This day on June 28
Acquired: Ladislav Benysek (1994) Jason Bonsignore (1994) Mike Watt (1994) Ryan Smyth (1994)

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #3)Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #836313 is a reply to message #836312 ]
Fri, 14 June 2024 22:39 Go to previous message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 14 June 2024 22:23

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 14 June 2024 21:53

Just looking at Zito's start in Florida. He got Montour and Bennett for a bag of blueberries. Nice moves to fix the D and add what ended up one of their best playoff wingers off the bat, identifying very useful players improperly used on trash teams. Also identified Verhaeghe as having potential and only costed 1M to get him while everyone else was napping. Tampa let Verhaeghe just go UFA instead of qualifying him.

We remain amazed that Holland was able to manage 1 good trade and UFA signing in 5 years.

Sam Reinhart for Devon Levi and a first round pick (31st overall - now Jiri Kulich).

Gustav Forsling off waivers.

Ekman-Larsson for cheap after his Vancouver buyout.

They have done well identifying undervalued talent and getting it in house for low acquisition costs and reasonable salaries. They're facing Reinhart leaving as UFA this year and haven't panicked about that - kept him rather than dealing him away. And they have $20MM cap space this summer to deal with some of those challenges and despite having two $10MM players plus another at $9.5MM.

I mean, I really like Hyman and Ekholm, but that shouldn't be considered enough for the guy making the most money of any GM. Other GMs have built better top-to-bottom teams with less advantages to start with.

Hyman. Every year Holland is the high bidder on a hyped UFA. Same crap got us Campbell.

Ekholm. Follow the TSN trade target list, see the guys near the top. Whoever will take Barrie and a 1st, SOLD. Lucky Ek struggled all year with a young D and Nashville was being dumb cap dumping him after getting McDonagh.

Usually GM's only get 2 coaches. If we stuck with Woody, we would have been lucky to win a round this year. I do hope Katz has been seriously paying attention for once. Badly need a good GM hire. This is the actual last chance.

[Updated on: Fri, 14 June 2024 22:42]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #836297 is a reply to message #836293 ]
Fri, 14 June 2024 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Fri, 14 June 2024 09:26

You know who would have been awesome this year? The 2022 playoff version of Evander Kane. Man what a force he was that year. Almost scoring at will and hitting anything that moved. And hard. It was awesome to see.

If he really was injured all year and they didn’t just let him go get fixed up, it has to be considered a catastrophic blunder.

Get one of your only physically punishing guys healthy and ready to rock in the playoffs PLUS the LTIR space to add more firepower at the deadline, or just let him trudge through the regular season and playoffs as a shell of his former self?

Whether or not Kane was likely to rebound to form, it's just mind-bogglingly stupid to not get him the medical help he needed and to take advantage of the opportunities that his cap space would have afforded us.

When you add to that the team leaking that they pulled any discussion of trading Cody Ceci off the table because the team really likes him, you're talking about almost $10MM in cap room that the Oilers refused to avail themselves of. (Also, do you think that the last year of Ceci's deal is not harder to deal now?)

It's unconscionable, given the sheer importance of this season. The team's overcome a lot to get here...it's a shame they weren't given more tools, especially since that could have been relatively easily accomplished.

I'm staying positive. We aren't finished yet. The team pierced the armor of Florida last night and were unlucky not to have tied it up. That McLeod chance...arrrrgh. Our powerplay hasn't even arrived yet. When it does, it could be a difference maker.

And it's Sergei Bobrovsky. He of any goalie in the playoffs could fall apart at any time. I mean, this guy lost his job for a time last year to someone called Alex Lyon, whoever that is.

But I do think it's unforgivable how bad management failed this team this year.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #836305 is a reply to message #836297 ]
Fri, 14 June 2024 16:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jay  is currently offline Jay

No Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 14 June 2024 11:08

You know who would have been awesome this year? The 2022 playoff version of Evander Kane. Man what a force he was that year. Almost scoring at will and hitting anything that moved. And hard. It was awesome to see.

If he really was injured all year and they didn’t just let him go get fixed up, it has to be considered a catastrophic blunder.

Get one of your only physically punishing guys healthy and ready to rock in the playoffs PLUS the LTIR space to add more firepower at the deadline, or just let him trudge through the regular season and playoffs as a shell of his former self?

Whether or not Kane was likely to rebound to form, it's just mind-bogglingly stupid to not get him the medical help he needed and to take advantage of the opportunities that his cap space would have afforded us.

When you add to that the team leaking that they pulled any discussion of trading Cody Ceci off the table because the team really likes him, you're talking about almost $10MM in cap room that the Oilers refused to avail themselves of. (Also, do you think that the last year of Ceci's deal is not harder to deal now?)

It's unconscionable, given the sheer importance of this season. The team's overcome a lot to get here...it's a shame they weren't given more tools, especially since that could have been relatively easily accomplished.

I'm staying positive. We aren't finished yet. The team pierced the armor of Florida last night and were unlucky not to have tied it up. That McLeod chance...arrrrgh. Our powerplay hasn't even arrived yet. When it does, it could be a difference maker.

And it's Sergei Bobrovsky. He of any goalie in the playoffs could fall apart at any time. I mean, this guy lost his job for a time last year to someone called Alex Lyon, whoever that is.

I dont have any hard evidence of this but nurses injury sounds a lot like the hip flexer he had in 2022. Did he ever actually get that fixed? How long has he been dragging around that injury?

29 I think has been playing with broken ribs since round 2.

"Initiative comes to thems that wait"

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #836306 is a reply to message #836305 ]
Fri, 14 June 2024 16:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Jay wrote on Fri, 14 June 2024 16:10

I dont have any hard evidence of this but nurses injury sounds a lot like the hip flexer he had in 2022. Did he ever actually get that fixed? How long has he been dragging around that injury?

Seen people claiming Drai has brokens ribs along wtih a foot and finger injury. His shot is just gone now.

We really messed up against the Canucks. That could have been a sweep. But we took our foot off the gas and choked game 1, and it took 4 more games to finally take that confidence away from them. 7 games of a huge D group running our forwards. We had a golden opportunity for that to only be 4 or 5 games max and messed it up.

That is the kind of thing that Florida corrected. They managed their playoffs much better, and when they could step on the neck of a team, they didn't let up.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #836307 is a reply to message #836306 ]
Fri, 14 June 2024 18:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jay  is currently offline Jay

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 14 June 2024 16:36

Jay wrote on Fri, 14 June 2024 16:10

Seen people claiming Drai has brokens ribs along wtih a foot and finger injury. His shot is just gone now.

We really messed up against the Canucks. That could have been a sweep. But we took our foot off the gas and choked game 1, and it took 4 more games to finally take that confidence away from them. 7 games of a huge D group running our forwards. We had a golden opportunity for that to only be 4 or 5 games max and messed it up.

That is the kind of thing that Florida corrected. They managed their playoffs much better, and when they could step on the neck of a team, they didn't let up.

And we get a summer of hearing about how the most overrated player in the league shut down 29 and 97. Just like he shut down marchand and the bruins. Barkovs defensive skills were enough to made sure he couldn't score from the hospital.

I still think that if both teams are healthy and playing actual hockey this is a short series oilers win. But that's not the NHL. The oilers in particular due to the way they are built will need to go through 4 rounds where the only goal of the opposition is doing everything they can to injure 29 and 97.

"Initiative comes to thems that wait"

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #836282 is a reply to message #836277 ]
Fri, 14 June 2024 03:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

4 Cups

lowebudget wrote on Thu, 13 June 2024 21:51

I don't think that I can stomach another season if McLeod is on this team next year.

Tend to agree.. McLeod drives me nuts more than the rest.. some guys just don't have the talent so its like you're asking to get blood out of a stone.. not a lack of effort.. but McLeod has elite NHL skating.. but does nothing with it.. he just skates between people.. he should be creating endless amounts of turnovers with his forecheck .. but he never even gets close enough stick-check.. just sweeps on by playing some kind of pretend "zone" defense .. but in all zones.. covering no one.. breaking up no passes.. not taking a man..

Numerous coaches have told him what he needs to do.. since junior.. but can't bring himself to do it.. along with Nurse's bad defensive decisions.. he's the most frustrating player on the team for me.

If a guy doesn't bring anything extra in the Cup Final, with your team's season on the line.. and you can't play your heart out.. not just for yourself.. but your teammates.. you never will.

Especially when you're playing with the best player in a generation and he's carried your team, and you, on his back for your entire career.. if you can't find something more inside to give.. to lay on the line.. then you don't have it.. and likely never did it.. an empty vessel. (McLeod isn't the only one in this regard)

Do you even re-sign him next year as a RFA (hammer) for more than his current $2.1M ?

[Updated on: Fri, 14 June 2024 03:52]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #836281 is a reply to message #836243 ]
Fri, 14 June 2024 01:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MJ  is currently offline MJ

No Cups

Didn't watch the game, of course. I was intrigued after the game to see that the one and only time a team came back in the finals was the '42 Leafs. I like the idea that the '24 Oilers could do the same. A bit of numerology for those of us in the crowd.

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #836301 is a reply to message #836243 ]
Fri, 14 June 2024 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

No Cups

Still really sucks the next day.

7 aneurysm-induced minutes in the second period is all it took.

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #4)
Next Topic:What's The Story Behind Your Username
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca