This day on May 19
None

Happy Birthday To: Mooo, choirvandal, Drayden18, caLLshot, oilnut, Goose, Amanican, Fridge01, brandonoilfan

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » WCSF - VAN (D1) vs. EDM (D2)Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: WCSF - VAN (D1) vs. EDM (D2) [message #833128 is a reply to message #833119 ]
Tue, 07 May 2024 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Tue, 07 May 2024 11:08

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 07 May 2024 13:52

All I am seeing from Vancouver rn in Tocchet talking about the league cracking down on diving, and their media talking about how many calls we got against LA. Flashbacks of lead up to the Duck series in 2017.

I know outsiders will say we are biased (which we are), but for years I really feel like 'Ive seen teams get away with stuff only to see us get called for not even half as bad an infraction right after. I've seen video reviews inexplicably go against us. The Makar offside and one of the worst ones ever, the Talbot one in the other thread amongst many others. Or last year - Nurse getting a game for getting punched in the face and Pietrangelo getting the same 1 game for trying to maliciously chop off Leon's arm...

That LA series is the first one in forever that I feel calls were pretty fair. I was surprised at a few calls that went against LA, I felt we got away with a few compared to previous years. I was shocked they counted Leon's goal. I loved Hrudey crying about it after, but I really didn't think they were to count it.

Maybe the Kings got screwed like I'm hearing from a lot of places, but I really saw it as pretty even. confused2 I'll take more of the same

The Kings tried to hook and hold and the league called it for once - well, some of it. And they didn't feel like they needed to even it up without the Oilers doing the same level of infractions. But we're definitely seeing Tocchet go full 2017 Carlyle in the lead-up and that's a clear indication on what he feels the best way to stop 97 and 29 is.

Here's hoping the NHL won't fall for it, although I don't have a lot of faith in the refs...If they DO fall for it? Then hopefully our coach isn't scared of a little fine if our stars are getting mugged and we aren't getting the calls. Sometimes you have to play the game too...the Oilers tend to think we're above all that - which usually goes poorly for us.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Send a private message to this user  

Re: WCSF - VAN (D1) vs. EDM (D2) [message #833130 is a reply to message #833128 ]
Tue, 07 May 2024 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 07 May 2024 11:51

All I am seeing from Vancouver rn in Tocchet talking about the league cracking down on diving, and their media talking about how many calls we got against LA. Flashbacks of lead up to the Duck series in 2017.

I know outsiders will say we are biased (which we are), but for years I really feel like 'Ive seen teams get away with stuff only to see us get called for not even half as bad an infraction right after. I've seen video reviews inexplicably go against us. The Makar offside and one of the worst ones ever, the Talbot one in the other thread amongst many others. Or last year - Nurse getting a game for getting punched in the face and Pietrangelo getting the same 1 game for trying to maliciously chop off Leon's arm...

That LA series is the first one in forever that I feel calls were pretty fair. I was surprised at a few calls that went against LA, I felt we got away with a few compared to previous years. I was shocked they counted Leon's goal. I loved Hrudey crying about it after, but I really didn't think they were to count it.

Maybe the Kings got screwed like I'm hearing from a lot of places, but I really saw it as pretty even. confused2 I'll take more of the same

The Kings tried to hook and hold and the league called it for once - well, some of it. And they didn't feel like they needed to even it up without the Oilers doing the same level of infractions. But we're definitely seeing Tocchet go full 2017 Carlyle in the lead-up and that's a clear indication on what he feels the best way to stop 97 and 29 is.

Here's hoping the NHL won't fall for it, although I don't have a lot of faith in the refs...If they DO fall for it? Then hopefully our coach isn't scared of a little fine if our stars are getting mugged and we aren't getting the calls. Sometimes you have to play the game too...the Oilers tend to think we're above all that - which usually goes poorly for us.

Coach K doesn't strike me as a guy to turn the Knob on the stove to heat up the refs.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: WCSF - VAN (D1) vs. EDM (D2) [message #833131 is a reply to message #833130 ]
Tue, 07 May 2024 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 07 May 2024 12:00

Coach K doesn't strike me as a guy to turn the Knob on the stove to heat up the refs.

We've had several coaches in a row who believed that they shouldn't say anything controversial in the media ever. Honestly, there's a line there - it isn't a tool that you should use all the time, but if I was coaching and someone spoke about our team getting the calls, I would address it at the next opportunity, laugh about it and say specifically that it sure sounds like their game plan will be to foul players a lot and hope that the refs feel guilty about calling too many penalties - and that you expect NHL refs are too smart to fall for that. The coach can't just be above the fray and leave the team to just hope that it works out.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: WCSF - VAN (D1) vs. EDM (D2) [message #833132 is a reply to message #833131 ]
Tue, 07 May 2024 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 07 May 2024 12:06

We've had several coaches in a row who believed that they shouldn't say anything controversial in the media ever. Honestly, there's a line there - it isn't a tool that you should use all the time, but if I was coaching and someone spoke about our team getting the calls, I would address it at the next opportunity, laugh about it and say specifically that it sure sounds like their game plan will be to foul players a lot and hope that the refs feel guilty about calling too many penalties - and that you expect NHL refs are too smart to fall for that. The coach can't just be above the fray and leave the team to just hope that it works out.

I 100% agree, and MAYBE our past coaches have had the convo with the head series official, but WHY NOT cast a stone in a presser? Other coaches around the league do it with ease... There's a game within the game for players and coaches, which is a game Oilers coaches seemingly just concede.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: WCSF - VAN (D1) vs. EDM (D2) [message #833134 is a reply to message #833131 ]
Tue, 07 May 2024 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

It's too bad, because the league has shown time and time again that the squeaky wheel gets the grease. There are zero points for silence. Carlyle complained that McDavid was getting special treatment in round 1, we said nothing, and got to enjoy 7 games of Kesler riding on his back and the refs acting scared to call any of it.

Comparison to the Ducks though, do the Canucks have players that do what Kesler or Danault tried to do? Miller, Boeser, Hughes, Hronek were Mcdavid's top opposition against the Canucks. I don't know if we're gonna pay for silence as much in terms of guys being draped all over McDavid. I think the Canucks wish is simply to keep us off the PP in general, and hopefully end up with more PP opportunities in the series (or own silence can help with that if the Canucks can keep drawing calls like they have over the last years). Guess we will see how game 1 goes, but Canucks have to feel some confidence that they can win a 5v5 battle against us (13-3 goals in regular season). IIRC, Counter attacking off us being too aggressive and stretched out defensively got the Canucks a lot of goals against us this season.

[Updated on: Tue, 07 May 2024 12:36]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: WCSF - VAN (D1) vs. EDM (D2) [message #833136 is a reply to message #833134 ]
Tue, 07 May 2024 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 07 May 2024 12:25

It's too bad, because the league has shown time and time again that the squeaky wheel gets the grease. There are zero points for silence. Carlyle complained that McDavid was getting special treatment in round 1, we said nothing, and got to enjoy 7 games of Kesler riding on his back and the refs acting scared to call any of it.

Comparison to the Ducks though, do the Canucks have players that do what Kesler or Danault tried to do? Miller, Boeser, Hughes, Hronek were Mcdavid's top opposition against the Canucks. I don't know if we're gonna pay for silence as much in terms of guys being draped all over McDavid. I think the Canucks wish is simply to keep us off the PP in general, and hopefully end up with more PP opportunities in the series (or own silence can help with that if the Canucks can keep drawing calls like they have over the last years). Guess we will see how game 1 goes, but Canucks have to feel some confidence that they can win a 5v5 battle against us (13-3 goals in regular season). IIRC, Counter attacking off us being too aggressive and stretched out defensively got the Canucks a lot of goals against us this season.

Feel we'll see Miller draped over McDavid every time he's on the ice

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: WCSF - VAN (D1) vs. EDM (D2) [message #833142 is a reply to message #833136 ]
Tue, 07 May 2024 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 07 May 2024 12:47

Has Miller ever been a defensive guy? I think he's about as good defensively as McDavid is. These guys push offense to not have to play defense. Tocchet is still getting that high effort level from guys (probably dies off as time goes on, but he's still fresh in their ears this season), so they will pressure puck carriers hard, but don't think Canucks are going to be preoccupied by defense and sacrificing guys as shadows. They will want to attack just as much as us. I think at least, finally get to see tomorrow.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: WCSF - VAN (D1) vs. EDM (D2) [message #833143 is a reply to message #833142 ]
Tue, 07 May 2024 15:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 07 May 2024 14:28

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 07 May 2024 12:47

Has Miller ever been a defensive guy? I think he's about as good defensively as McDavid is. These guys push offense to not have to play defense. Tocchet is still getting that high effort level from guys (probably dies off as time goes on, but he's still fresh in their ears this season), so they will pressure puck carriers hard, but don't think Canucks are going to be preoccupied by defense and sacrificing guys as shadows. They will want to attack just as much as us. I think at least, finally get to see tomorrow.

They have some big annoying defencemen who'll probably play designated muggers. Zadorov and Myers are both huge. And expect Ian Cole will be all over McDavid like he's a teenage girl.

EDIT - I have no idea if they'll use Cole in a shutdown role, but hard to pass up that shot at him. See, it isn't just the Oilers that hire the more despicable players!

[Updated on: Tue, 07 May 2024 15:52]

Re: WCSF - VAN (D1) vs. EDM (D2) [message #833117 is a reply to message #833113 ]
Tue, 07 May 2024 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 07 May 2024 11:53

August hockey was great, but that was an... extraordinary circumstance. Year after year, June after June I want to get on with my summer.

I mean get on with your summer. And then at night if the Oilers are still in it, you get to watch some hockey at the beach or whatever drink rasta rock

I know it'll never happen, but there could be benefits to starting the season a couple of months later. No competition with MLB playoffs and the NFL to start the season, no NBA playoffs at the end of the season. You run it Jan-Sep.

Dropping the puck 20 minutes after the start time. They're outsmarting themselves. They make it really hard to follow the playoffs.

This one annoys me. With baseball, they have a start time, and unless there are extenuating circumstances, they stick to it. To the minute. Want to have all your ceremonies and banner raisings and whatever else? Awesome - have it done before the stated "puck drop" time.

Re: WCSF - VAN (D1) vs. EDM (D2) [message #833120 is a reply to message #833117 ]
Tue, 07 May 2024 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Tue, 07 May 2024 10:55

August hockey was great, but that was an... extraordinary circumstance. Year after year, June after June I want to get on with my summer.

I mean get on with your summer. And then at night if the Oilers are still in it, you get to watch some hockey at the beach or whatever drink rasta rock

I know it'll never happen, but there could be benefits to starting the season a couple of months later. No competition with MLB playoffs and the NFL to start the season, no NBA playoffs at the end of the season. You run it Jan-Sep.

Dropping the puck 20 minutes after the start time. They're outsmarting themselves. They make it really hard to follow the playoffs.

This one annoys me. With baseball, they have a start time, and unless there are extenuating circumstances, they stick to it. To the minute. Want to have all your ceremonies and banner raisings and whatever else? Awesome - have it done before the stated "puck drop" time.

That's why I think starting playoffs the week after the first round of March Madness would be prime time. No real competition except regular season basketball and opening day. Now they're fighting for time with playoff basketball, regular season baseball, and me wanting to golf. Of course I'll watch the Oilers in the Stanley Cup any time anywhere. My mom, to this day, is pissy about a SCF game on her wedding day... all the men were hiding in the kitchen watching the third on a black and white. The rest of the league? Feh, I'd rather golf.

Just tell me the game is starting at 8:50. If I'm watching, I'm watching. It's so so pointlessly dumb.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: WCSF - VAN (D1) vs. EDM (D2) [message #833123 is a reply to message #833117 ]
Tue, 07 May 2024 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I don't know if you'd want to play a lot of hockey in Vegas and Dallas and Florida and Utah in July and August. Some of those places have a hard enough time with the ice in Winter!

Re: WCSF - VAN (D1) vs. EDM (D2) [message #833125 is a reply to message #833123 ]
Tue, 07 May 2024 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 07 May 2024 11:21

I don't know if you'd want to play a lot of hockey in Vegas and Dallas and Florida and Utah in July and August. Some of those places have a hard enough time with the ice in Winter!

Their ice is bad enough in May and June. Our ice gets bad in April and May. The league doesn't care about ice.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: WCSF - VAN (D1) vs. EDM (D2) [message #833121 is a reply to message #833043 ]
Tue, 07 May 2024 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

According to a notification on my phone Demko is out until at least game 5. Will there be a game 5? Dunno. Demko might be out for the season.

One time for Thatcher Demko
(yeah yeah)

Re: WCSF - VAN (D1) vs. EDM (D2) [message #833122 is a reply to message #833121 ]
Tue, 07 May 2024 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 07 May 2024 14:14

According to a notification on my phone Demko is out until at least game 5. Will there be a game 5? Dunno. Demko might be out for the season.

(yeah yeah)

That would be exciting were it not for us being legendary at making backups look like perennial Vezina contenders.

Re: WCSF - VAN (D1) vs. EDM (D2) [message #833124 is a reply to message #833122 ]
Tue, 07 May 2024 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Tue, 07 May 2024 11:15

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 07 May 2024 14:14

(yeah yeah)

That would be exciting were it not for us being legendary at making backups look like perennial Vezina contenders.

You mean future hall of famer and Latvian hero Arturs <checks notes> Sil.. ovs? He makes me nervous too.

Re: WCSF - VAN (D1) vs. EDM (D2) [message #833126 is a reply to message #833043 ]
Tue, 07 May 2024 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rowan Oil Fielding  is currently offline Rowan Oil Fielding

No Cups

Here's an informative breakdown of both team's playing styles.

In short: give the puck to McJesus (down low)
https://youtu.be/T9CvpHoZt9Y?si=uY67Ae6IKx4ayrkb

or Huggy (up high).
https://youtu.be/4udtnXcRwT4?si=gsEd3W1IZ7S4S8Kx

By the way how do you directly post YouTube videos on here?

https://i.postimg.cc/mZ9GD3V6/php2-CH3-Yf-AM.jpg

Re: WCSF - VAN (D1) vs. EDM (D2) [message #833127 is a reply to message #833126 ]
Tue, 07 May 2024 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

The forward lines as listed 20 mins ago going into game 1.

Janmark - McD - Hyman
Nuge - Drai - Kane
Holloway - McLeod - Perry
Foegele - Ryan - Brown

Sounds like Henrique is day to day with a lower body. Hopefully he is close. I am sure the time off did wonders for Kane.

Janmark being on the first line doesn't do much for me offensively but he will bring some defense to the line and all he has to do is chip pucks for McD and get out of McD's and Hyman's way.

When I look at the Oilers top 6, while not ideal that Janmark is in here, with Henrique out for game 1, they are dressing 5 legit top 6 players.

Counter the Canucks. Miller, Petterson and Boeser are legit top 6 player. Suter is on the top line, his career high is 14 goals, 36 pts. He had 14-29 playing a lot in their bottom 6. Mikheyev scored 21 goals for the Leafs which got him the contract from the Canucks, he had 11 and 31 pts this year. Hoglander is young, this is his first full season in the NHL, he spent the bulk of it in the AHL last year. He scored 24 this year. So he might be a legit top 6 guy but he screams Yamo to me due to his size. Yamo could score some in the regular season but as soon as he played in the playoffs where the hockey gets dirtier, more physical and more intense, he had a hard time being as effective. I look at Hoglander and in 6 games, he had zero points, only 2 shots and played just barely over 10 mins, 3 out of the 6 games in the series. G1 10:23, G4 10:34, G5 10:24.

Re: WCSF - VAN (D1) vs. EDM (D2) [message #833144 is a reply to message #833043 ]
Tue, 07 May 2024 16:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Saw Elias Pettersson was listed as day-to-day on the Canucks injury report, but sounds like it's most likely a minor illness. Would be surprising if he's not in the roster tomorrow.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/team/injuries/_/name/van/vancouver- canucks

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/pettersson-misses-canucks-pr actice

Re: WCSF - VAN (D1) vs. EDM (D2) [message #833145 is a reply to message #833144 ]
Tue, 07 May 2024 16:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 07 May 2024 16:07

Saw Elias Pettersson was listed as day-to-day on the Canucks injury report, but sounds like it's most likely a minor illness. Would be surprising if he's not in the roster tomorrow.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/team/injuries/_/name/van/vancouver- canucks

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/pettersson-misses-canucks-pr actice

Getting more important lessons with the Sedin twins at the swimming pool.

https://i.ibb.co/T06r9zn/Sedins.jpg

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: WCSF - VAN (D1) vs. EDM (D2) [message #833146 is a reply to message #833145 ]
Tue, 07 May 2024 17:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

1 Cup

Canucks are without Demko. If we don’t take advantage of this. I’ll be upset

Re: WCSF - VAN (D1) vs. EDM (D2) [message #833156 is a reply to message #833146 ]
Wed, 08 May 2024 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilfan94  is currently offline oilfan94

No Cups

tardigrade81 wrote on Tue, 07 May 2024 19:34

I feel like we've seen this story the last couple years and it didn't work out.

Re: WCSF - VAN (D1) vs. EDM (D2) [message #833157 is a reply to message #833156 ]
Wed, 08 May 2024 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

oilfan94 wrote on Wed, 08 May 2024 08:08

No doubt.

However, if this team still can't stop itself from being psyched out by stuff like an underdog 3rd string goalie story, they really are never gonna make it.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: WCSF - VAN (D1) vs. EDM (D2) [message #833167 is a reply to message #833157 ]
Wed, 08 May 2024 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 08 May 2024 08:20

No doubt.

However, if this team still can't stop itself from being psyched out by stuff like an underdog 3rd string goalie story, they really are never gonna make it.

As long as our team is not in the same headspace as the fan base about goaltending, I do not think there is a goalie in the league what can stop this offence from running through them. A potent scoring team against Skinner and Ceci/Nurse is my biggest concern (mildly)

Re: WCSF - VAN (D1) vs. EDM (D2) [message #833177 is a reply to message #833167 ]
Wed, 08 May 2024 14:46 Go to previous message
oilfan94  is currently offline oilfan94

No Cups

inverno76 wrote on Wed, 08 May 2024 13:32

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 08 May 2024 08:20

No doubt.

As long as our team is not in the same headspace as the fan base about goaltending, I do not think there is a goalie in the league what can stop this offence from running through them. A potent scoring team against Skinner and Ceci/Nurse is my biggest concern (mildly)

That's really the key thing, players always need to be in a better head space than us fans. That's a big reason why I think players should stay off any hockey social media, especially in the playoffs. Its a place for fans to stress out, but if the fans stress out the players that is an issue.

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:Oilers sign Connor Brown
Next Topic:Keslers pad pull on Talbot
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca