This day on July 7
Acquired: Brad Moran (2010)
Departed: Brent Grieve (1994) Ryan Stone (2010)

Happy Birthday To: brian11, sawmill, lauren16, fozzie, weapon of choice, J.G., spud83, BurBub

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » STANLEY CUP FINALS - EDM Oilers vs FLA Panthers
Pages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3  >  »]
Switch to nested viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: STANLEY CUP FINALS - EDM Oilers vs FLA Panthers [message #835648 is a reply to message #835646 ]
Wed, 05 June 2024 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

What I don't get with a lot of hockey people is how they often seem to discredit how teams need their best players to play well. Yes you need some contribution by depth players. That contribution is partly chipping in on offense but a lot of that is doing other things like the PK as an example. But at the end of the day, if your best players don't play well in a series, you will lose. Doesn't matter how much depth you have.

The Rangers are a great example. They won the Presidents trophy. They have a vezina caliber goalie, a norris dman and depth. Everything people say you need to win. Their depth chipped in but their 3 bestr players - Panarin, Kreider Zibanejad - did not have a good series and they lost.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: STANLEY CUP FINALS - EDM Oilers vs FLA Panthers [message #835649 is a reply to message #835562 ]
Wed, 05 June 2024 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Knob just lost us all the Buffalo fans.

When asked if Florida's finals appearance last year gives them an advantage, he said to ask the Buffalo Bills how much the experience of finals appearances matter.

https://media3.giphy.com/media/cF7QqO5DYdft6/200w.gif?cid=6c09b952ui593x857pqgo30cb511s1u2fwij0ydq97ecs75d&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=200w.gif&ct=g

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: STANLEY CUP FINALS - EDM Oilers vs FLA Panthers [message #835650 is a reply to message #835647 ]
Wed, 05 June 2024 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 05 June 2024 10:04

benv wrote on Wed, 05 June 2024 09:59

Moneypuck, which uses nothing but math to make its predictions has the Oilers as a very small favourite to win: 52.5% to 47.5%.

https://moneypuck.com/predictions.htm

That's an interesting one! Florida has dominated possession 5v5 through the playoffs, and would expect them to get the thumbs up by more analytics models. However, looks like moneypuck does account for special teams quite a bit, which probably gives us a boost.

Do hope the refs aren't scared to make calls in the finals. Need the Knob to figure out some good strategies to counter the relentless Florida attack.

The refs are a really interesting storyline. Florida's kind of bullied their way through a lot of the first three rounds. They have so many dirtbag players. They have 207 penalty minutes so far, compared to 171 for the Oilers, 146 for the Rangers and just 92 for the Stars. Worth noting, that's slightly skewed by the fact that the Panthers and Bruins took a ton of misconducts against each other.

They've done a tremendous job on the kill at over 88%, but they haven't had to worry about a PP quite like the Oilers. Rangers were 24.0% in the playoffs, Bruins were 21.2%, and Lightning were 20.0%. Edmonton is humming along at 37.3%.

So does that mean they back off a little from that edge, in fear of the Oilers man advantage? Or do the refs just change the standard even more for the Finals and let full-scale mugging take place all over the ice?

Interesting looking at the stats, because the Panthers have almost two full minutes more of powerplay time than the Oilers through three rounds. Refs have called lots of penalties in their games, and relatively few in ours. The Oilers averaging the 13th most PP time/game in the post-season (although scoring on so many PPs might impact that number a bit too).

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: STANLEY CUP FINALS - EDM Oilers vs FLA Panthers [message #835651 is a reply to message #835644 ]
Wed, 05 June 2024 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

I was almost as nervous about the Dallas series as I was for the Avs a couple of years ago.

I know the Panthers are a good team, but we do have some pretty OK hockey players over there too.

Purely in terms of offense, McDavid and Draisaitl are the best 1-2 in the history of the NHL. They sit 2 and 3 all time in PPG, and McDavid has a pretty good chance to break the record for most assists in a playoff season (5 away). Though he's unlikely to hit the mark for the most points ever in a playoff season (16 shy), both he and Draisaitl could easily finish around top 5 with the highest totals in over 30 years.

Evan Bouchard has an outside shot at the highest total ever for a Dman (10 shy of Coffee's 37), but pretty high probability to also have the highest total in 30 years (just 2 behind Makar's mark 2 years ago)

Zach Hyman has a realistic shot at the most goals ever - only 5 shy of Reggie Leach and Jari Kurri's 19.

I know records typically don't really mean a whole lot, but my point is that we have 4 guys performing at all time great levels. Not to mention RNH and his 20 points.

Our PP though not as potent as a couple of years ago, still one of the best ever for a team going to the finals (37.3%).

Our PK? Best ever for a team in the finals by quite a bit (93.9%).

I would say they probably have an edge in goal, but last year Bob fell off a cliff in the finals. And even this year, he has not been unbeatable. 7 of 17 under .900. Total for this year are .908%, 2.20GAA

Skinner has been bad at times, but his best games have been quite good. He's now climbed to .897% and 2.50GAA on the season, not too far off of goalie Bob. Over .900 in all but 1 game against the Stars including 2 great showings the last 2 games (.950, .971).

Both guys have shown inconsistency, but if Skinner plays anything close to how he did to close out the series against the Stars, it's a draw at worst regardless how Bob plays.

Where I think it swings in their favor is the bottom 6 forwards and bottom 4 D. We are just bleeding chances and goals against anytime they are out there. That said, the addition of Broberg so far is paying off in spades. Looking like a seasoned vet out there. His surprisingly good play could be a key factor in this series (stopping the continuous fire drills)

[Updated on: Wed, 05 June 2024 10:48]

Re: STANLEY CUP FINALS - EDM Oilers vs FLA Panthers [message #835652 is a reply to message #835649 ]
Wed, 05 June 2024 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rowan Oil Fielding  is currently offline Rowan Oil Fielding

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 05 June 2024 17:14

Knob just lost us all the Buffalo fans.

When asked if Florida's finals appearance last year gives them an advantage, he said to ask the Buffalo Bills how much the experience of finals appearances matter.

https://media3.giphy.com/media/cF7QqO5DYdft6/200w.gif?cid=6c09b952ui593x857pqgo30cb511s1u2fwij0ydq97ecs75d&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=200w.gif&ct=g

Oof, that's savage! 😲

https://i.postimg.cc/mZ9GD3V6/php2-CH3-Yf-AM.jpg

Re: STANLEY CUP FINALS - EDM Oilers vs FLA Panthers [message #835653 is a reply to message #835651 ]
Wed, 05 June 2024 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Wed, 05 June 2024 10:39

I was almost as nervous about the Dallas series as I was for the Avs a couple of years ago.

I know the Panthers are a good team, but we do have some pretty OK hockey players over there too.

Purely in terms of offense, McDavid and Draisaitl are the best 1-2 in the history of the NHL. They sit 2 and 3 all time in PPG, and McDavid has a pretty good chance to break the record for most assists in a playoff season (5 away). Though he's unlikely to hit the mark for the most points ever in a playoff season (16 shy), both he and Draisaitl could easily finish around top 5 with the highest totals in over 30 years.

Evan Bouchard has an outside shot at the highest total ever for a Dman (10 shy of Coffee's 37), but pretty high probability to also have the highest total in 30 years (just 2 behind Makar's mark 2 years ago)

Zach Hyman has a realistic shot at the most goals ever - only 5 shy of Reggie Leach and Jari Kurri's 19.

I know records typically don't really mean a whole lot, but my point is that we have 4 guys performing at all time great levels. Not to mention RNH and his 20 points.

Our PP though not as potent as a couple of years ago, still one of the best ever for a team going to the finals (37.3%).

Our PK? Best ever for a team in the finals by quite a bit (93.9%).

I would say they probably have an edge in goal, but last year Bob fell off a cliff in the finals. And even this year, he has not been unbeatable. 7 of 17 under .900. Total for this year are .908%, 2.20GAA

Skinner has been bad at times, but his best games have been quite good. He's now climbed to .897% and 2.50GAA on the season, not too far off of goalie Bob. Over .900 in all but 1 game against the Stars including 2 great showings the last 2 games (.950, .971).

Both guys have shown inconsistency, but if Skinner plays anything close to how he did to close out the series against the Stars, it's a draw at worst regardless how Bob plays.

Where I think it swings in their favor is the bottom 6 forwards and bottom 4 D. We are just bleeding chances and goals against anytime they are out there. That said, the addition of Broberg so far is paying off in spades. Looking like a seasoned vet out there. His surprisingly good play could be a key factor in this series (stopping the continuous fire drills)

Bobrovsky is maybe similar in some ways to Skinner. His whole career he's had stretches of brilliance, and then swoons where he can't stop anything. It would be a lot of fun if he could have one of those swoons over the next two to three weeks.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: STANLEY CUP FINALS - EDM Oilers vs FLA Panthers [message #835654 is a reply to message #835650 ]
Wed, 05 June 2024 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jay  is currently offline Jay

No Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 05 June 2024 10:20

Moneypuck, which uses nothing but math to make its predictions has the Oilers as a very small favourite to win: 52.5% to 47.5%.

That's an interesting one! Florida has dominated possession 5v5 through the playoffs, and would expect them to get the thumbs up by more analytics models. However, looks like moneypuck does account for special teams quite a bit, which probably gives us a boost.

Do hope the refs aren't scared to make calls in the finals. Need the Knob to figure out some good strategies to counter the relentless Florida attack.

The refs are a really interesting storyline. Florida's kind of bullied their way through a lot of the first three rounds. They have so many dirtbag players. They have 207 penalty minutes so far, compared to 171 for the Oilers, 146 for the Rangers and just 92 for the Stars. Worth noting, that's slightly skewed by the fact that the Panthers and Bruins took a ton of misconducts against each other.

They've done a tremendous job on the kill at over 88%, but they haven't had to worry about a PP quite like the Oilers. Rangers were 24.0% in the playoffs, Bruins were 21.2%, and Lightning were 20.0%. Edmonton is humming along at 37.3%.

So does that mean they back off a little from that edge, in fear of the Oilers man advantage? Or do the refs just change the standard even more for the Finals and let full-scale mugging take place all over the ice?

Interesting looking at the stats, because the Panthers have almost two full minutes more of powerplay time than the Oilers through three rounds. Refs have called lots of penalties in their games, and relatively few in ours. The Oilers averaging the 13th most PP time/game in the post-season (although scoring on so many PPs might impact that number a bit too).

I think the oilers are the better team in a hockey game. But that may not be all that relevant. All the talk about the panthers 'physicality' and 'heaviness' just means that the expectation is that they'll be able to injure enough oilers to the point that they will be ineffective and that NHL refs will call 2 or 3 penalties/team regardless of what's actually happening on the ice. Again just get rid of these guys and call penalties with a random number generator.

I'm a bit concerned by any team that gets the pietrangelo treatment - ie no repercussions for blatantly trying to injure the other teams stars. I imagine they (correctly) assume they can do whatever they want.

Kane better be healthy for game 1.

"Initiative comes to thems that wait"

Re: STANLEY CUP FINALS - EDM Oilers vs FLA Panthers [message #835655 is a reply to message #835654 ]
Wed, 05 June 2024 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Jay wrote on Wed, 05 June 2024 11:09

I think the oilers are the better team in a hockey game. But that may not be all that relevant. All the talk about the panthers 'physicality' and 'heaviness' just means that the expectation is that they'll be able to injure enough oilers to the point that they will be ineffective and that NHL refs will call 2 or 3 penalties/team regardless of what's actually happening on the ice. Again just get rid of these guys and call penalties with a random number generator.

I'm a bit concerned by any team that gets the pietrangelo treatment - ie no repercussions for blatantly trying to injure the other teams stars. I imagine they (correctly) assume they can do whatever they want.

I expect that Sam Bennett will do many despicable things. Probably Tkachuk too.

Re: STANLEY CUP FINALS - EDM Oilers vs FLA Panthers [message #835656 is a reply to message #835655 ]
Wed, 05 June 2024 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Wed, 05 June 2024 14:14

Have Sam Carrick Bobby Clarke Tkachuk game 1. Everyone will attend his charity golf tournament at $500k/person this summer.

Re: STANLEY CUP FINALS - EDM Oilers vs FLA Panthers [message #835657 is a reply to message #835656 ]
Wed, 05 June 2024 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Wed, 05 June 2024 11:36

Have Sam Carrick Bobby Clarke Tkachuk game 1.

I love that this sentence doesn't make any sense, but I completely understand it.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: STANLEY CUP FINALS - EDM Oilers vs FLA Panthers [message #835658 is a reply to message #835655 ]
Wed, 05 June 2024 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 05 June 2024 11:14

Hope we still have angry Nurse in the finals. He can beat up on any of these brats.

If the refs are serious about not turning the finals into a clown show, it really shouldn't take long for Florida to start worrying about going over lines and having to deal with our powerplay. I was surprised at how quiet Benn was in the Dallas series. I think Dallas was very seriously concerned about taking penalties against us. Almost nothing dirty happened that whole series. Not that Dallas has lots of nasty customers, but Benn has rarely been affraid of trying to spark his team by being a scumbag.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: STANLEY CUP FINALS - EDM Oilers vs FLA Panthers [message #835659 is a reply to message #835657 ]
Wed, 05 June 2024 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 05 June 2024 15:01

I love that this sentence doesn't make any sense, but I completely understand it.

icon_lol Not my best wordsmithing. Moving pictures should help

https://youtu.be/qRlnqthpTbM?si=k4svAEO70C_NvFTU

[Updated on: Wed, 05 June 2024 12:33]

Re: STANLEY CUP FINALS - EDM Oilers vs FLA Panthers [message #835668 is a reply to message #835659 ]
Thu, 06 June 2024 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hibernia  is currently offline Hibernia

No Cups

Mike wrote on Wed, 05 June 2024 16:00

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 05 June 2024 15:01

icon_lol Not my best wordsmithing. Moving pictures should help

https://youtu.be/qRlnqthpTbM?si=k4svAEO70C_NvFTU

Must be an East Coast thing, cause I didn't question that sentence at all. lol

What happened to all of my messages? lol (I guess it's been awhile) Twitter: @AitchOil

Re: STANLEY CUP FINALS - EDM Oilers vs FLA Panthers [message #835672 is a reply to message #835652 ]
Thu, 06 June 2024 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

The new media narrative seems to be that barkov is now the "best two way player in the game". What nonsense. If they want to argue he's the best defensive forwards then sure give him another selke. But last time I checked two way means like both ways.. offense and defense. Barkov has one 90+ point season. His defense doesn't come close to making up the disparity between that and the offensive numbers put up by 97 or 29. Its like comparing lemieux to guy carboneau.

97 is the best two way forward in hockey and barkov is quickly becoming the most over rated.

I hate the panthers already lol

Re: STANLEY CUP FINALS - EDM Oilers vs FLA Panthers [message #835676 is a reply to message #835672 ]
Thu, 06 June 2024 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Jay wrote on Thu, 06 June 2024 11:28

The new media narrative seems to be that barkov is now the "best two way player in the game". What nonsense. If they want to argue he's the best defensive forwards then sure give him another selke. But last time I checked two way means like both ways.. offense and defense. Barkov has one 90+ point season. His defense doesn't come close to making up the disparity between that and the offensive numbers put up by 97 or 29. Its like comparing lemieux to guy carboneau.

97 is the best two way forward in hockey and barkov is quickly becoming the most over rated.

If you read some of the articles being written about "the numbers" and all the talk about the Panthers and how many people picked the Panthers, I am not sure why they bother to play the series. Save money on travel and just forfeit, the Oilers don't stand a chance apparently.

Re: STANLEY CUP FINALS - EDM Oilers vs FLA Panthers [message #835679 is a reply to message #835672 ]
Thu, 06 June 2024 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Jay wrote on Thu, 06 June 2024 11:28

Your view is not shared by everyone:

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/greg-co te/article288962840.html

I LOVE that this came out this week.

Re: STANLEY CUP FINALS - EDM Oilers vs FLA Panthers [message #835681 is a reply to message #835679 ]
Thu, 06 June 2024 15:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

No Cups

I hope they have a bunch of this stuff printed out and sitting on the seats of their flight to Miami. Just light reading for the flight

Re: STANLEY CUP FINALS - EDM Oilers vs FLA Panthers [message #835685 is a reply to message #835562 ]
Fri, 07 June 2024 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

From our old friend Willis on Twitter (X)....

Dallas was the most disciplined team in the playoffs. Florida is much more likely to take penalties. I know the Panthers PK is good, but there's a "slight" difference between shutting down NYR (8.5 goals/60) and EDM (14.5 goals/60)

I'm also not convinced FLA is some 5v5 juggernaut by comparison to EDM. Expected goals% and NHL regular season:
1. EDM: 57%
3. EDM's R3 opp: 55%
4. EDM's R1 opp: 55%
5. FLA: 54%
8. EDMs' R2 opp: 52%
18. FLA's R2 opp: 50%
21. FLA R1 opp: 49%
22. FLA's F3 opp: 49%

In other words, this is the first time in the playoffs that Florida will face an opponent that was better than 50/50 by expected goals in the regular season. Edmonton has already beat two teams who had superior totals to the Panthers.

------------------------------

The games aren't played on paper or in spreadsheets, but when I see those analysts who value the numbers picking the Oilers, I agree. I mean, we've all been watching the Oilers this season. The Oilers only lose when the Oilers beat themselves. And, if Connor and Leon want this bad enough (and are healthy enough) I don't think there's anyone gonna stop them.

What happened to all of my messages? lol (I guess it's been awhile) Twitter: @AitchOil

Re: STANLEY CUP FINALS - EDM Oilers vs FLA Panthers [message #835687 is a reply to message #835685 ]
Fri, 07 June 2024 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

https://i.imgflip.com/4eo14g.jpg

Re: STANLEY CUP FINALS - EDM Oilers vs FLA Panthers [message #835689 is a reply to message #835687 ]
Fri, 07 June 2024 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I know when we get to next Saturday and there's a home SCF game in Edmonton this wait will have been worth it but there could have been a game last night.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: STANLEY CUP FINALS - EDM Oilers vs FLA Panthers [message #835690 is a reply to message #835562 ]
Fri, 07 June 2024 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

Just enjoy these 2 weeks and potentially 7 games.

...and don't look at capfriendly.. just... just don't... enjoy yourself.. this is a secretly encoded message and if you can see this, DON'T LOOK AT CAPFRIENDLY of the Oilers next season because holy crap, a lot of UFA's and 9M to spend - YIKES.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: STANLEY CUP FINALS - EDM Oilers vs FLA Panthers [message #835691 is a reply to message #835562 ]
Fri, 07 June 2024 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
benv  is currently offline benv

No Cups

From the Oilers first practice in Florida today, here are the expected lines for game 1:

RNH McDavid Hyman
Kane Draisaitl Holloway
Janmark Henrique Brown
Foegele McLeod Perry

Ekholm Bouchard
Nurse Ceci
Broberg Kulak

Skinner

Some surprise there with the reinsertion of Foegele and both Carrick and Ryan being scratched. I'm guessing many won't like the reunion of Nurse and Ceci either. I guess we'll see how it plays out.

Re: STANLEY CUP FINALS - EDM Oilers vs FLA Panthers [message #835692 is a reply to message #835691 ]
Fri, 07 June 2024 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

benv wrote on Fri, 07 June 2024 14:15

From the Oilers first practice in Florida today, here are the expected lines for game 1:

RNH McDavid Hyman
Kane Draisaitl Holloway
Janmark Henrique Brown
Foegele McLeod Perry

Ekholm Bouchard
Nurse Ceci
Broberg Kulak

Skinner

Some surprise there with the reinsertion of Foegele and both Carrick and Ryan being scratched. I'm guessing many won't like the reunion of Nurse and Ceci either. I guess we'll see how it plays out.

From my perspective, the team is in the finals using these players, especially Nurse - Ceci. I know a lot of fans using the free info they look up on some website sites, think they know more about who to play and who not than the coaches. But I am going to defer to the coaches that, from mid November had had them as being one of the best teams including defensively in the NHL. They have improved in the playoffs.

So I am going to assume the coaching staff know what they are doing, they have better information considering they have a staff of paid professionals doing it vs the free stuff any fan can look up on a website and they probably spend way more than the 5-10 mins total a fan will do looking at these stats.

So if they think that helps them win a game, I will believe them.

For Foegele. After missing 3 games in a row, if he doesn't come out like he was shot out a cabin, he's got problems.

Re: STANLEY CUP FINALS - EDM Oilers vs FLA Panthers [message #835694 is a reply to message #835562 ]
Fri, 07 June 2024 18:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Should Knob pull a MacT and play Campbell as backup for game 1 so he can get his name on the cup? icon_biggrin

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: STANLEY CUP FINALS - EDM Oilers vs FLA Panthers [message #835696 is a reply to message #835694 ]
Fri, 07 June 2024 18:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 07 June 2024 18:11

Should Knob pull a MacT and play Campbell as backup for game 1 so he can get his name on the cup? icon_biggrin

Too soon

Re: STANLEY CUP FINALS - EDM Oilers vs FLA Panthers [message #835697 is a reply to message #835696 ]
Fri, 07 June 2024 18:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Jay wrote on Fri, 07 June 2024 18:31

Too soon

In fairness MacT was rotating backup goalies for the whole playoffs. Still though…

Re: STANLEY CUP FINALS - EDM Oilers vs FLA Panthers [message #835699 is a reply to message #835697 ]
Fri, 07 June 2024 19:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
halfafrog  is currently offline halfafrog

No Cups

I'm calling it. A Game 6, Summer Solstice cup win for the Oilers @ Rogers. Sun will still be up.

So this is what hope feels like?

Re: STANLEY CUP FINALS - EDM Oilers vs FLA Panthers [message #835702 is a reply to message #835699 ]
Fri, 07 June 2024 20:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

1 Cup

I should be more excited about this series.

Everything being normal I would be, but this...stuff (keep the filter happy) with my wife just makes everything other than that just feel like...I dunno...extraneous.

Win it for Joey. For Ben. For Angie.

Sorry, don't want to be a downer in this thread. Lets Go Oilers!

Re: STANLEY CUP FINALS - EDM Oilers vs FLA Panthers [message #835707 is a reply to message #835689 ]
Sat, 08 June 2024 00:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 07 June 2024 09:04

I know when we get to next Saturday and there's a home SCF game in Edmonton this wait will have been worth it but there could have been a game last night.

I was thinking that it was weird to have the two-day break between Games 2 and 3, but then I remembered the travel time required between the two cities. It is kinda cool that each team gets a home game on a Saturday night in the SCF.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: STANLEY CUP FINALS - EDM Oilers vs FLA Panthers [message #835708 is a reply to message #835697 ]
Sat, 08 June 2024 00:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 07 June 2024 18:47

Jay wrote on Fri, 07 June 2024 18:31

Too soon

In fairness MacT was rotating backup goalies for the whole playoffs. Still though…

Who even does that? Talk about taking a role in the lineup for granted. Bit the team in the worst possible way in the end.

Oh well. Now to good times!

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: STANLEY CUP FINALS - EDM Oilers vs FLA Panthers [message #835723 is a reply to message #835702 ]
Sat, 08 June 2024 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Fri, 07 June 2024 20:00

I should be more excited about this series.

Everything being normal I would be, but this...stuff (keep the filter happy) with my wife just makes everything other than that just feel like...I dunno...extraneous.

Win it for Joey. For Ben. For Angie.

Sorry, don't want to be a downer in this thread. Lets Go Oilers!

Yeah real life has a way of putting entertainment and sports into perspective pretty quickly. The reality is that these things are given such an elevated place in society precisely to distract people from things that actually matter (bread and circus and all of that). It is fun but also it's never a bad thing to have a fresh reminder of that fact and focus on what is really important.

Hope your wife is ok soon.

Re: STANLEY CUP FINALS - EDM Oilers vs FLA Panthers [message #835726 is a reply to message #835640 ]
Sat, 08 June 2024 14:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

No Cups

Suomalainen wrote on Wed, 05 June 2024 08:59

I read the Athletic article this morning, and it's even worse than that. It's 16/17 current NHL coaches think it's going to Florida, most in 6, the rest in 7.
Then, only 3 execs or scouts think the oilers will win.

That means 4/33 League professionals think the oilers will do it. Most cite Florida having been here last year and playing a heavy game.

Underdogs.

And for the record only 8/22 ESPN/ABC folks picked the oilers, Mess says it in 7 games.

Re: STANLEY CUP FINALS - EDM Oilers vs FLA Panthers [message #836092 is a reply to message #835726 ]
Tue, 11 June 2024 21:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gator21  is currently offline Gator21

No Cups

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/draisaitl-avoids-suspension-barkov-mi ght-play-in-game-3-of-stanley-cup-final-1.2133416

Draisaitl avoids suspension…honestly was a joke it was even considered or talked about lol. Wouldn’t even be a game in the regular let alone the SCF

Re: STANLEY CUP FINALS - EDM Oilers vs FLA Panthers [message #836093 is a reply to message #836092 ]
Tue, 11 June 2024 21:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

4 Cups

Gator21 wrote on Tue, 11 June 2024 20:18

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/draisaitl-avoids-suspension-barkov-mi ght-play-in-game-3-of-stanley-cup-final-1.2133416

Draisaitl avoids suspension…honestly was a joke it was even considered or talked about lol. Wouldn’t even be a game in the regular let alone the SCF

Compared to what Trouba was allowed to get away with this playoff.. its a joke it was even considered..

Here is Trouba's elbow on Rodrigues.. intent.. plus sticking out the elbow directly to head.. all Trouba got was a 2 minute... then a 5k fine.. NHL has its favourites.

https://i.imgur.com/jWZP0I0.gif

[Updated on: Tue, 11 June 2024 21:56]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: STANLEY CUP FINALS - EDM Oilers vs FLA Panthers [message #836095 is a reply to message #836093 ]
Tue, 11 June 2024 21:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 11 June 2024 21:52

Compared to what Trouba was allowed to get away with this playoff.. its a joke it was even considered.. here is Trouba's elbow on Rodrigues.. all Trouba got was a 2 minute... NHL has its favourites.

Man, what a pickup Rodrigues was. Analytics darling that kept bouncing around teams. Really showing the goods in the finals.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: STANLEY CUP FINALS - EDM Oilers vs FLA Panthers [message #836102 is a reply to message #836095 ]
Wed, 12 June 2024 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 11 June 2024 21:56

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 11 June 2024 21:52

Compared to what Trouba was allowed to get away with this playoff.. its a joke it was even considered.. here is Trouba's elbow on Rodrigues.. all Trouba got was a 2 minute... NHL has its favourites.

Man, what a pickup Rodrigues was. Analytics darling that kept bouncing around teams. Really showing the goods in the finals.

Completely ridiculous. The fact that there were media hacks putting it out there as a legitimate conversation or that the NHL was actually considering it is wild. Off the charts gaslighting - just have to laugh.

Remember St Bennett on Marchand?

Re: STANLEY CUP FINALS - EDM Oilers vs FLA Panthers [message #836104 is a reply to message #836102 ]
Wed, 12 June 2024 06:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Jay wrote on Wed, 12 June 2024 08:28

Completely ridiculous. The fact that there were media hacks putting it out there as a legitimate conversation or that the NHL was actually considering it is wild. Off the charts gaslighting - just have to laugh.

Remember St Bennett on Marchand?

There's more media than players left in the Finals. Of course, they're gonna talk about it. They're gonna talk about every little thing in an attempt to keep our eyes/ears on their station/web site. It's just like the first week of the season when we/they over-react to everything.

Re: STANLEY CUP FINALS - EDM Oilers vs FLA Panthers [message #836117 is a reply to message #835562 ]
Wed, 12 June 2024 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Florida decided to not follow the NHL's request to fly to Edmonton yesterday and are now delayed in Florida today due to weather.

Hopefully they are exhausted and come into Edmonton at 3am tonight. Even better, they have to fly tomorrow morning and suit up for the game hours after landing :)

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: STANLEY CUP FINALS - EDM Oilers vs FLA Panthers [message #836121 is a reply to message #835562 ]
Wed, 12 June 2024 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Emily Kaplan @emilymkaplan
Hearing the Panthers plane just took off after several delays in South Florida. They won’t get into Edmonton until late Wednesday night.

Thursday has an early puck drop, 6:20 MT.

The Oilers flew Tuesday and will get two full nights at home ahead of Game 3.

Hectic 24 hours for Florida before the game tomorrow. Excuses will be at a minimum for the Oilers in game 3. Need to take a game over and not choke our chances.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: STANLEY CUP FINALS - EDM Oilers vs FLA Panthers [message #836144 is a reply to message #835562 ]
Thu, 13 June 2024 06:39 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

No Cups

So, between the Oilers being down 2-0 and the crazy weather they're getting in South Florida for the next week, I'm a little bit worried that my trip to Game 5 is gonna be a dud or not happen at all. Hopefully, the boys can reduce my stress down to just weather-related shenanigans after this evening.

Pages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Holland confirmed gone
Next Topic:Anyone Going to Gane 7?
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca