message #377519 ]
Tue, 04 September 2007 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

MJ wrote on Tue, 04 September 2007 12:59

Mikey -- best of luck on this one. If Labarbara plays even 25 games this year, I'm surprised. 2/3 the games of Roloson? I'm thinking you're going to have to wish injury on Albert for that pipe-dream to come true.

What are you guys talking about? I said that LaBarbera would have a better save percentage than Roli. The bet takes effect if LaBarbera plays 2/3 of the games that Roli does.

Here's what OGM said:

Quote:

let me tell you what would make sense. I'll gladly wager you on LaBarbera, provided he actually plays enough games to make a difference in said save %. Let's say that he needs to play at LEAST 2/3 of the games Roloson does before we make a remotely viable & comperable discussion of their comparison, hmmm?

Re: The Monkey's Lunch: A Western Look [message #418591 is a reply to message #377519 ]
Thu, 17 April 2008 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

MJ wrote on Tue, 04 September 2007 12:59

Pipe dream you say? Even if Garon would not have taken over and Roloson would have played 67 games, even WITH LaBarbera's injury, he still would have gotten 2/3 of the games. And a better save %

weights

Re: The Monkey's Lunch: A Western Look [message #418596 is a reply to message #418591 ]
Thu, 17 April 2008 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MJ  is currently offline MJ

2 Cups

Well, enjoy your steak! rock

Re: The Monkey's Lunch: A Western Look [message #418600 is a reply to message #418596 ]
Thu, 17 April 2008 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

MJ wrote on Thu, 17 April 2008 16:13

He still come on here at all? I haven't been on much in the last little while, but I don't seem to see him on here anymore.

Re: The Monkey's Lunch: A Western Look [message #418601 is a reply to message #418600 ]
Thu, 17 April 2008 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

3 Cups

Mikey wrote on Thu, 17 April 2008 13:22

He still come on here at all? I haven't been on much in the last little while, but I don't seem to see him on here anymore.

Think he still lurks now and then. I got the odd PM after he packed it in but not for a while.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: The Monkey's Lunch: A Western Look [message #418654 is a reply to message #418600 ]
Thu, 17 April 2008 17:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
V  is currently offline V

No Cups

Mikey wrote on Thu, 17 April 2008 13:22

He's lurking right now. Maybe you'll get your answer...

Adam wrote on Tue, 22 April 2008 11:39

V is quite possibly the best poster on Oilfans.

Suck it J$.

Re: The Monkey's Lunch: A Western Look [message #376071 is a reply to message #376021 ]
Wed, 22 August 2007 15:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
halesway  is currently offline halesway

No Cups

I think the Wings are also going to miss Danny Markov - sounds like he's still considering heading back to Russia!

Re: The Monkey's Lunch: A Western Look [message #376098 is a reply to message #376021 ]
Wed, 22 August 2007 19:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Longcat  is currently offline Longcat

No Cups

Good post. I'll look forward to your eastern conference preview if/should you do one.

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 12 February 2008 14:57

I'm just going to say it, this Longcat fellow is quite possibly the best poster on Oilfans.

Re: The Monkey's Lunch: A Western Look [message #376101 is a reply to message #376021 ]
Wed, 22 August 2007 19:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MyBestGuess  is currently offline MyBestGuess

1 Cup

Good off-season post OGM, and I agree with everything you said, except I don't think I'd have given Colorado 4 1/2 bananas out of 5 (can't believe I just rated something in bananas, though I do think it's a bit bananas that you refer to yourself in the 3rd person) with the goaltending questions they still have.

Oilers Goal Horn
http://skreemr.com/link.jsp?id=6B5D44535654

Re: The Monkey's Lunch: A Western Look [message #376180 is a reply to message #376101 ]
Thu, 23 August 2007 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hemsky83  is currently offline Hemsky83

No Cups

MyBestGuess wrote on Wed, 22 August 2007 19:57

Good off-season post OGM, and I agree with everything you said, except I don't think I'd have given Colorado 4 1/2 bananas out of 5 (can't believe I just rated something in bananas, though I do think it's a bit bananas that you refer to yourself in the 3rd person) with the goaltending questions they still have.

I agree, as good as their offense looks going into this year, I still worry for the defensive depth that team has, and the potential turmoil in goal. There's no way you can give a team without a clear-cut #1 goalie anything more than 4 bananas.

"Ales Hemsky is probably the smoothest player in the league today when he's got the puck ... when he's stickhandling, nobody's close"
-Joe Sakic
"We got to turn this team around 360 degrees" -Jarome Iginla

Re: The Monkey's Lunch: A Western Look [message #376103 is a reply to message #376021 ]
Wed, 22 August 2007 20:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilersR4Real  is currently offline OilersR4Real

No Cups

OldGreyMonkey wrote on Wed, 22 August 2007 11:13

With training camp just around the corner, I thought I'd do a quick take of where the teams off-seasons' rated for the masses here to take in & discuss.
Now, while it is hardly in-depth, it should give one an idea of how these teams each addressed their repsective needs. Keep this in mind - this IS NOT as much a comparison of the teams, nor is it a ranking of where they will finish, but rather how well each team did in relation to what they needed, what they lost, and what they added.
Naturally, the monkey's scale is in bananas, with no bananas clear not being favorable, while a bunch of 5 bananas bringing great simian joy.

Detroit Red Wings
Lang's secondary offense will be missed. 'Tuzzi & Calder weren't what the doctor ordered, but are top 9 spots to fill just the same. The biggest loss is Schneider, and losing guys to other Western opponents adds to the pain. His loss is offset by Rafalski, but the Wings will need more help up front and perhaps a lttle D depth to reach the kinda highs they got to last season.

Nashville Predators
OUT/GONE: D Kimmo Timonen, F Scott Hartnell, LW Paul Kariya, G Tomas Vokoun, C Peter Forsberg, D Vitali Vishnevsky
One of the league's brightest, yet youngest D forces will be heavily tested this year. They lost a ton of offense, & the massive loss of key players will take its toll here. While adding tested vets like Gelinas & deVries will help with some efficient minutes, this team will gasp for goals and their ownership situation will likely not allow for a true resolution to this problem. This team took a leap backward. Badly.

St. Louis Blues
Jackman's return will be huge, and with, Erik Johnson here - the Blues future on D looks a little better. Kariya is still an effective offensive force, but the jury remains out to see what Tkachuk will bring back to the table. While Sanford is gone, the Blues still lack a true #1 goalie, despite what they may try to pass off as a tandem in Manny Legace and Jason Bacashihua next year.

Columbus Blue Jackets
Howson knows the league, and more importantly, he knows how to add to a team talent-wise with cap-value. While the signing of Hejda was overlooked by most, Oil fans saw that he can play 2nd pairing minutes and be effective. Peca will give Hitch a true checking C & some much needed depth - but the fact remains that they are a top 4 D-man, another depth D, a scoring winger, and a definitive team leader away from contending for a playoff spot. If Leclaire & Norrenna can provide capable goal, they will win their share, but this teamisn't making the playoffs this year as it currently stands.

Chicago Blackhawks
IN/BACK: F Sergei Samsonov, C Robert Lang, C Yanic Perreault, F Jonathan Toews, C Patrick Kane, F Kevyn Adams
The Blackhawks will wait patiently for thier crop of young talent to come along, but Tallon has sohwn he will add on a minor scale to help in the meantime. Samsonov has the talent - if he decides to use it - and Martin Havlat is a rising star who needs to remain helathy for the Hawks to have a prayer. Lang is an etop-notch set-up man, so perhaps he can gel with one or the other to provide much needed offense. Aucoin's usefulness had deteriorated for 2 seasons & the loss of Handzus won't be felt that badly, given his contributions while there.

Vancouver Canucks
Grabbed a capable back-up G to play, another good depth D-man with experience, and brought back their emotional & club-house leader. Cut loose some of the flotsam & jetsam in the organization (Green, Fitzpatrick, Sabourin), and will give a chance to some youngsters. The only real glaring weak spot is another scoring forward, although the managed to win the division with a cast-iron D last year & the NHL's top netminder. I like that Nonis DIDN'T shuffle the cards & chose to add carefully - and left himself some space to add at the deadline.

Minnesota Wild
IN/BACK: C Mikko Koivu, G Niklas Backstrom, D Sean Hill, D Martin Skoula, C Wes Walz, G Josh Harding, F Derek Boogaard, G Nolan Schaefer
Grabbing depth players like Hill, Schaefer, and Belanger will help, but this team really needs to stay healthy. They were able to ink Backstrom to term, sign Koivu & Bouchard to deals, and grab some depth (although they could use more up front), thus this off-season was one of adjustment more than change. They should compete for the division lead if their goaltending remains solid & their defensive system allows them to stay in games and get points.

Calgary Flames
IN/BACK: D Adrian Aucoin, D Cory Sarich, LW Owen Nolan, RW Jarome Iginla D Robyn Regehr, D David Hale
OUT/GONE: D Roman Hamrlik, D Brad Stuart, D Brad Ference, F Tony Amonte, F Jeff Friesen, D Andrei Zyuzin
Hiring Mike Keenan can & will change this team. Now,only time will tell if it is for the better. Bringing in Aucoin is a huge gamble, vastly overpaying for Sarich hurts their cap number, and an aging/beat up Nolan will be semi-productive... or this year's version of Tony Amonte. Losing Hamrlik will hurt, and Stuart could've been useful here - far more than either Aucoin or Sarich (& likely for less coin as well).
The signings of Regehr & Iginla were their most important moves, but really, the Flames swapped their know D in/out for unknown quantities & hired a time-bomb for a coach (that is sure to have consequences down the road).

Colorado Avalanche
OUT/GONE: C Pierre Turgeon, D Ken Klee, D Ossi Vaananen, D Patrice Brisebois, F Antti Laaksonen
The Avs had probably the best off-season in the Western conference. Their is still some depth work to be done on D, but the addition of Hannan will bring solid own-zone work, while Smytty will bring another top notch scorer & all of his intangibles to the table. The biggest problem clearly lies in goal & this still hasn't been rectified, although the soft market for goaltenders right now could well play in their favor going forward. If they make a move there, and add some trustworthy depth on D, this team will fight the 'Nuck for the divsion lead.

Edmonton Oilers
IN/BACK: D Sheldon Souray, D Joni Pitkanen, F Geoff Sanderson, F Dustin Penner, LW Raffi Torres, G Mathieu Garon, D Dick Tarnstrom, F Robert Nilsson
The loss of Smyth still remains, but landing Penner should go miles to off-set this loss on the scoresheets. Adding young star Pitkanen will surprise, and Souray will add a valuable dimension to the PP. The Vanek offer matched would have cost four 1rst, and happily the Oilers retain the along with a couple extra NHl-ready D to upgrade when the holes become visible here. With KLowe saying that he may very well not be finished upgrading, this team has taken a true step forward - but still needs another top 6 forward.

Anaheim Ducks
Burkie was able to re-sign most of his guys, but two HUGE pieces remain in the balance. Retaining Giguere was critical, and picking up vet Schneider will help off-set the loss of Nieds, but the Bertuzzi move likely cost him Penner and it remains to be seen if the 'Tuzz can even regain his form of seasons ago. A big gamble and if Niedermayer & Selanne shut it down, this team is fair game for the rest of the conference.

San Jose Sharks
While snagging 3 high draft picks for Toskala has to be a positive, this team took a slight step back. The Sharks' biggest loss will be Hannan, but Guerin was not there long enough to get comfortable - and that vet in a top 6 spot will be missed. They also now live & die with Nabokov, and need to add a top-pairing D-man - anyone who thinks Rivet is anything more than a 2nd pairing guy will see why soon enough. Still, the ingredients are there, and they should be close to a playoff spot come April.

Dallas Stars
While they did sign some C depth, outside of that, they have done little to make this team better. The loss of Sydor will be felt more than most feel, although the Stars do have depth in that area. Much like the Sharks, they need another top-flight D man and another vet top 6 forward, as it appears that Lindros is prepared to hang up his skates. with everyone around them making moves to improve, the Stars merely got a little less deep, and another year older.

Los Angeles Kings
IN/BACK: C Michal Handzus, LW Ladislav Nagy, C Kyle Calder, D Tom Preissing, D Brad Stuart
Easily the most pro-active GM out there, Lombo basically brought in an entire starting line-up. The only problem was that he made a soft line-up even more buttery soft - these guys didn't come cheap. Losing their only good goaltender won't help, so craw better hope for a career year... from someone. This team will be marginally better, but with the questions in goal, the soft nature of this team, and the Cali-factor - I don't see them as a playoff team.

Phoenix Coyotes
Last season's ridiculous FA period has hopefully taught the Dogs a lesson. On the plus side, the Coyotes have Shane Doan under contract, and a ton of cap room. That is the only good news from this offseason. Bill Thomas may surprise as a scoring forward, but this team needs scoring up front badly. Some decent talent and depth on D will keep them from getting schelled every game, but for a team that is at least 3 top 6 forwards and possibly as many veteran forwards short - this is going to be a long winter as they start their chase for Stamkos.

This was actually a pretty good read UNTIL I got to the tid bit on Dallas...I can't believe it...I expect more from a monkey!!!! Dallas lands a franchise player in Toby Peterson and not only did you NOT mention him, you gave them 1 1/2 nanners out of 5....shame on you!

rofl rofl rofl

Stupid Fat Hobbit!

Re: The Monkey's Lunch: A Western Look [message #376127 is a reply to message #376103 ]
Thu, 23 August 2007 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Padre  is currently offline Padre

No Cups

OilersR4Real wrote on Wed, 22 August 2007 20:06

Detroit Red Wings

Nashville Predators

St. Louis Blues

Columbus Blue Jackets

Chicago Blackhawks

Vancouver Canucks

Minnesota Wild

Calgary Flames

Colorado Avalanche

Edmonton Oilers

Anaheim Ducks

San Jose Sharks

Dallas Stars

Los Angeles Kings

Phoenix Coyotes

This was actually a pretty good read UNTIL I got to the tid bit on Dallas...I can't believe it...I expect more from a monkey!!!! Dallas lands a franchise player in Toby Peterson and not only did you NOT mention him, you gave them 1 1/2 nanners out of 5....shame on you!

rofl rofl rofl

Dont forget Brad Winchester!!! The sad thing is I think hes got a 15 - 20 goal season somewhere hiding

Re: The Monkey's Lunch: A Western Look [message #376138 is a reply to message #376127 ]
Thu, 23 August 2007 03:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Superintendent  is currently offline Superintendent

1 Cup

Skylerh22 wrote on Thu, 23 August 2007 00:30

Dont forget Brad Winchester!!! The sad thing is I think hes got a 15 - 20 goal season somewhere hiding

I think it's hiding in the AHL.

Re: The Monkey's Lunch: A Western Look [message #376176 is a reply to message #376138 ]
Thu, 23 August 2007 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dkb19  is currently offline dkb19

No Cups

If by AHL yoou mean Antarctic Hockey League, you are probably close! icon_biggrin

5 Cups and counting.

Re: The Monkey's Lunch: A Western Look [message #376785 is a reply to message #376176 ]
Tue, 28 August 2007 20:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Does OGM love himself?

Always talking in third person amd the banana thing is kind of weird too.

Re: The Monkey's Lunch: A Western Look [message #376788 is a reply to message #376785 ]
Tue, 28 August 2007 20:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Narnia  is currently offline Narnia

No Cups

inverno76 wrote on Tue, 28 August 2007 19:47

Does OGM love himself?

Always talking in third person amd the banana thing is kind of weird too.

Perhaps OGM is copying The Warrior.

Re: The Monkey's Lunch: A Western Look [message #377420 is a reply to message #376021 ]
Mon, 03 September 2007 20:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
azashi  is currently offline azashi

No Cups

Los Angeles Kings

I like the rest of your post, but what's the "Cali-factor"? I hope it's unlike what the Ducks suffer from, which is championship :)

Re: The Monkey's Lunch: A Western Look [message #377421 is a reply to message #377420 ]
Mon, 03 September 2007 20:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HBomb  is currently offline HBomb

1 Cup

azashi wrote on Mon, 03 September 2007 20:26

Los Angeles Kings

I like the rest of your post, but what's the "Cali-factor"? I hope it's unlike what the Ducks suffer from, which is championship :)

I'm guessing it's the numerous distractions away from the rink that make this a team that's a prime destination for guys looking to coast through the twilight of their careers, also known as "Arizonaitis".

Re: The Monkey's Lunch: A Western Look [message #377430 is a reply to message #377421 ]
Mon, 03 September 2007 21:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
halfafrog  is currently offline halfafrog

1 Cup

Surely one hundred monkeys pounding on a keyboard will sooner or later make an error....I just don't see Vancouver getting 4 bananas or 4 peanuts out of 5. They desperately needed an offensive player and got??? Trevor Linden back? Kevin Biecksa back? Aaron Miller is a D, and Sanford is a goalie..maybe he will score some empty netters when the other team pulls their goalie late during a 1-0 game and Luongo pulls his groin after making his 85th save of the night?

They treaded water and didn't improve....that gets 4 bananas out of 5? Please...this monkey must be staring too long at Nuck jerseys from the 80's

[Updated on: Mon, 03 September 2007 21:24]

So this is what hope feels like?

Re: The Monkey's Lunch: A Western Look [message #377441 is a reply to message #377430 ]
Mon, 03 September 2007 22:06 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

No Cups

halfafrog wrote on Mon, 03 September 2007 21:22

Surely one hundred monkeys pounding on a keyboard will sooner or later make an error....I just don't see Vancouver getting 4 bananas or 4 peanuts out of 5. They desperately needed an offensive player and got??? Trevor Linden back? Kevin Biecksa back? Aaron Miller is a D, and Sanford is a goalie..maybe he will score some empty netters when the other team pulls their goalie late during a 1-0 game and Luongo pulls his groin after making his 85th save of the night?

They treaded water and didn't improve....that gets 4 bananas out of 5? Please...this monkey must be staring too long at Nuck jerseys from the 80's

Well, they loaded up on D, which as we all know is a commodity in the NHL at present. And given that when they move one, their will likely be a forward coming back, without really hurting their D depth... to me, that is a HUGE plus.
They added a capable back-up, which will let them be competitive in game Luongo doesn't start, so that is another plus.
And they still have cap space to add some punch up front, a cap-related plus.
In all, it is easy to see how their summer was positive for them.

Add that to having the team that WON the division already, and has the best coach in the NW as well, they needed to do little - and did, while positioning the small pawns in a much better fashion.
I hate 'em too - but they are in a good spot to compete because they DIDN'T blow it up in the summer.

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Steve Staios for Team Canada
Next Topic:Oilers Draw 12th pick
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca