Wed, 14 July 2021 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 14 July 2021 01:28

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 14 July 2021 00:35

Adam wrote on Tue, 13 July 2021 23:39

Goose wrote on Tue, 13 July 2021 23:34

Adam wrote on Tue, 13 July 2021 12:43

For what it's worth, I don't hold this against Duncan Keith at all. I wish the guy well, and I hope he has a major bounceback here. It's just not a good bet, and the Oilers pushed in a ton of chips on a bet that is a long-shot but also pays only mediocre return in the best case scenario.

I actually love the conditional pick part from Chicago. That so feels like the icing on the cake. "You know, Kenny, we think this is really giving you the missing ingredient to go from first round sweep to Stanley Cup contender. We're basically gifting you the Stanley Cup, so really, you should upgrade that pick for when Duncan leads you to the promised land." It hearkens back to the extra pick in the Pronger deal, and Lowe telling Burke that he's basically giving him a Cup with that trade.

Maybe the Oilers truly feel that the 'Hawks WERE doing us a solid here...SIGH.

It's not even really about how Keith performs. He could have a decent season here and fit in on a limited role.

It's still a bad deal given that Chicago had to move him, and quickly, and Edmonton held all the cards. Holland talking about the price being significantly higher if they were going to get Chicago to retain salary is asinine. Chicago had zero other options. Their choices were turf the deal and protect Keith, or accept whatever the Oilers were offering. The problem here is that Holland heard that Keith was available, decided he wanted him and was willing to pay basically any price to get him.

And not only that - instead of negotiating and grinding Chicago - they started trying to position this for the fans in Edmonton!!! What a gift to Bowman. When those leaks happen, they have to know there's only one place that can come from. and the marching orders were so clear to media guys who got the leak...it just made it clear as day that Holland wanted Duncan Keith and would eventually pay what Chicago was asking.

What a team.

Edit to add - here's Romulus' excellent piece on this. Very well-written and argued:

https://romtable.wordpress.com/2021/07/13/ship-of-fools-leve rage-and-the-cult-of-the-gm/

So, what's the theory here? Holland has respect but Bowman doesn't? Because we clearly got taken advantage of and everyone can see it except people that feel compelled to apologize for the Oilers.

Bowman helped get Chia fired by taking advantage of us too, dumping Brandon Manning on us when Chia was flailing. Bowman was desperate to dump that contract and put us to shame. One of the saddest moments of this franchise was McDavid feeling the need to personally call Manning and reassure him he wanted him on the team and felt he would be able to help the team win. Some months later Manning is dishing out racial slurs on our minor league team.

I think Holland just stinks at negotiating, period. Org convinced themselves they HAD to have Keith and Bowman could smell it. Zero respect, even going so far to make us create a conditional pick and tie our success to Bowman possibly getting more. Zero conditions for us on anything based on how much Jones plays. Not a penny of salary retention, nothing. Zero respect at all, just embarrassment. A hit and run. And we'll happily take his call again the next time he wants to dump a contract, I'm sure.

I think the theory is that the Oilers feel they're in this league of gentlemen, where their teams play each other hard, but the old boys really just respect and help each other. Things not going your way? Don't worry about it ol' chap, it'll turn around soon. It's just the cyclical nature of the game.

Some of those rules of engagement definitely exist (although why is anyone's guess). As Romulus points out, the anger at the Oilers over the offer sheets was palpable and real. However, the idea that you can't embarrass or take advantage of your opponent's weakness? I don't know that there's anyone else approaching things that way other than the Oilers.

It actually explains a lot. You don't need analytics if you're all buddies and it's going to be your turn eventually. That kind of edge over the other guys just isn't really important. And you should be able to leak things to the media in order to shape fan response all you want. After all, the other team's GM isn't going to take afvantage of that. That would be unfair!

It comes down to the question - are these guys really playing to win? I don't think Holland is.

So, we're the only team playing by these rules of courtesy? :) I dunno, maybe I would find comfort in thinking Holland did this on purpose, but I think it's more likely our org instantly fell in love with how a future HHOF guy said he wanted to come here and we had to get it done ASAP.

Comparing player/team contract negotiations to team/team trades is tough. Contracts are far easier to argue with comparable. Debating values of all the moving parts between teams is tougher, and I think you can get far more savvy people in the GM ranks than agents out there looking for their own paydays. Part of the agents job is also to talk down their client a bit and temper expectations. The agent is very motivated to get a deal done. GM's can go into things thinking only about getting as big a win as they can, because their future is determined by the results of their cumulative effort. And you have so many teams to attempt deals with, it's not just a narrow focus of trying to sign 1 contract for 1 player.

In the end, I think the answer of why this happened is pretty simple. Keith wanted to come here. We got boners because of his pedigree and success and that lined up perfectly with what we always think is missing with our team (we don't know how to win yet, need more leadership). Bowman knew this weakness, like we all do and he played his hand well. Started high, allowed a middle to form that was still a massive win for him, and stood his ground.

[Updated on: Wed, 14 July 2021 12:05]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Duncan Keith to Oilers [message #789223 is a reply to message #789210 ]
Wed, 14 July 2021 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 14 July 2021 11:49

For what it's worth, I don't hold this against Duncan Keith at all. I wish the guy well, and I hope he has a major bounceback here. It's just not a good bet, and the Oilers pushed in a ton of chips on a bet that is a long-shot but also pays only mediocre return in the best case scenario.

I actually love the conditional pick part from Chicago. That so feels like the icing on the cake. "You know, Kenny, we think this is really giving you the missing ingredient to go from first round sweep to Stanley Cup contender. We're basically gifting you the Stanley Cup, so really, you should upgrade that pick for when Duncan leads you to the promised land." It hearkens back to the extra pick in the Pronger deal, and Lowe telling Burke that he's basically giving him a Cup with that trade.

It's not even really about how Keith performs. He could have a decent season here and fit in on a limited role.

It's still a bad deal given that Chicago had to move him, and quickly, and Edmonton held all the cards. Holland talking about the price being significantly higher if they were going to get Chicago to retain salary is asinine. Chicago had zero other options. Their choices were turf the deal and protect Keith, or accept whatever the Oilers were offering. The problem here is that Holland heard that Keith was available, decided he wanted him and was willing to pay basically any price to get him.

And not only that - instead of negotiating and grinding Chicago - they started trying to position this for the fans in Edmonton!!! What a gift to Bowman. When those leaks happen, they have to know there's only one place that can come from. and the marching orders were so clear to media guys who got the leak...it just made it clear as day that Holland wanted Duncan Keith and would eventually pay what Chicago was asking.

What a team.

Edit to add - here's Romulus' excellent piece on this. Very well-written and argued:

https://romtable.wordpress.com/2021/07/13/ship-of-fools-leve rage-and-the-cult-of-the-gm/

So, what's the theory here? Holland has respect but Bowman doesn't? Because we clearly got taken advantage of and everyone can see it except people that feel compelled to apologize for the Oilers.

Bowman helped get Chia fired by taking advantage of us too, dumping Brandon Manning on us when Chia was flailing. Bowman was desperate to dump that contract and put us to shame. One of the saddest moments of this franchise was McDavid feeling the need to personally call Manning and reassure him he wanted him on the team and felt he would be able to help the team win. Some months later Manning is dishing out racial slurs on our minor league team.

I think Holland just stinks at negotiating, period. Org convinced themselves they HAD to have Keith and Bowman could smell it. Zero respect, even going so far to make us create a conditional pick and tie our success to Bowman possibly getting more. Zero conditions for us on anything based on how much Jones plays. Not a penny of salary retention, nothing. Zero respect at all, just embarrassment. A hit and run. And we'll happily take his call again the next time he wants to dump a contract, I'm sure.

I think the theory is that the Oilers feel they're in this league of gentlemen, where their teams play each other hard, but the old boys really just respect and help each other. Things not going your way? Don't worry about it ol' chap, it'll turn around soon. It's just the cyclical nature of the game.

Some of those rules of engagement definitely exist (although why is anyone's guess). As Romulus points out, the anger at the Oilers over the offer sheets was palpable and real. However, the idea that you can't embarrass or take advantage of your opponent's weakness? I don't know that there's anyone else approaching things that way other than the Oilers.

It actually explains a lot. You don't need analytics if you're all buddies and it's going to be your turn eventually. That kind of edge over the other guys just isn't really important. And you should be able to leak things to the media in order to shape fan response all you want. After all, the other team's GM isn't going to take afvantage of that. That would be unfair!

It comes down to the question - are these guys really playing to win? I don't think Holland is.

So, we're the only team playing by these rules of courtesy? :) I dunno, maybe I would find comfort in thinking Holland did this on purpose, but I think it's more likely our org instantly fell in love with how a future HHOF guy said he wanted to come here and we had to get it done ASAP.

Comparing player/team contract negotiations to team/team trades is tough. Contracts are far easier to argue with comparable. Debating values of all the moving parts between teams is tougher, and I think you can get far more savvy people in the GM ranks than agents out there looking for their own paydays. Part of the agents job is also to talk down their client a bit and temper expectations. The agent is very motivated to get a deal done. GM's can go into things thinking only about getting as big a win as they can, because their future is determined by the results of their cumulative effort. And you have so many teams to attempt deals with, it's not just a narrow focus of trying to sign 1 contract for 1 player.

In the end, I think the answer of why this happened is pretty simple. Keith wanted to come here. We got boners because of his pedigree and success and that lined up perfectly with what we always think is missing with our team (we don't know how to win yet, need more leadership). Bowman knew this weakness, like we all do and he played his hand well. Started high, allowed a middle to form that was still a massive win for him, and stood his ground.

It's really odd. I thought the same thing with Ryan Smyth's return. The player made clear this was their first choice of destination - but does that really mean that they're a good fit for us? Same issue with Smyth as with Keith - his cap hit was atrocious and the Oilers took all of it. He wasn't a fraction of the player he was, and yet he was on the books for a ridiculous number - which impairs our ability to get other people.

I know some people loved that he wanted to come back, that he used his no-move to come back to Edmonton...but again, it was net positive for the Kings. They dumped a problem contract and used that money to gear up for actual Cup runs...

Similarly here, the Blackhawks intend to make better use of that cap hit...so shouldn't that tell us something???

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Duncan Keith to Oilers [message #789225 is a reply to message #789223 ]
Wed, 14 July 2021 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 14 July 2021 13:35

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 14 July 2021 11:49

What a team.

It's really odd. I thought the same thing with Ryan Smyth's return. The player made clear this was their first choice of destination - but does that really mean that they're a good fit for us? Same issue with Smyth as with Keith - his cap hit was atrocious and the Oilers took all of it. He wasn't a fraction of the player he was, and yet he was on the books for a ridiculous number - which impairs our ability to get other people.

I know some people loved that he wanted to come back, that he used his no-move to come back to Edmonton...but again, it was net positive for the Kings. They dumped a problem contract and used that money to gear up for actual Cup runs...

Similarly here, the Blackhawks intend to make better use of that cap hit...so shouldn't that tell us something???

Oh come on! This is no time to insult Oilers legend Ryan Smyth! :)

Definitely similar though. We needed some leadership, Smyth is obviously a guy worth getting for that. Same with Ference, renowned fitness freak that for sure couldn't regress and just needed a slightly lesser role on the Oilers to get back to his old dominant cup winning ways.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Duncan Keith to Oilers [message #789227 is a reply to message #789188 ]
Wed, 14 July 2021 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 14 July 2021 08:46

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 14 July 2021 08:35

A 6/7 dman and a guy who’s maybe going to crack your lineup in 4-5 years in that draft pick for Keith who can still play in your top 4 during your teams window? Cmon Oilfans. Blow the torches out.

Jones is top a guaranteed top 4. Ask Adam, he knows.

Are you doing okay this week? You seem overly angry and have made a bunch of these comments now. As someone who does not like to have other people put words in his mouth, that seems oddly hypocritical.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Duncan Keith to Oilers [message #789247 is a reply to message #789223 ]
Wed, 14 July 2021 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

No Cups

This one's worse, IMO. At the time, Smyth still had some game left (46 points in his first season with the Oilers before production really took a nosedive the following season). Additionally, the top-end talent on the Oilers were all on ELCs and legitimately young (like teenagers). I don't know if any of us were expecting them to be contenders for anything in 2011.

Plus, the return was Colin Fraser and a 7th Round pick, so not much at all (basically a contract out).

I didn't mind the Smyth trade, even given that he was at the end of his career. The timing and team structure were very different at that point than they are now. So too should be the expectations.

Re: Duncan Keith to Oilers [message #789264 is a reply to message #789247 ]
Wed, 14 July 2021 16:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Wed, 14 July 2021 14:36

This one's worse, IMO. At the time, Smyth still had some game left (46 points in his first season with the Oilers before production really took a nosedive the following season). Additionally, the top-end talent on the Oilers were all on ELCs and legitimately young (like teenagers). I don't know if any of us were expecting them to be contenders for anything in 2011.

Plus, the return was Colin Fraser and a 7th Round pick, so not much at all (basically a contract out).

I didn't mind the Smyth trade, even given that he was at the end of his career. The timing and team structure were very different at that point than they are now. So too should be the expectations.

$6.75MM cap hit though, and he had told the Kings he was only going to Edmonton...I think there's some stark similarities. Also, as soon as it became public, the Oilers were in a hurry to make it happen. Didn't play hard to get at all...

I'll go out on a ledge and say that in 2011, we could have got a lot more out of that $6.75MM...

Re: Duncan Keith to Oilers [message #789269 is a reply to message #789264 ]
Wed, 14 July 2021 17:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 14 July 2021 16:59

$6.75MM cap hit though, and he had told the Kings he was only going to Edmonton...I think there's some stark similarities. Also, as soon as it became public, the Oilers were in a hurry to make it happen. Didn't play hard to get at all...

I'll go out on a ledge and say that in 2011, we could have got a lot more out of that $6.75MM...

I mean, that summer the Smyth move was probably the least bad, because this is how they spent their free agent money:

Eric Belanger (3 years, $5.25 million)
Ryan Jones (2 years, $3 million)
Ben Eager (3 years, $3.3 million)
Darcy Hordichuk (1 year, $0.8 million)
Cam Barker (1 year, $2.25 million)
Corey Potter (1 year, $0.5 million)

I think you forget who was GM. Hopefully history doesn't repeat itself a decade later.

Re: Duncan Keith to Oilers [message #789270 is a reply to message #789269 ]
Wed, 14 July 2021 17:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Wed, 14 July 2021 17:16

I mean, that summer the Smyth move was probably the least bad, because this is how they spent their free agent money:

I think you forget who was GM. Hopefully history doesn't repeat itself a decade later.

Sure, Tambo was the GM, but Kevin was the Shadow GM at the time and he's still right here! So expect more history repeating...

Re: Duncan Keith to Oilers [message #789272 is a reply to message #789270 ]
Wed, 14 July 2021 17:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 14 July 2021 17:42

Sure, Tambo was the GM, but Kevin was the Shadow GM at the time and he's still right here! So expect more history repeating...

Ben Eager at 3.3 or Zack Kassian at 3.2. Who’d you rather hve at those respective cap hits?

When it’s laid out like that, Kass isn’t as bad as it seems. There’s still a player there.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Duncan Keith to Oilers [message #789273 is a reply to message #789272 ]
Wed, 14 July 2021 18:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 14 July 2021 17:58

Ben Eager at 3.3 or Zack Kassian at 3.2. Who’d you rather hve at those respective cap hits?

When it’s laid out like that, Kass isn’t as bad as it seems. There’s still a player there.

Gotta divide those numbers by the years in mightyreasoner's post. Eager was a 1.1M cap hit.

Worst of those contracts was belanger by a good margin. Worst cap hit Barker, but at least just 1 year. A very Lowe/Tambo summer in the end. Lots of cheap nothing. Zero BOLDness.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Duncan Keith to Oilers [message #789274 is a reply to message #789273 ]
Wed, 14 July 2021 18:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 14 July 2021 18:03

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 14 July 2021 17:58

Gotta divide those numbers by the years in mightyreasoner's post. Eager was a 1.1M cap hit.

Worst of those contracts was belanger by a good margin. Worst cap hit Barker, but at least just 1 year. A very Lowe/Tambo summer in the end. Lots of cheap nothing. Zero BOLDness.

😂 well then. I stand corrected

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Duncan Keith to Oilers [message #789308 is a reply to message #788934 ]
Thu, 15 July 2021 17:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

I think Keith plays out this 2 year contract as a solid top 4 D, surprising many (here, and elsewhere), then resigns another 2 years at low cost Oil friendly terms, playing 3rd pair, and Oil fans (most) are happy to have him aboard. icon_nod

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Duncan Keith to Oilers [message #789310 is a reply to message #789308 ]
Thu, 15 July 2021 18:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 15 July 2021 17:18

I think Keith plays out this 2 year contract as a solid top 4 D, surprising many (here, and elsewhere), then resigns another 2 years at low cost Oil friendly terms, playing 3rd pair, and Oil fans (most) are happy to have him aboard. icon_nod

This is one of the most level headed and logical things I’ve read here, or other online sources, in recent weeks. Thanks Skookum Jim!

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Duncan Keith to Oilers [message #789312 is a reply to message #789310 ]
Thu, 15 July 2021 19:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Thu, 15 July 2021 18:53

This is one of the most level headed and logical things I’ve read here, or other online sources, in recent weeks. Thanks Skookum Jim!

What. I just realized I was mistakenly reading all your Keith posts like they were sarcasm since the speculation thread.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Duncan Keith to Oilers [message #789314 is a reply to message #789310 ]
Thu, 15 July 2021 19:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Thu, 15 July 2021 17:53

Always here to help! wave

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Duncan Keith to Oilers [message #789316 is a reply to message #789312 ]
Thu, 15 July 2021 19:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 15 July 2021 19:09

What. I just realized I was mistakenly reading all your Keith posts like they were sarcasm since the speculation thread.

Haha. I’m usually quite tongue in cheek, but I truly am in support of Keith being an Oiler and view the acquisition cost not as bad as the masses. Sure, retention would have been nice, should have been done. But Jones is a throw away to me and if it ends up being the second we give them I’ll be hella drunk from a run to the cup final.

Just means some creativity to dress the other holes.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Duncan Keith to Oilers [message #789323 is a reply to message #789316 ]
Thu, 15 July 2021 20:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Thu, 15 July 2021 19:26

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 15 July 2021 19:09

Haha. I’m usually quite tongue in cheek, but I truly am in support of Keith being an Oiler and view the acquisition cost not as bad as the masses. Sure, retention would have been nice, should have been done. But Jones is a throw away to me and if it ends up being the second we give them I’ll be hella drunk from a run to the cup final.

Just means some creativity to dress the other holes.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ActiveSpitefulAtlanticblackgoby-size_restricted.gif

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Duncan Keith to Oilers [message #789332 is a reply to message #788934 ]
Fri, 16 July 2021 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Matty Go Sens @Gerv_Rebrand

Duncan McDavid

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E6XjbvrWYAEPrd5?format=jpg&name=small

I'll honestly be disappointed if McDavid doesn't actually look something like that in 10 years. The hockey world deserves him going full McJesus.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Duncan Keith to Oilers [message #789333 is a reply to message #789067 ]
Fri, 16 July 2021 05:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Teammate Avry  is currently offline Teammate Avry

No Cups

NetBOG wrote on Tue, 13 July 2021 00:42

I see Teammate Avry commenting on the deal for the Hockey News. Always knew he wanted to be in sports media. Didn't realize he made it. Congrats buddy.

Appreciate it, Net!

Also talked about the deal for Yahoo Sports Canada! Let's just say as you can see in the first minute, we got pretty animated on it lol

https://youtu.be/3BhWolxT7h0

A guy who if you turned into a gumbo is a wild mix of sports podcaster/TV reporter and sports writer.

Re: Duncan Keith to Oilers [message #789403 is a reply to message #789128 ]
Sat, 17 July 2021 02:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jerekybeef  is currently offline jerekybeef

No Cups

I am having trouble wrapping my head around the fact that Holland seems to allude to some sort of fore gone conclusion that we had to make a deal. Was he that high on a bankrupt asset that he would do anything to get it? Were the Oilers not in the position of power or can players now somehow demand where they will be traded to like we had no other choice? I’m bewildered. It’s a big cap hot on a once great player that is now long past his prime and significantly declined in recent years. Why wouldn’t you ask for retailed salary when you hold the cards. If Chicago says no then big whoop they keep his salty and his brutal play. Case closed. Truly a stupid move. I hope Connor and Leon demand a to be traded and all Holland gets is 90% retained salary from both their contracts and two 5th rounders. It’s all the Oilers deserve with this bunch of incompetent morons running the show.

"Make the Oilers great again" - Donny Tramp

Re: Duncan Keith to Oilers [message #789406 is a reply to message #789403 ]
Sat, 17 July 2021 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

jerekybeef wrote on Sat, 17 July 2021 02:30

I am having trouble wrapping my head around the fact that Holland seems to allude to some sort of fore gone conclusion that we had to make a deal. Was he that high on a bankrupt asset that he would do anything to get it? Were the Oilers not in the position of power or can players now somehow demand where they will be traded to like we had no other choice? I’m bewildered. It’s a big cap hot on a once great player that is now long past his prime and significantly declined in recent years. Why wouldn’t you ask for retailed salary when you hold the cards. If Chicago says no then big whoop they keep his salty and his brutal play. Case closed. Truly a stupid move. I hope Connor and Leon demand a to be traded and all Holland gets is 90% retained salary from both their contracts and two 5th rounders. It’s all the Oilers deserve with this bunch of incompetent morons running the show.

Haha. Next level anger. I’m with you right up until we trade away 29 and 97 after they demand a trade.

It’s been a week and I’m still shocked and dismayed.

Re: Duncan Keith to Oilers [message #789407 is a reply to message #788934 ]
Sat, 17 July 2021 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

I’m still liking the trade 🤷🏻‍♂️

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Duncan Keith to Oilers [message #789411 is a reply to message #789406 ]
Sat, 17 July 2021 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Sat, 17 July 2021 08:57

Haha. Next level anger. I’m with you right up until we trade away 29 and 97 after they demand a trade.

Just wait until we lose Benson to expansion to avoid exposing Josh Archibald or Zack Kassian, sign Mike Smith to a two-year deal, and break the bank outbidding all comers on Zach Hyman, all while trying to cement the roster before then end of the first week of free agency. Those wines aren't going to drink themselves out at the lake, after all!

Re: Duncan Keith to Oilers [message #789413 is a reply to message #789411 ]
Sat, 17 July 2021 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Sat, 17 July 2021 10:51

Just wait until we lose Benson to expansion to avoid exposing Josh Archibald or Zack Kassian, sign Mike Smith to a two-year deal, and break the bank outbidding all comers on Zach Hyman, all while trying to cement the roster before then end of the first week of free agency. Those wines aren't going to drink themselves out at the lake, after all!

And some people do not like your outward pestilence towards the Oilers management group, but I for one appreciate it. You give a worst case scenario. When the Oilers don’t go full category 5, I walk away like I won something. My head held high.

*We signed Mike Smith to a 2 year year, but at least the 2nd year is able to be buried.
*We only lost Marody. Thankfully we still have Benson.
*Hyman will be good for half his contract and at least we avoided giving Stastny a 4 year deal at the same value.
*Larsson is banged up anyway. Good riddance. I’m sure Samorukov can play his off side.

Re: Duncan Keith to Oilers [message #789434 is a reply to message #789407 ]
Sat, 17 July 2021 20:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
travgwhite  is currently offline travgwhite

No Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Sat, 17 July 2021 09:17

I’m still liking the trade 🤷🏻‍♂️

I'm in the few but like it as well.

Re: Duncan Keith to Oilers [message #789436 is a reply to message #789411 ]
Sat, 17 July 2021 20:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PoolParty  is currently offline PoolParty

No Cups

You're always going off the deep end, how many years experience being an NHL GM you got there buddy?

This forum has turned into a pessimistic cesspool of bitching and whining about the same topics consistently.

#Adam #Kr55 #CrusaderPi #inverno76

#RDOilerfan is possibly reformed, time will tell.

Re: Duncan Keith to Oilers [message #789440 is a reply to message #789436 ]
Sat, 17 July 2021 21:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

PoolParty wrote on Sat, 17 July 2021 20:39

You're always going off the deep end, how many years experience being an NHL GM you got there buddy?

I always love the fans who say “you think you know better than a NHL GM?” If you’ve been a Oilers fan over the last 15 years, you should be able to see that many, many of the posters here would do better than some of the stiffs we’ve had in that chair.

While I would prefer the Oilers didn’t sign someone like me who doesn’t have ANY hockey management experience, I still think I could have done better than Chiarelli and Holland in the McDavid’s time in the league. That’s not even cockiness, because the bar is so damn low.

Re: Duncan Keith to Oilers [message #789449 is a reply to message #788934 ]
Sun, 18 July 2021 00:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Vince Dunn also available in the expansion draft apparently as St. Louis leaves both him AND Tarasenko unprotected.

Quote:

Jonathan Willis
@JonathanWillis

From a Seattle perspective, one imagines it's going to be hard to pass on Tarasenko.

On the other hand, for maximum damage, boy oh boy would it stink to be STL, lose Dunn, and then have to try and repair that relationship with Tarasenko.

Quote:

Jonathan Willis
@JonathanWillis

Heck of a kicker to that LRT:

"League sources say Armstrong attempted to move Dunn but might not have received more than a third-round pick in return."

It's hard to over-state just how badly Holland read the market here. He treated the Keith trade as if A) Keith was 5 or so years younger and B) as if it were business as usual. He ignored Keith's no-move, the heavily communicated lack of interest in going just about anywhere else, the implications that would have for Chicago with regards to the expansion draft, and the issues other teams around the league were having protecting their players.

The Oilers hired a dinosaur as their GM, and it's costing us dearly.

Re: Duncan Keith to Oilers [message #789456 is a reply to message #789449 ]
Sun, 18 July 2021 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Sun, 18 July 2021 00:17

Vince Dunn also available in the expansion draft apparently as St. Louis leaves both him AND Tarasenko unprotected.

Quote:

Jonathan Willis
@JonathanWillis

From a Seattle perspective, one imagines it's going to be hard to pass on Tarasenko.

On the other hand, for maximum damage, boy oh boy would it stink to be STL, lose Dunn, and then have to try and repair that relationship with Tarasenko.

Quote:

Jonathan Willis
@JonathanWillis

"League sources say Armstrong attempted to move Dunn but might not have received more than a third-round pick in return."

It's hard to over-state just how badly Holland read the market here. He treated the Keith trade as if A) Keith was 5 or so years younger and B) as if it were business as usual. He ignored Keith's no-move, the heavily communicated lack of interest in going just about anywhere else, the implications that would have for Chicago with regards to the expansion draft, and the issues other teams around the league were having protecting their players.

If Keith was 5 years younger it would have cost a lot more than a 3rd round pick and a bottom pairing dman 🤷🏻‍♂️

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Duncan Keith to Oilers [message #789464 is a reply to message #789456 ]
Sun, 18 July 2021 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

And I don’t think many appreciate the magnitude of the blunder that is this conditional pick. It essentially takes BOTH our 2nd AND 3rd round picks out of play during the season and at the trade deadline.

Re: Duncan Keith to Oilers [message #789466 is a reply to message #789464 ]
Sun, 18 July 2021 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Mike wrote on Sun, 18 July 2021 10:30

And I don’t think many appreciate the magnitude of the blunder that is this conditional pick. It essentially takes BOTH our 2nd AND 3rd round picks out of play during the season and at the trade deadline.

It's a lot easier to say you'er done for the summer if you can't move your picks.

"The deals just weren't out there." - Ken Holland via Zoom from Kelowna

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Duncan Keith to Oilers [message #789499 is a reply to message #789456 ]
Sun, 18 July 2021 23:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Sun, 18 July 2021 09:32

Adam wrote on Sun, 18 July 2021 00:17

Quote:

Jonathan Willis
@JonathanWillis

Quote:

Jonathan Willis
@JonathanWillis

If Keith was 5 years younger it would have cost a lot more than a 3rd round pick and a bottom pairing dman 🤷🏻‍♂️

Not necessarily. If a team is in salary cap jail and needs out from a big contract, they don't typically get full value on the transaction.

Hell, we heard this as the justification for the Oilers doing one-for-one deals for Hall & Eberle - we weren't just getting the player back, we were also getting cap space! Chicago got a massive amount of cap space freed up AND an expansion roster spot (which they used to protect Jones) AND they got a young developing defenceman AND a third round pick which could become a 2nd round pick.

If that player has a NMC and won't go anywhere else, then you'd expect the deal to be even worse for the team trading him...even if he was only 33 or 34...

I think even if you like Duncan Keith, which you clearly do, you have to be pretty aware that Holland didn't maximize his advantage here.

Re: Duncan Keith to Oilers [message #789519 is a reply to message #788934 ]
Mon, 19 July 2021 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oilfans alumnus Dennis King tweeting about a Ken Holland appearance on the Bob McCown podcast:

Quote:

Dennis King
@DKingBH

Ken Holland is fine with the way playoff hockey is officiated. So if you wonder 97 isn't getting more calls, this old stupe isn't helping. Go listen to him on the Bob McCown Podcast

Holland is more and more mentioning Justin Mahe and analytics when questioned about things. So if you're wondering the next person fired when it goes wrong, that's the guy

"Duncan Keith was the #1 dman for TOI on the Hawks....who were in playoff contention until the last 10 or 15 games." Listen to Holland and then go buy some Kraken merch

So, here's @JShannonhl on the pod with Holland. "Oilers fans are always apoplectic, Kenny, so never mind that." Awesome. It's not like fanbase hasn't had one terrible GM to live through. And it's not as if anyone can't look at Holland's end in Detroit.

"Top four dmen make 4 million dollars. That's what they make. A top dman makes around four million dollars. That's what they make." Holland again & one of the big issues with him/pro scouting. Him and Archie are so out of touch they can't even find a Justin Holl etc etc etc

There's so much bad with this. Not only is Holland making mistakes and continuing to make them, but he's acting wounded by the fan response to his moves. That's not good. If you're confident you've made the right choice, just go about your business. Spending time and energy trying to convince us you're right looks pathetic, desperate and foolish. You'd think a guy who'd been a GM for many years and who has several Stanley Cup rings he likes to remind us of would have a little more self-confidence.

The sooner we're rid of this dinosaur, the better. Although I have no faith that the other dinosaurs at the top of the Oilers organization wouldn't just go hire another fossil in his place. Ken Hitchcock never really has been given a shot to run a team after all...

Re: Duncan Keith to Oilers [message #789527 is a reply to message #789519 ]
Mon, 19 July 2021 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 19 July 2021 10:19

Oilfans alumnus Dennis King tweeting about a Ken Holland appearance on the Bob McCown podcast:

Quote:

Dennis King
@DKingBH

Ken Holland is fine with the way playoff hockey is officiated. So if you wonder 97 isn't getting more calls, this old stupe isn't helping. Go listen to him on the Bob McCown Podcast

Holland is more and more mentioning Justin Mahe and analytics when questioned about things. So if you're wondering the next person fired when it goes wrong, that's the guy

"Duncan Keith was the #1 dman for TOI on the Hawks....who were in playoff contention until the last 10 or 15 games." Listen to Holland and then go buy some Kraken merch

So, here's @JShannonhl on the pod with Holland. "Oilers fans are always apoplectic, Kenny, so never mind that." Awesome. It's not like fanbase hasn't had one terrible GM to live through. And it's not as if anyone can't look at Holland's end in Detroit.

"Top four dmen make 4 million dollars. That's what they make. A top dman makes around four million dollars. That's what they make." Holland again & one of the big issues with him/pro scouting. Him and Archie are so out of touch they can't even find a Justin Holl etc etc etc

There's so much bad with this. Not only is Holland making mistakes and continuing to make them, but he's acting wounded by the fan response to his moves. That's not good. If you're confident you've made the right choice, just go about your business. Spending time and energy trying to convince us you're right looks pathetic, desperate and foolish. You'd think a guy who'd been a GM for many years and who has several Stanley Cup rings he likes to remind us of would have a little more self-confidence.

The sooner we're rid of this dinosaur, the better. Although I have no faith that the other dinosaurs at the top of the Oilers organization wouldn't just go hire another fossil in his place. Ken Hitchcock never really has been given a shot to run a team after all...

Shame that we feel that a lack of leadership is why Hellybyuck was spinning on his head, Tippett decided he loved coaching a 1 line team, and he gave Bear 1 shift in 3 OT's and called him off 20 seconds into it with the whole bench ignoring Kyle Connor wide open.

We're not sick of paying a premium for intangibles and past success. Katz has wasted tens of millions on that just in his front office alone, letting dummies run his team for ridiculous salaries because they won cups. Maybe he will learn one day.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Duncan Keith to Oilers [message #789539 is a reply to message #789527 ]
Mon, 19 July 2021 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 19 July 2021 11:21

Quote:

Dennis King
@DKingBH

Shame that we feel that a lack of leadership is why Hellybyuck was spinning on his head, Tippett decided he loved coaching a 1 line team, and he gave Bear 1 shift in 3 OT's and called him off 20 seconds into it with the whole bench ignoring Kyle Connor wide open.

We're not sick of paying a premium for intangibles and past success. Katz has wasted tens of millions on that just in his front office alone, letting dummies run his team for ridiculous salaries because they won cups. Maybe he will learn one day.

There's definitely lots to question about Tippett and his handling of young defencemen. Jones has a couple rough games early and gets benched for a month. Bouchard has a good game where he gets scored on on all the shots against because the goalie is having a night, and he gets two months off. Bear makes a mistake in a playoff game and doesn't see the ice again for an hour plus. That approach isn't going to make people not make mistakes - it's going to just make them more scared of making mistakes.

It also drives down the value of our own players - if we won't play them, then other teams draw conclusions that we don't value them that highly.

I was pushing for a trade involving Jones some time ago, because I thought the left side was a big jammed for him, and he had more value previously. The Oilers instead go in to the year, scratch him for a big portion of it, erode his value to the point where they considered him almost a throw-in to the deal for Keith. It's disappointing.

I wonder if Keith's leadership can convince Tippett not to immediately abandon his game plan and go back to being a one-line team the second we hit a hot goalie?

Re: Duncan Keith to Oilers [message #789544 is a reply to message #789539 ]
Mon, 19 July 2021 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 19 July 2021 12:04

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 19 July 2021 11:21

Quote:

Dennis King
@DKingBH

There's definitely lots to question about Tippett and his handling of young defencemen. Jones has a couple rough games early and gets benched for a month. Bouchard has a good game where he gets scored on on all the shots against because the goalie is having a night, and he gets two months off. Bear makes a mistake in a playoff game and doesn't see the ice again for an hour plus. That approach isn't going to make people not make mistakes - it's going to just make them more scared of making mistakes.

It also drives down the value of our own players - if we won't play them, then other teams draw conclusions that we don't value them that highly.

I was pushing for a trade involving Jones some time ago, because I thought the left side was a big jammed for him, and he had more value previously. The Oilers instead go in to the year, scratch him for a big portion of it, erode his value to the point where they considered him almost a throw-in to the deal for Keith. It's disappointing.

I wonder if Keith's leadership can convince Tippett not to immediately abandon his game plan and go back to being a one-line team the second we hit a hot goalie?

I think the main value of Keith will be if he messes up, you never have to think you need to stop playing him. You can just assume he will do better because he's a proven winner. If he keeps messing up over and over, still, keep hoping the eliteness is going to emerge inevitably. That's probably the story if his last season, although he slowly got weaker and weaker competition and lost his spot on the PP as the season wore on.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Duncan Keith to Oilers [message #789557 is a reply to message #789544 ]
Mon, 19 July 2021 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 19 July 2021 12:34

I think the main value of Keith will be if he messes up, you never have to think you need to stop playing him. You can just assume he will do better because he's a proven winner. If he keeps messing up over and over, still, keep hoping the eliteness is going to emerge inevitably. That's probably the story if his last season, although he slowly got weaker and weaker competition and lost his spot on the PP as the season wore on.

That should jive really well with the head coach. He didn't seem to have as much of an issue with errors from Larsson or Nurse or Russell. Hell, Russell kept playing through an entire playoff series where all he did was score on us again and again and again...

Re: Duncan Keith to Oilers [message #790049 is a reply to message #789557 ]
Fri, 23 July 2021 14:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skoobz  is currently offline Skoobz

No Cups

I don’t know if it’s come up in this thread but if it comes out that Keith participated in the homophobic slurs thrown at the abused Blackhawks player (or frankly, it could even be that he heard and saw them happening and didn’t, as captain, intervene), Keith may never play a game in Oilers silks.

And yes, I know he wanted out to be closer to his son but there’s a non-zero chance that he wanted out before all the details of this horror show become public.

"[It was] really cool to throw on the Oilers gear, the gear that I want to play the rest of my life wearing. It was pretty cool to put it on. With all the history, it was a lot of fun." - Connor McDavid, July 1, 2015

Re: Duncan Keith to Oilers [message #790059 is a reply to message #790049 ]
Fri, 23 July 2021 15:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Skoobz wrote on Fri, 23 July 2021 14:37

I don’t know if it’s come up in this thread but if it comes out that Keith participated in the homophobic slurs thrown at the abused Blackhawks player (or frankly, it could even be that he heard and saw them happening and didn’t, as captain, intervene), Keith may never play a game in Oilers silks.

And yes, I know he wanted out to be closer to his son but there’s a non-zero chance that he wanted out before all the details of this horror show become public.

It definitely tarnishes the images we've all been fed about Jonathan Toews, Duncan Keith, and others "character guys" who are "good in the locker room." Andrew Shaw and Patrick Kane were already suspect, but this really makes you wonder what all was tolerated in that room. It really is something to not only turn a blind eye, but to joke about the trauma a teammate faced.

There's definitely a lot of media ignoring this, but I appreciate the hounds (Rick Westhead, Katie Strang, others) who are on this. And someone in Edmonton needs to ask Keith about it, though I'm sure he will defer and decline to answer (perhaps with legal obligation to do so).

Re: Duncan Keith to Oilers [message #790066 is a reply to message #790059 ]
Fri, 23 July 2021 15:54 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

2 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Fri, 23 July 2021 15:12

Skoobz wrote on Fri, 23 July 2021 14:37

It definitely tarnishes the images we've all been fed about Jonathan Toews, Duncan Keith, and others "character guys" who are "good in the locker room." Andrew Shaw and Patrick Kane were already suspect, but this really makes you wonder what all was tolerated in that room. It really is something to not only turn a blind eye, but to joke about the trauma a teammate faced.

There's definitely a lot of media ignoring this, but I appreciate the hounds (Rick Westhead, Katie Strang, others) who are on this. And someone in Edmonton needs to ask Keith about it, though I'm sure he will defer and decline to answer (perhaps with legal obligation to do so).

Who in Edmonton would have the nards to ask? Ol’Matty because he’s confused and ancient? The rest of MSM in Edmonton are yes men and would never want to be black listed.

Pages (9): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #7)
Next Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #7)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca