This day on July 27
Departed: Shjon Podein (1994)

Happy Birthday To: izmar, scemo2k, dkrahn, Dekes, Oil fan in Ont, ilovelamp, Kman

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Pregame: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #3)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Pregame: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #834972]
Mon, 27 May 2024 02:00 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final
Score Prediction
Login To Make Your Prediction

Edmonton to win:   85%
Dallas to win:   15%
13 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

2023-24P Regular Season
Thursday, May 23, 2024Edmonton 3 @ Dallas 2 (OT)Win
Saturday, May 25, 2024Edmonton 1 @ Dallas 3Loss
Monday, May 27, 2024Dallas 5 @ Edmonton 3Loss
Wednesday, May 29, 2024Dallas 2 @ Edmonton 5Win
Friday, May 31, 2024Edmonton 3 @ Dallas 1Win
Sunday, June 2, 2024Dallas 1 @ Edmonton 2Win
Home Record: 2-1-0       Road Record: 2-1-0       Overall Record: 4-2-0
Home / Road Goals For: 10/7 Total: 17
Home / Road Goals Against: 8/6 Total: 14

2022-23 Regular Season
Saturday, November 5, 2022Dallas 6 @ Edmonton 2Loss
Wednesday, December 21, 2022Edmonton 6 @ Dallas 3Win
Thursday, March 16, 2023Dallas 1 @ Edmonton 4Win
Home Record: 1-1-0       Road Record: 1-0-0       Overall Record: 2-1-0
Home / Road Goals For: 6/6 Total: 12
Home / Road Goals Against: 7/3 Total: 10

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Pregame: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #834977 is a reply to message #834972 ]
Mon, 27 May 2024 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

2 Cups

Let’s just get this win!

Re: Pregame: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #834978 is a reply to message #834972 ]
Mon, 27 May 2024 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

D.. Did you hear that? MUST

No, no, seriously... did you hear that? MUST

Sshh... stop, just listen. MUST

There it is again. Please tell me you heard that! MUST

It's getting louder... rhythmically increasing in volume. MUST

It's coming...MUST

ITS A CAT 4 KINDA NIGHT MUST
Β 
LEEEEETS *BLEEPIN* GOOOOOOOOO

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Pregame: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #834979 is a reply to message #834978 ]
Mon, 27 May 2024 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Henrique is going to play tonight. That is a good addition as it should beef up the 3rd line offensively because it's been a blackhole for offense.

Ryan has a single assist and is -3.
Foegele has 1 goal, 3 pts, but his goal was an empty netter in the first round and he's -9.
McLeod doesn't have a single point. He hasn't scored a goal in his last 26 playoff games and is -5.

Something has to change with that line.

The problem is, I don't know who to take out. I am not touching the 4th line. It's been playing extremely well. That line doesn't get scored on. They got the only goal last game, they do generate some chances. Janmark and Brown are great on the PK. Brown scored and maybe played his best game in game 2. Carrick for me is doing what you want from your 4th line center. Skating hard, going to the net, not getting scored on, being physical at times, winning draws.

So it's one of Ryan, Foegele or McLeod and I am not sure who to pick.

Re: Pregame: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #834981 is a reply to message #834979 ]
Mon, 27 May 2024 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Sounds like McLeod is out for Henrique.

Re: Pregame: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #834986 is a reply to message #834981 ]
Mon, 27 May 2024 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve  is currently offline Steve

No Cups

Hopefully this is a mental reset for McLeod. His speed is important, and I don't want him out for long.

Maybe they take turns until something clicks. They all have their issues, Ryan is smart but slow, and Foegle is a spaz.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."

- Calvin

Re: Pregame: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #834987 is a reply to message #834986 ]
Mon, 27 May 2024 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Steve wrote on Mon, 27 May 2024 10:49

Hopefully this is a mental reset for McLeod. His speed is important, and I don't want him out for long.

Maybe they take turns until something clicks. They all have their issues, Ryan is smart but slow, and Foegle is a spaz.

Clouder was in front of the mic yesterday and he admitted he knows he has to go to the hard areas... it's a matter of will with him, IMO.

His return to the lineup will all depend on how the team as a whole responds tonight.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Pregame: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #834988 is a reply to message #834987 ]
Mon, 27 May 2024 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Mon, 27 May 2024 10:57

Steve wrote on Mon, 27 May 2024 10:49

Clouder was in front of the mic yesterday and he admitted he knows he has to go to the hard areas... it's a matter of will with him, IMO.

His return to the lineup will all depend on how the team as a whole responds tonight.

That's been his problem since he entered the league and is what holds him back in my opinion. With his speed, he should be able to generate more scoring chances if he drives the net. That's a straight up will/courage thing and might be something hard to overcome.

Re: Pregame: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #834998 is a reply to message #834981 ]
Mon, 27 May 2024 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 27 May 2024 09:47

Sounds like McLeod is out for Henrique.

Has the most upside of any forward, but he's simply not getting it done. Is it an injury, lack of compete or a regular season guy and not cut for the playoffs? The answer is, it does not really matter. Cannot afford any passengers right now.

Re: Pregame: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #834989 is a reply to message #834972 ]
Mon, 27 May 2024 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

1 Cup

All this talk about McLeod, none about Ceci.

I know which one is bleeding more goals and chances.

Clean house or bust

Re: Pregame: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #834990 is a reply to message #834989 ]
Mon, 27 May 2024 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I will give Knoblauch props, he's got balls.

Scratching McLeod to get Henrique in is not an easy move but probably the right move. Hopefully this is a wake up call as he has to go to the net to have a chance top score and he isn't right now. Lots of times playoffs are all about who's going and who's excelling in the role the team needs and right now, defensively he's been OK at times but teams need some level of scoring from their 3rd line and he's not giving them any.

Re: Pregame: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #834992 is a reply to message #834990 ]
Mon, 27 May 2024 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 27 May 2024 14:14

Scratching McLeod to get Henrique in is not an easy move but probably the right move. Hopefully this is a wake up call as he has to go to the net to have a chance top score and he isn't right now. Lots of times playoffs are all about who's going and who's excelling in the role the team needs and right now, defensively he's been OK at times but teams need some level of scoring from their 3rd line and he's not giving them any.

McLeod has absolutely elite speed, and that is awesome. But I literally don't recall many softer/easier to play against players than him. Finishing your check in the NHL, let alone in round 3 of the playoffs, is not optional - it is part of your job.

Not sure I would have taken him out instead of Ryan, but hopefully it's a one game thing and it lights a fire under him. Because he does have the skills to be effective - he just needs to want it.

Re: Pregame: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #834996 is a reply to message #834992 ]
Mon, 27 May 2024 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Mike wrote on Mon, 27 May 2024 11:24

McLeod has absolutely elite speed, and that is awesome. But I literally don't recall many softer/easier to play against players than him. Finishing your check in the NHL, let alone in round 3 of the playoffs, is not optional - it is part of your job.

Not sure I would have taken him out instead of Ryan, but hopefully it's a one game thing and it lights a fire under him. Because he does have the skills to be effective - he just needs to want it.

Tough call between McLeod or Ryan.

McLeod's speed is great but if he's not using it to go around guys or go hard to the net (which he's not), then it doesn't do much for the team. My guess is Knoblaugh, who I believe is a big fan of McLeod's as he tends to say lots of good things about him, has talked to him many times about being harder in the playoffs and it's not happening. As you said, he is one of the easiest players to play against and being hard to play against doesn't mean you have to drill guys or fight. Being hard to play against can be being relentless on pucks, constantly winning puck battles and taking the puck hard to the goal. All things he is more than capable of doing and he chooses not to.

My guess for Ryan is they like how smart he is, he is good on draws as a right shot, very good on the PK and when I watch Ryan, he doesn't have the speed of McLeod, he's not very big but I do see him mucking it up in the corners and he will go to the net a lot more than McLeod. So that could be part of the reason why.

Re: Pregame: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #834999 is a reply to message #834996 ]
Mon, 27 May 2024 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 27 May 2024 11:30

McLeod's speed is great but if he's not using it to go around guys or go hard to the net (which he's not), then it doesn't do much for the team. My guess is Knoblaugh, who I believe is a big fan of McLeod's as he tends to say lots of good things about him, has talked to him many times about being harder in the playoffs and it's not happening. As you said, he is one of the easiest players to play against and being hard to play against doesn't mean you have to drill guys or fight. Being hard to play against can be being relentless on pucks, constantly winning puck battles and taking the puck hard to the goal. All things he is more than capable of doing and he chooses not to.

My guess for Ryan is they like how smart he is, he is good on draws as a right shot, very good on the PK and when I watch Ryan, he doesn't have the speed of McLeod, he's not very big but I do see him mucking it up in the corners and he will go to the net a lot more than McLeod. So that could be part of the reason why.

Throw Ryan into McLeod's 6 foot 3 frame and then watch out. McLeod has all the physical attributes with speed to burn, and this is why he is so frustrating to watch.

Re: Pregame: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #835001 is a reply to message #834999 ]
Mon, 27 May 2024 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Mon, 27 May 2024 13:38

Throw Ryan into McLeod's 6 foot 3 frame and then watch out. McLeod has all the physical attributes with speed to burn, and this is why he is so frustrating to watch.

100% For a small guy, Ryan isn't afraid to get in there.

I don't even need/want McLeod to be running around trying to blow up guys, just use your speed and take the puck hard to the goal. Best case you score or generate a rebound for your winger to pop in, worse case they have to take a penalty to stop you. I honestly think he's scared because otherwise, why wouldn't you do it at least sometimes in a game.

Re: Pregame: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #835002 is a reply to message #835001 ]
Mon, 27 May 2024 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 27 May 2024 13:42

inverno76 wrote on Mon, 27 May 2024 13:38

100% For a small guy, Ryan isn't afraid to get in there.

I don't even need/want McLeod to be running around trying to blow up guys, just use your speed and take the puck hard to the goal. Best case you score or generate a rebound for your winger to pop in, worse case they have to take a penalty to stop you. I honestly think he's scared because otherwise, why wouldn't you do it at least sometimes in a game.

Forecheck, back check, huge pay cheque. Unfortunately it is a waste of talent until he commits to a hard nosed game.

Re: Pregame: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #835007 is a reply to message #834999 ]
Mon, 27 May 2024 14:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

4 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Mon, 27 May 2024 12:38

Agree 100% .. I've thought the same myself.. put Ryan's brain into McLeod's chassis and you have a top 6 NHL forward.
What Ryan is able to do without the A-grade physical attributes is an example of how effective a player can be just by playing smart and being tenacious. I think he'll make a great coach one day.

[Updated on: Mon, 27 May 2024 15:11]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Pregame: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #835006 is a reply to message #834992 ]
Mon, 27 May 2024 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Mike wrote on Mon, 27 May 2024 10:24

His problem with avoiding finishing checks and engaging physically, like going to the front of the net or working along the boards to retrieve/retain pucks.. has been an issue of his since junior.. he had 1st round draft speed and size.. but dropped to the Oilers mid 2nd round.. I remember his AHL coaches saying that was his major issue in Bakersfield.. consistently.. it appears to be a mental block with him.. almost phobia-like.. thats what makes hin so frustrating to watch .. high end talent.. especially speed.. but lacking the required CPU to use it effectively .

Still a bold decision.. the Oiler PK has been rock solid .. McLeod's speed being a major contributor.. even when he avoids contact.. of teh guys to come out for Henrique's addition.. Mcleod was not the 1st or 2nd I had on that list.. hope K-blok is right!

[Updated on: Mon, 27 May 2024 16:23]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Pregame: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #834991 is a reply to message #834989 ]
Mon, 27 May 2024 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

smyth260 wrote on Mon, 27 May 2024 14:09

Whether it's with Nurse or Kulak, Ceci has been hemmed in almost every game these playoffs, and last year too.

I don't want to hate on the guy, but it seems every time he is out there its a fire drill in our end. I wouldn't hate to see Knob try Broberg or Stecher in his place, but that would be a pretty tough call to make.

Re: Pregame: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #834993 is a reply to message #834991 ]
Mon, 27 May 2024 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Mike wrote on Mon, 27 May 2024 11:21

Whether it's with Nurse or Kulak, Ceci has been hemmed in almost every game these playoffs, and last year too.

I don't want to hate on the guy, but it seems every time he is out there its a fire drill in our end. I wouldn't hate to see Knob try Broberg or Stecher in his place, but that would be a pretty tough call to make.

My guess is that Knoblaugh would be talking a ton to Coffey about Ceci and Coffey is comfortable with him.

Re: Pregame: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #834994 is a reply to message #834991 ]
Mon, 27 May 2024 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Save Ceci for game 7's. I don't see how Stecher hasn't drawn in yet. It's very clear that Knob has been struggling with how to use Ceci. He's probably completely lost the 2nd pair spot with Nurse now to Vinny.

Stecher was pretty good in the regular season. I think he would do good with Kulak on the 3rd pair.

McLeod out makes sense. He's clearly buckling under the pressure to perform now. He needs a break and to watch a game or 2. Reminds me of a younger less skilled Nuge. There is a hump he needs to get over with the physical aspect of the game. Wouldn't give up on him, 24 years old and he's shown he has lots of smarts in how to play. He will mature. This playoffs might help keep down his next contract too.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Pregame: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #835000 is a reply to message #834994 ]
Mon, 27 May 2024 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 27 May 2024 11:27

Save Ceci for game 7's. I don't see how Stecher hasn't drawn in yet. It's very clear that Knob has been struggling with how to use Ceci. He's probably completely lost the 2nd pair spot with Nurse now to Vinny.

Stecher was pretty good in the regular season. I think he would do good with Kulak on the 3rd pair.

McLeod out makes sense. He's clearly buckling under the pressure to perform now. He needs a break and to watch a game or 2. Reminds me of a younger less skilled Nuge. There is a hump he needs to get over with the physical aspect of the game. Wouldn't give up on him, 24 years old and he's shown he has lots of smarts in how to play. He will mature. This playoffs might help keep down his next contract too.

I thought Stecher looked not very good in his limited action, but that being said we saw the smallest of sample sizes with him. Canuck fans give him a ringing endorsement, but I would rather have Broberg in that spot.

Re: Pregame: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #835003 is a reply to message #835000 ]
Mon, 27 May 2024 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Mon, 27 May 2024 13:41

I thought Stecher looked not very good in his limited action, but that being said we saw the smallest of sample sizes with him. Canuck fans give him a ringing endorsement, but I would rather have Broberg in that spot.

Canucks fans also LOVE Zadorov... the fact Canuck fans give Stetcher a ringing endorsement, isn't a strong argument that he should be in game 3 of the WCF.

And I've been on the record, maybe not so much here but in my "non-Oscargasm behind a keyboard" life, that Ceci has been the weak point on the D. But I wouldn't sit Ceci given the current environment over Stetcher.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Pregame: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #835004 is a reply to message #835000 ]
Mon, 27 May 2024 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Mon, 27 May 2024 13:41

He did end up 3rd among D for Corsi % and xGF %, behind 2 obvious guys. With 50% zone starts which was similar to Ceci. 75% GF, 6 GF 2 GA. 59% xGF with nurse (Ceci 53% with nurse with easier zone starts). 67% with kulak in a tiny amount of ice time.

He did pretty much as well as you could hope from a depth D that came as cheap as we could afford.

I honestly can't imagine he would be less effective defending than Ceci. That would be crazy bad at this point. How he has been eclipsed by Vinny whole we see Vinny having his own difficulties is pretty telling. Maybe he is just such a great guy in the room it's hard to take him out. I hope it doesn't burn us.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Pregame: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #834995 is a reply to message #834972 ]
Mon, 27 May 2024 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Officiating tonight, Steve Kozari and Dan O'Rourke..

Stars have gone 2-3, while Oilers have gone 0-3 this post season with Kozari or O'Rourke officiating..

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Pregame: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #834997 is a reply to message #834995 ]
Mon, 27 May 2024 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Mon, 27 May 2024 11:29

Officiating tonight, Steve Kozari and Dan O'Rourke..

Stars have gone 2-3, while Oilers have gone 0-3 this post season with Kozari or O'Rourke officiating..

Kozari is the Dustin Schwartz of NHL refs. One of the worst with a long list of crazy bad/missed calls, but somehow still makes the roster for late playoff games.

Players all despise Kozari too. He keeps making it high on the list for worst ref vote, for just incompetence instead of general grumpiness which always makes Justin St. Pierre #1. Kozari always a top competitor for #2.

Not a game where we need a poop-show with the refs, but odds are high we get it tonight.

[Updated on: Mon, 27 May 2024 12:26]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Pregame: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #835005 is a reply to message #834972 ]
Mon, 27 May 2024 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Do you smell what McD is cookin' ? .. its E-Town MUST my friends!

OH YEAH !! 😊

GO. OIL. !
πŸ’₯ πŸ€›πŸ»

https://media3.giphy.com/media/v1.Y2lkPTc5MGI3NjExNzFwNGc3cjg1ZjI5eTlyMWRpZDV0OGN2NHI1aWY4a3Jyb250dHZ3cyZlcD12MV9pbnRlcm5hbF9naWZfYnlfaWQmY3Q9Zw/rF9ktU1e53RevyOLxL/giphy.gif

https://media0.giphy.com/media/v1.Y2lkPTc5MGI3NjExY3Fxa3F0a3pxc3kzNWRncHBobnF5aHhhN3Jrc3RmOWczODFmZTg5ZyZlcD12MV9pbnRlcm5hbF9naWZfYnlfaWQmY3Q9Zw/suxQfcUQYhY2w1slbS/giphy.gif

https://media3.giphy.com/media/v1.Y2lkPTc5MGI3NjExMGxjM3JseDUzYm5lbmR6MzRsM2o5ODdvaTZ2a21kd2w4b2Uya2dkcyZlcD12MV9pbnRlcm5hbF9naWZfYnlfaWQmY3Q9Zw/zIvsIEXEh3i5KOYlbn/giphy.gif

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Pregame: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #835017 is a reply to message #834972 ]
Mon, 27 May 2024 18:42 Go to previous message
Rowan Oil Fielding  is currently offline Rowan Oil Fielding

No Cups

The Oil's got this!

https://i.postimg.cc/mZ9GD3V6/php2-CH3-Yf-AM.jpg

Previous Topic:GDT: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #3)
Next Topic:Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #2)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca