Mon, 22 July 2019 10:23 Go to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Do we give up the 3rd rounder?[ 69 vote(s) ]
1.Yes 35 / 51%
2.No, Neal 21+, but Lucic within 10 8 / 12%
3.No, Neal <21, Lucic within 10 too 4 / 6%
4.No, Neal <21, even though Lucic 10+ away 20 / 29%
5.No, on track to, but COVID-19 will stop the reg. season before it happens 2 / 3%

Do we give it up?

I personally could see Neal getting 21+, and Looch being 10+ away. Looch is going to be a bottom 6'er in Calgary, and could get unhappy like he was under Hitch. His historical PP suck, aside from 1 year, will keep him away from there too.

Neal, he's older for sure, but I think he acknowledges his fitness slipped after 2 straight years to the cup finals along with 2 moves to new teams eating up more of his summer that just started in late June. Looch was probably already setting a personal body fat % best by the time Neal was done playing hockey :). Neal will get his time with McDavid, possibly on the RW, which I think he prefers. Drai-McDavid-Neal could be a good line if Neal gets his shot working again.

[Updated on: Fri, 13 March 2020 15:54]

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Send a private message to this user  

Re: 3rd Round Pick in Lucic/Neal Trade [message #740808 is a reply to message #740806 ]
Mon, 22 July 2019 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

5 Cups

If someone told me you could get a 20+ goal scorer and all it cost you was a 3rd round pick, I do that trade all day long.

Lucic couldn't score playing top 6 mins and getting PP time. He played with guys like McDavid, Leon and Nuge and he couldn't score. The Flames are a deeper team but as centers, the Oilers have the way better centers especially offensive centers. Lucic will go, probably play on heir 3rd line and be with guys like Bennett/Ryan/Janakowski. So if he can't score points with McDavid, Leon and Nuge, what chance does he have scoring more than what he did in Edmonton? I'd say slim. Could he get 10 or 11 goals like I predicted earlier, sure he could.

Re: 3rd Round Pick in Lucic/Neal Trade [message #740811 is a reply to message #740806 ]
Mon, 22 July 2019 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

I think Neal scores 15-18 goals. I think Lucic scores 4-6. And we save a 3rd rounder.

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks and...SIGH...#FireTheGretzkys

Re: 3rd Round Pick in Lucic/Neal Trade [message #740812 is a reply to message #740811 ]
Mon, 22 July 2019 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilerfan79  is currently offline oilerfan79

No Cups

I'd be fine with that result too.
Not having to protect him for expansion and the way lower buyout number is worth the difference in money.

Re: 3rd Round Pick in Lucic/Neal Trade [message #740821 is a reply to message #740806 ]
Mon, 22 July 2019 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JPro  is currently offline JPro

No Cups

I'll be shocked, but pleased, if we give it up. I'm certain Lucic will stumble into the 10 goal marker in the final few games. He'll come out hot and have 5 by the end of November and then hop on to the passenger express for the rest of the season.

Neal won't get past 15 is my prediction. The only way he pots 20 is if there's some huge injuries resulting in extended primo PP minutes.

Re: 3rd Round Pick in Lucic/Neal Trade [message #740824 is a reply to message #740812 ]
Mon, 22 July 2019 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

oilerfan79 wrote on Mon, 22 July 2019 11:10

I'd be fine with that result too.
Not having to protect him for expansion and the way lower buyout number is worth the difference in money.

Oh yeah, no doubt. If I'm right, then we're clear winners in the trade.

If we give up the third rounder we're clear winners too.

Even if Lucic continues to be what he's shown the last couple of years, and Neal gets injured the first day of the season and never plays again for us, but is healthy enough to require a buyout next summer, we probably STILL win the trade.

Only way we lose is if Lucic suddenly regains his form from his mid-20s and posts big numbers while adding toughness and physicality in a resurrected role with Calgary while Neal flops...and continues to play at that pace for much of the next four years.

I'm not worried about that last scenario.

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks and...SIGH...#FireTheGretzkys

Re: 3rd Round Pick in Lucic/Neal Trade [message #740830 is a reply to message #740824 ]
Mon, 22 July 2019 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilerfan79  is currently offline oilerfan79

No Cups

It's a weird feeling, being able to let a trade digest for a few days and still feeling that the Oilers won. I know Holland hasn't made any huge deals so far but he has been handcuffed pretty badly by his predecessor. He has improved the speed in the bottom 6 if the reports are to be believed he cut bait on players that were not going to make it and now he traded away just about the worst contract in the NHL. He's got my faith so far.

Re: 3rd Round Pick in Lucic/Neal Trade [message #740834 is a reply to message #740830 ]
Mon, 22 July 2019 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

5 Cups

Neal gets 20, Lucic gets 11.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: 3rd Round Pick in Lucic/Neal Trade [message #740836 is a reply to message #740834 ]
Mon, 22 July 2019 14:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

nullterm wrote on Mon, 22 July 2019 14:45

Neal gets 20, Lucic gets 11.

Neal getting 20 and Lucic getting 1 would be entertaining as well :)

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: 3rd Round Pick in Lucic/Neal Trade [message #740869 is a reply to message #740821 ]
Mon, 22 July 2019 17:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

4 Cups

JPro wrote on Mon, 22 July 2019 12:19

I'll be shocked, but pleased, if we give it up. I'm certain Lucic will stumble into the 10 goal marker in the final few games. He'll come out hot and have 5 by the end of November and then hop on to the passenger express for the rest of the season.

Neal won't get past 15 is my prediction. The only way he pots 20 is if there's some huge injuries resulting in extended primo PP minutes.

Given his competition, I'd say Neal gets all kinds of PP time, I dont know who would have to be injured.

Re: 3rd Round Pick in Lucic/Neal Trade [message #740871 is a reply to message #740869 ]
Mon, 22 July 2019 18:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Mon, 22 July 2019 17:57

Given his competition, I'd say Neal gets all kinds of PP time, I dont know who would have to be injured.

Problem for Neal is that he's a left shot - I think there's a good chance he's PP2 because of that.

PP1 - McDavid, Draisaitl, Nugent-Hopkins, Chiasson/Gagner, Nurse/Klefbom
PP2 - Neal, Chiasson/Gagner, Nurse/Klefbom...uhh...

It may actually make more sense to move Nuge to the second unit, and put both Chiasson and Gagner on the first one, just so there's a tiny bit of balance...

Otherwise you're going 100 seconds to the first unit and 20 seconds to PP2.

Re: 3rd Round Pick in Lucic/Neal Trade [message #740872 is a reply to message #740871 ]
Mon, 22 July 2019 18:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 22 July 2019 18:24

Problem for Neal is that he's a left shot - I think there's a good chance he's PP2 because of that.

It may actually make more sense to move Nuge to the second unit, and put both Chiasson and Gagner on the first one, just so there's a tiny bit of balance...

Could we see a major leap of coaching creativity and actually try McDavid on the left wall? And he is looking at 3 options for 1-timers, Drai, Klef, and maybe Neal on the right side? 1st unit has been begging for a pure shooter for a long time.

Nuge and Gags can try to recreate some old time magic on the 2nd unit :)

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: 3rd Round Pick in Lucic/Neal Trade [message #740877 is a reply to message #740811 ]
Mon, 22 July 2019 20:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 22 July 2019 11:03

I think Neal scores 15-18 goals. I think Lucic scores 4-6. And we save a 3rd rounder.

That's kind of where I'm at too. Anything more is bonus and well worth the third. As it is, it's nice to walk away with a guy who will put in 12+ more.

Re: 3rd Round Pick in Lucic/Neal Trade [message #740951 is a reply to message #740872 ]
Tue, 23 July 2019 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 22 July 2019 18:43

Adam wrote on Mon, 22 July 2019 18:24

Could we see a major leap of coaching creativity and actually try McDavid on the left wall? And he is looking at 3 options for 1-timers, Drai, Klef, and maybe Neal on the right side? 1st unit has been begging for a pure shooter for a long time.

Nuge and Gags can try to recreate some old time magic on the 2nd unit :)

I was actually thinking about a similar thought. Swapping Nuge for Neal and actually have a legit shooter on the PP for a change.

So McDavid, Leon, Chiasson, Neal and then a dman. Maybe a wild card for the dman is Persson. His bread and butter is offensive, puck moving and he supposedly as a good shot.

Re: 3rd Round Pick in Lucic/Neal Trade [message #740961 is a reply to message #740871 ]
Tue, 23 July 2019 15:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LetsBawesome  is currently offline LetsBawesome

No Cups

I would love to see them separate Mcnugedraivid on the PP.

McDavid-Dri-Chaission-Pearsson-??

Nuge-Neal-Gags-Klef-Karhia-??

Have Dri one left one time shot on PP1 and Neal the same spot PP2.

Maybe we can actually have 2 PP that can compete w each other. Pipe dream maybe but I think thats enough tallent to make it work if everyone moves and passes the puck quicker. I prefer McDavid passing and Dri 0ne timing because when Dri gets the puck he slows the PP down to a stand still.

Re: 3rd Round Pick in Lucic/Neal Trade [message #740963 is a reply to message #740961 ]
Tue, 23 July 2019 16:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

LetsBawesome wrote on Tue, 23 July 2019 15:46

Maybe we can actually have 2 PP that can compete w each other. Pipe dream maybe but I think thats enough tallent to make it work if everyone moves and passes the puck quicker. I prefer McDavid passing and Dri 0ne timing because when Dri gets the puck he slows the PP down to a stand still.

Interesting to know - there's been a strong move away from two competing powerplays across the league with an emphasis on loading up PP1, and an increasing tilt from one minute for each unit to a longer first shift and only 30-45 seconds for the second unit - if that.

It does make some sense. You shouldn't get as tired on the powerplay, because you're (hopefully) not skating end to end. Your best players, assuming they have the gas, give you the best chance to score, so why not load them up!

Healthy, I think Klefbom is the best Left-shooting defenceman option for the PP. If he sticks (and as much as the Oilers have talked about over-ripening, I still think there's a chance he does), Bouchard might get a push on the top PP unit as a big right shot.

It does make sense if you are going with Nuge and Klefbom/Nurse on the top unit that you'd flip sides and run it off the other side-boards opening up a host of one-timer options (although making it a little tougher on your side-board guy (McDavid) and down-low player (Draisaitl).

I have a hard time thinking they'll split up the big three on the PP simply because they just don't have enough decent threats. This is a team that gave Colby Cave powerplay time at points this year. They don't have enough real options that you ever want some of those guys out on a regular PP shift.

Re: 3rd Round Pick in Lucic/Neal Trade [message #740972 is a reply to message #740963 ]
Tue, 23 July 2019 16:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Tue, 23 July 2019 16:01

LetsBawesome wrote on Tue, 23 July 2019 15:46

Interesting to know - there's been a strong move away from two competing powerplays across the league with an emphasis on loading up PP1, and an increasing tilt from one minute for each unit to a longer first shift and only 30-45 seconds for the second unit - if that.

It does make some sense. You shouldn't get as tired on the powerplay, because you're (hopefully) not skating end to end. Your best players, assuming they have the gas, give you the best chance to score, so why not load them up!

Healthy, I think Klefbom is the best Left-shooting defenceman option for the PP. If he sticks (and as much as the Oilers have talked about over-ripening, I still think there's a chance he does), Bouchard might get a push on the top PP unit as a big right shot.

It does make sense if you are going with Nuge and Klefbom/Nurse on the top unit that you'd flip sides and run it off the other side-boards opening up a host of one-timer options (although making it a little tougher on your side-board guy (McDavid) and down-low player (Draisaitl).

I have a hard time thinking they'll split up the big three on the PP simply because they just don't have enough decent threats. This is a team that gave Colby Cave powerplay time at points this year. They don't have enough real options that you ever want some of those guys out on a regular PP shift.

I prefer when the coach just rotates his lineup through on the powerplay

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: 3rd Round Pick in Lucic/Neal Trade [message #740979 is a reply to message #740806 ]
Tue, 23 July 2019 17:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

I think Neal has a good chance at 21 plus with McDavid in the picture now. Set up man ( maybe the best in the league ) meets shooter. I really like his chances of having a big come back season with the Oilers, strong motivation being the number two reason.

Re: 3rd Round Pick in Lucic/Neal Trade [message #747476 is a reply to message #740806 ]
Fri, 22 November 2019 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oilers chances of keeping the picks may have just improved:

Quote:

Derek Wills
@Fan960Wills

#Flames power play at practice:
PP1
Lucic
Gaudreau-Monahan-Tkachuk
Giordano
PP2
Jankowski
Lindholm-Ryan-Dube
Hanifin

Lucic to PP1!!! Amazing. I'm sure this time it will be a smashing success.

Re: 3rd Round Pick in Lucic/Neal Trade [message #747477 is a reply to message #747476 ]
Fri, 22 November 2019 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 22 November 2019 13:35

Quote:

Derek Wills
@Fan960Wills

PP1
Lucic
Gaudreau-Monahan-Tkachuk
Giordano
PP2
Jankowski
Lindholm-Ryan-Dube
Hanifin

The clearest proof yet that the Flames had zero use for Neal this season. Their lineup is just too crowded with goal scorers and guys that can play the front of the net on the PP. Neal would have been in the AHL, clearly.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: 3rd Round Pick in Lucic/Neal Trade [message #747478 is a reply to message #747477 ]
Fri, 22 November 2019 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 22 November 2019 14:04

Quote:

Derek Wills
@Fan960Wills

PP1
Lucic
Gaudreau-Monahan-Tkachuk
Giordano
PP2
Jankowski
Lindholm-Ryan-Dube
Hanifin

The clearest proof yet that the Flames had zero use for Neal this season. Their lineup is just too crowded with goal scorers and guys that can play the front of the net on the PP. Neal would have been in the AHL, clearly.

Big body in front. this is a 30 goal scorer we're talking about. imagine him with Johnny G putting it right on his tape. and a 30-something year old captain! Dominant.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: 3rd Round Pick in Lucic/Neal Trade [message #747480 is a reply to message #747478 ]
Fri, 22 November 2019 14:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Fri, 22 November 2019 14:08

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 22 November 2019 14:04

Quote:

Derek Wills
@Fan960Wills

PP1
Lucic
Gaudreau-Monahan-Tkachuk
Giordano
PP2
Jankowski
Lindholm-Ryan-Dube
Hanifin

Big body in front. this is a 30 goal scorer we're talking about. imagine him with Johnny G putting it right on his tape. and a 30-something year old captain! Dominant.

Wes Gilbertson @WesGilbertson
#Flames GM Brad Treliving says everyone needs to be accountable for struggles. “It starts with the manager. The manager has been horses@$%.”

Obviously Treliving is talking about the signing of Rieder, his only bad move last summer. Rieder is a GM killer. if Rieder had 2-3 goals right now (year pace of 12), the Flames would be in a playoff spot right now.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: 3rd Round Pick in Lucic/Neal Trade [message #747482 is a reply to message #747476 ]
Fri, 22 November 2019 18:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

One has to go in off his butt sooner or later.

Re: 3rd Round Pick in Lucic/Neal Trade [message #747483 is a reply to message #747482 ]
Fri, 22 November 2019 19:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

5 Cups

overdue wrote on Fri, 22 November 2019 17:46

One has to go in off his butt sooner or later.

.... but what if it didn't....?

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: 3rd Round Pick in Lucic/Neal Trade [message #747484 is a reply to message #747480 ]
Fri, 22 November 2019 20:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Xombie  is currently offline Xombie

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 22 November 2019 13:44

Wes Gilbertson @WesGilbertson
#Flames GM Brad Treliving says everyone needs to be accountable for struggles. “It starts with the manager. The manager has been horses@$%.”

Stealing what the Dallas GM tried last year with Benn and Seguin.

Bob Marley and the (Hartford) Wailers.

Re: 3rd Round Pick in Lucic/Neal Trade [message #747690 is a reply to message #747483 ]
Mon, 25 November 2019 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Neal had 10 consecutive 20 goal seasons but Peter's decided he didn't like Neal and had no use for him pretty early last season. So he gets his GM to trade him. Rather than just dump Neal for a pick so while you get nothing for the player, you at least get the asset of cap space. They overreact to the AVs whipping them in the playoff, think they lost because they weren't tough enough when in reality it's because their best players didn't play well. So they trade Neal for Lucic. Lucic is a goon, who's skills are gone and who's no longer suited for the NHL.

So they downgrade their team skill, get a player who can't play in the NHL anymore, a player who you basically have to play because he makes too much money to sit and they don't even get cap space. That's how you build a losing team.

Re: 3rd Round Pick in Lucic/Neal Trade [message #747693 is a reply to message #747690 ]
Mon, 25 November 2019 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 25 November 2019 12:15

Neal had 10 consecutive 20 goal seasons but Peter's decided he didn't like Neal and had no use for him pretty early last season. So he gets his GM to trade him. Rather than just dump Neal for a pick so while you get nothing for the player, you at least get the asset of cap space. They overreact to the AVs whipping them in the playoff, think they lost because they weren't tough enough when in reality it's because their best players didn't play well. So they trade Neal for Lucic. Lucic is a goon, who's skills are gone and who's no longer suited for the NHL.

So they downgrade their team skill, get a player who can't play in the NHL anymore, a player who you basically have to play because he makes too much money to sit and they don't even get cap space. That's how you build a losing team.

I like to give you credit for this. Maybe Treliving wandered on to Oilfans one day and read your projections that Lucic would rebound somewhat this year because he could not be worse and decided to pull the trigger based on that?

Re: 3rd Round Pick in Lucic/Neal Trade [message #747694 is a reply to message #747690 ]
Mon, 25 November 2019 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I don't doubt that Neal was off his game last year for Calgary. I know flames players/managers/coaches have no experience with playoffs, but there is pretty clear history what a run to the finals does to players. Neal had 2 runs to the finals the last 2 years. And he had to move both summers. He basically went 2 summers in a row not having any opportunity to train properly. He was set up to have a weak season in his first for the Flames. They just had to wait it out and get more from him this year. Instead, they traded for a guy that fell completely off a cliff 2 seasons prior with zero excuses for his play aside from him just sucking.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: 3rd Round Pick in Lucic/Neal Trade [message #747696 is a reply to message #747693 ]
Mon, 25 November 2019 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 25 November 2019 12:22

I like to give you credit for this. Maybe Treliving wandered on to Oilfans one day and read your projections that Lucic would rebound somewhat this year because he could not be worse and decided to pull the trigger based on that?

I said I thought he would rebound the last couple seasons because whatelse was there to hope for? He had a buyout proof contract and I didn't think he was tradable. So I assumed he was here until the contract ran out.

Even after all these months, I still can't believe the Oilers traded him. I thought IF it was possible, they would eat 50% and have to give up a good asset.

Re: 3rd Round Pick in Lucic/Neal Trade [message #747697 is a reply to message #747694 ]
Mon, 25 November 2019 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 25 November 2019 12:24

I don't doubt that Neal was off his game last year for Calgary. I know flames players/managers/coaches have no experience with playoffs, but there is pretty clear history what a run to the finals does to players. Neal had 2 runs to the finals the last 2 years. And he had to move both summers. He basically went 2 summers in a row not having any opportunity to train properly. He was set up to have a weak season in his first for the Flames. They just had to wait it out and get more from him this year. Instead, they traded for a guy that fell completely off a cliff 2 seasons prior with zero excuses for his play aside from him just sucking.

There is a good chance he wouldn't be scoring like he is if he was still a Flame but I would have put money down he could have gotten 10+ goals for the Flames. I would have guessed 13-14. I don't even know if Lucic will get 5 goals. He's even worse than he was with the Oilers. They even honored his No move. So they have to protect him for expansion.

Neal is on a 44 goal pace. I don't think he gets that but there are 56 games left, chances are he's going to get at least 10 more goals in 56 games. I am going to guess that Lucic manages to fluke in a couple of goals. My guess is he gets 3 for the year. I think it's a slam dunk that Neal outscores Lucic by over 20 goals. As a team, you can't make up that many goals.

Re: 3rd Round Pick in Lucic/Neal Trade [message #747699 is a reply to message #747697 ]
Mon, 25 November 2019 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 25 November 2019 12:36

There is a good chance he wouldn't be scoring like he is if he was still a Flame but I would have put money down he could have gotten 10+ goals for the Flames. I would have guessed 13-14. I don't even know if Lucic will get 5 goals. He's even worse than he was with the Oilers. They even honored his No move. So they have to protect him for expansion.

Neal is on a 44 goal pace. I don't think he gets that but there are 56 games left, chances are he's going to get at least 10 more goals in 56 games. I am going to guess that Lucic manages to fluke in a couple of goals. My guess is he gets 3 for the year. I think it's a slam dunk that Neal outscores Lucic by over 20 goals. As a team, you can't make up that many goals.

If I'm in management with the Flames, I'm starting to have the conversation with Lucic about retirement as the season moves to a close...maybe he's got a nagging injury that's going to take him the whole rest of that contract to recover from? I'm making clear that if he doesn't, his career will end embarrassingly as a healthy scratch for weeks on end since he can't be demoted to the AHL.

It would not surprise me in the least if he develops an allergy to hockey equipment after this season.

For what it's worth, I have the over/under at 2.5 goals for the season. Really weak shooting stats, and cratering shooting percentage equals no threat to score. He's actually shooting more now than he did last year though...so who knows...maybe he can beat Toby Rieder's record from last year!!!

Re: 3rd Round Pick in Lucic/Neal Trade [message #747701 is a reply to message #747699 ]
Mon, 25 November 2019 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Mon, 25 November 2019 12:46

If I'm in management with the Flames, I'm starting to have the conversation with Lucic about retirement as the season moves to a close...maybe he's got a nagging injury that's going to take him the whole rest of that contract to recover from? I'm making clear that if he doesn't, his career will end embarrassingly as a healthy scratch for weeks on end since he can't be demoted to the AHL.

It would not surprise me in the least if he develops an allergy to hockey equipment after this season.

For what it's worth, I have the over/under at 2.5 goals for the season. Really weak shooting stats, and cratering shooting percentage equals no threat to score. He's actually shooting more now than he did last year though...so who knows...maybe he can beat Toby Rieder's record from last year!!!

Lucic will waive to be available for Seattle, who will need a couple boat anchor contracts to reach the floor. Then, after a few goodbye laps close to his hometown, he will become allergic to hockey tape and go on IR forever.

Re: 3rd Round Pick in Lucic/Neal Trade [message #747702 is a reply to message #747699 ]
Mon, 25 November 2019 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

I don't think Lucic would care. I have heard his comments and just like when he was with the Oilers, they talk to him a lot. He says the same crap as he did with the Oilers. He's doing worse than last year, no team will go near him so he doesn't even have an impact physically. So you'd think he would something different and if no one will engage you, you engage them. Run around. Nope. He just does this thing. So I don't think he's not going to forfeit 14 mill which is what is left to be paid and retire. If it was like Hossa where his cap hit was big but the actual money was next to nothing, then maybe. If Lucic cared, he would have been doing what he needed to do to try and get better when he was an Oiler. Instead he laughed when people suggested he use a skills coach making a joke about not needed to learn to dangle. He goes to a new team, new coach and he's even worse than last year. That tells me he's just doing what he normally does. Sure he comes into camp in amazing shape but he doesn't work on his skills. You'd think at his size, he would be able to just go to the net and bang the odd one in just because people can't move him.

[Updated on: Mon, 25 November 2019 13:06]

Re: 3rd Round Pick in Lucic/Neal Trade [message #747703 is a reply to message #747699 ]
Mon, 25 November 2019 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

No chance he retires IMO. He wants his money, and he will want to keep breaking his best shape of his life record.

LTIR...that's a tough one. The Oilers should definitely be challenging the NHL on accepting any bull from their rivals. No reason for an amazing fitness freak like Looch to need to sit out.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: 3rd Round Pick in Lucic/Neal Trade [message #747704 is a reply to message #747701 ]
Mon, 25 November 2019 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Mon, 25 November 2019 12:59

Lucic will waive to be available for Seattle, who will need a couple boat anchor contracts to reach the floor. Then, after a few goodbye laps close to his hometown, he will become allergic to hockey tape and go on IR forever.

Looch is scared of being in a leadership role though. I don't think he will want to go to Seattle. He will force the flames to just buy him out if they want to avoid having to protect him.

Man would that be glorious if the flames bought him out. I think...forget what the cap implications would be for us. Don't think it's that bad.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: 3rd Round Pick in Lucic/Neal Trade [message #747705 is a reply to message #747699 ]
Mon, 25 November 2019 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

I wouldn't bet on Lucic scoring moe that 8 goals for the rest of his career. I think if Neal suffered a career ending injury tomorrow, the Oilers would still win the trade in terms of production.

This is fine.

Re: 3rd Round Pick in Lucic/Neal Trade [message #747706 is a reply to message #747704 ]
Mon, 25 November 2019 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

All Lucic needs to thrive is a 30+ year old captain. Then he can bring his brand of toughness, lack of scoring and regression of linemates in without any distractions.

Re: 3rd Round Pick in Lucic/Neal Trade [message #747707 is a reply to message #747706 ]
Mon, 25 November 2019 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Mon, 25 November 2019 13:10

All Lucic needs to thrive is a 30+ year old captain. Then he can bring his brand of toughness, lack of scoring and regression of linemates in without any distractions.

Hehe, maybe if Looch could be assured before being exposed that Seattle would be bringing in 5-6 30+ vets he could hide behind, he would do it.

If I'm Looch though, I go into this summer saying clearly to Trevling that I will not waive my NMC to be exposed in the draft, forcing the Flames to either buy him out, or risk losing a player infinitely better than Looch next summer. I think that's his best shot for a nice buyout payday and then he can try to sign back in Boston or something for 1M.

[Updated on: Mon, 25 November 2019 13:18]

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: 3rd Round Pick in Lucic/Neal Trade [message #747708 is a reply to message #747701 ]
Mon, 25 November 2019 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Don't you think Seattle will try to be like Vegas? They will want to be good right away.

Vegas didn't take any Lucic's. The bad contracts they did take were LTIR guys. Lucic doesn't get hurt so you'd have to play him.

Re: 3rd Round Pick in Lucic/Neal Trade [message #747710 is a reply to message #747708 ]
Mon, 25 November 2019 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 25 November 2019 13:17

Don't you think Seattle will try to be like Vegas? They will want to be good right away.

Vegas didn't take any Lucic's. The bad contracts they did take were LTIR guys. Lucic doesn't get hurt so you'd have to play him.

Nope I think Seattle will be AWFUL. Vegas was a fluke. Teams made some terrible decisions that won't be repeated and the Knights got incredibly lucky with several players they picked. We are going to be gifted 10 standings points a year for the foreseeable future.

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Oilers Qualify 3; Nurse, Slepychev, Strome
Next Topic:Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #71)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2019.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca