This day on July 26
None

Happy Birthday To: oilersfan, woomaz, oilfaninvancity, Cpowell187, Andy34, DieHardOilersFan

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Pregame: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #2)Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Pregame: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #2) [message #833439]
Fri, 10 May 2024 02:00 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final (OT)
Score Prediction
Login To Make Your Prediction

Edmonton to win: 75%
Vancouver to win: 25%
12 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

2023-24P Regular Season
Wednesday, May 8, 2024Edmonton 4 @ Vancouver 5Loss
Friday, May 10, 2024Edmonton 4 @ Vancouver 3 (OT)Win
Sunday, May 12, 2024Vancouver 4 @ Edmonton 3Loss
Tuesday, May 14, 2024Vancouver 2 @ Edmonton 3Win
Thursday, May 16, 2024Edmonton 2 @ Vancouver 3Loss
Saturday, May 18, 2024Vancouver 1 @ Edmonton 5Win
Monday, May 20, 2024Edmonton 3 @ Vancouver 2Win
Home Record: 2-1-0       Road Record: 2-2-0       Overall Record: 4-3-0
Home / Road Goals For: 11/13 Total: 24
Home / Road Goals Against: 7/13 Total: 20

2022-23 Regular Season
Wednesday, October 12, 2022Vancouver 3 @ Edmonton 5Win
Friday, December 23, 2022Vancouver 5 @ Edmonton 2Loss
Saturday, January 21, 2023Edmonton 4 @ Vancouver 2Win
Home Record: 1-1-0       Road Record: 1-0-0       Overall Record: 2-1-0
Home / Road Goals For: 7/4 Total: 11
Home / Road Goals Against: 8/2 Total: 10

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #2) [message #833440 is a reply to message #833439 ]
Fri, 10 May 2024 06:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

She's so GD Musty

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #2) [message #833441 is a reply to message #833440 ]
Fri, 10 May 2024 07:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

1 Cup

Sure hope Drai is feeling better. I have my doubts as to that "back cramps" excuse that Knoblauch mentioned. It looked to me like something much worse.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #2) [message #833443 is a reply to message #833441 ]
Fri, 10 May 2024 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Fri, 10 May 2024 07:06

Sure hope Drai is feeling better. I have my doubts as to that "back cramps" excuse that Knoblauch mentioned. It looked to me like something much worse.

My guess is he had a back spasm or a sore muscle in his back. There wasn't an obvious play where he looked hurt. There was a play where he was twisted a bit reaching for a puck and a Canuck crosschecked him in the back. Shortly after the trainer was with him and I thought he said back. Then he left.

This makes sense to me. He left early to get treatment. Then came back. If you watched him play, he was avoiding some contact a bit and when he skated, he looked a bit more upright. When your back is a bit sore, you can still do some things as long as it's not serious, but you tend to move around a bit more gingerly. Which is what occurred. So hopefully with some treatment that night, treatment yesterday and treatment today he will be OK.

If it was serious, I don't think he would have played that game because they were up the whole time and you don't expect your team to collapse, especially Skinner like that. Fingers crossed.

For the game, I expect the Oilers to be a lot better. Skinner will be a lot better. What I like about him, is he takes accountability when he makes a mistake. He doesn't go Campbell and talk about how much he sucks. But he doesn't deflect blame and talk team this, team that. He wasn't at his best, he knows it, he admitted it, he's a young goalie, I think he will have a good game. Just like he did in the Kings series.

I think the D core and I touched on it yesterday, looked rusty. From 1-6 they at times looked like they couldn't make a 10ft pass to save their life. THe amount of icings they had because they missed a routine outlet pass was ridiculous. Bouch and Ek where the best but even they I didn't think looked as sharp as usual. The big thing for me is McD. I thought he wasn't very good at all. There are games when he doesn't score points but it's pretty rare you see him have a game where he literally does nothing. Not a big rush, not a great play, not even a shot. He was invisible. I know the Canucks are a good defensive team but no team is that good. The Kings try to play a extreme defensive style, at times it seemed they almost had a guy laying on McD's back and he was able to make some plays. So I am expecting McD to be extremely motivated. Plus lots of other guys just looked off last game.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #2) [message #833444 is a reply to message #833443 ]
Fri, 10 May 2024 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

If Leon isn't 100%, this is a game the Oilers really need Nuge to step up.

Longest serving Oiler. Says he really wants to win. Just like last playoff, he hasn't been bad. He's been OK. Nuge being Nuge, that whole narrative. Last year he had 1 goal, 11 pts in 12 games. This playoff, 1 goal, 8 pts in 6 games. But he's never had a playoff where he elevated and played great. Hyman is having a fantastic playoff. He's clearly elevated his play. Teams that win have guys who elevate their games in the playoffs. Nuge badly needs to.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #2) [message #833446 is a reply to message #833444 ]
Fri, 10 May 2024 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 10 May 2024 09:41

Longest serving Oiler. Says he really wants to win. Just like last playoff, he hasn't been bad. He's been OK. Nuge being Nuge, that whole narrative. Last year he had 1 goal, 11 pts in 12 games. This playoff, 1 goal, 8 pts in 6 games. But he's never had a playoff where he elevated and played great. Hyman is having a fantastic playoff. He's clearly elevated his play. Teams that win have guys who elevate their games in the playoffs. Nuge badly needs to.

Just need Nuge to be Nuge on both sides of the puck. So much of what he does goes unnoticed. The bumper play on the PP is my favourite example. He just keeps plays moving, when if he were to just stop and set up the PP like most do, the play dies as the D are allowed to get back into position. But I do agree some shots from the face off circle would like nice. His wrister is still lethal when we see it.

When I saw Draisaitl react to the back pain it reminded me of when I for the lack of a better term, 'pop a rib out' during exercise. It's immobilizing and takes the breath right out of you. Breathing hurts, but thankfully it is just a small adjustment, a day of rest and a massage from feeling good again. In my very unprofessional opinion, and from the lack of evidence that he suffered a significant injury on a play I am going to say I am 100% accurate with my diagnosis.

***Oilans.com is not responsible for my comments, nor do my views reflect the ideas of our moderators.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #2) [message #833449 is a reply to message #833446 ]
Fri, 10 May 2024 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Fri, 10 May 2024 09:59

Just need Nuge to be Nuge on both sides of the puck. So much of what he does goes unnoticed. The bumper play on the PP is my favourite example. He just keeps plays moving, when if he were to just stop and set up the PP like most do, the play dies as the D are allowed to get back into position. But I do agree some shots from the face off circle would like nice. His wrister is still lethal when we see it.

When I saw Draisaitl react to the back pain it reminded me of when I for the lack of a better term, 'pop a rib out' during exercise. It's immobilizing and takes the breath right out of you. Breathing hurts, but thankfully it is just a small adjustment, a day of rest and a massage from feeling good again. In my very unprofessional opinion, and from the lack of evidence that he suffered a significant injury on a play I am going to say I am 100% accurate with my diagnosis.

***Oilans.com is not responsible for my comments, nor do my views reflect the ideas of our moderators.

I disagree with you on Nuge.

Like I said, I don't think Nuge was bad last year or has been bad this year. I think he's been exactly as you said. Nuge being Nuge. Maybe I am in the minority but I don't think Nuge being Nuge is good enough in the playoffs. You need players to elevate.

Leon is a hell of a regular season player, in the playoffs he's is next level. 2 years ago, he could barely walk and scored 32 pts in 16 games. That's insane. If you look at his last few players, he's over 2 pts per game while being a nasty SOB. He hits, his dzone play ramps up. That guy elevates in the playoffs.

Hyman has been an excellent player for the Oilers. Probably will go down as the best free agent signing EVER. He had a great regular season, he's been even better in the playoffs. He's elevated his game.

Like I said, maybe others don't agree but I don't think good teams win if the bulk of their team just plays OK. THe old status quo from the season. You have to ramp up your game and in my opinion, has there been a playoff where anyone said "Wow, Nuge was amazing". I can't think of one. He's always just Nuge being Nuge. That goal he missed, that was Nuge being Nuge. Good spot sometimes they go in for him, sometimes not. Aww shucks, he hit the post. He had to bury that! That had to go in. He puts that in, it's 5-2 and even if the team wasn't at their best, it's game over.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #2) [message #833450 is a reply to message #833449 ]
Fri, 10 May 2024 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 10 May 2024 10:14

inverno76 wrote on Fri, 10 May 2024 09:59

I disagree with you on Nuge.

Like I said, I don't think Nuge was bad last year or has been bad this year. I think he's been exactly as you said. Nuge being Nuge. Maybe I am in the minority but I don't think Nuge being Nuge is good enough in the playoffs. You need players to elevate.

Leon is a hell of a regular season player, in the playoffs he's is next level. 2 years ago, he could barely walk and scored 32 pts in 16 games. That's insane. If you look at his last few players, he's over 2 pts per game while being a nasty SOB. He hits, his dzone play ramps up. That guy elevates in the playoffs.

Hyman has been an excellent player for the Oilers. Probably will go down as the best free agent signing EVER. He had a great regular season, he's been even better in the playoffs. He's elevated his game.

Like I said, maybe others don't agree but I don't think good teams win if the bulk of their team just plays OK. THe old status quo from the season. You have to ramp up your game and in my opinion, has there been a playoff where anyone said "Wow, Nuge was amazing". I can't think of one. He's always just Nuge being Nuge. That goal he missed, that was Nuge being Nuge. Good spot sometimes they go in for him, sometimes not. Aww shucks, he hit the post. He had to bury that! That had to go in. He puts that in, it's 5-2 and even if the team wasn't at their best, it's game over.

Nuge's game will never wow anyone. He does not do one flashy thing at a high level, but he's above average on so many other aspects. His point production is up in the playoffs, and I doubt we will ever see a physically engaged Nugent-Hopkins. A history of bad shoulders and it has never been his style of game.

#93 will be an integral part of this teams success, but you have to settle on his ability to be the first guy back on a play going the wrong way, elite PP and PK skills, calming disposition, with the ability to move up and down the line-up as a center or a winger. Some players are just more visibly engaged in the playoffs, while Nugent-Hopkins will never be the straw that stirs the drink, but he is always the glass holding it all together.

Plus 8 points in 6 games is a great scoring pace. Almost a 110 points over a regular season, and he's doing it when scoring is the hardest.

(I think I made a beautiful analogy, even if I may be the only one who believes it. My ignorance is my bliss)

[Updated on: Fri, 10 May 2024 13:26]

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #2) [message #833453 is a reply to message #833444 ]
Fri, 10 May 2024 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Ha ha ha...are you suggesting that a point a game pace or better isn't that good?

I will agree that Nuge hasn't had to really drive a line with the Oilers but he's been a really good complimentary player. It will be incumbent on him to drive a line if Draisaitl is out - something we just haven't asked him to do in a long time. Have not heard Leon is out though...hopefully he gives him great support still.

I would like more from RNH (and a lot of others) at even strength though. We've won the first series on the back of our special teams, which is why Tocchet is trying really hard to discourage anyone from calling penalties. As we get deeper in the post-season, we have to expect that the impetus for even strength excellence is just going to increase.

Would really like to see the team keep the killer instinct too...no more trying to choke the life out of a game and win 1-0. We're just not built to be a good trap team and it's asking for trouble any time we try, especially since the goalie isn't exactly the next coming of Hasek.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireBobbyNicks

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #2) [message #833454 is a reply to message #833453 ]
Fri, 10 May 2024 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Fri, 10 May 2024 15:15

Ha ha ha...are you suggesting that a point a game pace or better isn't that good?

Yeah - hard to say he has sucked. He hasn't lit the world on fire, but he's been pretty good and I think underrated in a lot of respects because he doesn't rattle the boards nor undress to many guys. But he's been solid. Though I would like to see him use that killer wrist shot a lot more. His career 0.854 Pts/Gm is good for 115th all time - that's in the history of the NHL. That's pretty good.

Speaking of Pts/Gm - Evan Bouchard (1.06) is 27th all time with 1.06. 3rd all time amongst D, trailing only Orr (1.24) and Makar (1.13)!!! Man he's going to be expensive.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #2) [message #833459 is a reply to message #833454 ]
Fri, 10 May 2024 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Fri, 10 May 2024 13:15

Yeah - hard to say he has sucked. He hasn't lit the world on fire, but he's been pretty good and I think underrated in a lot of respects because he doesn't rattle the boards nor undress to many guys. But he's been solid. Though I would like to see him use that killer wrist shot a lot more. His career 0.854 Pts/Gm is good for 115th all time - that's in the history of the NHL. That's pretty good.

Speaking of Pts/Gm - Evan Bouchard (1.06) is 27th all time with 1.06. 3rd all time amongst D, trailing only Orr (1.24) and Makar (1.13)!!! Man he's going to be expensive.

Holland's final gift to us all was the Bouch bridge deal. This is nicely timed for after we have to deal with Holland's 3M Connor Brown bonus next year.

Damn him.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #2) [message #833460 is a reply to message #833454 ]
Fri, 10 May 2024 14:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jay  is currently offline Jay

No Cups

Mike wrote on Fri, 10 May 2024 13:15

That is wild how productive he has been.
So expensive that I'm not sure how they keep 97, 29 and 2.

But at least they have (9.)25 for 6(!) years after this.

"Initiative comes to thems that wait"

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #2) [message #833457 is a reply to message #833453 ]
Fri, 10 May 2024 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 10 May 2024 12:15

I try not to respond to many of your posts anymore but I will for this.

He scored 1 goal, 11 pts in 12 games last year. 9 PP assists. Nuge plays on the #1 PP unit that usually plays around 1:40 of every PP give or take 10 seconds. Sometimes the whole 2 mins. He plays in the Oilers top 6 with typically one of McD or Leon as his center. A lot of his PP points end up being second assists. Not discrediting them but that is what happens on a lot of occasions. This playoff in 6 games, he had 1 goal, 8 pts. 5 of which are on the PP.

Now I am sure you will tell me how wrong I am and how I should think, but in my opinion, when you get as much PP time as Nuge gets and you play wing with one of McD or Leon as much as he does, you should score more than 1 goal. I also think that if it was any other forward, if that forward only scored 1 goal getting as much icetime, PP time and time with McD or Leon as Nuge gets, a lot of fans would be calling for that player to be taken off the top line because he wasn't scoring enough goals. But because it's Nuge, it's OK and it's Nuge being Nuge.

As I said and I will say it AGAIN, I don't think he's playing bad, he does things that help the team but like I said a couple of times, and I will say it AGAIN, to go far in the playoffs teams need other players other than their main star to step up. I do not think scoring 1 goal in the playoffs is stepping up.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #2) [message #833458 is a reply to message #833457 ]
Fri, 10 May 2024 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 10 May 2024 14:05

He scored 1 goal, 11 pts in 12 games last year. 9 PP assists. Nuge plays on the #1 PP unit that usually plays around 1:40 of every PP give or take 10 seconds. Sometimes the whole 2 mins. He plays in the Oilers top 6 with typically one of McD or Leon as his center. A lot of his PP points end up being second assists. Not discrediting them but that is what happens on a lot of occasions. This playoff in 6 games, he had 1 goal, 8 pts. 5 of which are on the PP.

Now I am sure you will tell me how wrong I am and how I should think, but in my opinion, when you get as much PP time as Nuge gets and you play wing with one of McD or Leon as much as he does, you should score more than 1 goal. I also think that if it was any other forward, if that forward only scored 1 goal getting as much icetime, PP time and time with McD or Leon as Nuge gets, a lot of fans would be calling for that player to be taken off the top line because he wasn't scoring enough goals. But because it's Nuge, it's OK and it's Nuge being Nuge.

As I said and I will say it AGAIN, I don't think he's playing bad, he does things that help the team but like I said a couple of times, and I will say it AGAIN, to go far in the playoffs teams need other players other than their main star to step up. I do not think scoring 1 goal in the playoffs is stepping up.

Are we over-crediting Nugent-Hopkins, or are you not giving him enough credit. If we are going to count 97 and 29's PP presence and points then we need to do the same for Nuge. There is a reason why the power play is an all-time elite UNIT.

McDavid has only one goal too, but the team is scoring and at the end of the day if the goals are coming far more often with the players in question on the ice, then they are playing at a high level of excellence.

Now if Nugent-Hopkins was not producing above his regular season production I would likely be swayed by your argument.

If this team needs to get over the hump, the Ceci/Nurse duo needs to get's pucks out of our end more efficiently. They got caved last game and I am being polite (on for 4 goals against at 5v5). The team just needs them to be serviceable . Elite would be wonderful, but serviceable is the ask. Nurse has been great on the PK where he keeps his play nice and simple.

Once again .... Nuge needs to shoot more and I don't care if he leads the league in secondary assists, or the third assist that does not count in the record books, He is contributing to goals, and goal scoring has not been our issue.

[Updated on: Fri, 10 May 2024 14:21]

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #2) [message #833462 is a reply to message #833458 ]
Fri, 10 May 2024 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Fri, 10 May 2024 14:18

Are we over-crediting Nugent-Hopkins, or are you not giving him enough credit. If we are going to count 97 and 29's PP presence and points then we need to do the same for Nuge. There is a reason why the power play is an all-time elite UNIT.

McDavid has only one goal too, but the team is scoring and at the end of the day if the goals are coming far more often with the players in question on the ice, then they are playing at a high level of excellence.

Now if Nugent-Hopkins was not producing above his regular season production I would likely be swayed by your argument.

If this team needs to get over the hump, the Ceci/Nurse duo needs to get's pucks out of our end more efficiently. They got caved last game and I am being polite (on for 4 goals against at 5v5). The team just needs them to be serviceable . Elite would be wonderful, but serviceable is the ask. Nurse has been great on the PK where he keeps his play nice and simple.

Once again .... Nuge needs to shoot more and I don't care if he leads the league in secondary assists, or the third assist that does not count in the record books, He is contributing to goals, and goal scoring has not been our issue.

If Foegele was in Nuge's spot and he had 2 goals in 18 games, which is what Nuge has, and Foegele got all that top 6 time with McD or Leon and he got all that PP time. Would you be happy with the goal production or would you be expecting him to score more that 2 goals in 18 games?

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #2) [message #833463 is a reply to message #833462 ]
Fri, 10 May 2024 14:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 10 May 2024 14:33

If Foegele was in Nuge's spot and he had 2 goals in 18 games, which is what Nuge has, and Foegele got all that top 6 time with McD or Leon and he got all that PP time. Would you be happy with the goal production or would you be expecting him to score more that 2 goals in 18 games?

What if I was in Nuge's spot and scored only 2 goals in 18 games would be happy with my performance regardless of the MUST I be bringing? What if it was Yakupov!? WHAT IF IT WAS JESSE PULJUJARVI!!!!

As Inverno has said and others agreed with/alluded on, what the Nuge does extremely well is the stuff that goes unnoticed. THAT intangible is the stuff that keeps in him the roles of which he is deployed.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #2) [message #833469 is a reply to message #833462 ]
Fri, 10 May 2024 16:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 10 May 2024 14:33

If he had the same ppg, and our PP and PK was unreal, then yes.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #2) [message #833461 is a reply to message #833453 ]
Fri, 10 May 2024 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Think the story of Nuge's year is his SH% being cut in half. He could not miss in 2022/23. He missed all the time in 23/24. Sadly missed a wide open net last night.

He's become far more reliable defensively as he got older and more experienced, which is really showing. Offensively, he has never been a driver, and I never really expect him to be. His playmaking ability 5v5 is still an issue with the reduced time/space vs when he's on the PP, and he's not getting any faster to create more room for himself.

The Nuge is what he is. Glad we didn't overpay him because he's paid very appropriately for what he is.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #2) [message #833477 is a reply to message #833443 ]
Fri, 10 May 2024 17:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

No Cups

Oilers are going to need to be wayyyy better tonight. McDavid needs to do better than 0 shots on net, Kane and Perry need to make their presence felt, Nurse and Ceci need to be better than a tire fire, McLeod needs to do more than just go for a public skate, they need to hit and put pressure on Vancouver's D, they need more than 5 shots in a period and a half, and they need a much better performance in net from Stu.

If they can do all that, they might come out with a win. You have to remember that Vancouver didn't even play that well on Wednesday. They'll be even better tonight, and the Oilers DO NOT want to play the Canucks game.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #2) [message #833445 is a reply to message #833439 ]
Fri, 10 May 2024 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

I am no longer angry at everyone and after reviewing the goals scored against, I do find Skinner at fault with three of them. Nurse was brutal, Ceci was even more brutal.

Here is to a new day, a Skinner bounce back, a Nurse/Ceci that is less bad and to a healthy Draisaitl and a McDavid that is excited to fire the puck. Heck, to a team that wants to shoot more often and not sit back on their heels.

It's super MUSTY in my world as I was just gifted a seat to Sunday's game. The joint will be bouncing after we tie the series up tonight.

LFG!

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #2) [message #833451 is a reply to message #833445 ]
Fri, 10 May 2024 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Fri, 10 May 2024 09:51

I am no longer angry at everyone and after reviewing the goals scored against, I do find Skinner at fault with three of them. Nurse was brutal, Ceci was even more brutal.

Here is to a new day, a Skinner bounce back, a Nurse/Ceci that is less bad and to a healthy Draisaitl and a McDavid that is excited to fire the puck. Heck, to a team that wants to shoot more often and not sit back on their heels.

It's super MUSTY in my world as I was just gifted a seat to Sunday's game. The joint will be bouncing after we tie the series up tonight.

LFG!

https://media4.giphy.com/media/iRjB2mfESqgec/giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952nfbn9qoinas2lf1rrfe5i84yo5ci56zef2v6k92w&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

Really can't blame anyone for how they reacted to that game. Just a stunning collapse, and finding out how much of it was self inflicted too ... just ugh. Toss in Drai being hurt, plus how Holland's laziness since last playoffs smacked us all right in the face in the clearest possible way. Just so many reasons to be mad/frustrated.

Really hope we can just erase memories of that game tonight. And really hope Drai can play like we need him to.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #2) [message #833478 is a reply to message #833451 ]
Fri, 10 May 2024 17:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

No Cups

We'll be lucky if we get much out of Drai tonight. Connor needs to pick up the slack and show why he's one of the world's best players.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #2) [message #833479 is a reply to message #833478 ]
Fri, 10 May 2024 18:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rowan Oil Fielding  is currently offline Rowan Oil Fielding

No Cups

HamBlaster wrote on Sat, 11 May 2024 00:57

We'll be lucky if we get much out of Drai tonight. Connor needs to pick up the slack and show why he's one of the world's best players.

That's an understatement. We know he can pass the puck now is the time to start putting it in the bloody net.

https://i.postimg.cc/mZ9GD3V6/php2-CH3-Yf-AM.jpg

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #2) [message #833455 is a reply to message #833439 ]
Fri, 10 May 2024 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

4 Cups

MUST is on the wind and comin' to Van!
LFG OIL!! 🙂👍🏻
💥🤛🏻

https://j.gifs.com/KZgNMY.gif
https://media4.giphy.com/media/ch87uHxbcubHy3kIUq/giphy.gif?cid=6c09b9525r73e08sx5qq0uj3830wrtm6glwy0qli6ilgx8hp&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

[Updated on: Fri, 10 May 2024 13:24]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #2) [message #833456 is a reply to message #833455 ]
Fri, 10 May 2024 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Fri, 10 May 2024 13:20

MUST is on the wind and comin' to Van!
LFG OIL!! 🙂👍🏻
💥🤛🏻

https://j.gifs.com/KZgNMY.gif
https://media4.giphy.com/media/ch87uHxbcubHy3kIUq/giphy.gif?cid=6c09b9525r73e08sx5qq0uj3830wrtm6glwy0qli6ilgx8hp&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

No one can smell the MUST in the wind in Van City. Just East Hasting Street and human feces. Thankfully McDavid will pass on the message for us.

MUSTY!

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #2) [message #833466 is a reply to message #833456 ]
Fri, 10 May 2024 15:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I'd have Carrick in the line up over Brown. The Oilers got worked in the faceoff department. He gives them another guy to take them, he's good in the circles plus if Leon is comprised, less reliance on him to take draws in certain situations.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #2) [message #833467 is a reply to message #833466 ]
Fri, 10 May 2024 15:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 10 May 2024 15:29

I'd have Carrick in the line up over Brown. The Oilers got worked in the faceoff department. He gives them another guy to take them, he's good in the circles plus if Leon is comprised, less reliance on him to take draws in certain situations.

Issue with Carrick is that he is pretty bad at actual hockey.

I don't think this series is going to be all that physical where you need designated face punchers or guys just out there running around looking for hits. For sure the Canucks have big D that like to hit, but those D are still all trying to play hockey, trying to get the puck and start the transition. They aren't out there just chasing hits and trying to be bullies. They are using their size how they can to get their team back on offense.

Carrick is gonna struggle if the game is back and forth and skill and brains are gonna win. Connor Brown at least has a head on his shoulders that can read plays and at least have a chance to stay ahead of the play.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #2) [message #833468 is a reply to message #833467 ]
Fri, 10 May 2024 15:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 10 May 2024 15:40

I don't think this series is going to be all that physical where you need designated face punchers or guys just out there running around looking for hits. For sure the Canucks have big D that like to hit, but those D are still all trying to play hockey, trying to get the puck and start the transition. They aren't out there just chasing hits and trying to be bullies. They are using their size how they can to get their team back on offense.

Carrick is gonna struggle if the game is back and forth and skill and brains are gonna win. Connor Brown at least has a head on his shoulders that can read plays and at least have a chance to stay ahead of the play.

You are totally right, how stupid of me. Carrick can't play the 7:35 that Brown played last game. A guy that's scored 10 goals this year, can't play in the NHL in a 4th line role. That time on ice for Brown equals what, 3-4 shifts a period so Carrick can't possibly go up against Teddy Blueger. A guy who's 63% on faceoffs as an Oiler and over 50 % in his career, can't jump over the boards, take a faceoff in the dzone, then skate off the ice, just like Leon does every freaking game. No way, he could help take that job from Leon who might not be 100%

I stand corrected. Thanks Adam.. I mean KR55.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #2) [message #833470 is a reply to message #833468 ]
Fri, 10 May 2024 16:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 10 May 2024 15:56

You are totally right, how stupid of me. Carrick can't play the 7:35 that Brown played last game. A guy that's scored 10 goals this year, can't play in the NHL in a 4th line role. That time on ice for Brown equals what, 3-4 shifts a period so Carrick can't possibly go up against Teddy Blueger. A guy who's 63% on faceoffs as an Oiler and over 50 % in his career, can't jump over the boards, take a faceoff in the dzone, then skate off the ice, just like Leon does every freaking game. No way, he could help take that job from Leon who might not be 100%

Sometimes passive aggressive sarcasm does not translate in the written word. Good work.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #2) [message #833471 is a reply to message #833470 ]
Fri, 10 May 2024 16:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Fri, 10 May 2024 16:06

Sometimes passive aggressive sarcasm does not translate in the written word. Good work.

I wasn't asking Carrick to take Leon's spot in the top 6 and on the power play. I was asking him to take the spot on the right wing and replace a 4th liner who barely played and maybe jump in to take a few faceoffs from time to time. He's got 240 games of NHL experience to say he can do that role. So to say he's bad at hockey when I suggested he do the role he's been doing for years, is a stupid comment in my opinion and one you make when you want to be a smartass for no reason.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #2) [message #833472 is a reply to message #833471 ]
Fri, 10 May 2024 16:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 10 May 2024 16:11

I wasn't asking Carrick to take Leon's spot in the top 6 and on the power play. I was asking him to take the spot on the right wing and replace a 4th liner who barely played and maybe jump in to take a few faceoffs from time to time. He's got 240 games of NHL experience to say he can do that role. So to say he's bad at hockey when I suggested he do the role he's been doing for years, is a stupid comment in my opinion and one you make when you want to be a smartass for no reason.

Canucks have 2nd change, so Carrick can end up with shifts against good opposition on icings, or if they get hemmed in and Canucks can change on the fly. If the coach is too scared that the home team will get a favourable matchup against a player like Carrick that gets consistently dominated on possession, he might just stop playing him, which puts more strain on the rest of the lineup.

Ryan Reeves has loads of playoff hockey under his belt and the Leafs played him in the series thinking it could just be sparing and he could hit and fight. Reeves ended up being a star of some pretty ugly highlights of goals against. Carrick has the 4th highest GA/60 in the playoffs on our team in his limited ice time that should have just been against 4th liners. That's against a 1-line trap team.

There is no safe time in playoffs, especially in the top 8 of NHL playoffs, and against the Canucks that are almost always in attack mode in games. Any weak links get exposed and sink you against good teams. Carrick is not really the kind of player a serious contender typicaly has in their lineup is all I'm saying.

[Updated on: Fri, 10 May 2024 16:26]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #2) [message #833473 is a reply to message #833472 ]
Fri, 10 May 2024 16:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 10 May 2024 16:23

Canucks have 2nd change, so Carrick can end up with shifts against good opposition on icings, or if they get hemmed in and Canucks can change on the fly. If the coach is too scared that the home team will get a favourable matchup against a player like Carrick that gets consistently dominated on possession, he might just stop playing him, which puts more strain on the rest of the lineup.

Ryan Reeves has loads of playoff hockey under his belt and the Leafs played him in the series thinking it could just be sparing and he could hit and fight. Reeves ended up being a star of some pretty ugly highlights of goals against. Carrick has the 4th highest GA/60 in the playoffs on our team in his limited ice time that should have just been against 4th liners. That's against a 1-line trap team.

There is no safe time in playoffs, especially in the top 8 of NHL playoffs, and against the Canucks that are almost always in attack mode in games. Any weak links get exposed and sink you against good teams. Carrick is not really the kind of player a serious contender typicaly has in their lineup is all I'm saying.

Because Kolesar, who has a ring on his hand, was on Vegas because of his amazing shut down abilities and massive scoring touch. Maroon, and his 3 rings, he was on Tampa because of his blinding speed, defensive abilities and amazing skill. icon_rolleyes

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #2) [message #833474 is a reply to message #833473 ]
Fri, 10 May 2024 16:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I would assume since Leon was laughing about his availability tonight, he's playing.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #2) [message #833475 is a reply to message #833473 ]
Fri, 10 May 2024 16:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 10 May 2024 16:37

Because Kolesar, who has a ring on his hand, was on Vegas because of his amazing shut down abilities and massive scoring touch. Maroon, and his 3 rings, he was on Tampa because of his blinding speed, defensive abilities and amazing skill. icon_rolleyes

Carrick is not at all comparable to those players. In the Vegas system, the Carrick equivalent is probably in their AHL system, same with Boston. Kolesar gets very heavy defensive starts in Vegas and has had multiple >50% xGF seasons, even last year with 28% offensive zone starts which is pretty impressive.

Maroon is very long on the tooth now for sure. We have an equivalent in Corey Perry. Carrick has not shown or done anything similar to Maroon in his career. He's a 32 year old borderline 4th liner for a mediocre team. Maroon can at least still hold onto pucks in the offensive end and create some chances. I don't think I would want more than 1 Corey Perry type guy on my roster though, especially against a fast team. I don't think a serious playoff team would play any amount of Carricks unless they had injuries forcing them to.

[Updated on: Fri, 10 May 2024 16:55]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #2) [message #833476 is a reply to message #833475 ]
Fri, 10 May 2024 17:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

2 Cups

I don’t think it’s too complex. Play a full 60 mins and this is ours. Let’s go Oilers

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #2) [message #833480 is a reply to message #833476 ]
Fri, 10 May 2024 19:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DeZoE  is currently offline DeZoE

No Cups

Just pepper this kid. Break their confidence. Crush their will. An 8-1 win would be a nice way to even up this series.

I'm not wearing pants...

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #2) [message #833517 is a reply to message #833475 ]
Fri, 10 May 2024 20:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 10 May 2024 16:53

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 10 May 2024 16:37

Carrick is not at all comparable to those players. In the Vegas system, the Carrick equivalent is probably in their AHL system, same with Boston. Kolesar gets very heavy defensive starts in Vegas and has had multiple >50% xGF seasons, even last year with 28% offensive zone starts which is pretty impressive.

Maroon is very long on the tooth now for sure. We have an equivalent in Corey Perry. Carrick has not shown or done anything similar to Maroon in his career. He's a 32 year old borderline 4th liner for a mediocre team. Maroon can at least still hold onto pucks in the offensive end and create some chances. I don't think I would want more than 1 Corey Perry type guy on my roster though, especially against a fast team. I don't think a serious playoff team would play any amount of Carricks unless they had injuries forcing them to.

I gave you 2 examples of 4th liners on cup winning teams who are limited in their overall level of play and who's role is as a physical player. Of course you say they don't count.

I expect zero honesty from you but would it matter what player I listed?

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #2) [message #833618 is a reply to message #833471 ]
Sat, 11 May 2024 00:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Great deflection. That should count as a goal. I. Never said Carrick should not play. I was more commenting on your defensiveness.

I could read between your lines. Wild that you couldn’t read my message. So confused?

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #2) [message #833639 is a reply to message #833466 ]
Sat, 11 May 2024 12:39 Go to previous message

5 Cups

Tell me you base your… opinions… 100% on what Bob Stauffer says on air without telling me you base your opinions on what Stauff says.

Faceoffs. Bob is ALWAYS on about faceoffs.

And while you said comprised, it’s easy to see what you meant was compromised, which is something he has said roughly a dozen times re: Leon in the last couple days. Yes, Jack said it on air game 1 before Bob started using it religiously to describe Leon.

I get it. Bob’s radio show is one of the more accessible we have in this market. And heck, I’d prefer reading Bob regurgitation here than anything from Gregor. But my biggest gripe with reading your posts is just that. It’s unoriginal Stauffer propaganda, and when you do form your own opinions it leads you down the road of emotional replies.

I don’t hate you RD, I would actually very much enjoy meeting you someday and have a beer with you. I’d love to make that happen with every poster here. But my opinion is you would find yourself in less of these combative back and forth’s if you just shared your opinions rather than regurgitating what you heard from Bob.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #2) [message #833529 is a reply to message #833439 ]
Fri, 10 May 2024 21:37 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

Unlike RNH (sarcasm), it is nice to see RDOF has elevated his game for playoff hockey. Can you account for 33% of all replies in a thread? Can you account for 90% of bad hockey takes? 100% of times playing the victim card? Come on, you are doing well, but still have more to give, I believe in you

As I said and I will say it AGAIN ..... and I will say it AGAIN

Like I said,

Like I said, maybe others don't agree

a stupid comment in my opinion and one you make when you want to be a smartass for no reason

Of course you say they don't count.

I expect zero honesty from you but would it matter what player I listed?

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #2)
Next Topic:NHL Investigating Paul Coffey for gesture to fan
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca