This day on July 7
Acquired: Brad Moran (2010)
Departed: Brent Grieve (1994) Ryan Stone (2010)

Happy Birthday To: brian11, sawmill, lauren16, fozzie, weapon of choice, J.G., spud83, BurBub

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Pickard Re-signed: 2 years 2 Million
Switch to nested viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Pickard Re-signed: 2 years 2 Million [message #837174]
Fri, 28 June 2024 14:44 Go to next message
Hibernia  is currently offline Hibernia

No Cups

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/report-oilers-re-sign-g oaltender-calvin-pickard-to-two-year-deal/

Bye bye Campbell!

What happened to all of my messages? lol (I guess it's been awhile) Twitter: @AitchOil

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Pickard Re-signed: 2 years 2 Million [message #837176 is a reply to message #837174 ]
Fri, 28 June 2024 14:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Hibernia wrote on Fri, 28 June 2024 14:44

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/report-oilers-re-sign-g oaltender-calvin-pickard-to-two-year-deal/

Bye bye Campbell!

Hope so. I guess status quo would be that buried Campbell cap savings are more than Pickard's contract.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Pickard Re-signed: 2 years 2 Million [message #837178 is a reply to message #837174 ]
Fri, 28 June 2024 15:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

1 Cup

Don’t like this really.

If we are going to sign a backup, I would have liked somebody who has a chance at 1A that you can trust for a whole playoff series. We know what Pickard is and the ceiling isn’t high.

2 years indicates to me that they don’t really plan on letting Rodrigue try NHL games unless things go south.

Clean house or bust

Re: Pickard Re-signed: 2 years 2 Million [message #837179 is a reply to message #837178 ]
Fri, 28 June 2024 16:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilfan94  is currently offline oilfan94

No Cups

smyth260 wrote on Fri, 28 June 2024 17:22

Don’t like this really.

If we are going to sign a backup, I would have liked somebody who has a chance at 1A that you can trust for a whole playoff series. We know what Pickard is and the ceiling isn’t high.

2 years indicates to me that they don’t really plan on letting Rodrigue try NHL games unless things go south.

At $1M per year he can go to the minors with no penalty, so I don't this this means that there is no chance on another goalie getting a call up. I know it's a one way contract so there is a risk of losing him, but if his play goes south and you send him down, then losing him wouldn't be the end of the world. Doesn't seem like a risky signing at all to me.

Re: Pickard Re-signed: 2 years 2 Million [message #837180 is a reply to message #837179 ]
Fri, 28 June 2024 16:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

oilfan94 wrote on Fri, 28 June 2024 16:10

smyth260 wrote on Fri, 28 June 2024 17:22

Don’t like this really.

At $1M per year he can go to the minors with no penalty, so I don't this this means that there is no chance on another goalie getting a call up. I know it's a one way contract so there is a risk of losing him, but if his play goes south and you send him down, then losing him wouldn't be the end of the world. Doesn't seem like a risky signing at all to me.

I probably wouldn't have made Pickard a priority at this stage. He's not my ideal #2 for next year, and I think this indicates that that's the plan for him. At this stage the Oilers have to give Rodrigue rope in the minors.

That said, Pickard was adequate this year and won us one big game in the post-season. I do think this is an indication though that the tandem that ended this year is exactly the same we should expect in October on opening night.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Pickard Re-signed: 2 years 2 Million [message #837182 is a reply to message #837180 ]
Fri, 28 June 2024 18:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

Pickard was there for us when we needed him so no complaints here.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Pickard Re-signed: 2 years 2 Million [message #837183 is a reply to message #837180 ]
Fri, 28 June 2024 18:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

1 Cup

I think Rodrigue is going to need waivers now. Unlikely he gets claimed at the start of the season but you kind of never know with goalies.

Clean house or bust

Re: Pickard Re-signed: 2 years 2 Million [message #837184 is a reply to message #837182 ]
Fri, 28 June 2024 19:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

nullterm wrote on Fri, 28 June 2024 18:02

I think management should be completely unsentimental about players. What he did for us last year, no matter how important it was, shouldn't make any difference if there is a better option available and the team can be improved.

Again, not the end of the world at all, but not my preference as a first priority signing.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Pickard Re-signed: 2 years 2 Million [message #837200 is a reply to message #837184 ]
Fri, 28 June 2024 22:46 Go to previous message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 28 June 2024 18:50

nullterm wrote on Fri, 28 June 2024 18:02

I think management should be completely unsentimental about players. What he did for us last year, no matter how important it was, shouldn't make any difference if there is a better option available and the team can be improved.

Again, not the end of the world at all, but not my preference as a first priority signing.

I just mean if he was able to step in when we needed him before he should be able to again.

I’m not gushing over it, and I would have liked to see some kind of upgrade in the collective goalie situation… but we could also do worse and other fish need frying.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Previous Topic:Edmonton Trades No. 1 pick for Phillys #32
Next Topic:Holland confirmed gone
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca