F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Skinner Extended
Switch to nested viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Skinner Extended [message #819857 is a reply to message #819856 ]
Tue, 21 March 2023 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

I'm enjoying that we're all on board with Campbell playing more, but there's virtually no overlap on the three schedules as to what that looks like.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Skinner Extended [message #819858 is a reply to message #819857 ]
Tue, 21 March 2023 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 21 March 2023 13:10

I'm enjoying that we're all on board with Campbell playing more, but there's virtually no overlap on the three schedules as to what that looks like.

It's the beauty of making suggestions with absolutely no responsibility for decision making. Personally, I just like the symetry of mine.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Skinner Extended [message #819859 is a reply to message #819855 ]
Tue, 21 March 2023 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 21 March 2023 12:39

bigEfromGP wrote on Tue, 21 March 2023 11:58

Not sure what thread would have been the most appropriate so here we go.

With Campbell still struggling, and Yotes being a team the Oilers should be able to handle without issue, who do you go with on Wednesday?

Personally, I think it's worth playing Campbell again. Currently, he's a very big wild card going into the playoffs (or probably worse, if we're being honest). The best hope Oilers could have now is that he *somehow* gets himself sorted out, and can play at an adequate level. I think the only chance of that happening is if he plays; very hard to get better sitting on the bench.

Wednesday's game is not a must-win, and Skinner will be just fine sitting for a week between games (he's been a backup until recently, he's used to it). I think it's a low risk, high reward opportunity.

Sidenote, Oilers really screwed themselves last year by refusing to play Skinner more. They could have had a much better idea of what they had in him, and probably been able to find a different fit than Campbell for cheaper.

Honestly, I'd probably alternate goalies most of the rest of the way with a couple of exceptions. This might be how I sketch it out:

Sharks (last night) - Campbell
Coyotes - Skinner
Golden Knights - Skinner
Coyotes - Campbell
Golden Knights - Skinner
Kings - Campbell
Ducks - Skinner
Kings - Skinner
Ducks - Campbell
Sharks - Skinner
Avalanche - Campbell
Sharks - Skinner

That gives 7 to Skinner and 5 to Campbell - with the only ones where Skinner plays back-to-back being ones with a couple days rest in between. I think it's good to give Campbell a couple of the more challenging games too. We're going to be in the playoffs anyhow, and it's going to help with everyone's confidence if he can play well in some of those games. We just sat him for almost a month, so it's not that surprising that he was struggling this game. Ultimately, I think we should be okay with losing a few of these, so long as we give Skinner adequate rest ahead of the playoffs.

On board with more Campbell. It's a good constant reminder to the players how consequential their defensive lapses are. Plus maybe we get lucky and avoid playing the Kings in the 1st round :)

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Skinner Extended [message #819874 is a reply to message #815626 ]
Tue, 21 March 2023 17:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

You all are idiots. Campbell gets @Arizona and (@LA or @Anaheim) and thats it. Why would you intentionally make yourself worse? Oilers are still chasing better playoff seeding. Skinner hasn't been playing a full load to this point, he's just fine getting the workload of a starter.

Re: Skinner Extended [message #819875 is a reply to message #819874 ]
Tue, 21 March 2023 21:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Red Rage  is currently offline Red Rage

No Cups

NetBOG wrote on Tue, 21 March 2023 17:15

You all are idiots. Campbell gets @Arizona and (@LA or @Anaheim) and thats it. Why would you intentionally make yourself worse? Oilers are still chasing better playoff seeding. Skinner hasn't been playing a full load to this point, he's just fine getting the workload of a starter.

Then I guess I'm an idiot.

An idiot with memories of Roloson in 2006 that feel as fresh as my morning coffee.

An idiot with memories of Tommy Salo losing his confidence, sinking the team at the worst possible time.

An idiot with knowledge that if Skinner sputters, Campbell is our ONLY OPTION... other than hopping Mr. Mike Smith up on as many drugs as will make him stand.

I believe in Stu. This is why we need him fresh.
There is nothing to lose in playing Campbell more, hopefully allowing him an opportunity to find his game. Benching him is too risky.
Maybe we lose one or two regular season games because of him, but in my idiot opinion, a Semi-reliable backup in the playoffs is of greater importance than trying to win the division.

[Updated on: Tue, 21 March 2023 21:09]

Re: Skinner Extended [message #819876 is a reply to message #819874 ]
Tue, 21 March 2023 22:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

You all are idiots.

This would land harder if I wasn't right all the time when it comes to the Oilers.

I won't be surprised if the Oilers DON'T play Campbell much more than that, but the fact is, they should.

Skinner is a rookie who's already looking at playing the most games he's ever seen as a pro. Managing his workload down the stretch keeps him fresh and gives him the best chance of staying sharp and healthy in to the post-season.

There is a reason why good teams play their back-ups regularly now. Look at the breakdown for the best teams in the league:

Boston - Ullmark 42 Starts, Swayman 27
Carolina - Andersen 26, Raanta 22, Kochetkov 21
New Jersey - Vanecek 42, Blackwood 16, Schmid 13
Toronto - Samsonov 35, Murray 23
Las Vegas - Thompson 35, Hill 25, Quick 5, Brossoit 3
New York Rangers - Shersterkin 51, Halak 20
Los Angeles - Copley 31, Quick 31, Peterson 10, Korpisalo 4
Dallas - Oettinger 52, Wedgewood 16
Minnesota - Fleury 40, Gustavsson 31
Tampa Bay - Vasilevskiy 54, Elliott 18
Colorado - Georgiev 51, Francouz 15, Johansson 1
Edmonton - Skinner 40, Campbell 31

That's the top 12 teams, and of those most have shared the load. The three who have dominated the crease are Shersterkin, Oettinger and Vasilevskiy, and I don't think Skinner's in the same conversation as any of those guys. If Skinner ends the year starting more games than Ullmark does, then that's too much in my eyes, and the fact is, we don't need him to. Campbell's record this year is 18-9-4, better points percentage, actually, than Skinner. He's definitely got warts to his game and I don't think he's played very well, but we still win twice as often when he's in goal. If he holds that the rest of the way and gets 4 wins and 2 losses, that's all we really need out of him.

If we play Skinner every night and then he gets hurt - well, then we're sunk. Showing no confidence in a goalie who struggles with his confidence anyhow means that if he's asked to carry the load, we're in real trouble. Why not give him some games, and hope that he can play his way in to a better state?

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Skinner Extended [message #819877 is a reply to message #819876 ]
Tue, 21 March 2023 23:28 Go to previous message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 21 March 2023 22:22

You all are idiots.

This would land harder if I wasn't right all the time when it comes to the Oilers.

I won't be surprised if the Oilers DON'T play Campbell much more than that, but the fact is, they should.

Skinner is a rookie who's already looking at playing the most games he's ever seen as a pro. Managing his workload down the stretch keeps him fresh and gives him the best chance of staying sharp and healthy in to the post-season.

There is a reason why good teams play their back-ups regularly now. Look at the breakdown for the best teams in the league:

Boston - Ullmark 42 Starts, Swayman 27
Carolina - Andersen 26, Raanta 22, Kochetkov 21
New Jersey - Vanecek 42, Blackwood 16, Schmid 13
Toronto - Samsonov 35, Murray 23
Las Vegas - Thompson 35, Hill 25, Quick 5, Brossoit 3
New York Rangers - Shersterkin 51, Halak 20
Los Angeles - Copley 31, Quick 31, Peterson 10, Korpisalo 4
Dallas - Oettinger 52, Wedgewood 16
Minnesota - Fleury 40, Gustavsson 31
Tampa Bay - Vasilevskiy 54, Elliott 18
Colorado - Georgiev 51, Francouz 15, Johansson 1
Edmonton - Skinner 40, Campbell 31

That's the top 12 teams, and of those most have shared the load. The three who have dominated the crease are Shersterkin, Oettinger and Vasilevskiy, and I don't think Skinner's in the same conversation as any of those guys. If Skinner ends the year starting more games than Ullmark does, then that's too much in my eyes, and the fact is, we don't need him to. Campbell's record this year is 18-9-4, better points percentage, actually, than Skinner. He's definitely got warts to his game and I don't think he's played very well, but we still win twice as often when he's in goal. If he holds that the rest of the way and gets 4 wins and 2 losses, that's all we really need out of him.

If we play Skinner every night and then he gets hurt - well, then we're sunk. Showing no confidence in a goalie who struggles with his confidence anyhow means that if he's asked to carry the load, we're in real trouble. Why not give him some games, and hope that he can play his way in to a better state?

We might as well argue McDavid should play 43 minutes a night. He's the best player and him being on the ice gives the Oilers a better chance to score. Who cares if every other team thinks they need to rest their players in game and manage workload over a full season?

One step forward three steps back.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Previous Topic:Pregame: Arizona @ Edmonton (Game #72)
Next Topic:Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #71)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca