This day on May 19
None

Happy Birthday To: Mooo, choirvandal, Drayden18, caLLshot, oilnut, Goose, Amanican, Fridge01, brandonoilfan

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 NHL » 2023-24 OOT ThreadPages (15): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: 2023-24 OOT Thread [message #833102 is a reply to message #833086 ]
Mon, 06 May 2024 21:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kungpaobenji27  is currently offline kungpaobenji27

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 06 May 2024 13:25

inverno76 wrote on Mon, 06 May 2024 12:05

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 06 May 2024 10:16

From all those years of Oilers - Dallas, I puked in my mouth a little as I was cheering for them to win but very happy they pulled it off.

Recency bias for me. As much as I despise Dallas, I hated the Mike Modano Stars more than the today's Knights. I am sure a series against Dallas this year will re-ignite my great dislike for the team and their ugly neon jerseys.

I probably dislike the Knights more than the Modano Dallas mostly because Dallas didn't do anything other than just playing the Oilers a lot and being better. I never liked how Dallas would get all the vet calls from the refs (that still happens with vet teams in my opinion) but at the end of the day, the Modano Dallas were in the era where there was no cap. Their owner was way richer and was able to spend on better players. So it wasn't anything the did other than beat my team a lot.

The Knights, I know they aren't technically breaking any rules but they are manipulating the rules a ton and I think abusing some loop holes. Because they aren't technically breaking any rules, they aren't technically cheating but the stuff they are doing in my opinion goes against the spirit of rules, it looks shady as hell and make the league look a little unethical. When you are reporting players as being injured, with expected time frames to be away from the game, but that player breaks all recorded recovery timeframes to be ready to play in the playoffs, just looks bad on the league and looks like they are cheating.

Yeah wouldn't say it was only their owner who had more money than ours...but moreso 25% of the league spending 60-80K annually on salaries whereas 75% including the Oilers were constantly shedding payroll every season....which didn't help matters any.

Imagine being able to add onto those 1997 and 1998 rosters that advanced to the 2nd round against any team in the early 2000s....good possibilities we all missed out on as drawing different teams in the first round instead of Dallas would've been more probable!

[Updated on: Mon, 06 May 2024 21:52]

Send a private message to this user  

Re: 2023-24 OOT Thread [message #833151 is a reply to message #825593 ]
Wed, 08 May 2024 02:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

Jacob Trouba goes headhunting and nearly cripples himself. What a d-bag. At what point does the league stop making excuses for this POS?

Re: 2023-24 OOT Thread [message #833153 is a reply to message #833151 ]
Wed, 08 May 2024 05:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Avs come back from 3 down to take game 1.

If we do get by Vancouver, who would people prefer to face?

I know the regular season doesn't mean much at this point, but we had a losing record against both. We did a little better against Colorado in the regular season (1-1-1, -1 goal diff vs 1-2-0, -5 goal diff), but not much to choose from.

Colorado certainly has the more potent guys at the top in Mackinnon, Rantanen, and Makar. But Dallas has to be one of the deepest teams ever - they had 9 guys with over 50 points. Thomas Harley (47pts) was just getting his feet wet in Oct-Nov. From Dec on, he put up 41pts in 61GP for a pace of 55. So let's say 10 50 point guys. They had 8 20 goal scorers. That has to be up there with some of the deepest teams in NHL history.

In goal, I think Oettinger has shown a higher ceiling. Like when he almost singlehandedly beat Calgary a couple of years ago (.954, 1.81GAA in a 7 game series), but I think both have been inconsistent at best the last couple of years.

Dunno - both are sure to be a challenge. Let's hope they beat each other up for 7 games.

Re: 2023-24 OOT Thread [message #833155 is a reply to message #833153 ]
Wed, 08 May 2024 05:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

1 Cup

Mike wrote on Wed, 08 May 2024 08:19

I know the regular season doesn't mean much at this point, but we had a losing record against both. We did a little better against Colorado in the regular season (1-1-1, -1 goal diff vs 1-2-0, -5 goal diff), but not much to choose from.

Colorado certainly has the more potent guys at the top in Mackinnon, Rantanen, and Makar. But Dallas has to be one of the deepest teams ever - they had 9 guys with over 50 points. Thomas Harley (47pts) was just getting his feet wet in Oct-Nov. From Dec on, he put up 41pts in 61GP for a pace of 55. So let's say 10 50 point guys. They had 8 20 goal scorers. That has to be up there with some of the deepest teams in NHL history.

In goal, I think Oettinger has shown a higher ceiling. Like when he almost singlehandedly beat Calgary a couple of years ago (.954, 1.81GAA in a 7 game series), but I think both have been inconsistent at best the last couple of years.

Dunno - both are sure to be a challenge. Let's hope they beat each other up for 7 games.

Avs definitely have more high end talent, but the Stars are just solid top to bottom. Plus they are WAY stronger in net. Given a choice I think I'd rather face the Avs. We always match up pretty well against them.

Re: 2023-24 OOT Thread [message #833159 is a reply to message #833155 ]
Wed, 08 May 2024 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Wed, 08 May 2024 06:24

Mike wrote on Wed, 08 May 2024 08:19

Avs definitely have more high end talent, but the Stars are just solid top to bottom. Plus they are WAY stronger in net. Given a choice I think I'd rather face the Avs. We always match up pretty well against them.

Very telling stat yesterday was 45 hits for the Avs and 20 for the Stars. Not only is it perpetual machine gun fire from Colorado...but they'll also beat you up in a street fight....that they themselves always initiate. Ask Winnipeg how they felt last round....

PS - still not happy about no retaliation from other Oilers players when Landeskog took out Yamamoto 2 yrs ago

Re: 2023-24 OOT Thread [message #833158 is a reply to message #833151 ]
Wed, 08 May 2024 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

NetBOG wrote on Wed, 08 May 2024 03:38

Jacob Trouba goes headhunting and nearly cripples himself. What a d-bag. At what point does the league stop making excuses for this POS?

And his skate almost clips that Canes player he fanned on....dude has all the tools in the world to be a Pietrangelo or Dougie Hamilton stats wise but is a perpetual underachiever who has to overcompensate by dishing out dirty hits...just to show that he cares.

Re: 2023-24 OOT Thread [message #833165 is a reply to message #833158 ]
Wed, 08 May 2024 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

So the players voted for the Lindsay:

Kucherov - Yup, I agree. Won the scoring title by 4 pts, 54 pts ahead of his next teammate. Only a +8 despite all those points. He carried their team all year. Played 81 games. No argument.

Mackinnon - Yup, I agree. Second by 4 to the scoring title. Scored 51 goals, first time he had 50. +35 in 82 games. 36 pts ahead of the second place guy on the team. The Avs didn't have a second line center until the deadline and still debatable. He was a huge reason for the Avs success and carried their team.

Matthews - 6th in the scoring race. 37 pts behind Kuch, 33 pts behind Mac, 25 pts behind McD. He did score a lot of goals but the team, just like the Caps do with Ovie, they sure try to set him up. 38 assists says he's not setting up that much. Only 9 pts ahead of the next guy on his team. The big thing for me. If he doesn't play, is the team screwed? The answer is no. Does he help, sure. But they showed in the playoffs they can win if they adjusted their game when he misses time.

He got voted in because of his goal scoring, he's a very good player but in the running for the best player in the NHL this year? No chance. Would I have McD there? Of course. But if not McD, my next pick would be Panarin who had a great season.

Re: 2023-24 OOT Thread [message #833166 is a reply to message #833165 ]
Wed, 08 May 2024 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

For all the talk about the Avs, they rely very, very heavily on 1 line. They play the absolute CRAP out of Nichushkin (27:00) - MacKinnon (26:54) - Rantanen (27:18).

The game went to OT so those numbers are inflated but the next closest forward was Lehkonen (22:02) who one of their main PK guys and the Avs took 4 penalties. After that, Mittlestadt played 17:55 and Parise was next at 14:20. So with OT, that means there was a large portion of their team that barely played each period.

I watched some of that game and at the time I didn't pay too much attention but when I think back, Mackinnon was on the ice every second shift. So if a team can find away to slow that line down some, you have a pretty good chance to beat the Avs because they don't seem to play the rest of their lines a lot.

Re: 2023-24 OOT Thread [message #833173 is a reply to message #833166 ]
Wed, 08 May 2024 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 08 May 2024 11:51

For all the talk about the Avs, they rely very, very heavily on 1 line. They play the absolute CRAP out of Nichushkin (27:00) - MacKinnon (26:54) - Rantanen (27:18).

The game went to OT so those numbers are inflated but the next closest forward was Lehkonen (22:02) who one of their main PK guys and the Avs took 4 penalties. After that, Mittlestadt played 17:55 and Parise was next at 14:20. So with OT, that means there was a large portion of their team that barely played each period.

I watched some of that game and at the time I didn't pay too much attention but when I think back, Mackinnon was on the ice every second shift. So if a team can find away to slow that line down some, you have a pretty good chance to beat the Avs because they don't seem to play the rest of their lines a lot.

^Watching that game last night, one cannot underestimate the Avs secondary lines. They didn't really chip in on the scoreboard until the OT winner but spent a good portion of the 2nd/3rd periods hemming the Stars big mobile puck moving D in their own zone. Stars didn't really get over 20 SOG until they found a rhythm in OT. If we want to be more precise, Dallas only registered 16 SOG in regulation as they racked up 6 dangerous chances in OT.

Avs secondary lines are fast, aggressive, and deceptively big. Majority of their 45 hits came from the forechecking of said secondary lines too. Along with Georgiev, they were definitely the unsung heroes of last night's OT win.

[Updated on: Wed, 08 May 2024 12:23]

Re: 2023-24 OOT Thread [message #833170 is a reply to message #833165 ]
Wed, 08 May 2024 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 08 May 2024 10:31

Kucherov - Yup, I agree. Won the scoring title by 4 pts, 54 pts ahead of his next teammate. Only a +8 despite all those points. He carried their team all year. Played 81 games. No argument.

Mackinnon - Yup, I agree. Second by 4 to the scoring title. Scored 51 goals, first time he had 50. +35 in 82 games. 36 pts ahead of the second place guy on the team. The Avs didn't have a second line center until the deadline and still debatable. He was a huge reason for the Avs success and carried their team.

Matthews - 6th in the scoring race. 37 pts behind Kuch, 33 pts behind Mac, 25 pts behind McD. He did score a lot of goals but the team, just like the Caps do with Ovie, they sure try to set him up. 38 assists says he's not setting up that much. Only 9 pts ahead of the next guy on his team. The big thing for me. If he doesn't play, is the team screwed? The answer is no. Does he help, sure. But they showed in the playoffs they can win if they adjusted their game when he misses time.

He got voted in because of his goal scoring, he's a very good player but in the running for the best player in the NHL this year? No chance. Would I have McD there? Of course. But if not McD, my next pick would be Panarin who had a great season.

Hard to say if players will pick Kuch or Nate. I think the Hart, Nate will just run away with the vote because it's "his turn" with the writers. Players seem to just pick who they actually think is best and both of those guys had outstanding seasons. I think Kuch actually had less help than MacKinnon. Tampa's core is starting to age, and he ended up with 54 more points than the 2nd highest Tampa scorer, while Nate had Rantanen and Makar playing some of the best hockey of their careers again when he was out on the ice. He had 36 more points than Rantanen, which is sitll great, but Kuch's spread is just crazy.

Matthews, meh, haha. Acknowledgement of his 69 goals (heh heh heh ... 69) with 3rd place votes while everyone voting knows it's just a 2 horse race.

McDavid had an off year, everyone knows it. He's won plenty. People can save him having another great year to bring back the praise. There was nothing really standout about his year. 100 assists would have been neat, but Kuch did it too.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: 2023-24 OOT Thread [message #833181 is a reply to message #833170 ]
Wed, 08 May 2024 16:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 08 May 2024 12:02

Hard to say if players will pick Kuch or Nate. I think the Hart, Nate will just run away with the vote because it's "his turn" with the writers. Players seem to just pick who they actually think is best and both of those guys had outstanding seasons. I think Kuch actually had less help than MacKinnon. Tampa's core is starting to age, and he ended up with 54 more points than the 2nd highest Tampa scorer, while Nate had Rantanen and Makar playing some of the best hockey of their careers again when he was out on the ice. He had 36 more points than Rantanen, which is sitll great, but Kuch's spread is just crazy.

Matthews, meh, haha. Acknowledgement of his 69 goals (heh heh heh ... 69) with 3rd place votes while everyone voting knows it's just a 2 horse race.

McDavid had an off year, everyone knows it. He's won plenty. People can save him having another great year to bring back the praise. There was nothing really standout about his year. 100 assists would have been neat, but Kuch did it too.

The challenge for McDavid is always that after you've won as much as he has, then people just expect him to be really good. The level of excellence is greater, so if there's an excuse to vote for someone else, players and media will.

Worth noting, McDavid has 4 Lindsays - that ties him with Lemieux for the second most ever, and only one behind Gretzky (both won the Pearson, but same difference). While I think media are more likely to want to just give out Harts because it is a player's "turn", I still think that familiarity works against even the best players.

There's a few crazy stats about the Lindsay/Pearson:

- Orr only won it once - Esposito had twice as many as him!
- The Oilers have won it more than anyone with 11 winners - Gretz x 5, McD x 4, Messier & Draisaitl 1 each
- Penguins have 2nd most with 10 - Mario x 4, Crosby x 3, Jagr x 2 (he'd win another with the Rangers) and Malkin with 1
- No one else has more than 4 (Montreal - Lafleur x 3 and Price x 1) which means that in the 52 years it has been given out, the Oilers and Pens have held the trophy over 40% of the time.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: 2023-24 OOT Thread [message #833182 is a reply to message #833181 ]
Wed, 08 May 2024 16:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi is currently online CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 08 May 2024 16:02

...which means that in the 52 years it has been given out, the Oilers and Pens have held the trophy over 40% of the time.

Of all the things that were stolen from my childhood, I'm most upset that we didn't get a Pens-Oilers final.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: 2023-24 OOT Thread [message #833394 is a reply to message #833182 ]
Thu, 09 May 2024 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 08 May 2024 19:09

...which means that in the 52 years it has been given out, the Oilers and Pens have held the trophy over 40% of the time.

Of all the things that were stolen from my childhood, I'm most upset that we didn't get a Pens-Oilers final.

Stupid North Stars.

Re: 2023-24 OOT Thread [message #833396 is a reply to message #833394 ]
Thu, 09 May 2024 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi is currently online CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Thu, 09 May 2024 09:27

Stupid North Stars.

Right? They stole 91 from us, wasted the opportunity, then became Dallas and did what the Stars did to us.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: 2023-24 OOT Thread [message #833398 is a reply to message #833396 ]
Thu, 09 May 2024 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

In other news which is probably a surprise to no one, Sheldon Keefe was relieved of his duties.

Re: 2023-24 OOT Thread [message #833407 is a reply to message #833398 ]
Thu, 09 May 2024 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Thu, 09 May 2024 09:37

In other news which is probably a surprise to no one, Sheldon Keefe was relieved of his duties.

Firing Keefe was the easiest thing to do. He hasn't been able to get the most out of his players especially in the playoffs when the games get hard.

That being said, the roster make up is flawed and has been flawed since they brought on Tavares.

Going into this playoff, they have just over 40 mill in 4 forwards (Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Nylander). That's almost 50% of the cap. Next year it stays around that 50% bumping up to 46.653. Both Marner and Tavares are going into the last years of their deals. At Marners age and given his regular season production, it's pretty unlikely he will get a pay cut. So even if you let him walk, you still need a replacement for the second line center position. So once again, they will have over 40 mill invested in 4 guys and not one is a high end dman or goalie.

So I think they need to move on from one of those 4.

Re: 2023-24 OOT Thread [message #833432 is a reply to message #833398 ]
Thu, 09 May 2024 16:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Thu, 09 May 2024 09:37

The org realizing that Keefe wasn't playing a top 3 defensive forward in the entire NHL on his 23rd place PK (and 64.7% in playoffs) probably was the final nail in the coffin.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: 2023-24 OOT Thread [message #833422 is a reply to message #833394 ]
Thu, 09 May 2024 15:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Thu, 09 May 2024 09:27

Stupid North Stars.

Stupid Pocklington. If we'd had a better owner who didn't bankrupt himself we probably have another few years of Gretzky. If 99 doesn't leave, then the rest of the exodus is at least delayed too.

Honestly, I think some would have gone eventually, because Sather drove them hard and some of them needed to go out on their own at some point, but I bet we keep the core together until 1993 or 1994 at least - and without Gretz, we won the Cup in 1990 and got to the semi-finals in '91 & '92 (the latter without just the spoils from the trade exodus driving us there). 1993, Oilers West (LA Kings) went to the Finals and 1994 it was Oilers East that won the Cup.

In the alternate universe where the Gretzky trade doesn't happen, there's almost certainly one or two epic 99 vs. 66 finals.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: 2023-24 OOT Thread [message #833183 is a reply to message #833170 ]
Wed, 08 May 2024 16:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 08 May 2024 12:02

Funny how McD's "off year" makes it so he's behind the scoring title by only 12 pts and he missed 6 games vs Kuch missed 1 game and Mac none. I am not upset McD didn't get nominated. He's won 4 already and seems to be more on a mission of the cup vs individual awards which is what I want to see.

I am more annoyed about Matthews considering how far back he is from the scoring title.

What I find also a joke is how they came up with the Selke? All East nominees so apparently no West center is worthy?

Barkov? Sure. He's got the rep. 73 games. 80 pts. +33. 57.3% on draws.

Matthews. Ummm.... I guess. Don't really put defense and his name in the same sentence but 107 pts, +31. 53.5 on draws. I don't really know how they decide but sure.

JORDAN STAAL!! How in the f was he picked!!!?
You have to go to page 6 in the stats to find him because he only had 30 pts. He was 58.1% on draws which is good but -14!! I know +/- isn't a perfect stat but how the hell can you be called a good defensive center if are on for more goals against than scored!

What's wrong with Leon? 106 pts, +26, 56.9% on draws.

Re: 2023-24 OOT Thread [message #833433 is a reply to message #825593 ]
Thu, 09 May 2024 17:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Canes finally have a playoff performer on their team. Too bad it's still only 1 guy though (Guentzel). Probably not enough still to be more than a regular season wonder team.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: 2023-24 OOT Thread [message #833434 is a reply to message #833433 ]
Thu, 09 May 2024 17:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 09 May 2024 18:32

Canes finally have a playoff performer on their team. Too bad it's still only 1 guy though (Guentzel). Probably not enough still to be more than a regular season wonder team.

And they're likely not winning a game at MSG....as he probably won't resign with Carolina either

Re: 2023-24 OOT Thread [message #833436 is a reply to message #825593 ]
Thu, 09 May 2024 21:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

I hope the Oilers respond like Dallas has.

Re: 2023-24 OOT Thread [message #833437 is a reply to message #833436 ]
Thu, 09 May 2024 23:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Thu, 09 May 2024 21:57

I take it you wrote this before they collapsed and almost blew it?

Re: 2023-24 OOT Thread [message #833442 is a reply to message #833437 ]
Fri, 10 May 2024 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 10 May 2024 00:16

NetBOG wrote on Thu, 09 May 2024 21:57

I take it you wrote this before they collapsed and almost blew it?

Interesting game...I think the Avs were worn out at the start of game 2 and didn't take the body as much. Maybe the Stars depth wearing on the Avs?

Oddly enough, Avs were finally laying the body again in the third period...likely pissed about the Benn hit on Toews...even Cogliano & Makar were going after a much bigger dude in Benn as that hit ignited them.

Should be a helluva series...keeping track of the mileage on their bodies.

Re: 2023-24 OOT Thread [message #833448 is a reply to message #833442 ]
Fri, 10 May 2024 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Shanny must have some mind control over Leafs brass or some serious dirt. He's been the Pres for 10 yrs.

He's on his 4th GM. Nonis was there when he took the job so he didn't hire him but he fired him a year later. Lou took over for 3 years. Shanny hired him then fired him after 3 years. Then he hired Dubas and had him for 5 yrs before he fired him. Now he's hired Tre last year.

Coaches, he had Carlyle, Babcock, Keefe. So he will be going on his 4th coach. He would have had a hand in hiring and firing all 3 of them.

That's crazy. I have to think some trades will come because if they think just firing the coach and rolling back the same supremely flawed roster will work is nuts to me.

Re: 2023-24 OOT Thread [message #833452 is a reply to message #833448 ]
Fri, 10 May 2024 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Entertainingly, the New Jersey Devils have already asked to interview Sheldon Keefe. The NHL's first instinct is always to recycle coaches - although that's a pretty quick turn of the wheel!

Re: 2023-24 OOT Thread [message #833839 is a reply to message #833436 ]
Mon, 13 May 2024 22:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Casade  is currently offline Casade

No Cups

Dallas destroyed Colorado this evening. On the road.

Re: 2023-24 OOT Thread [message #833844 is a reply to message #833839 ]
Mon, 13 May 2024 23:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Casade wrote on Mon, 13 May 2024 22:27

Dallas looking stacked. And group of vets pushed over the top by Paul Coffey's disciple Wyatt pushing offense all night long.

Never know what will happen but Dallas looks like they are a class above our little series out west.

Colorado looked deflated. Basically lost their equivalent of Hyman for half a year.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: 2023-24 OOT Thread [message #834040 is a reply to message #833844 ]
Wed, 15 May 2024 21:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 14 May 2024 00:40

Dallas looking stacked. And group of vets pushed over the top by Paul Coffey's disciple Wyatt pushing offense all night long.

Never know what will happen but Dallas looks like they are a class above our little series out west.

Colorado looked deflated. Basically lost their equivalent of Hyman for half a year.

Avs extend series..hoping this goes 7 with more wear & tear on both teams.

Re: 2023-24 OOT Thread [message #834041 is a reply to message #834040 ]
Wed, 15 May 2024 21:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

kungpaobenji27 wrote on Wed, 15 May 2024 21:08

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 14 May 2024 00:40

Avs extend series..hoping this goes 7 with more wear & tear on both teams.

I was really hoping for a long OT game.

Re: 2023-24 OOT Thread [message #833640 is a reply to message #825593 ]
Sat, 11 May 2024 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Didn't notice this during the game, but it was really weird how Marchand went down after this missed hit.

Makes sense now,

https://x.com/jasondemers5/status/1789324653028102462

Bennett with one of the sneakiest punches I've seen in a game. It's Marchand though, so no biggie :)

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: 2023-24 OOT Thread [message #833649 is a reply to message #833640 ]
Sat, 11 May 2024 18:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 11 May 2024 13:30

Didn't notice this during the game, but it was really weird how Marchand went down after this missed hit.

Makes sense now,

https://x.com/jasondemers5/status/1789324653028102462

Bennett with one of the sneakiest punches I've seen in a game. It's Marchand though, so no biggie :)

Oh that’s greasy; I didn’t see that either!

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: 2023-24 OOT Thread [message #833653 is a reply to message #825593 ]
Sat, 11 May 2024 21:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Avs 0-3 on the PP...hit a few posts...players getting frustrated...down 2-1 against Dallas despite outplaying & out hitting them. Seems as if their forwards are crashing the net with too much speed bc Oettinger is giving up plenty of juicy rebounds that they're not capitalizing on.

Should be helluva 3rd period...best series in terms of physicality and quality of play in the conference semis

Re: 2023-24 OOT Thread [message #833663 is a reply to message #833653 ]
Sun, 12 May 2024 15:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

4 Cups

kungpaobenji27 wrote on Sat, 11 May 2024 20:56

Avs 0-3 on the PP...hit a few posts...players getting frustrated...down 2-1 against Dallas despite outplaying & out hitting them. Seems as if their forwards are crashing the net with too much speed bc Oettinger is giving up plenty of juicy rebounds that they're not capitalizing on.

Should be helluva 3rd period...best series in terms of physicality and quality of play in the conference semis

I've been watching that series.. both teams with awesome defences .. Dallas has this kid big Harley.. skates well.. does it all.. .. probably their top D man with Heiskenen

Both goalies lights out as well.

Tanev is doing well for them.. good trade.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: 2023-24 OOT Thread [message #833830 is a reply to message #833663 ]
Mon, 13 May 2024 19:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Wow...Nichushkin placed on the NHL recovery program right in the middle of the playoffs.

Didn't he miss playoff games last year too for a similar reason? Hope he gets the help he obviously needs.

Re: 2023-24 OOT Thread [message #833831 is a reply to message #833830 ]
Mon, 13 May 2024 19:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Mon, 13 May 2024 18:23

Wow...Nichushkin placed on the NHL recovery program right in the middle of the playoffs.

Didn't he miss playoff games last year too for a similar reason? Hope he gets the help he obviously needs.

Here's a tweet from Seravelli..
The guy is a force for the Avs.. he really stiffed that team man.. two years he's done it.. middle of playoffs.. nothing they can do roster wise.. he's on their top line.. and PP
.. strong like bull.. smart like tractor..

Quote:

@frank_seravalli

Avs forward Val Nichushkin has been suspended without pay for a minimum 6 months for violating terms of NHL/NHLPA Player Assistance Program.

Sources say Nichushkin recently failed a drug test. He missed playoff games last year after a 911 call in Seattle in which an intoxicated woman was found in his room.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: 2023-24 OOT Thread [message #833833 is a reply to message #825593 ]
Mon, 13 May 2024 20:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Canes surviving again. I think Shesterkin went a few dozen playoff games straight not allowing more than 3 goals and now he just allowed 4 a couple games in a row. Would be nice to see that one go 7.

Massive blow to the Avs losing their top goal scorer and one of their.best 2-way forwards. Maybe we know the source of Nichushkin's power. But he needs to not get caught.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: 2023-24 OOT Thread [message #833836 is a reply to message #825593 ]
Mon, 13 May 2024 21:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Hintz taken out with a Nate cross check right to his wrist. Cross checks going wild this year. Obviously the worst of them was Nurse's little push last game in a puck battle.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: 2023-24 OOT Thread [message #833837 is a reply to message #833836 ]
Mon, 13 May 2024 22:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 13 May 2024 20:35

Hintz taken out with a Nate cross check right to his wrist. Cross checks going wild this year. Obviously the worst of them was Nurse's little push last game in a puck battle.

#Rooney #Embarrassment

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: 2023-24 OOT Thread [message #834073 is a reply to message #825593 ]
Thu, 16 May 2024 16:27 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

4 Cups

Brad Marchand talking about the playoffs.. just saying what everyone knows is the truth.
Maybe as a public relations gesture NHL refs are instructed to tighten up a bit more tonight?

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/news/boston-bruins-brad-marchan d-part-of-the-playoffs-is-trying-to-hurt-other-players

"..Marchand continued, “People don’t want to say it but part of the playoff is trying to hurt every player on the other team. And the more guys you take out, the more advantage your team has. People don’t say that, but that’s just a fact of the game. So every time you step on the ice, someone is trying to hurt someone and that’s just how it goes in the playoffs. That’s part of the benefit of having a physical group. That’s why you see teams go the distance with a big D-core and physical teams. And it’s why you rarely see teams that are small and skilled go far, because they get hurt...”

[Updated on: Thu, 16 May 2024 16:29]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: 2023-24 OOT Thread [message #834288 is a reply to message #834073 ]
Fri, 17 May 2024 13:10 Go to previous message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 16 May 2024 16:27

Brad Marchand talking about the playoffs.. just saying what everyone knows is the truth.
Maybe as a public relations gesture NHL refs are instructed to tighten up a bit more tonight?

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/news/boston-bruins-brad-marchan d-part-of-the-playoffs-is-trying-to-hurt-other-players

"..Marchand continued, “People don’t want to say it but part of the playoff is trying to hurt every player on the other team. And the more guys you take out, the more advantage your team has. People don’t say that, but that’s just a fact of the game. So every time you step on the ice, someone is trying to hurt someone and that’s just how it goes in the playoffs. That’s part of the benefit of having a physical group. That’s why you see teams go the distance with a big D-core and physical teams. And it’s why you rarely see teams that are small and skilled go far, because they get hurt...”

Obvious follow-up question that NHL media guys would never think to ask - should that really be what we're striving for?

Pages (15): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  >  »]  
Next Topic:Attendance issues in Winnipeg?
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca