Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Worst of the Worst
Switch to flat viewSwitch to nested viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Worst of the Worst [message #799190 is a reply to message #799187 ]
Mon, 07 February 2022 16:03 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

oilfan94 wrote on Mon, 07 February 2022 15:31

I think another interesting thing to analyze would be other teams with historically or at least very bad stretches, but were able to become competitive again consistently, and what it took for that to happen. Somehow I feel like the answer is probably a change in ownership in many cases.

This checks out to a point, although it doesn't always happen overnight.

Chicago was bad at the end of the Dollar Bill Wirtz era. Bill dies, the team immediately changes tack and does much better (although undoubtedly helped by the infusion of talent from being bad for a while.

Lemieux and friends took over a hapless Penguins organization while Ted Leonsis took over Washington in 1999. Both had some lean years yet, but they definitely have headed in the right direction since.

Florida's clearly benefitted from their last ownership change, and it's hard to argue that Carolina isn't seeing some good results too.

That makes some sense. Your ownership is the guy hiring the GM or POHO and setting the tone. He's the one who's deciding just how much rope a management team has - which is not an easy question. If someone is bad at their job, the sooner you replace them the better. But not every competent GM or coach is going to immediately be successful so if you're too knee-jerk, you could fire someone who is doing the right things simply because the results have yet to follow.

I think Katz has struggled as Oilers owner. It's been a pretty tough period of his life. He bought the team in 2008 - just as it was going in to a pronounced slump. He was buddies with MacTavish and Lowe and very defensive of them as they took significant criticism in those years. That just brought scorn down on him from the client base, and I don't think Katz is a guy who takes being mocked and criticized well. The arena wrangling didn't help. He moved away from Edmonton, got some other interests including movie-making, and then had the whole casting couch thing with the scammer blow up in his lap. Any time you're making it on to TMZ with personal life things, that's not good. I do not doubt that that caused him some level of marital stress. Then he got sick with a weird disease that ate a bunch of his face. I think it's fair to say in the last 7-8 years, he's almost been an absent owner. I don't think he's had his finger on the pulse for ages, and unfortunately, the guys who he leans on in his stead are all awful.

I don't think Katz is going anywhere. I don't think there's any buyer in Edmonton who's willing to spend what it would take to get the company and then to keep it here, so we're stuck with him. Hopefully he decides at some point that he doesn't like his toy broken all the time and decides to make some changes and possibly leans on someone - other than Kevin Lowe with his old Team Canada rolodex or Bob Nicholson just bumbling around hoping a solution falls in his lap - to find the next solution.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Send a private message to this user  

Read Message Worst of the Worst
By: Adam on Mon, 07 February 2022 10:45
Read Message Re: Worst of the Worst
By: Adam on Mon, 07 February 2022 12:43
By: Dragon_Matt on Mon, 07 February 2022 13:04
By: Adam on Mon, 07 February 2022 15:23
By: oilfan94 on Mon, 07 February 2022 15:31
By: Adam on Mon, 07 February 2022 16:03
By: Mike on Tue, 08 February 2022 07:15
By: CrusaderPi on Tue, 08 February 2022 12:07
By: Kr55 on Tue, 08 February 2022 12:10
By: Adam on Tue, 08 February 2022 14:10
By: nullterm on Tue, 08 February 2022 14:58
By: CrusaderPi on Tue, 08 February 2022 15:31
By: Kr55 on Tue, 08 February 2022 18:25
By: Mike on Wed, 09 February 2022 05:23
By: Rocksteady on Wed, 09 February 2022 08:50
By: Mike on Wed, 09 February 2022 08:57
By: Rocksteady on Wed, 09 February 2022 09:04
By: Adam on Wed, 09 February 2022 09:19
By: CrudeRemarks on Wed, 09 February 2022 09:30
By: CrusaderPi on Wed, 09 February 2022 09:32
By: CrudeRemarks on Wed, 09 February 2022 09:39
By: CrusaderPi on Wed, 09 February 2022 09:51
By: Dragon_Matt on Wed, 09 February 2022 11:52
By: Adam on Wed, 09 February 2022 15:45

Previous Topic:Pregame: Chicago @ Edmonton (Game #44)
Next Topic:Review: Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #42)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca