This day on July 2
Acquired: Steve MacIntyre (2010) Richard Petiot (2010)
Departed: Scott Fraser (1998) Brett Hauer (2001) Petr Sykora (2007) Curtis Glencross (2008) Chris Minard (2010)

Happy Birthday To: jrae, Oilman, HuMz, Oggie Oglethorpe, younggun1501, chipman

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » STANLEY CUP FINALS - EDM Oilers vs FLA PanthersPages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: STANLEY CUP FINALS - EDM Oilers vs FLA Panthers [message #836117 is a reply to message #835562 ]
Wed, 12 June 2024 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

Florida decided to not follow the NHL's request to fly to Edmonton yesterday and are now delayed in Florida today due to weather.

Hopefully they are exhausted and come into Edmonton at 3am tonight. Even better, they have to fly tomorrow morning and suit up for the game hours after landing :)

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Send a private message to this user  

Re: STANLEY CUP FINALS - EDM Oilers vs FLA Panthers [message #836121 is a reply to message #835562 ]
Wed, 12 June 2024 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Emily Kaplan @emilymkaplan
Hearing the Panthers plane just took off after several delays in South Florida. They won’t get into Edmonton until late Wednesday night.

Thursday has an early puck drop, 6:20 MT.

The Oilers flew Tuesday and will get two full nights at home ahead of Game 3.

Hectic 24 hours for Florida before the game tomorrow. Excuses will be at a minimum for the Oilers in game 3. Need to take a game over and not choke our chances.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: STANLEY CUP FINALS - EDM Oilers vs FLA Panthers [message #836144 is a reply to message #835562 ]
Thu, 13 June 2024 06:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hibernia  is currently offline Hibernia

No Cups

So, between the Oilers being down 2-0 and the crazy weather they're getting in South Florida for the next week, I'm a little bit worried that my trip to Game 5 is gonna be a dud or not happen at all. Hopefully, the boys can reduce my stress down to just weather-related shenanigans after this evening.

What happened to all of my messages? lol (I guess it's been awhile) Twitter: @AitchOil

Re: STANLEY CUP FINALS - EDM Oilers vs FLA Panthers [message #836838 is a reply to message #836144 ]
Sat, 22 June 2024 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gator21  is currently offline Gator21

No Cups

Hopefully Kane is good to for game 7, could be a nice boost although I dont know if u want to tinker with the lineup at this point

Re: STANLEY CUP FINALS - EDM Oilers vs FLA Panthers [message #836840 is a reply to message #836838 ]
Sat, 22 June 2024 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Gator21 wrote on Sat, 22 June 2024 10:15

Hopefully Kane is good to for game 7, could be a nice boost although I dont know if u want to tinker with the lineup at this point

Kane in, Ryan out would be the ONLY change imo

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: STANLEY CUP FINALS - EDM Oilers vs FLA Panthers [message #836841 is a reply to message #836840 ]
Sat, 22 June 2024 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Sat, 22 June 2024 10:59

Don't think I would mess with the lineup. Ryan is getting all the d zone starts. People point out he looks like he is struggling sometimes but being assigned to bust your butt in your own end all night sets you up for that.

Kane plays zero defense and is clearly messed up with his ability to move around with the hernia injury.

Our wins are largely thanks to guys being on point defensively and sacrificing in our end. The only goal last night was a horrendous play by Ceci which he followed up by not even trying to get back in defensive position to make up for it. The other goal was horrendous entry coverage by Nurse and then nurse just sliding into no man's land allowing a pass across our net. Almost all the remaining pain the last 3 games came from the bottom 2 D pairs and primarily from one guy on each pair. If knob had alternatives for these guys, I'd say go for it, but no such players are in our org.

Keep it up with this crew for one more.

[Updated on: Sat, 22 June 2024 12:07]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: STANLEY CUP FINALS - EDM Oilers vs FLA Panthers [message #836844 is a reply to message #836841 ]
Sat, 22 June 2024 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike is currently online Mike

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 22 June 2024 14:47

Don't think I would mess with the lineup. Ryan is getting all the d zone starts. People point out he looks like he is struggling sometimes but being assigned to bust your butt in your own end all night sets you up for that.

Kane plays zero defense and is clearly messed up with his ability to move around with the hernia injury.

Our wins are largely thanks to guys being on point defensively and sacrificing in our end. The only goal last night was a horrendous play by Ceci which he followed up by not even trying to get back in defensive position to make up for it. The other goal was horrendous entry coverage by Nurse and then nurse just sliding into no man's land allowing a pass across our net. Almost all the remaining pain the last 3 games came from the bottom 2 D pairs and primarily from one guy on each pair. If knob had alternatives for these guys, I'd say go for it, but no such players are in our org.

Makes you wonder how amazing this team would be if we swapped out Ceci and Nurse for 2 competent Dmen

Re: STANLEY CUP FINALS - EDM Oilers vs FLA Panthers [message #836846 is a reply to message #836844 ]
Sat, 22 June 2024 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Sat, 22 June 2024 14:42

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 22 June 2024 14:47

Makes you wonder how amazing this team would be if we swapped out Ceci and Nurse for 2 competent Dmen

12M is 2 ekholms lol.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: STANLEY CUP FINALS - EDM Oilers vs FLA Panthers [message #836847 is a reply to message #835562 ]
Sat, 22 June 2024 15:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rowan Oil Fielding  is currently offline Rowan Oil Fielding

No Cups

https://i.postimg.cc/JnsCyvrF/imhmnzQ.gif

https://i.postimg.cc/mZ9GD3V6/php2-CH3-Yf-AM.jpg

Re: STANLEY CUP FINALS - EDM Oilers vs FLA Panthers [message #837088 is a reply to message #835562 ]
Tue, 25 June 2024 16:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

A breakdown of who beat the Oilers.

Rodrigues - 4-3-7 - UFA add 4x3M - analytics darling, high energy strong possession winger, targeted by analytics focused contenders multiple times

Barkov - 2-3-5 - We know all about this guy. Nurse draft, #2 pick

Lundell - 0-5-5 - 2020 draft, #12 overall, finishing ELC. Holloway #14 pick that year

Verhaeghe - 2-2-4 - Tampa didn't qualify him, Zito signed him for 1Mx2 while the rest of the league was picking their noses. Extended 4.2M x 3

Bennett - 1-3-4 - Zito acquired for a no-name player and 2nd round pick. Lames sold him at the lowest point of his career and got pwned

Reinhart - 2-2-4 - Cup winning goal - Zito traded for him for a goalie Devon Levi and a protected 1st round pick which ended up a #28 pick in 2022. The picked player has 1 NHL game so far. Great trade. Reinhart developed a lot after getting away from the Buffalo turd sandwich

Tkachuk - 1-2-3 - We know this one. I stand very corrected on that trade, massive risk, massive reward for Zito. Gotta respect players that just refuse to not be a pain in the butt. Lifetime trolls, molded by annoying siblings that don't care about anything but being as big a pain in the butt as they can possibly be. Many florida players feed off the energy of this SOB and it helps them tremendously. Could have drafted him, but we didn't like his skating I think.

Tarasenko - 2-1-3 - deadline pickup

Montour - 0-2-2 - Robbery by Zito again. Took advantage of the inept management in Buffalo. Acquired for a pack of gum and a bag of grapes basically.

Kulikov - 0-2-2 - UFA add, 1Mx1

Luostarinen - 1-1-2 - Tallon acquired for Trochek, not that great of a trade, but Zito has kept him

Forsling - 0-2-2 - Zito claimed him on waivers in 2021. Umm, what the hell. Didn't know that until just now. Damn

OEL - UFA pickup - 1x2.25M

There is a heck of a lot of good GMing in this group we lost to. It's annoying as hell honestly.

[Updated on: Tue, 25 June 2024 16:50]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: STANLEY CUP FINALS - EDM Oilers vs FLA Panthers [message #837092 is a reply to message #837088 ]
Tue, 25 June 2024 17:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 25 June 2024 16:38

Rodrigues - 4-3-7 - UFA add 4x3M - analytics darling, high energy strong possession winger, targeted by analytics focused contenders multiple times

Lundell - 0-5-5 - 2020 draft, #12 overall, finishing ELC. Holloway #14 pick that year

Verhaeghe - 2-2-4 - Tampa didn't qualify him, Zito signed him for 1Mx2 while the rest of the league was picking their noses. Extended 4.2M x 3

Bennett - 1-3-4 - Zito acquired for a no-name player and 2nd round pick. Lames sold him at the lowest point of his career and got pwned

Reinhart - 2-2-4 - Cup winning goal - Zito traded for him for a goalie Devon Levi and a protected 1st round pick which ended up a #28 pick in 2022. The picked player has 1 NHL game so far. Great trade. Reinhart developed a lot after getting away from the Buffalo turd sandwich

Tkachuk - 1-2-3 - We know this one. I stand very corrected on that trade, massive risk, massive reward for Zito. Gotta respect players that just refuse to not be a pain in the butt. Lifetime trolls, molded by annoying siblings that don't care about anything but being as big a pain in the butt as they can possibly be. Many florida players feed off the energy of this SOB and it helps them tremendously. Could have drafted him, but we didn't like his skating I think.

Montour - 0-2-2 - Robbery by Zito again. Took advantage of the inept management in Buffalo. Acquired for a pack of gum and a bag of grapes basically.

Luostarinen - 1-1-2 - Tallon acquired for Trochek, not that great of a trade, but Zito has kept him

Forsling - 0-2-2 - Zito claimed him on waivers in 2021. Umm, what the hell. Didn't know that until just now. Damn

There is a heck of a lot of good GMing in this group we lost to. It's annoying as hell honestly.

Now do Dallas and even Vancouver too.

Good teams can acquire good pieces cheap.

This is why I think the people banging the drum to fire McLeod in to the sun are wrong. I think that isn't a player who's going to become a big wheel on a team, but could be a really nice depth guy who penalty kills and can chip in for cheap. He has the speed to move up the lineup when someone is hurt, and he's probably going to have a year where a bunch of pucks go in for him, especially if he gets over his aversion to shooting. But if you can keep him and pay him low dollars, then you're golden. And if he leaves as a free agent eventually for greener pastures, well, so be it.

We need capable players in the bottom six, and our default under Holland was to get older and older, which unfortunately comes with slower and slower. It made some of those guys like Perry and Ryan virtually unusable in some situations because they can't keep up. Not a huge Janmark or Brown fan, but those guys can at least skate (although took Brown a long time to get back to game speed). Derek Ryan and Sam Carrick are both pretty slow motors. Corey Perry and Sam Gagner were positively glacial at this stage of their careers.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: STANLEY CUP FINALS - EDM Oilers vs FLA Panthers [message #837094 is a reply to message #837092 ]
Tue, 25 June 2024 18:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 25 June 2024 17:52

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 25 June 2024 16:38

Now do Dallas and even Vancouver too.

Good teams can acquire good pieces cheap.

This is why I think the people banging the drum to fire McLeod in to the sun are wrong. I think that isn't a player who's going to become a big wheel on a team, but could be a really nice depth guy who penalty kills and can chip in for cheap. He has the speed to move up the lineup when someone is hurt, and he's probably going to have a year where a bunch of pucks go in for him, especially if he gets over his aversion to shooting. But if you can keep him and pay him low dollars, then you're golden. And if he leaves as a free agent eventually for greener pastures, well, so be it.

We need capable players in the bottom six, and our default under Holland was to get older and older, which unfortunately comes with slower and slower. It made some of those guys like Perry and Ryan virtually unusable in some situations because they can't keep up. Not a huge Janmark or Brown fan, but those guys can at least skate (although took Brown a long time to get back to game speed). Derek Ryan and Sam Carrick are both pretty slow motors. Corey Perry and Sam Gagner were positively glacial at this stage of their careers.

We've had inept management so long. I'm not sure Oilers fans even have perspective anymore on what an active GM with a plan looks like. Oilers media bootlickers are all constantly gaslighting the fans too, to convince them the GM is going a good job, and to always give them a player or 2 to fixate on.

Really hope we are about to escape this ridiculousness. Last chance for the McDavid era before he really starts slowing down.

Agree about McLeod too. I don't move him. Smart player, excellent skater. The physical side to his game will improve. Brains and speed is what this team needs more of, not less. There are 2 other players on his line when he is out there to add some more physical elements. Ideally still smart players as well.

Broberg could get the same kind of anger from fans next year when he has to play a full season. Especially if he ends up Nurse's babysitter. Expectations rise after a solid nothing to lose playoffs. As soon as people start seeing him shying away from hits and rushing some plays under pressure, the knives will come out as usual.

[Updated on: Tue, 25 June 2024 18:13]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: STANLEY CUP FINALS - EDM Oilers vs FLA Panthers [message #837103 is a reply to message #837092 ]
Wed, 26 June 2024 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Any current under 25 player who is making around 2M is a keeper and I loved what Brown and Janmark brought. If they both come back on value deals then I welcome them with open arms. Janmark would probably sign anywhere with a 2 year term, and it feels like Brown owes the Oilers a league minimum one year extension.

Re: STANLEY CUP FINALS - EDM Oilers vs FLA Panthers [message #837104 is a reply to message #837103 ]
Wed, 26 June 2024 11:40 Go to previous message

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Wed, 26 June 2024 11:37

Any current under 25 player who is making around 2M is a keeper and I loved what Brown and Janmark brought. If they both come back on value deals then I welcome them with open arms. Janmark would probably sign anywhere with a 2 year term, and it feels like Brown owes the Oilers a league minimum one year extension.

Definitely gonna see how much Brown wants to win with this group. Jackson should handle that negotiation himself, since he was the guy that swindled Holland into selling the future where Holland wouldn't be here anymore.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: STANLEY CUP FINALS - EDM Oilers vs FLA Panthers [message #837093 is a reply to message #837088 ]
Tue, 25 June 2024 17:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I envy teams like Tampa Bay who've done so well at acquiring and developing players that they are forced to get rid of really good complimentary guys like JT Miller, Blake Coleman, Carter Verhaeghe for cap reasons and can still A) compete every year and B) find great replacements for those players at relatively cheap.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: STANLEY CUP FINALS - EDM Oilers vs FLA Panthers [message #837098 is a reply to message #837093 ]
Wed, 26 June 2024 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jay  is currently offline Jay

No Cups

97 apparently has a pretty significant abdominal injury and will need survey.

29 played 3 rounds of the playoffs with a broken rib and a broken finger.

The narrative that the big guys couldn't get it done is so idiotic. Any idea how painful it is to bend over to tie your shoes with a broken rib?

I find that Draisaitl injury in particular frustrating. The mcdavid one you could probably argue that's a hockey injury that just happens. The drai injuries are a direct result of slashes and cross checks that the NHL encourages as a legitimate tactic. They made it clear last year against Vegas that this is an acceptable way to beat the oilers.

As I said before the playoffs and before this series the only way these two were going to be beat was if they were mauled to the point that they couldn't be effective. Which sadly is exactly what happened.

"Initiative comes to thems that wait"

Re: STANLEY CUP FINALS - EDM Oilers vs FLA Panthers [message #837099 is a reply to message #837098 ]
Wed, 26 June 2024 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Jay wrote on Wed, 26 June 2024 08:06

97 apparently has a pretty significant abdominal injury and will need survey.

29 played 3 rounds of the playoffs with a broken rib and a broken finger.

The narrative that the big guys couldn't get it done is so idiotic. Any idea how painful it is to bend over to tie your shoes with a broken rib?

I find that Draisaitl injury in particular frustrating. The mcdavid one you could probably argue that's a hockey injury that just happens. The drai injuries are a direct result of slashes and cross checks that the NHL encourages as a legitimate tactic. They made it clear last year against Vegas that this is an acceptable way to beat the oilers.

As I said before the playoffs and before this series the only way these two were going to be beat was if they were mauled to the point that they couldn't be effective. Which sadly is exactly what happened.

This is what I mean with my earlier comment on the NHL and their viewpoint on the heroism of playing through injuries. What it means is that in many seasons, it's just the team that's less injured that wins the Cup. That encourages players to, as Marchand said this year, seek to injure the other team's best players. Should this really just be a gladiator sport where the prize goes to the guy who somehow stays least banged up?

I mean, last year the Panthers were decimated by the finals and were roadkill for the Golden Knights. This year our best guys were struggling through, and it is probably the difference maker. It's stupid. Call the penalties. Make after-whistle scrums unpalatable for teams by continuing to penalize the guys who start them. Suspend people for multiple games for actual intent to injure plays.

Of course, all this falls under the supervision of Hall of Famer Colin "Soupy" Campbell, who is a dinosaur wishing for the return of 1970s hockey, other than if it negatively impacts his kid.

Re: STANLEY CUP FINALS - EDM Oilers vs FLA Panthers [message #837102 is a reply to message #837099 ]
Wed, 26 June 2024 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

And that’s why the Mark Stone’s and the Kucherov’s go on LTIR until the playoffs start. Sure they’re banged up and have a legitimate injuries, but your star players need to be at their healthiest to have any chance of being remotely healthy for 4 rounds.

NHL will never change. Teams just adjust and push the boundaries of the rules. Or at least successful teams do.

Pages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3]  
Previous Topic:Draisaitl Watch
Next Topic:Anyone Going to Gane 7?
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca