This day on May 12
None

Happy Birthday To: left of center, Leopold_fan, cdnarcher, Oil_slick9416, addicted2oil

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Pregame: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #5)
Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to nested viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #5) [message #772934 is a reply to message #772876 ]
Wed, 20 January 2021 18:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Wed, 20 January 2021 12:17

PlusOne wrote on Wed, 20 January 2021 08:41

Given the defense has been pretty awful overall I think it is time to give Bouchard a try. I know it has only been 4 games but it isnt like most of our guys are about to turn a corner. The Oilers have 9 D on the roster and only Bouchard hasnt played a game. 5 of the 9 are what they are and it clearly isnt enough. 3 (Bear, Jones, and Lagesson) have hope for improvement. 2 of those were recently scratched and the 3rd had a decent game. That leaves Bouchard as the only option currently on the roster who gives me much hope to elevate the group in any meaningful way

I am willing to bet he is instantly out bet puck mover, something that has been terrible through 4 games.
While he is overly physical he is bigger than most and for a team with no heart and soul maybe he could bring some extra physicality.
I have only read and not really seen enough to speak on how his defensive game has evolved. I cant imagine it is horrible enough to bring down the squad now given how bad they have been.

It also isnt like he has been rushed. He is in his +3 year having a full year of AHL experience and 20+ games in Swedan. Every D drafted ahead of him and many others after from that draft are logging regular minutes and I cant see why he shouldn't be given a chance.

Not only that, but we just can't sit him in the pressbox all season on the practice squad. That's only going to hurt his development. He needs to play, so if he's the #9 guy and he's going to sit all season, then he should be in the AHL and call up some other schlub to take his place.

Either he's ready and he should be playing at least every other game, or he needs to go to the AHL and play big minutes there again. Given his age, I start to worry about it if he isn't ready here pretty soon though.

Excellent point. I would think if he isnt playing, and he isnt in the plans, by the start of Feb he will be sent to the AHL when it starts.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #5) [message #773001 is a reply to message #772931 ]
Wed, 20 January 2021 21:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Wed, 20 January 2021 17:56

jds308 wrote on Wed, 20 January 2021 10:55

PlusOne wrote on Wed, 20 January 2021 08:13

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 20 January 2021 10:07

I'm hoping that Neal is ready to do as I think they could really use him on the PP. Chiasson just doesn't have the finish like Neal and he's been set up a lot. I hope they come out flying and on the PP, shoot the damn puck.

I agree, Much like with my comments on Bouchard it isnt because I think Neal is a savior but he surely cant be worse than what has been happening and it isnt like Chiasson is about to turn a corner.

This team cant keep trotting out the same guys and expect improvements. If Neal isnt ready I would give JP the net front spot for a time.

I might even give Yamo a look there. Not a big dude, but he's tenacious and seems to be able to finish in close.

No doubt the other teams in the division have taken note of Montreal killing 7 PP's vs Edm the other night and will all be looking to duplicate. The Oilers are going to need to try something different. Scoring 5v5 for example.

Good idea.
I am always looking for a bigger body in front of the net. Always tougher for a goalie to find the puck if the PP is moving it well.
Putting that aside I would love to see Yamo given a shot. You are spot on with his style of play suiting that spot. I would add he might even draw some penalties as D-men seem to love crosschecking him out of the way and it looks bad when he is giving up 50 pounds

I think the mistake teams make is thinking that it's JUST the size that matters there though. The Oilers did that with Lucic, but the guy had maybe 3 tips in his entire time here and had a tonne of trouble corralling rebounds too. On the rare occasions he did score PPGs it was usually the short cross-crease pass that he tapped in.

The net front guy should be able to tip the puck though and needs to be able to battle and win rebounds. Horcoff did really well at picking up rebounds and cashing them in when he was playing PP in the Quinn/Renney/Krueger years. He wasn't a huge guy, much smaller than Lucic, but also much more impactful there.

Besides, the Oilers powerplay didn't really rely much on the screen last year but rather quick puck movement and one-timers. They were generally keeping the goalie moving. That's not to say they never had screens, but Draisaitl had 16 PPG to Klefbom's two and without going back and looking at tape, I'd hazard a guess there wasn't much of a screen on the majority of Draisaitl's goals.

In short, I think Yamamoto has the tenacity that he can play that role, even if he's a pretty small guy. I wouldn't mind seeing Puljujarvi there either if you want a big guy (although I don't know if he's great at fielding rebounds because I haven't seen him in that spot much).

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #5) [message #773016 is a reply to message #772888 ]
Thu, 21 January 2021 09:34 Go to previous message
MJ is currently online MJ

No Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Wed, 20 January 2021 11:18

I can’t be the only one who thinks betting the over (6.5 total goals) is like printing free money tonight can I?

Hope you didn't bet the house! Yesterday I was in full agreement with your statement, but this is why I don't dabble in sports gambling!

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:Oilers 2021 training camp roster
Next Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #5)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca