This day on July 22
Acquired: Kari Makkonen (1979) Greg Adams (1988) Bill Huard (1997)
Departed: Geoff Courtnall (1988) Shaun Van Allen (1993) Chris Ferraro (1999)

Happy Birthday To: TYDO, CamJan

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » LB on waivers
Switch to nested viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 LB on waivers [message #706570]
Sat, 06 January 2018 10:37 Go to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Edmonton Oilers @EdmontonOilers
The #Oilers have activated Al Montoya from Injured Reserve & placed Laurent Brossoit on waivers for the purpose of assignment to the @Condors.

Hope he's not picked up. And if he is, I blame MacT.

Those were actually good times. When MacT would trade anyone that called out the team for playing like garbage.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Send a private message to this user  

Re: LB on waivers [message #706572 is a reply to message #706570 ]
Sat, 06 January 2018 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skoobz  is currently offline Skoobz

1 Cup

I doubt anyone picks him up. He’s shown flashes but zero consistency. Actually, he has consistently shown that he is easily and predictably rattled.

I actually hope someone picks him up so he doesn’t take starts away from Ellis in Bakersfield.

"[It was] really cool to throw on the Oilers gear, the gear that I want to play the rest of my life wearing. It was pretty cool to put it on. With all the history, it was a lot of fun." - Connor McDavid, July 1, 2015

Re: LB on waivers [message #706575 is a reply to message #706572 ]
Sat, 06 January 2018 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan is currently online GabbyDugan

No Cups

Skoobz wrote on Sat, 06 January 2018 11:18

I actually hope someone picks him up so he doesn’t take starts away from Ellis in Bakersfield.

Eddie Pasquale has started and completed the last few games for Bakersfield..and seems to be doing quite well...

http://www.bakersfieldcondors.com/news/holtys-blog-a-numbers -game/

..." Eddie Pasquale earned his 100th win in the AHL last night with a 36-save shutout. He has stopped 70 of 71 shots on this trip.

– The Toronto native is also 4-1-2 in his last seven starts with a 1.96 and a .931 save percentage. Those are elite numbers."....

....not sure where Ellis fits in...maybe one of Broissoit, Ellis, or Pasquale gets loaned out to another AHL team or maybe one of them gets called up when the Oilers brain trust realize Montoya's besst before date is far in the rear view mirror....

Re: LB on waivers [message #706600 is a reply to message #706575 ]
Sat, 06 January 2018 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

4 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Sat, 06 January 2018 11:35

Eddie Pasquale has started and completed the last few games for Bakersfield..and seems to be doing quite well...

http://www.bakersfieldcondors.com/news/holtys-blog-a-numbers -game/

..." Eddie Pasquale earned his 100th win in the AHL last night with a 36-save shutout. He has stopped 70 of 71 shots on this trip.

– The Toronto native is also 4-1-2 in his last seven starts with a 1.96 and a .931 save percentage. Those are elite numbers."....

....not sure where Ellis fits in...maybe one of Broissoit, Ellis, or Pasquale gets loaned out to another AHL team or maybe one of them gets called up when the Oilers brain trust realize Montoya's besst before date is far in the rear view mirror....

It'll likely be Pasquale.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier

Re: LB on waivers [message #706648 is a reply to message #706570 ]
Sun, 07 January 2018 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

LB cleared

Edmonton Oilers @EdmontonOilers
Laurent Brossoit clears waivers, #Oilers assign him to @Condors.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: LB on waivers [message #706684 is a reply to message #706648 ]
Sun, 07 January 2018 17:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
halfafrog  is currently offline halfafrog

1 Cup

PC makes me scratch my head. Of all the moves this organization needed, that was about 273rd on my list. Skating like sloths...adding team speed would have been at the top. Or some sort of change in team chemistry. I’ve heard all sorts of rumors way down here (Arizona). Not sure what is true but it seems like there is a chemistry issue. Speed issue and D issue. Back up goaltending wasn’t on the radar for me.

So this is what hope feels like?

Re: LB on waivers [message #706715 is a reply to message #706684 ]
Mon, 08 January 2018 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

2 Cups

halfafrog wrote on Sun, 07 January 2018 17:10

PC makes me scratch my head. Of all the moves this organization needed, that was about 273rd on my list. Skating like sloths...adding team speed would have been at the top. Or some sort of change in team chemistry. I’ve heard all sorts of rumors way down here (Arizona). Not sure what is true but it seems like there is a chemistry issue. Speed issue and D issue. Back up goaltending wasn’t on the radar for me.

At this point, playoffs are basically out of the question but technically they have a chance. They just have to win a ton of game. So if that is the case, do you expect Talbot to play every game for the rest of the year? In my opinion that isn't realistic. LB was given the back up job and he wasn't good enough, not even close. He was terrible.

Re: LB on waivers [message #706816 is a reply to message #706715 ]
Tue, 09 January 2018 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
messier11  is currently offline messier11

No Cups

I'm not giving up on LB, goalies are late bloomers and the best place for him to be is starting a majority of the games in the AHL.

Re: LB on waivers [message #706864 is a reply to message #706816 ]
Tue, 09 January 2018 18:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

messier11 wrote on Tue, 09 January 2018 13:04

I'm not giving up on LB, goalies are late bloomers and the best place for him to be is starting a majority of the games in the AHL.

I wouldn't put any money on that. I don't think he's going to get qualified this year. His next contract is almost certainly for less money and back to two-way. He's MAYBE got one more chance, and there's a good possibility it's not with the Oilers.

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks

Re: LB on waivers [message #706928 is a reply to message #706864 ]
Wed, 10 January 2018 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 09 January 2018 18:26

I wouldn't put any money on that. I don't think he's going to get qualified this year. His next contract is almost certainly for less money and back to two-way. He's MAYBE got one more chance, and there's a good possibility it's not with the Oilers.

I agree with you. For the Oilers, they brought in Montoya because LB couldn't do the job and Montoya is signed for next season at just over 1 mill with for a back up isn't too bad. So unless they somehow get rid of Montoya, there is not NHL spot for next season. Plus I don't see how the Oilers can go into next season rolling the dice on LB as the back up again. I said in another thread that I get why and agree with the Oilers thinking that it was time to see if LB could do it. He's old enough, he's been in the system long enough, he's got enough minors experience and at the AHL level he's proven to be a good starter in the AHL. So the next logic step for him was the NHL and the only way find out is to play. Unfortunately LB crashed and burned. So there isn't an NHL spot for him and any contract he would sign with the Oilers would be a 2 way deal and I don't think the Oilers would even sign him because they have Ellis who is a year younger and looking to be just as good at the AHL level.

For Brossoit going forward, I could see another team signing him to play in the AHL but I don't see him getting a one way deal. When you put up .886 save percentage and a 3.22 GA, those aren't NHL numbers so I can't see another team dying to sign him to a 1 way deal. They would want to see if he can do it first.

Re: LB on waivers [message #706934 is a reply to message #706928 ]
Wed, 10 January 2018 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 10 January 2018 09:06

I agree with you. For the Oilers, they brought in Montoya because LB couldn't do the job and Montoya is signed for next season at just over 1 mill with for a back up isn't too bad. So unless they somehow get rid of Montoya, there is not NHL spot for next season. Plus I don't see how the Oilers can go into next season rolling the dice on LB as the back up again. I said in another thread that I get why and agree with the Oilers thinking that it was time to see if LB could do it. He's old enough, he's been in the system long enough, he's got enough minors experience and at the AHL level he's proven to be a good starter in the AHL. So the next logic step for him was the NHL and the only way find out is to play. Unfortunately LB crashed and burned. So there isn't an NHL spot for him and any contract he would sign with the Oilers would be a 2 way deal and I don't think the Oilers would even sign him because they have Ellis who is a year younger and looking to be just as good at the AHL level.

For Brossoit going forward, I could see another team signing him to play in the AHL but I don't see him getting a one way deal. When you put up .886 save percentage and a 3.22 GA, those aren't NHL numbers so I can't see another team dying to sign him to a 1 way deal. They would want to see if he can do it first.

Well, he's never really proven himself in the AHL as any good either...but the rest I all agree with. The Oilers have drafted 5 goalies in the last 4 drafts. At some point they have to make decisions on whether those are guys they think they can develop, and then make room for them to play. Having a guy like Brossoit, who looks to be at best a tweener, just blocks the path for younger guys. He's done.

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks

Re: LB on waivers [message #706935 is a reply to message #706934 ]
Wed, 10 January 2018 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 10 January 2018 10:30

Well, he's never really proven himself in the AHL as any good either...but the rest I all agree with. The Oilers have drafted 5 goalies in the last 4 drafts. At some point they have to make decisions on whether those are guys they think they can develop, and then make room for them to play. Having a guy like Brossoit, who looks to be at best a tweener, just blocks the path for younger guys. He's done.

I disagree. He was decent as an AHL goaltender and, if given proper development and training, could turn himself into an NHL goalie. The problem is he's now gone a calendar year without playing hockey. The sabotaged his growth because the Oilers kept signing terrible back ups and had no plan when those back ups inevitably failed. It'll be interesting to see who plays the most games in Bakersfield for the rest of the season.

Peter Chiarelli, General Disappointment.

Drink wine, fall faster, and fly. Fly, baby, fly.

Re: LB on waivers [message #706936 is a reply to message #706935 ]
Wed, 10 January 2018 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

No Cups

Not sure what he ever did to prove himself capable other than being big. Even as an Oil King it was clear that his back up (Jarry) was the better goalie. When equipment changes are finally implemented he'll be even worse. I don't have a high opinion of Montoya but I still see him as an upgrade (a pointless one at this point but still an upgrade).

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: LB on waivers [message #706938 is a reply to message #706934 ]
Wed, 10 January 2018 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

You don't think he has proven to be a pretty good AHL goalies?
https://www.nhl.com/player/laurent-brossoit-8476316?stats=ca reer-r-ahl&season=20172018

First year as a starter he was 25-22-4, 2.56 GA, .918 save percentage.
Second year as a starter he was 18-9-3, 2.66 GA, .920 save percentage.

Bakersfield has been a pretty mediocre team for the last few years with not a ton of talent so when you are putting up .920 save percentages with not much in front of you, his numbers looked pretty good to me.

[Updated on: Wed, 10 January 2018 11:10]

Re: LB on waivers [message #706940 is a reply to message #706938 ]
Wed, 10 January 2018 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 10 January 2018 11:03

You don't think he has proven to be a pretty good AHL goalies?
https://www.nhl.com/player/laurent-brossoit-8476316?stats=ca reer-r-ahl&season=20172018

First year as a starter he was 25-22-4, 2.56 GA, .918 save percentage.
Second year as a starter he was 18-9-3, 2.66 GA, .920 save percentage.

Bakersfield has been a pretty mediocre team for the last few years with not a ton of talent so when you are putting up .920 save percentages with not much in front of you, his numbers looked pretty good to me.

Of course the Condors have been bad, they're an Oilers affiliate.

Oilers = bad
Oil Kings = last in the league
Condors = last in the division
Tulsa Oilers = 7 points out of the playoffs (I think, I don't know or care how the ECHL works)

I hope the Oilers buy the Spruce Grove Saints.

Re: LB on waivers [message #706942 is a reply to message #706940 ]
Wed, 10 January 2018 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

1 Cup

What the hell is wrong with this organization? Why is it plagued like this?

It's like the reverse Midas touch.

Re: LB on waivers [message #706943 is a reply to message #706942 ]
Wed, 10 January 2018 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

HamBlaster wrote on Wed, 10 January 2018 11:22

What the hell is wrong with this organization? Why is it plagued like this?

It's like the reverse Midas touch.

It's almost like they're set up to fail due to gross incompetence or something.

Re: LB on waivers [message #706946 is a reply to message #706940 ]
Wed, 10 January 2018 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 10 January 2018 11:15

Oilers = bad
Tulsa Oilers = 7 points out of the playoffs (I think, I don't know or care how the ECHL works)

....just for the record, the Tulsa Oilers are part of the St. Louis organization...the Oilers ECHL affiliate is The Wichita Thunder, and they are doing a bit better than Tulsa...8 points ahead of them....interesting that both ECHL teams are owned by Rodney Steven, Brandon Steven and Johnny Steven....

Re: LB on waivers [message #706947 is a reply to message #706946 ]
Wed, 10 January 2018 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Wed, 10 January 2018 12:33

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 10 January 2018 11:15

Oilers = bad

....just for the record, the Tulsa Oilers are part of the St. Louis organization...the Oilers ECHL affiliate is The Wichita Thunder, and they are doing a bit better than Tulsa...8 points ahead of them....interesting that both ECHL teams are owned by Rodney Steven, Brandon Steven and Johnny Steven....

I honestly had no idea. Thanks GD.

Re: LB on waivers [message #708017 is a reply to message #706572 ]
Sat, 27 January 2018 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

I doubt anyone picks him up. He’s shown flashes but zero consistency. Actually, he has consistently shown that he is easily and predictably rattled.

.....the Oilers are pretty clever....Broissoit has been getting all the starts for Bakersfield, so Ellis was sent to Wichita in the ECHL so that Broissoit can refine his skills without both Ellis and Pasquale looking over his shoulder...

...first results for Ellis in the ECHL.....

https://www.echl.com/stats/game-center/15484

Re: LB on waivers [message #708018 is a reply to message #708017 ]
Sat, 27 January 2018 23:31 Go to previous message

6 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Sat, 27 January 2018 23:23

.....the Oilers are pretty clever....Broissoit has been getting all the starts for Bakersfield, so Ellis was sent to Wichita in the ECHL so that Broissoit can refine his skills without both Ellis and Pasquale looking over his shoulder...

...first results for Ellis in the ECHL.....

https://www.echl.com/stats/game-center/15484

Holy heck, our ECHL team isn't terrible. Ignoring that game with 2 EN goals, they are actually a winning team.

Oilers and Condors on the other hand...

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Previous Topic:Happy Spacek/Tarnstrom day!
Next Topic:Oiler Defensemen Top 6 Rankings
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2018.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca