This day on March 19
Acquired: Bobby Allen (2002) Mike York (2002)
Departed: Sean Brown (2002) Rem Murray (2002) Tom Poti (2002)

Happy Birthday To: duffin06, JPro, burkesajoker, arc131, dumpNchase, RollercoasterRider, EpicallyFaithful

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts
Pages (4): [1  2  3  4  >  »]
Switch to nested viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #728856]
Thu, 24 January 2019 11:48 Go to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

Many articles are coming out blasting the Oilers for more than just Chiarelli. Let's collect them here.

1) 'We're getting taken advantage of': Oilers season ticket holders fed up as team flounders

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/edmonton-oilers-seas on-ticket-holders-1.4990685

Quote:

It's time to stop disappointing Oilers fans, Allan said.

"Promising and not following through — we've just had enough of it," he said. "We've been hearing this for 12 years. We sell the building out every night. We buy the merchandise. We're loud fans and we're passionate. And that's getting taken advantage of."

2) Connor McDavid deserves so much better

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/the-buzzer/the-buzzer-oilers-chiar elli-mcdavid-1.4990191

Quote:

Firing Chiarelli won't magically solve the Oilers' problems. With the exception of their improbable, post-lockout run to the Stanley Cup final in 2006, the Oilers have won one playoff series in this century. That's despite having the No. 1 overall draft pick four times since 2010. Billionaire Daryl Katz bought the team in the summer of '08 and is already moving onto his fourth GM. Until that guy is found, some of the job will be handled by assistant GM Keith Gretzky (you know his brother). That's a sad reminder of Edmonton's long-gone glory days.

3) Rot in the Edmonton Oilers structure goes much deeper than the GM

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/edmonton-oiler s/rot-in-the-edmonton-oilers-structure-goes-much-deeper-than -the-gm/wcm/3117d6df-1d7d-44b1-8b5d-d8c75079a58f

Quote:

After eight coaches and four general managers in the last 10 years, it’s obvious to everyone that the problems in this franchise runs much deeper than coach and GM. The rot in this structure is down to the foundation.

Can firing one person for the 10th time in 10 years really fix the problem? At what point are they just painting over rust?

4) Friedman 31 Thoughts

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-whats-next-o ilers-chiarelli-firing/

Quote:

For Edmonton, this is more than just a GM search. This is an audit, an investigation into every pore of the Oiler way... Nicholson made one immediate change in philosophy: more AHL time is coming for younger players. But why stop at that? The timing allows him the opportunity to talk to a wide swath of people. Information is powerful currency. Interview lots. Ask about best practices. Find what else is out there. There is plenty to discover.

Hopefully more to come.

Clean house or bust

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #728863 is a reply to message #728856 ]
Thu, 24 January 2019 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

I normally love his insight but I am quite disappointed with Friedman's take on the OBC in his 31 thoughts blog.

Quote:

I’m not buying the “old Oilers are interfering” narrative. Oh, they’ve got opinions, but how much did they really stand in the way of anything Edmonton did or didn’t do the past four seasons? I’m not convinced it happened often, if at all. And it will be important for the organization to line up in support of Nicholson during this search, rather than splintering into separate fiefdoms.

I listened to the podcast today as well. He says he thinks that they just give their opinions and don't interfere, and the decisions aren't up to the old guard. He says where is the evidence that they do have decision power?

My problems with that:

1) The clear cut evidence is this: MacTavish is currently Senior VP of Hockey Ops, Lowe's son is the captain of the Condors, Paul Coffey was decided to be the best hire as skills coach, and Scott Howson has rejoined the team an a player development role under Chiarelli. If it isn't interfering, the influence is still strong. Who knows what else they have had influence on, even if they don't have decision power.

2) The main problem is NOT if they have decision power or not. It's that they are in the conversations at all. Quite frankly, the group of men responsible for the 2006-2015 Oilers pre-Chiarelli should not have any say at all, and just shouldn't be employed. This is not that difficult to understand, and I think media often has a short term memory as if things get reset when a new GM takes over. No. Their failures when they were in direct control are not erased.

[Updated on: Thu, 24 January 2019 13:50]

Clean house or bust

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #728866 is a reply to message #728863 ]
Thu, 24 January 2019 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Thu, 24 January 2019 13:47

I normally love his insight but I am quite disappointed with Friedman's take on the OBC in his 31 thoughts blog.

Quote:

I’m not buying the “old Oilers are interfering” narrative. Oh, they’ve got opinions, but how much did they really stand in the way of anything Edmonton did or didn’t do the past four seasons? I’m not convinced it happened often, if at all. And it will be important for the organization to line up in support of Nicholson during this search, rather than splintering into separate fiefdoms.

I listened to the podcast today as well. He says he thinks that they just give their opinions and don't interfere, and the decisions aren't up to the old guard. He says where is the evidence that they do have decision power?

My problems with that:

1) The clear cut evidence is this: MacTavish is currently Senior VP of Hockey Ops, Lowe's son is the captain of the Condors, Paul Coffey was decided to be the best hire as skills coach, and Scott Howson has rejoined the team an a player development role under Chiarelli. If it isn't interfering, the influence is still strong. Who knows what else they have had influence on, even if they don't have decision power.

2) The main problem is NOT if they have decision power or not. It's that they are in the conversations at all. Quite frankly, the group of men responsible for the 2006-2015 Oilers pre-Chiarelli should not have any say at all, and just shouldn't be employed. This is not that difficult to understand, and I think media often has a short term memory as if things get reset when a new GM takes over. No. Their failures when they were in direct control are not erased.

Just heard young Willis insist that the OBC influence is overblown as well. I'm sure we'll be hearing lots of that from the mainstream guys as well. They're all still here, but you're just paranoid if you think they have any influence, get over it you overreacting fans!

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #728870 is a reply to message #728866 ]
Thu, 24 January 2019 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 24 January 2019 15:03

Quote:

My problems with that:

Just heard young Willis insist that the OBC influence is overblown as well. I'm sure we'll be hearing lots of that from the mainstream guys as well. They're all still here, but you're just paranoid if you think they have any influence, get over it you overreacting fans!

Lowe is VERY important to the Oilers Entertainment Group. He’s been an integral part in acquiring and developing the real estate around Rogers. His Realty expertise is next to none, I mean look at his website!! https://www.agentklowe.com

MacT’s experience on the ice, behind the bench, and in THE chair makes him irreplaceable. He plays a dynamic role in assisting Bill Scott, giving him pointers on how to manage the cap using his EMBA. His EMBA also comes in handy in assisting Kevin Lowe in the real estate side of the OEG. With his past, he is able to provide advice throughout all levels of hockey ops and he is VERY good at only providing his opinions when asked, as he has a lot on his plate managing the Merch side of OEG.

Howson plays a role in assisting Craig as well as being the pigeon carrier between Woodcroft and Chiare... Keith. He’s the closest of the OBC to hockey ops, however as he wasn’t an Oiler player Bob deems it acceptable.

Wayne provides wine, as well as a voice on Katz shoulder. FYI, Wayne has kept Katz calm through the years. Without Wayne, and Katz own ‘prescriptions’, Katz would have snapped and fired everyone years ago.

As for Keegan, he grew up with a father who has an impressively large collection of rings and has witnessed first hand many a banner raisings, including the Lowe 4 banner hanging in his family homes foyer. From a young age, he learned a thing about winning, if that was ever a concern.

... okay back to reality.

It won’t be a quick fix. It doesn’t matter who they bring in. Chiarelli hindered us for next season with what is left on the cap. Buyouts won’t help much. It’s at the point where if you can’t move Spooner and Manning for a 7th... you have to just hold them and ride out their contracts. It sucks... but next season were in for much of the same as this year. Sigh. Big *bleeping* sigh.

Best of luck to Keith. I need a break from this team, I’ve sworn off watching them for the remainder of the month. icon_biggrin

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #728882 is a reply to message #728866 ]
Thu, 24 January 2019 15:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 24 January 2019 14:03

Quote:

My problems with that:

Lowe and MacTavish remain sources to this day for all kinds of media guys. That affords them some protection.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #728893 is a reply to message #728882 ]
Thu, 24 January 2019 16:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 24 January 2019 15:05

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 24 January 2019 14:03

Quote:

My problems with that:

Lowe and MacTavish remain sources to this day for all kinds of media guys. That affords them some protection.

...and reason number 1 and 2 why things will not change no matter who you bring in.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #728901 is a reply to message #728870 ]
Thu, 24 January 2019 19:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Oscargasm wrote on Thu, 24 January 2019 14:34

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 24 January 2019 15:03

Quote:

My problems with that:

Lowe is VERY important to the Oilers Entertainment Group. He’s been an integral part in acquiring and developing the real estate around Rogers. His Realty expertise is next to none, I mean look at his website!! https://www.agentklowe.com

MacT’s experience on the ice, behind the bench, and in THE chair makes him irreplaceable. He plays a dynamic role in assisting Bill Scott, giving him pointers on how to manage the cap using his EMBA. His EMBA also comes in handy in assisting Kevin Lowe in the real estate side of the OEG. With his past, he is able to provide advice throughout all levels of hockey ops and he is VERY good at only providing his opinions when asked, as he has a lot on his plate managing the Merch side of OEG.

Howson plays a role in assisting Craig as well as being the pigeon carrier between Woodcroft and Chiare... Keith. He’s the closest of the OBC to hockey ops, however as he wasn’t an Oiler player Bob deems it acceptable.

Wayne provides wine, as well as a voice on Katz shoulder. FYI, Wayne has kept Katz calm through the years. Without Wayne, and Katz own ‘prescriptions’, Katz would have snapped and fired everyone years ago.

As for Keegan, he grew up with a father who has an impressively large collection of rings and has witnessed first hand many a banner raisings, including the Lowe 4 banner hanging in his family homes foyer. From a young age, he learned a thing about winning, if that was ever a concern.

... okay back to reality.

It won’t be a quick fix. It doesn’t matter who they bring in. Chiarelli hindered us for next season with what is left on the cap. Buyouts won’t help much. It’s at the point where if you can’t move Spooner and Manning for a 7th... you have to just hold them and ride out their contracts. It sucks... but next season were in for much of the same as this year. Sigh. Big *bleeping* sigh.

Best of luck to Keith. I need a break from this team, I’ve sworn off watching them for the remainder of the month. icon_biggrin

This is really the question. If all of these former players are totally uninvolved in hockey ops, why are they employed? I don’t see the skill sets beyond hockey ops. Well actually I don’t even see that skill set.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #729908 is a reply to message #728856 ]
Wed, 06 February 2019 20:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

So not Chiarelli related, but the dude that complained about the lack of doughnuts during the Eakins era had this to say on twitter;

Terry Jones @byterryjones I think Oilers owner Daryl Katz should reduce the price of a beer from double figures to maybe five bucks so Oilers fans can numb their pain for the rest of the season.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #729909 is a reply to message #729908 ]
Wed, 06 February 2019 20:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
welcometotheOC  is currently offline welcometotheOC

No Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 06 February 2019 20:52

So not Chiarelli related, but the dude that complained about the lack of doughnuts during the Eakins era had this to say on twitter;

Terry Jones @byterryjones I think Oilers owner Daryl Katz should reduce the price of a beer from double figures to maybe five bucks so Oilers fans can numb their pain for the rest of the season.

And you're complaining?!?!? I think that is an excellent suggestion!!

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #729910 is a reply to message #729909 ]
Wed, 06 February 2019 21:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

welcometotheOC wrote on Wed, 06 February 2019 21:58

And you're complaining?!?!? I think that is an excellent suggestion!!

Oh no, sorry. I just find it hilarious!

As if Katz cares about what us fans think.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #729911 is a reply to message #729908 ]
Wed, 06 February 2019 21:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Has anyone fallen down the super steep stairs on the 2nd level yet? Someone needs to get to it already, maybe this would help.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #729912 is a reply to message #729911 ]
Wed, 06 February 2019 21:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 06 February 2019 21:34

Has anyone fallen down the super steep stairs on the 2nd level yet? Someone needs to get to it already, maybe this would help.

Even worse is trying to get to your seat passing people who refuse to stand up and give you room to walk by.

"Let me shuffle my legs an inch sideways so you can have 2 full inches of space to get by." You'll fall 100 feet if you slip the wrong way

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #729919 is a reply to message #729912 ]
Thu, 07 February 2019 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

NetBOG wrote on Wed, 06 February 2019 21:58

Even worse is trying to get to your seat passing people who refuse to stand up and give you room to walk by.

"Let me shuffle my legs an inch sideways so you can have 2 full inches of space to get by." You'll fall 100 feet if you slip the wrong way

They are fairly steep aren't they? My mother in law refuses those seats because she is convinced she is going to fall head over heels and wind up in a home. There isn't much to break your fall for sure.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #730264 is a reply to message #728856 ]
Mon, 11 February 2019 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

smyth260 wrote on Thu, 24 January 2019 11:48

Many articles are coming out blasting the Oilers for more than just Chiarelli. Let's collect them here.

1) 'We're getting taken advantage of': Oilers season ticket holders fed up as team flounders

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/edmonton-oilers-seas on-ticket-holders-1.4990685

Quote:

"Promising and not following through — we've just had enough of it," he said. "We've been hearing this for 12 years. We sell the building out every night. We buy the merchandise. We're loud fans and we're passionate. And that's getting taken advantage of."

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/the-buzzer/the-buzzer-oilers-chiar elli-mcdavid-1.4990191

Quote:

Firing Chiarelli won't magically solve the Oilers' problems. With the exception of their improbable, post-lockout run to the Stanley Cup final in 2006, the Oilers have won one playoff series in this century. That's despite having the No. 1 overall draft pick four times since 2010. Billionaire Daryl Katz bought the team in the summer of '08 and is already moving onto his fourth GM. Until that guy is found, some of the job will be handled by assistant GM Keith Gretzky (you know his brother). That's a sad reminder of Edmonton's long-gone glory days.

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/edmonton-oiler s/rot-in-the-edmonton-oilers-structure-goes-much-deeper-than -the-gm/wcm/3117d6df-1d7d-44b1-8b5d-d8c75079a58f

Quote:

After eight coaches and four general managers in the last 10 years, it’s obvious to everyone that the problems in this franchise runs much deeper than coach and GM. The rot in this structure is down to the foundation.

Can firing one person for the 10th time in 10 years really fix the problem? At what point are they just painting over rust?

4) Friedman 31 Thoughts

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-whats-next-o ilers-chiarelli-firing/

Quote:

For Edmonton, this is more than just a GM search. This is an audit, an investigation into every pore of the Oiler way... Nicholson made one immediate change in philosophy: more AHL time is coming for younger players. But why stop at that? The timing allows him the opportunity to talk to a wide swath of people. Information is powerful currency. Interview lots. Ask about best practices. Find what else is out there. There is plenty to discover.

Hopefully more to come.

https://www.tsn.ca/the-oilers-are-squandering-mcdavid-s-exce llence-1.1255904

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #730266 is a reply to message #730264 ]
Mon, 11 February 2019 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Mon, 11 February 2019 14:01

smyth260 wrote on Thu, 24 January 2019 11:48

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

4) Friedman 31 Thoughts

Quote:

Hopefully more to come.

https://www.tsn.ca/the-oilers-are-squandering-mcdavid-s-exce llence-1.1255904

ugh

https://tsnimages.tsn.ca/ImageProvider/AssetImage?seoId=travis-yost&width=165

Like we need Yost to tell us what we already know :)

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #730309 is a reply to message #729919 ]
Mon, 11 February 2019 22:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

No Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Thu, 07 February 2019 09:55

NetBOG wrote on Wed, 06 February 2019 21:58

They are fairly steep aren't they? My mother in law refuses those seats because she is convinced she is going to fall head over heels and wind up in a home. There isn't much to break your fall for sure.

If it any steeper than other modern arenas though? I think Rexall was the exception, it seems the trend over the past couple decades is for the second bowl to be quite steep (probably to get the seats closer to the ice surface).

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #730384 is a reply to message #730266 ]
Tue, 12 February 2019 16:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jay  is currently offline Jay

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 11 February 2019 14:08

4) Friedman 31 Thoughts

Quote:

Ooohhhh I hadn't realized this was an audit. I wonder if it's an audit of the forensic audit or just your standard run of the mill investigation into every pore?

That changes everything. I'm sure burgers will get it all sorted out stat. Great intel Friedman.

I know Friedman is one of those media guys most people sort of like, but he really is just as full of it as the rest of the sports journalists and talking heads. I'm convinced that as a profession its tough to beat "sports journalism" for the largest collection of dumb, entitled, self important tools who contribute nothing to society. Literally the whole job is to repeat the same narratives over and over, do zero actual research or work and then pat each other on the back. That's it. Why they still exist is beyond me.

"Initiative comes to thems that wait"

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #730399 is a reply to message #730384 ]
Tue, 12 February 2019 19:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

Jay wrote on Tue, 12 February 2019 15:11

4) Friedman 31 Thoughts

Quote:

Ooohhhh I hadn't realized this was an audit. I wonder if it's an audit of the forensic audit or just your standard run of the mill investigation into every pore?

That changes everything. I'm sure burgers will get it all sorted out stat. Great intel Friedman.

I know Friedman is one of those media guys most people sort of like, but he really is just as full of it as the rest of the sports journalists and talking heads. I'm convinced that as a profession its tough to beat "sports journalism" for the largest collection of dumb, entitled, self important tools who contribute nothing to society. Literally the whole job is to repeat the same narratives over and over, do zero actual research or work and then pat each other on the back. That's it. Why they still exist is beyond me.

How many more audits do we have to go through before the team is good? Cause rebuilds don’t seem to work.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #730411 is a reply to message #730399 ]
Tue, 12 February 2019 22:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

nullterm wrote on Tue, 12 February 2019 19:51

4) Friedman 31 Thoughts

Quote:

How many more audits do we have to go through before the team is good? Cause rebuilds don’t seem to work.

Just one done right.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #730424 is a reply to message #730411 ]
Wed, 13 February 2019 05:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Maybe this is a real audit instead of the forensic audit they did last year.

“A forensic audit is an examination and evaluation of a firm's or individual's financial information for use as evidence in court. A forensic audit can be conducted in order to prosecute a party for fraud, embezzlement or other financial claims.”

The found out Chiarelli was a fraud. Mission accomplished. Now onto the the rest of the team.

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #730445 is a reply to message #730411 ]
Wed, 13 February 2019 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jay  is currently offline Jay

No Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 12 February 2019 22:33

nullterm wrote on Tue, 12 February 2019 19:51

4) Friedman 31 Thoughts

Quote:

Just one done right.

Seriously this isn't rocket science.

Want to know how to fix it?? I can tell you.
Go the Castanza route.

If every instinct you have is wrong, then the opposite would have to be right.

If burgers were to start applying this organizational philosophy to every decision he makes from now on I could see multiple Stanleys coming to Edmonton very soon.

"Initiative comes to thems that wait"

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #730492 is a reply to message #728856 ]
Wed, 13 February 2019 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Interesting note in 31 thoughts this week.

Quote:

With Ken Hitchcock watching practice from the seats one day and then blasting the Oilers’ effort following Saturday’s 5–2 loss to San Jose, that there were rumours he’d had enough and would step down. That obviously didn’t happen, but it underlines how tense things are in Edmonton.

Would have been awesome/sad to see a coach resign just out of hopelessness. I am sure the media would have found a way to spin it on a Chiarelli built roster while ignoring everything else wrong in management.

Clean house or bust

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #730493 is a reply to message #730492 ]
Wed, 13 February 2019 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Wed, 13 February 2019 13:53

Interesting note in 31 thoughts this week.

Quote:

With Ken Hitchcock watching practice from the seats one day and then blasting the Oilers’ effort following Saturday’s 5–2 loss to San Jose, that there were rumours he’d had enough and would step down. That obviously didn’t happen, but it underlines how tense things are in Edmonton.

Would have been awesome/sad to see a coach resign just out of hopelessness. I am sure the media would have found a way to spin it on a Chiarelli built roster while ignoring everything else wrong in management.

Funny to consider that this may be the most unbalanced garbage roster Hitch has ever coached, considering he coached Columbus. But really. From the upper-middle of the lineup down. So much dead weight. It's nuts that Nicholson sat back watching this get built, maxing out the cap, and we are trusting him to fix it.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #730495 is a reply to message #730493 ]
Wed, 13 February 2019 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 13 February 2019 16:59

It's nuts that Nicholson sat back watching this get built, maxing out the cap, and we are trusting him to fix it.

He sounds like a world class buffoon. Someone who just happened to be at the right place at the right time some years ago and been reaping the rewards ever since. If we our pinning our hopes on old Bob to get us out of this, we are utterly f'ed.

[Updated on: Wed, 13 February 2019 14:08]

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #730496 is a reply to message #730495 ]
Wed, 13 February 2019 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Wed, 13 February 2019 14:04

It's nuts that Nicholson sat back watching this get built, maxing out the cap, and we are trusting him to fix it.

He sounds like a world class buffoon. Someone who just happened to be at the right place at the right time some years ago and been reaping the rewards ever since. If we our pinning our hopes on old Bob to get us out of this, we are utterly f'ed.

If we already know the answer, why are we asking the question?

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #730497 is a reply to message #730496 ]
Wed, 13 February 2019 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 13 February 2019 14:09

Mike wrote on Wed, 13 February 2019 14:04

If we already know the answer, why are we asking the question?

All he's really good for are his connections. ANd unfortunately, his connections landed us with Chia.

The only connection he has of value would probably be Yzerman now, who we have zero shot of getting.

So, now it's just Nicholson out in the wild having to make a judgement call on who best fits the oilers culture.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #730498 is a reply to message #730497 ]
Wed, 13 February 2019 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 13 February 2019 14:13

So, now it's just Nicholson out in the wild having to make a judgement call on who best fits the oilers culture.

The Oilers' culture is what we're stuck with right now, so if he finds someone who best fits it, it will just be more of the same on the ice and in the boardroom.

Time for a top down "debuild"!

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

"...the Oilers have been rebuilding for so long that it’s hard not to be cynical." - NBC's Ryan Dadoun Jan 2, 2015

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #730499 is a reply to message #730498 ]
Wed, 13 February 2019 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

stemhovlichski wrote on Wed, 13 February 2019 14:27

The Oilers' culture is what we're stuck with right now, so if he finds someone who best fits it, it will just be more of the same on the ice and in the boardroom.

Indeed. I was just using his words on finding the right person to fit the culture :)

We're seriously so screwed.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #730500 is a reply to message #730499 ]
Wed, 13 February 2019 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 13 February 2019 14:28

Indeed. I was just using his words on finding the right person to fit the culture :)

I can't wait for all the pomp and ceremony that surrounds the new GM being hired followed closely by Oilers PR (the vaunted Edmonton sports mainstream media) selling hype and hope.

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #730502 is a reply to message #730500 ]
Wed, 13 February 2019 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 13 February 2019 14:34

I can't wait for all the pomp and ceremony that surrounds the new GM being hired followed closely by Oilers PR (the vaunted Edmonton sports mainstream media) selling hype and hope.

I still believe that we're going to hear Nicholson say the following:

"While we interviewed several great candidates, we were really impressed by the work that Keith Gretzky did for us at the deadline. He's really paid his dues and we thought we owed him the chance to continue on in that role. Also, he got a pretty glowing recommendation from the greatest hockey player of all-time! *tone deaf laughter at his own 'joke'*

With no further ado, I'm thrilled to introduce to you the new non-interim GM of the Edmonton Oilers, Keith Gretzky!"

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #730506 is a reply to message #730502 ]
Wed, 13 February 2019 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 13 February 2019 15:47

"While we interviewed several great candidates, we were really impressed by the work that Keith Gretzky did for us at the deadline. He's really paid his dues and we thought we owed him the chance to continue on in that role. Also, he got a pretty glowing recommendation from the greatest hockey player of all-time! *tone deaf laughter at his own 'joke'*

With no further ado, I'm thrilled to introduce to you the new non-interim GM of the Edmonton Oilers, Keith Gretzky!"

Ugh. You could very well be right. Why you do this?

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #730508 is a reply to message #730502 ]
Wed, 13 February 2019 14:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 13 February 2019 14:47

I assume it would make perfect sense then to make Wayne the POHO!

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #730509 is a reply to message #730506 ]
Wed, 13 February 2019 14:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 13 February 2019 14:52

Adam wrote on Wed, 13 February 2019 15:47

Ugh. You could very well be right. Why you do this?

Adam learns from the past. Trust what has happened, not what they say will happen.

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #731142 is a reply to message #728856 ]
Tue, 19 February 2019 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

Pretty solid interview here by CBC's Mark Connolly with Bobby Nicks.

https://www.cbc.ca/listen/shows/edmonton-am/segment/15671238

Some highlights:
- Nicholson went back to the idea that the expectations after the playoff run were just too high. Man, that's such a dumb excuse.
- Said Koskinen has played well the past few games. News to me.
-Nicholson said that Chia decided to use analytics, "some, but not as much". That makes sense, you don't build a tough, hard to play against team that can't score or defend using spreadsheets.
- Connolly called him out on the Chia hire and basically forced him to say it was a mistake and that their hiring process was garbage.
- Connolly asked him about empty seats and if that was a concern, and if his job was on the line.

I feel like we won't hear Nicholson doing a ton of interviews going forward here.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #731143 is a reply to message #731142 ]
Tue, 19 February 2019 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

No Cups

Goose wrote on Tue, 19 February 2019 13:23

Some highlights:
- Nicholson went back to the idea that the expectations after the playoff run were just too high. Man, that's such a dumb excuse.
-Nicholson said that Chia decided to use analytics, "some, but not as much". That makes sense, you don't build a tough, hard to play against team that can't score or defend using spreadsheets.
- Connolly called him out on the Chia hire and basically forced him to say it was a mistake and that their hiring process was garbage.
- Connolly asked him about empty seats and if that was a concern, and if his job was on the line.

I feel like we won't hear Nicholson doing a ton of interviews going forward here.

I'm sure Matheson, Spector, and Jones have the softball questions ready for his end of the year exit interview.

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #731148 is a reply to message #731142 ]
Tue, 19 February 2019 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Goose wrote on Tue, 19 February 2019 13:23

Some highlights:

It's funny how he sounds progressively dumber to me every time I hear him. Maybe this job is actually melting his brain and it's not just my perception.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #731151 is a reply to message #731142 ]
Tue, 19 February 2019 15:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

No Cups

Goose wrote on Tue, 19 February 2019 16:23

Some highlights:

A couple of other points that concerned me:

1. When listing the good players the Oilers have he mentioned McDavid, Drai, and "a couple of defencemen." Poor Nuge just gets no love. REALLY hope management doesn't see him as expendable.

2. Said the grand total number of people interviewed for the GM position since Sather left was one. ONE!!! doh

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #731154 is a reply to message #731151 ]
Tue, 19 February 2019 15:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Tue, 19 February 2019 16:05

Some highlights:

1. When listing the good players the Oilers have he mentioned McDavid, Drai, and "a couple of defencemen." Poor Nuge just gets no love. REALLY hope management doesn't see him as expendable.

2. Said the grand total number of people interviewed for the GM position since Sather left was one. ONE!!! doh

1- Oh dear. Cap space here we come....... icon_dead

2- Tambellini? So they didn’t interview Lowe, MacT, or Chia? Holy cow.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #731159 is a reply to message #731154 ]
Tue, 19 February 2019 15:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 19 February 2019 14:30

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Tue, 19 February 2019 16:05

Some highlights:

1- Oh dear. Cap space here we come....... icon_dead

2- Tambellini? So they didn’t interview Lowe, MacT, or Chia? Holy cow.

1 - I'm scared. : (

2 - Does it really matter if they interview people if the people running the process have no idea what to look for (and what to avoid)?

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #731175 is a reply to message #731151 ]
Tue, 19 February 2019 18:01 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Slim Jim Phantom Call  is currently offline Slim Jim Phantom Call

No Cups

Im beginning to wonder whats being put in ol Bobbys water. Dude has no clue.
Slobby freakin Nicks to the rescue
doh

In fairness to Hall, I've wanted to throw a waterbottle at Eakins all season.
~nullterm 03/22/2014

Pages (4): [1  2  3  4  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Jujhar Khaira extension - 2 years 1.2M AAV
Next Topic:Yep, Talbot for Stolarz
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca