This day on May 3
None

Happy Birthday To: Teemu Hartikainen, Aspin, erixon, thamilton986

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Arizona @ Edmonton (Game #72)
Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to nested viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Review: Arizona @ Edmonton (Game #72) [message #819992 is a reply to message #819987 ]
Thu, 23 March 2023 23:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

benv wrote on Thu, 23 March 2023 15:10

Red Rage wrote on Thu, 23 March 2023 14:12

In having the Leafs lose, I get 99% of the joy of an Oilers win.

I'll never feel this way. I dislike the Flames more than any other team by far, but I will happily root for them in tonight's game against Vegas.

Any benefit to the Oilers , even a miniscule one, trumps any schadenfraude I may get from a Flames' lost.

My shadenfreude spikes if the Oilers are out. At that point, I just want everyone else to share our misery, and so I actively cheer against all the Canadian teams. I hate the Flames most as they're the oldest rival and I grew up just hating even the sight of them. I still hate Lanny McDonald's moustache and I can't even stand red and yellow together. Huge amounts of dislike for all the Canadian teams behind that too.

But similarly, I'm first and foremost concerned with what benefits the Oilers. Tonight, I'd have preferred to see Calgary win. It's not like they have a legitimate shot at the playoffs anyhow, and it would have helped us close the gap on a Knights team that just doesn't seem to want to lose lately. Ah well. Now we just have to beat them ourselves on Saturday. Hopefully we finally bring our A game again.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Arizona @ Edmonton (Game #72) [message #819996 is a reply to message #819992 ]
Fri, 24 March 2023 06:53 Go to previous message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Fri, 24 March 2023 02:02

My shadenfreude spikes if the Oilers are out. At that point, I just want everyone else to share our misery, and so I actively cheer against all the Canadian teams. I hate the Flames most as they're the oldest rival and I grew up just hating even the sight of them. I still hate Lanny McDonald's moustache and I can't even stand red and yellow together. Huge amounts of dislike for all the Canadian teams behind that too.

But similarly, I'm first and foremost concerned with what benefits the Oilers. Tonight, I'd have preferred to see Calgary win. It's not like they have a legitimate shot at the playoffs anyhow, and it would have helped us close the gap on a Knights team that just doesn't seem to want to lose lately. Ah well. Now we just have to beat them ourselves on Saturday. Hopefully we finally bring our A game again.

Same for me. I don't really hate the Sens or Jets nearly as much as the 4 other Canadian teams, but still, I don't want anyone but the Oilers to be the team to bring the Cup back to Canada.

As for this season - we're on a great run since Christmas. Our 52 points are 2nd to only the Bruins (59) in that span. But the Kings have managed 48 in 3 fewer games for a .706 point % (even better than our .703). Vegas also close with 47 points in 36 games (.653, good for 8th).

Not sure I would have believed anyone if they told me 3 months ago that we would go 23-8-6 and in the next 3 months and still only be in 3rd place.

If we want to win our division, it's not exactly in our hands (2 against Vegas, 2 against LA), but winning those 4 would certainly put us in a pretty good position to not only win the division, but maybe even the Western Conference - we've never actually won the Pacific or the Western Conference. Last time we finished at the top in the regular season was 36 years ago when we finished first in the Smythe and Campbell Conference (and also won the Cup :) )

Send a private message to this user  

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:McDavid Stats Targets
Next Topic:GDT: Arizona @ Edmonton (Game #72)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca