This day on May 19
None

Happy Birthday To: Mooo, choirvandal, Drayden18, caLLshot, oilnut, Goose, Amanican, Fridge01, brandonoilfan

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 NHL » 2024 NHL Draft Lottery Results - Sharks #1
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 2024 NHL Draft Lottery Results - Sharks #1 [message #833147]
Tue, 07 May 2024 18:20 Go to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

https://www.nhl.com/news/san-jose-sharks-win-lottery-for-top -pick-in-2024-nhl-draft

Lottery done. Sharks get #1. Think it is just exact match of the standings order for the non playoff teams.

2024 NHL DRAFT ORDER
1. San Jose Sharks
2. Chicago Blackhawks
3. Anaheim Ducks
4. Columbus Blue Jackets
5. Montreal Canadiens
6. Utah
7. Ottawa Senators
8. Seattle Kraken
9. Calgary Flames
10. New Jersey Devils
11. Buffalo Sabres
12. Philadelphia Flyers
13. Minnesota Wild
14. San Jose Sharks (from Pittsburgh Penguins)
15. Detroit Red Wings
16. St. Louis Blues

[Updated on: Tue, 07 May 2024 18:24]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Send a private message to this user  

Re: 2024 NHL Draft Lottery Results - Sharks #1 [message #833148 is a reply to message #833147 ]
Tue, 07 May 2024 20:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
benv  is currently offline benv

No Cups

Perusing the internet today, I saw an idea for the draft lottery that I thought was brilliant (I can't remember where I saw it, or I would credit the author).

The sixteen non-playoff teams each draft one of the sixteen playoff teams (last place team gets first pick going up from there). Team that drafts the cup winner gets first overall pick.

I love that this gives the fans of all the non-playoff teams a team to route for in the playoffs. You can even make it determine the whole first 16 picks: final loser gets pick 2, semi-finalists get picks 3-4 etc.

Watching the teams pick their playoff teams would be a much more fun spectacle as well. You'd have teams maybe not wanting to pick their natural rivals (how hard would it be for the Flames to pick the Oilers).

Anyway I never heard this before and I have to say I love it! The one potential flaw is when a team in the playoffs owns one of the picks of the non-playoff teams--that might complicate things (although this is rare).

Re: 2024 NHL Draft Lottery Results - Sharks #1 [message #833428 is a reply to message #833148 ]
Thu, 09 May 2024 16:44 Go to previous message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

benv wrote on Tue, 07 May 2024 20:09

Perusing the internet today, I saw an idea for the draft lottery that I thought was brilliant (I can't remember where I saw it, or I would credit the author).

The sixteen non-playoff teams each draft one of the sixteen playoff teams (last place team gets first pick going up from there). Team that drafts the cup winner gets first overall pick.

I love that this gives the fans of all the non-playoff teams a team to route for in the playoffs. You can even make it determine the whole first 16 picks: final loser gets pick 2, semi-finalists get picks 3-4 etc.

Watching the teams pick their playoff teams would be a much more fun spectacle as well. You'd have teams maybe not wanting to pick their natural rivals (how hard would it be for the Flames to pick the Oilers).

Anyway I never heard this before and I have to say I love it! The one potential flaw is when a team in the playoffs owns one of the picks of the non-playoff teams--that might complicate things (although this is rare).

Interesting idea. Wonder if we can be kinder to the really crappy teams. Maybe only the top 6 teams can participate in the team lottery for the #1 OA. Bottom 4 teams gets 3 picks each, others get 2 picks. Worst teams get the first shot at favorites and should still have a really good chance, but leaves all kinds of opportunity for surprises.

Maybe rest of non-playoff teams can have their own picking for a 5 spot jump. 7th place team could jump to #2 pick if they are lucky.

Definitely ways they could make it all more interesting. I kinda like that the teams themselves would have some non-luck based control.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: 2024 NHL Draft Lottery Results - Sharks #1 [message #833420 is a reply to message #833147 ]
Thu, 09 May 2024 15:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rutuu  is currently offline Rutuu

No Cups

Taking a 5yr outlook on the team, we should be lobbying for the current lottery to be abolished in favour of the old lottery system that we benefited from. I mean the current lottery system only exists because of us, so maybe we can go back to the old one right when we'll need it it again.

Previous Topic:Soucy & Zadorov attack on McDavid, and FLA goal
Next Topic:RIP Bob Cole 1933-2024
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca