This day on May 9
None

Happy Birthday To: Alex Plante, Gregzky, noodles, mikeisthird, E-man the Oil Fan, foreveroil, darkknight

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson
Pages (16): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16]
Switch to nested viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #690590 is a reply to message #690573 ]
Sat, 08 April 2017 20:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

philly boy wrote on Sat, 08 April 2017 18:42

Adam wrote on Mon, 03 April 2017 10:59

OilMJMOil wrote on Mon, 03 April 2017 10:50

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 03 April 2017 10:45

Anyway, this is getting off topic. The Oilers are a better team with Larsson than Hall. Larsson filled a big void that was desperately needed. As much as I like Hall and I cheered for Hall, I have his jersey and his t-shirt in my closet right now. At the time of the trade I wasn't a huge fan because I didn't know much about Larsson but I see now that it was a trade that in my opinion was needed for a variety of reasons. If I am making up a skills competition team or an all star team then I take Hall over Larsson. Other than that, I can see the value in what Larsson brings over Hall to create a winning team.

If I could like, or vote for this post. I would. Adam's still butt hurt and seemingly won't acknowledge that the team is better with Larsson than Hall. Yes, there are other faces than just Larsson that have made the Oilers a better team without Hall, but it all started with that trade.

Oilers are a better team with Larsson than Hall.

I think we can do better than the juvenile insults that you might find on Calgary Puck.

The team is better this year, I fully acknowledge that. I just don't think that the Hall/Larsson trade was much of a catalyst for that, and I don't think that Chiarelli should get a lot of the credit for improvement that I think was for the most part a result of McDavid being awesome and the team being healthy.

If you want to give credit to Chiarelli, I think you should be talking about the Talbot trade, because I think he's been much more important to the team's success than Larsson.

And listen, I like Adam Larsson. I think he adds a nice dimension and he's a good player. I think straight up for Taylor Hall is a bad deal. It isn't incongruent that while we lost that deal, we can still be a better team because of everything else that's happened.

I object to the vilification of Hall, because A) I think it reflects badly on Oilers fans and B) because I think he's still a heck of a player and that people tend to associate players with team results after a while. I expect that at some point, he'll go to a better team and he'll suddenly look like a valuable contributor to a good team and (other than in Edmonton, where we like to marry ourselves to a narrative), you won't hear anyone complaining that he's not got the right personality, or he's not a good enough two-way player.

You should cheer for NJ.

I don't follow. I've suffered long enough cheering for a bad team, why would I switch to a worse one? I'd end up more bitter than Hall!

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #690630 is a reply to message #690590 ]
Sun, 09 April 2017 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gator21  is currently offline Gator21

No Cups

Adam wrote on Sat, 08 April 2017 20:38

philly boy wrote on Sat, 08 April 2017 18:42

Adam wrote on Mon, 03 April 2017 10:59

OilMJMOil wrote on Mon, 03 April 2017 10:50

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 03 April 2017 10:45

Anyway, this is getting off topic. The Oilers are a better team with Larsson than Hall. Larsson filled a big void that was desperately needed. As much as I like Hall and I cheered for Hall, I have his jersey and his t-shirt in my closet right now. At the time of the trade I wasn't a huge fan because I didn't know much about Larsson but I see now that it was a trade that in my opinion was needed for a variety of reasons. If I am making up a skills competition team or an all star team then I take Hall over Larsson. Other than that, I can see the value in what Larsson brings over Hall to create a winning team.

If I could like, or vote for this post. I would. Adam's still butt hurt and seemingly won't acknowledge that the team is better with Larsson than Hall. Yes, there are other faces than just Larsson that have made the Oilers a better team without Hall, but it all started with that trade.

Oilers are a better team with Larsson than Hall.

I think we can do better than the juvenile insults that you might find on Calgary Puck.

The team is better this year, I fully acknowledge that. I just don't think that the Hall/Larsson trade was much of a catalyst for that, and I don't think that Chiarelli should get a lot of the credit for improvement that I think was for the most part a result of McDavid being awesome and the team being healthy.

If you want to give credit to Chiarelli, I think you should be talking about the Talbot trade, because I think he's been much more important to the team's success than Larsson.

And listen, I like Adam Larsson. I think he adds a nice dimension and he's a good player. I think straight up for Taylor Hall is a bad deal. It isn't incongruent that while we lost that deal, we can still be a better team because of everything else that's happened.

I object to the vilification of Hall, because A) I think it reflects badly on Oilers fans and B) because I think he's still a heck of a player and that people tend to associate players with team results after a while. I expect that at some point, he'll go to a better team and he'll suddenly look like a valuable contributor to a good team and (other than in Edmonton, where we like to marry ourselves to a narrative), you won't hear anyone complaining that he's not got the right personality, or he's not a good enough two-way player.

You should cheer for NJ.

I don't follow. I've suffered long enough cheering for a bad team, why would I switch to a worse one? I'd end up more bitter than Hall!

I think the point he was trying to make was that since you're such a big Hall fan/apologist then go cheer for NJ.

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #690631 is a reply to message #673755 ]
Sun, 09 April 2017 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Could you imagine if fan forums existed in the dismantling of the Oilers in the late 80's and early 90's?

Would love to read through that and also to follow Calgary Puck at that time. I find this wildly entertaining. That'd be a whole new level.

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #690632 is a reply to message #690630 ]
Sun, 09 April 2017 14:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Gator21 wrote on Sun, 09 April 2017 12:58

I think the point he was trying to make was that since you're such a big Hall fan/apologist then go cheer for NJ.

Hmmm...now that doesn't really make any sense at all. If I was to cheer for Jersey, I would be happier about the Hall trade but less excited about the team's prospects. And the team wouldn't have McDavid...

I've considered your suggestion, but I've decided I'll stick with the Oilers...even if I don't always happily agree with everything management does. After all, I've already put decades in to the team...I'm going to have to see that one through.

Thanks for your suggestion. It's greatly appreciated.

[Updated on: Sun, 09 April 2017 15:40]

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #690633 is a reply to message #690632 ]
Sun, 09 April 2017 15:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Sunk cost fallacy at its finest.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #690634 is a reply to message #690631 ]
Sun, 09 April 2017 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Sun, 09 April 2017 13:40

Could you imagine if fan forums existed in the dismantling of the Oilers in the late 80's and early 90's?

Would love to read through that and also to follow Calgary Puck at that time. I find this wildly entertaining. That'd be a whole new level.

Would have been fun to taunt Pens fans about how not generational Lemieux was because he didn't have the same point totals as Gretzky at certain ages, didn't win X award by a certain time, and so on :)

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #690635 is a reply to message #690633 ]
Sun, 09 April 2017 15:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Sun, 09 April 2017 15:12

Ugh! I didn't even think about the cost! I'd have to invest in all new jerseys, tickets are cheaper, but the games are so far away...And they start too early anyhow.

I'm not sure those posters suggesting this put a whole lot of thought into the suggestion. It's looking like a worse idea the more we dig here.

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #690636 is a reply to message #690635 ]
Sun, 09 April 2017 16:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gator21  is currently offline Gator21

No Cups

Adam wrote on Sun, 09 April 2017 15:42

CrusaderPi wrote on Sun, 09 April 2017 15:12

Ugh! I didn't even think about the cost! I'd have to invest in all new jerseys, tickets are cheaper, but the games are so far away...And they start too early anyhow.

I'm not sure those posters suggesting this put a whole lot of thought into the suggestion. It's looking like a worse idea the more we dig here.

Not my suggestion, just clarified for you since you didn't seem to follow

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #692502 is a reply to message #690634 ]
Mon, 24 April 2017 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

For me, this series solidified why Chia made the trade. In a tight, every mistake will kill you, physical, defensive series Larsson was a tower of power out there. Game 6, chance to close out the series, on the road, your #1 dman is so sick he can't play the 3rd. Larsson steps up, plays over 26 mins. Has an assist on Drai's goal with a fantastic pass and shuts down the Sharks.

I don't think the Oilers win that series if the trade wasn't made and they had Hall and Demers like some people said. Larsson was an absolute shut down, nasty beast which was SOOO needed in this series. Something that Demers has never been or ever will be. Plus they don't have Lucic who's experience and leadership was huge.

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #692504 is a reply to message #692502 ]
Mon, 24 April 2017 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 24 April 2017 10:14

For me, this series solidified why Chia made the trade. In a tight, every mistake will kill you, physical, defensive series Larsson was a tower of power out there. Game 6, chance to close out the series, on the road, your #1 dman is so sick he can't play the 3rd. Larsson steps up, plays over 26 mins. Has an assist on Drai's goal with a fantastic pass and shuts down the Sharks.

I don't think the Oilers win that series if the trade wasn't made and they had Hall and Demers like some people said. Larsson was an absolute shut down, nasty beast which was SOOO needed in this series. Something that Demers has never been or ever will be. Plus they don't have Lucic who's experience and leadership was huge.

Chemistry in the locker room and on the ice (I love that our ~8.3M/season still developing top pair for the next half decade+ are really good friends). Getting players that suit the way your coach wants his team to play and are willing to buy in. Having players that can deal with different situations and different styles of play the opposition plays.

All factors that are very hard to create just with stats. Obviously those factors don't automatically win you games, you still need high end skill and game breakers and goaltending, etc... But they help a lot to maintain consistency with work ethic, comradery, positive energy in the room, creating an atmosphere that new players can come into and quickly get on board with to understand the expectations for them.

[Updated on: Mon, 24 April 2017 10:56]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #692509 is a reply to message #692504 ]
Mon, 24 April 2017 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 24 April 2017 10:27

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 24 April 2017 10:14

Chemistry in the locker room and on the ice (I love that our ~8.3M/season still developing top pair for the next half decade+ are really good friends). Getting players that suit the way your coach wants his team to play and are willing to buy in. Having players that can deal with different situations and different styles of play the opposition plays.

All factors that are very hard to create just with stats. Obviously those factors don't automatically win you games, you still need high end skill and game breakers and goaltending, etc... But they help a lot to maintain consistency with work ethic, comradery, positive energy in the room, creating an atmosphere that new players can come into and quickly get on board with to understand the expectations for them.

I agree. During the season, at times games can be a bit of a skills competition especially when it is a good team vs a lesser team. When the Oilers were crappy, there were games when it turned into a skills competition and they beat good "teams" in a track meet but as soon as a team play fundamental, team hockey, they Oilers got beat.

In the playoffs, its completely different hockey. It is usually tight checking, fundamental, team hockey. You have to play good team, defensive hockey. Lesser players elevate their games, offensive guys do things they normally don't do. They block shots, back check harder. Plus shut down, legit really good d pairings are GOLD, especially in the playoffs. With Larsson and the type of player he is and what he has done to elevate Klefbom, the Oilers have a legit really good pairing that pretty much every shift you know something good will happen. The teams that have those pairings usually go far. The Oilers had an exception top pairing in 06 and if Rollie doesn't get hurt, they win the cup but went to game 6 of the cup finals. In 2017, they don't have a pairing as good as the Pronger pairing but it's pretty damn good.

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #792555 is a reply to message #673755 ]
Tue, 05 October 2021 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Quote:

Sportsnet
@Sportsnet
NHL TRADE TREE

@Steve_Dangle looks back at one of the biggest trades in recent memory, the Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson swap between the @EdmontonOilers and @NJDevils + how the trade is still evolving today.

Full video Rightwards arrow https://sprtsnt.ca/3mtbsEH

Hahahahaha...From the Oilers perspective, this is a pretty short tree. The Oilers traded Hall for Larsson - infamously, the deal was one for one. Then we lost Larsson for nothing as a UFA, and so we're left with zilch from one of the best players to play for the Oilers in the post-dynasty era, despite trading him when he had plenty of term left on a relatively inexpensive deal.

It's hilarious that this is even an article. The Devils traded him for 3 prospects and a pick, and still have 3/4s of that group. It's almost like Sportsnet is just trying to enrage Oilers fans...

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #792557 is a reply to message #792555 ]
Tue, 05 October 2021 10:05 Go to previous message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 05 October 2021 09:51

Quote:

Sportsnet
@Sportsnet
NHL TRADE TREE

@Steve_Dangle looks back at one of the biggest trades in recent memory, the Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson swap between the @EdmontonOilers and @NJDevils + how the trade is still evolving today.

Full video Rightwards arrow https://sprtsnt.ca/3mtbsEH

Hahahahaha...From the Oilers perspective, this is a pretty short tree. The Oilers traded Hall for Larsson - infamously, the deal was one for one. Then we lost Larsson for nothing as a UFA, and so we're left with zilch from one of the best players to play for the Oilers in the post-dynasty era, despite trading him when he had plenty of term left on a relatively inexpensive deal.

It's hilarious that this is even an article. The Devils traded him for 3 prospects and a pick, and still have 3/4s of that group. It's almost like Sportsnet is just trying to enrage Oilers fans...

That's just a side story of the result.

The important result is that Chia is now a VP of hockey operations with St Louis and Shero is only a senior advisor, which is the job Chia had earlier with St Louis.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Pages (16): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16]  
Previous Topic:Tkachev ELC Ruled Ineligible
Next Topic:Larsson a Kraken
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca