This day on July 7
Acquired: Brad Moran (2010)
Departed: Brent Grieve (1994) Ryan Stone (2010)

Happy Birthday To: brian11, sawmill, lauren16, fozzie, weapon of choice, J.G., spud83, BurBub

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #7)
Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to nested viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #7) [message #834611 is a reply to message #834604 ]
Tue, 21 May 2024 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

I don't know what the coach is telling them or not on the bench. But he needs to tell them to keep pushing because they suck at turtling. As evidenced by our record 8th time losing a game in which we led by 3 or more. We were lucky they didn't tie it up last night - on more than one occasion in the last few minutes.

Sure the D can stay at the blue line on a 50/50 pinch when they might otherwise risk it, but the forwards need to keep pushing. In the 3rd they went to a 1-2-2 with the deepest forward barely over the Canucks blue line. This gives them all the time in the world to get set up and we see the result time and time again - a fire drill in our end. The forecheck and the pressure is what got us there, don't abandon it to nurse a 3 goal lead.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #7) [message #834612 is a reply to message #834608 ]
Tue, 21 May 2024 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Mike wrote on Tue, 21 May 2024 08:39

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 21 May 2024 11:17

Blows me away how fans who fancy themselves as educated think it's the coach telling the players to sit back.

Blows me away how you can continuously be so pompous so as to cast aspersions to all the unwashed masses. Those masses being anyone daring to have a different opinion than you.

It's a discussion forum - it is perfectly ok for you to state your opinion/point without first belittling anyone who doesn't share your views (incoming victim post in 3....2....1...)

Don't worry man, I have no intention of commenting on your stuff very often anymore. You are just another person on this site who looks for things to complain about.

If the Oilers win the cup and it's not a sweep, I would bet someone will complain they didn't get the sweet. If in the cup clinching game, they sit back and protect a lead and it gets close but still win, someone will complain about sitting back. Or 1 day after the cup win, someone will post a complaint thread about the GM or organization on how they suck at drafting or the cap.

It took me awhile to get it but there is no changing these people. There are fans who complain to complain because that's what they like to do. Is what it is. No sense in me trying to change it.

I watched a lot of bad Oilers hockey over the years where it wasn't very much fun to be a fan. I took tons of shots from friends who were fans of other teams when the Oilers were bad. I choose to look at the positives and enjoy the ride rather than continuously seeking out the negative with the team or players.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #7) [message #834614 is a reply to message #834610 ]
Tue, 21 May 2024 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Tue, 21 May 2024 08:45

Forgot to mention it, but props to Ceci and Nurse for playing really well the last couple of games. Nurse in particular was fantastic last night.

I agree. Nurse and Ceci were not good to start the series. Breaking them up I think helped both but I also think they just started playing better. For Nurse, he just needs to stop thinking he needs to be everything. When he just plays his game and stays within himself, he's a good dman.

For Ceci, he won the Oilers hardest shot in their skills competition. He needs to unleash that more! 2 goals in the series. For teams to go far, they need contribution from different guys especially guys who don't do it as often.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #7) [message #834615 is a reply to message #834592 ]
Tue, 21 May 2024 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 20 May 2024 23:06

Adam wrote on Mon, 20 May 2024 23:01

Mike wrote on Mon, 20 May 2024 21:45

I shouldn’t be pissed off and annoyed like this after a game 7 win, but holy crap. How long until they learn they can’t sit back like that?

Anyway - woohoo! Bring on the Stars. Hope our guys can rest up a bit.

I'll start with the positive - WOOOOHOOOO!!!! See ya Canuckleheads! It wasn't pretty, but it's a win, and we're on to Round 3.

That said, the coach has to get his head out of his hindquarters with his lead protection strategies. You could see it basically from the point where the Oilers scored their second goal. They stop attacking, they stop forechecking, they dump in and then all get back. You could suggest that it helps shot suppression, because the Canucks only had 5 third period shots, but then you remember that at one point the Oilers had a 25-5 edge in shots, and then from that point (about 35 minutes in to the game) on, they were outshot 12-4 and blocked about 300 more. If they kept playing like they had been up until that point, and we out shoot them 40-11 or something like that, are we still holding our breath and white-canuckling it through those final minutes?

We've seen Knoblauch make some important changes to his systems in this playoffs, most notably changing the defensive structure on the PK after the first three games of this series, so maybe he can take the next couple of days and come up with a better plan, because this just isn't going to work against Dallas. They need to be better, and they need to keep taking the play to the Stars.

Okay, rant over. Now just to enjoy again for a little while. Bring on the Stars!

Honestly not sure if Knob is telling these guys to hang back .he was very unhappy with the sitting back earlier in the series. After the timeout we actually started to push in the offensive zone again.

These guys need some smacks upside the head still to not start playing scared.

He may not feel that he's telling them specifically to do nothing, but you can see the strategy shift. The Oilers moved in the second period to more dump and chase - they had very few controlled entries. It was just clear that they were instructed to make sure it gets deep. Their forecheck also shifts to less aggressive - they were generally only sending one, and if the Canucks made the D-to-D pass, you would see the team retreat to behind the blue line to clog the neutral zone.

It was somewhat effective at suppressing shots on goal because everyone was blocking shots and there's lots of bodies back there, but they absolutely changed their tactics and that's definitely related to their attack fizzling in the last 25 minutes.

I also think the coach needs to come up with a new plan on breakout. What they are doing is flawed and the Canucks took advantage. If we give the puck away at our own blueline that much against Dallas, we are in real trouble.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #7) [message #834618 is a reply to message #834612 ]
Tue, 21 May 2024 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 21 May 2024 08:50

Blows me away how fans who fancy themselves as educated think it's the coach telling the players to sit back.

Blows me away how you can continuously be so pompous so as to cast aspersions to all the unwashed masses. Those masses being anyone daring to have a different opinion than you.

It's a discussion forum - it is perfectly ok for you to state your opinion/point without first belittling anyone who doesn't share your views (incoming victim post in 3....2....1...)

Don't worry man, I have no intention of commenting on your stuff very often anymore. You are just another person on this site who looks for things to complain about.

If the Oilers win the cup and it's not a sweep, I would bet someone will complain they didn't get the sweet. If in the cup clinching game, they sit back and protect a lead and it gets close but still win, someone will complain about sitting back. Or 1 day after the cup win, someone will post a complaint thread about the GM or organization on how they suck at drafting or the cap.

It took me awhile to get it but there is no changing these people. There are fans who complain to complain because that's what they like to do. Is what it is. No sense in me trying to change it.

I watched a lot of bad Oilers hockey over the years where it wasn't very much fun to be a fan. I took tons of shots from friends who were fans of other teams when the Oilers were bad. I choose to look at the positives and enjoy the ride rather than continuously seeking out the negative with the team or players.

I think you are missing the point that Mike was intending to share with you.

Let's Go Oilers!!!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #7) [message #834619 is a reply to message #834612 ]
Tue, 21 May 2024 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 21 May 2024 08:50

See, again - one of the most consistently negative posters believing that everyone else is so negative and they're the true rays of sunshine. It's fascinating really.

I mean, RDOF, you have spent more time on whipping boy players than virtually everyone in here. You've spent more time grouching about other fans than just about anyone here. The only sacred lamb for you is management, which is bonkers, since they've consistently been the biggest factor in the team you love sucking and failing to contend.

Let's be clear - Ken Holland doesn't deserve much credit for the Oilers success to this point in the playoffs. He's added two important pieces in Ekholm & Hyman, but that's the sum total of his contributions in five years as the highest paid general manager in the league. Those three players with over 20 points? All those were here before he was. The team is right at the cap, the goaltending still has big question marks, the only player he got at the deadline in the lineup last night was a fourth line centre playing his 5th game of the post-season. He's a bleeping trainwreck. I don't think anyone should be shy about saying that. I mean, don't you expect that a team with two of the top five players in the game should be a consistent contender every season?

Maybe it's easier to just complain about other fans than it is to think at all critically about the team.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #7) [message #834623 is a reply to message #834612 ]
Tue, 21 May 2024 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

1 Cup

Do you see the irony in calling yourself a positive enjoy-the-ride non-complainer when half of your posts lately are just long-winded complaints about unnamed posters (but obvious targets) on a message board?

Clean house or bust

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #7) [message #834625 is a reply to message #834545 ]
Tue, 21 May 2024 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

Count me as thinking the Oilers were done. I didn't watch game 6 because how certain I was the oil were going to lose. Doesn't make me less of a fan, I just prefer to save myself from heartache and disappointment by simply removing myself from the situation. Thrilled to be wrong.

I thought I was watching game 1 all over again with the Oilers seemingly taking their foot off the gas pedal. I strongly doubt the coach had anything to do with that strategy with the exception of stressing the simple game and the players relax. The Canucks didn't get the same message and we almost saw another rally by a super resilient team. Full points to the Canucks who shift into that gear where each shift looked like a dog on a bone. Wow.

The Oilers withstood all that. The team rallied and the option to give Skinner a look from the bench was really beneficial for him, but let's not mistake our goaltending tandem isn't the best when the heat gets turned up, neitrher is our defence who tend to collapse upon the puck carrier then remember their positioning. However man, when it's working well and the Oilers position in their 4 collapsing one chase in the defensive zone. It's a tight formation. Just keep their heads and they will be a good challenge for the Oilers.

8 more wins as g2k posted. 8 more.

Doesn't sound that hard, doesn't it? It will be the hardest wins the Oilers and their players will ever experience in their careers.

Now lots of ice baths and bandage those bruises, there is more hockey to play.

LFG.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #7) [message #834628 is a reply to message #834623 ]
Tue, 21 May 2024 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

We just need to have a beer and hug it out.

Let's Go Oilers!

Mustiness is almost at an all time Musty high, during Musty season.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #7) [message #834629 is a reply to message #834545 ]
Tue, 21 May 2024 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Just need to play 1 game over .500 in each of the next two series. That's not even a playoff point pace.

Too easy .... icon_lol

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #7) [message #834630 is a reply to message #834629 ]
Tue, 21 May 2024 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

I wonder what the Vegas odds would have been on Ceci having twice as many goals as McDavid with each having 7GP?

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #7) [message #834631 is a reply to message #834615 ]
Tue, 21 May 2024 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 21 May 2024 08:54

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 20 May 2024 23:06

Adam wrote on Mon, 20 May 2024 23:01

Mike wrote on Mon, 20 May 2024 21:45

I shouldn’t be pissed off and annoyed like this after a game 7 win, but holy crap. How long until they learn they can’t sit back like that?

Anyway - woohoo! Bring on the Stars. Hope our guys can rest up a bit.

I'll start with the positive - WOOOOHOOOO!!!! See ya Canuckleheads! It wasn't pretty, but it's a win, and we're on to Round 3.

That said, the coach has to get his head out of his hindquarters with his lead protection strategies. You could see it basically from the point where the Oilers scored their second goal. They stop attacking, they stop forechecking, they dump in and then all get back. You could suggest that it helps shot suppression, because the Canucks only had 5 third period shots, but then you remember that at one point the Oilers had a 25-5 edge in shots, and then from that point (about 35 minutes in to the game) on, they were outshot 12-4 and blocked about 300 more. If they kept playing like they had been up until that point, and we out shoot them 40-11 or something like that, are we still holding our breath and white-canuckling it through those final minutes?

We've seen Knoblauch make some important changes to his systems in this playoffs, most notably changing the defensive structure on the PK after the first three games of this series, so maybe he can take the next couple of days and come up with a better plan, because this just isn't going to work against Dallas. They need to be better, and they need to keep taking the play to the Stars.

Okay, rant over. Now just to enjoy again for a little while. Bring on the Stars!

Honestly not sure if Knob is telling these guys to hang back .he was very unhappy with the sitting back earlier in the series. After the timeout we actually started to push in the offensive zone again.

These guys need some smacks upside the head still to not start playing scared.

He may not feel that he's telling them specifically to do nothing, but you can see the strategy shift. The Oilers moved in the second period to more dump and chase - they had very few controlled entries. It was just clear that they were instructed to make sure it gets deep. Their forecheck also shifts to less aggressive - they were generally only sending one, and if the Canucks made the D-to-D pass, you would see the team retreat to behind the blue line to clog the neutral zone.

It was somewhat effective at suppressing shots on goal because everyone was blocking shots and there's lots of bodies back there, but they absolutely changed their tactics and that's definitely related to their attack fizzling in the last 25 minutes.

I also think the coach needs to come up with a new plan on breakout. What they are doing is flawed and the Canucks took advantage. If we give the puck away at our own blueline that much against Dallas, we are in real trouble.

I hope he is drilling into these players heads that our only defense is offense. Would be crazy to think that we have the D OR goaltending to ever just sit back. Burned multiple times now, just in this series.

Definitely another level of execution we'll need against Dallas. Canucks luck ran dry against us, but Dallas doesn't need luck to create loads of scoring chances, they just need to roll a few lines. TheBore has them playing a pretty consistent and dangerous game now.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #7) [message #834634 is a reply to message #834593 ]
Tue, 21 May 2024 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

No Cups

Definitely need it. Clouder in particular had a rough game and needs to pick it up. Figure out a way to get involved and make a difference. Hit, find better shot opportunities, and don't give up glorious opportunities in your own zone.

You can do it Ryan... you just have to dig deeper than you have.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #7) [message #834635 is a reply to message #834630 ]
Tue, 21 May 2024 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

No Cups

I think Connor's been playing through something this whole year. He doesn't have the same burst that he normally does and he's definitely not driving the net with the same confidence he's had in the past.

I think he's been nursing something for a while, and is trying to dish off a lot more now as we have some legit finishers.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #7) [message #834636 is a reply to message #834602 ]
Tue, 21 May 2024 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
halfafrog  is currently offline halfafrog

No Cups

I was a center in junior a few levels down from the NHL and if I left the D zone before the puck, my ass woulda been tattooed to the bench for a few shifts after. Never mind a D man. Be curious to hear what Coffey said to him after? As a center I was expected to be on both sides of the puck depending on which way it was going so I'm not sure what he was thinking. This entire series Desharnais & Nurse haven't looked the same as they did vs LA. Not sure if it's injuries? Desharnais seems to be laboring. But I did enjoy him smearing Garland repeatedly tonight. That little man has a lot of energy and drive.

This teams puck pursuit on the D side of the puck can be infuriating as it's too lame at times. They picked it up on the PK lately it seems. I just like aggressive puck pressure like Vancouver always seems to have. That passive lay back and let them take it to you tactic I can't stand. Doesn't mean you send 2 guys in but the first guy has to be really aggressive as does the second man who has to read the play well. They looked so good the first 2 periods.

I really thought Tocchet got the most out of his players. At the beginning of the year I don't think anyone expected them to go as far as they did. But he has a 3-4 year shelf life like most coaches. See how it goes in Vancouver the next 3 years.

What surprised me more than anything was Winnipeg's poor showing in the playoffs.

So this is what hope feels like?

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #7) [message #834637 is a reply to message #834602 ]
Tue, 21 May 2024 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

get 'US' tickets?! I'm so flattered you'd want to take us!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #7) [message #834638 is a reply to message #834623 ]
Tue, 21 May 2024 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

I wonder if he knows who you're talking about.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #7) [message #834640 is a reply to message #834545 ]
Tue, 21 May 2024 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Knob talking about McLeod's error

zach @zjlaing
knoblauch on mcleod's turnover, how to make sure it doesn't leave too big of a dent: "you have to be careful with that. one, you don't know how he's going to handle that the next play, the next time the puck is on his stick, what's he going to do. part of being a good defensive player is being able to make the play with the puck, but i'll tell you, that last seven, eight minutes of the game, i missed him. i wanted him out there. but you also have to be careful with how he's going to handle that. he probably would've handled it fine. i think he would've made the play, but you are not sure. i know there's a very strong, supportive team, group of players that are giving him a lot of support, and i'm sure he's going to put it behind him and he might be starting game one, opening draw against dallas, because i don't know how far we're going to get without him playing well, and playing some key situations."

Pretty good coach talk there. Hope McLeod is encouraged to keep pushing forward.

Rough playoffs for him for sure. 1.64% SH% when he's on the ice 5v5. Might be surprising to see he has 55.37% xGF 5v5, 5th highest on the team. No luck at all in the playoffs, zero bounces to be had. Also, not getting to the high scoring areas as much as he could, we can all see that. He hasn't seen a goal against on the PK yet in the 2nd unit.

Looks like a young guy that, while playing defensively pretty well (minus a huge mistake of course), can't quite figure out how to contribute in the offensive zone. He still does useful things though, we need him.

Also a funny post-game thing with Drai. He was asked about lack of depth scoring, and Drai responded that those players are doing lots of things the media sometimes doesn't appreciate. While saying that his eyes move away from the media guy asking the question and widen to stare directly at 1 particular guy in the crowd on the other side of the seats, and has an awkward pause while he glares. I'm guessing it was Spector.

[Updated on: Tue, 21 May 2024 13:02]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #7) [message #834644 is a reply to message #834640 ]
Tue, 21 May 2024 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 21 May 2024 13:00

zach @zjlaing
knoblauch on mcleod's turnover, how to make sure it doesn't leave too big of a dent: "you have to be careful with that. one, you don't know how he's going to handle that the next play, the next time the puck is on his stick, what's he going to do. part of being a good defensive player is being able to make the play with the puck, but i'll tell you, that last seven, eight minutes of the game, i missed him. i wanted him out there. but you also have to be careful with how he's going to handle that. he probably would've handled it fine. i think he would've made the play, but you are not sure. i know there's a very strong, supportive team, group of players that are giving him a lot of support, and i'm sure he's going to put it behind him and he might be starting game one, opening draw against dallas, because i don't know how far we're going to get without him playing well, and playing some key situations."

Pretty good coach talk there. Hope McLeod is encouraged to keep pushing forward.

Rough playoffs for him for sure. 1.64% SH% when he's on the ice 5v5. Might be surprising to see he has 55.37% xGF 5v5, 5th highest on the team. No luck at all in the playoffs, zero bounces to be had. Also, not getting to the high scoring areas as much as he could, we can all see that. He hasn't seen a goal against on the PK yet in the 2nd unit.

Looks like a young guy that, while playing defensively pretty well (minus a huge mistake of course), can't quite figure out how to contribute in the offensive zone. He still does useful things though, we need him.

Also a funny post-game thing with Drai. He was asked about lack of depth scoring, and Drai responded that those players are doing lots of things the media sometimes doesn't appreciate. While saying that his eyes move away from the media guy asking the question and widen to stare directly at 1 particular guy in the crowd on the other side of the seats, and has an awkward pause while he glares. I'm guessing it was Spector.

We've seen that a couple times now with Knoblauch - he benched Foegele after an ugly turnover earlier in the playoffs too. I'm not sure I 100% agree with it - I mean, if you take one of our third liners out, then you have more fourth liner time which I don't think makes us better, but at the same time, it's not like it is Connor McDavid. Hopefully it doesn't happen again.

Just from the eye test, I don't think the third line has created a lot of great chances. I think they've played decently enough, but they aren't exactly threatening with a lot of slot shots or tips or anything - too much perimeter stuff. Perry seemed consistently dangerous in the regular season, I've been surprised that he hasn't got more done in the playoffs.

Also, still not sure why Gagner isn't getting any love above the collection of grinders...

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #7) [message #834648 is a reply to message #834640 ]
Tue, 21 May 2024 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 21 May 2024 13:00

zach @zjlaing

I like what Knoblaugh did with McLeod and then the explanation. It's game 7, late in the 3rd period. It was a careless mistake. You can't make that mistake ever. I think it gave the Canucks life. Up until that point, the Canucks had generated nothing as the Oilers kept them to the outside. It was a bad mistake. Doesn't mean the player is useless and should never play another game but that is something that you can't do and can't go unaddressed.

I also agree with the thinking as to why. You could see on the bench McLeod knew he screwed up. I am sure he was thinking about it. Good chance his next shift, he would be tentative which you can't have because that's how another mistake happens.

I will be curious to see how McLeod and Foegele do against the Stars defense. I see their offensive woes as the 2 of them not being willing to go hard to the net and get into the area between the hash marks where most of the goals are scored. The Canucks had a very big, very physical, kind of dirty defense. I haven't focused on the Stars series that much but just looking at their roster, they don't look as big as Van's defense and I don't think the majority of their guys play as rough a style. So maybe they will be more inclinded to go to the net more.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #7) [message #834649 is a reply to message #834545 ]
Tue, 21 May 2024 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

The Draisaitl glare

https://twitter.com/OilerAlert/status/1792811626967793949?t= rhMqxil34IU7cQGgrM9vPA&s=19

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #7) [message #834651 is a reply to message #834649 ]
Tue, 21 May 2024 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I am sure Leon was probably directing his comment towards Spec but as much as maybe the players don't like it, for the Oilers to advance past the Stars, they need some production from the bottom 6 guys, McLeod and Foegele being the main ones. The little things Leon was referring too is important, but the Stars are going to be all over McD and Leon so they need something from those 2. That's not siding with Spec, that's just being logical.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #7) [message #834652 is a reply to message #834651 ]
Tue, 21 May 2024 14:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

The nice thing about a new series is different players will rise to the occasion. Sometimes team defensive styles do not match well for certain players and they struggle. Not that it gets easier from here on out, but a Foegele or McLeod could bust out like Holloway and Ceci did against Vancouver.

It’s a fresh start. Line matchups will be everything. If our depth players were consistent producers they wouldn’t be depth players.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #7) [message #834653 is a reply to message #834652 ]
Tue, 21 May 2024 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Pavelski 13 games 1 goal 3 assists
Steel 13 games 1 goal 3 assists
Matchment 7 games 1 goal 2 assists

If you look at the side by side stats, Dallas’s playoff production isn’t anything special. They have concerns as well. It’ll be a better series than some people expect.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #7) [message #834654 is a reply to message #834653 ]
Tue, 21 May 2024 15:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Tue, 21 May 2024 15:01

Pavelski 13 games 1 goal 3 assists
Steel 13 games 1 goal 3 assists
Matchment 7 games 1 goal 2 assists

If you look at the side by side stats, Dallas’s playoff production isn’t anything special. They have concerns as well. It’ll be a better series than some people expect.

I know everyone takes about how deep Dallas is, even the Oilers players did. Maybe I missed it but I don't hear anyone talk about the Oilers depth. They walk a lot about the Oilers top players but I looked at the stats:

Dallas top 5 scorers:
Pts: 13, 12, 11, 8, 8. Combined goals 21, combined pts 52. Heiskanen top scorer with 13, followed by Robertson. Top goal scorer. Johnson with 7, then drops too 5 with Heiskenen

Oilers top 5 scorers:
Pts: 24, 21, 20, 16, 13. Combined goals 30, combined points, 94. Leon top scorer. Top goal scorer Hyman with 11. Leon second with 8, Bouch has 5, then a couple of 4's and 2 for McD.

So the Oilers top 5 score a lot more goals and way more points.

Dallas next 5 scorers:
Pts. 6, 6, 6, 6, 4. Combined goals 11, combined pts 28.

Oilers net 5 scorers:
7, 6, 4, 4, 3. Combined goals 13, combined pts 24.

So the Oilers next 5 out goal score them by 2, trail in pts by 4.

Now Henrique only played the first round. Sounds like he will probably play this coming round. He only got into 6 games and was 1 goal, 2 pts. I have to think if he played this past round, he would have a few more goals and points.

So for all this talk about how deep Dallas is, it sure doesn't look like they are that much better if at all. Those totals I listed above exclude Foegele 1 goal and 2 pts, the goal being an empty netter and McLeod with zero pts. If they could get any production from those 2 this coming round, it might be a difference maker.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #7) [message #834655 is a reply to message #834628 ]
Tue, 21 May 2024 15:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

4 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Tue, 21 May 2024 08:35

We just need to have a beer and hug it out.

Let's Go Oilers!

Mustiness is almost at an all time Musty high, during Musty season.

.. Musty Mountain High.. isn't that a song?? :)

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #7) [message #834656 is a reply to message #834545 ]
Tue, 21 May 2024 15:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

4 Cups

.. They gotta get Todd Marchant at Game 3 rockin' an Oiler jersey .. ++ positive waves!

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #7) [message #834657 is a reply to message #834656 ]
Tue, 21 May 2024 16:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 21 May 2024 15:41

.. They gotta get Todd Marchant at Game 3 rockin' an Oiler jersey .. ++ positive waves!

I like it. Bring CuJo back for game 4.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #7) [message #834658 is a reply to message #834651 ]
Tue, 21 May 2024 16:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 21 May 2024 14:14

I am sure Leon was probably directing his comment towards Spec but as much as maybe the players don't like it, for the Oilers to advance past the Stars, they need some production from the bottom 6 guys, McLeod and Foegele being the main ones. The little things Leon was referring too is important, but the Stars are going to be all over McD and Leon so they need something from those 2. That's not siding with Spec, that's just being logical.

Think the players despise Spector because he isn't about giving useful opinions. He is mostly about picking individuals out at their low moments and writing troll articles about them. Spectors opinions have never presented a path to the team improving. He bashes players like Bouchard to no end, but will also defend terrible management to no end, and happily try to direct fans to scapegoat individual players instead of ever letting them take note of what a terrible job over a decade of oilers management has done.

Not a surprise really that his reputation keeps degrading and he can't find any way back. Too bad Rogers and most sports MSM is so lazy in their hiring.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #7) [message #834663 is a reply to message #834658 ]
Tue, 21 May 2024 20:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 21 May 2024 16:09

Think the players despise Spector because he isn't about giving useful opinions. He is mostly about picking individuals out at their low moments and writing troll articles about them. Spectors opinions have never presented a path to the team improving. He bashes players like Bouchard to no end, but will also defend terrible management to no end, and happily try to direct fans to scapegoat individual players instead of ever letting them take note of what a terrible job over a decade of oilers management has done.

Not a surprise really that his reputation keeps degrading and he can't find any way back. Too bad Rogers and most sports MSM is so lazy in their hiring.

He seems to have sunk his reputation a little more today. What an idiot.

I really hope the Oilers send out Ekholm for interviews at the next possible opportunity.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #7) [message #834669 is a reply to message #834663 ]
Tue, 21 May 2024 21:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 21 May 2024 20:27

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 21 May 2024 16:09

He seems to have sunk his reputation a little more today. What an idiot.

I really hope the Oilers send out Ekholm for interviews at the next possible opportunity.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GOJZuGdWcAAHYKq?format=jpg&name=small

Spec is always an automatic for those kinds of comments after the fact. I always get an impression he's overcompensating for something. There are fake tough guy players, Spec is totally a fake tough guy reporter. Hence how he is always trying to prey on the players he thinks have personalities where they won't fight back.

[Updated on: Tue, 21 May 2024 21:42]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #7) [message #834670 is a reply to message #834669 ]
Tue, 21 May 2024 21:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 21 May 2024 21:40

Spec is always an automatic for those kinds of comments after the fact. I always get an impression he's overcompensating for something. There are fake tough guy players, Spec is totally a fake tough guy reporter. Hence how he is always trying to prey on the players he thinks have personalities where they won't fight back.

Much like the worst fans and posters here, I always assume the worst media guys still hold a grudge from their youth as bad athletes. I know it isn't 100% but my theory has been proven true more times than not.
Many of these guys got into reporting on sports because the loved the game but they weren't good enough to play and it causes them to be snarky. Still trying to make up for a lifetime of literal and metaphorical wedgies from the "cool kids" and jocks.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #7) [message #834674 is a reply to message #834657 ]
Wed, 22 May 2024 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

1 - that was a subtle lip scratch by Drai.
2 - I'm so glad we have a coach that builds his players up. Woody did a decent job protecting his players from the media, and his predecessors over the past 15 years all just sucked at dealing with the media. Knoblauch is exactly what we have been wishing a coach would be in front of the media.
"Guy did a thing. We believe in him, he's a great part of our team and a part of our future. He's going to be great and we have full faith in him" no whipping boys, doesn't feed into the Spec and Matty BS.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #7) [message #834676 is a reply to message #834545 ]
Wed, 22 May 2024 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rowan Oil Fielding  is currently offline Rowan Oil Fielding

No Cups

https://i.postimg.cc/BbY26stg/1716257732939.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/mZ9GD3V6/php2-CH3-Yf-AM.jpg

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #7) [message #834686 is a reply to message #834545 ]
Wed, 22 May 2024 16:58 Go to previous message

6 Cups

Some mic'd up moments from the game 7. And some Knob potty mouth at the end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhWlK9IjZEQ&ab_channel=N HL

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #1)
Next Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #7)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca