This day on July 3
Acquired: Joffrey Lupul (2006) Ladislav Smid (2006) Mathieu Garon (2007) Alexandre Giroux (2010)
Departed: Todd Marchant (2003) Chris Pronger (2006) Daniel Tjarnqvist (2008)

Happy Birthday To: acmax2, oilfanthunderbay, Davos37, roxcollins

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #5)
Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to nested viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #5) [message #834261 is a reply to message #834207 ]
Thu, 16 May 2024 23:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

First bad game by our magic 5. Sadly, 1 bad game out of 5 still left us with 3 losses out of 5.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GNwWFvgXYAAPN8D?format=jpg&name=medium

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #5) [message #834262 is a reply to message #834207 ]
Thu, 16 May 2024 23:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cpcos  is currently offline cpcos

No Cups

Our team is built out of scrap players…. From Foegle, to Ryan to Perry to Nurse…. Janmark and Brown lower than scrap….
Do you guys thought ever we have a winning team?!
It’s all they can do…. win a few games by luck…. then be blown by a well built team.
It is happening since McDavid came in….. before him…. we are a bottom feeder….This is the reality…. Time to accept it.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #5) [message #834263 is a reply to message #834262 ]
Thu, 16 May 2024 23:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

cpcos wrote on Thu, 16 May 2024 23:31

Our team is built out of scrap players…. From Foegle, to Ryan to Perry to Nurse…. Janmark and Brown lower than scrap….
Do you guys thought ever we have a winning team?!
It’s all they can do…. win a few games by luck…. then be blown by a well built team.
It is happening since McDavid came in….. before him…. we are a bottom feeder….This is the reality…. Time to accept it.

Losing to the Canucks sucks though!

Wishing right now Vegas was in our division so at least we could complain about their cap cheating if we lose.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #5) [message #834264 is a reply to message #834258 ]
Thu, 16 May 2024 23:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

4 Cups

Mike wrote on Thu, 16 May 2024 22:26

Skookum Jim wrote on Fri, 17 May 2024 02:25

smyth260 wrote on Thu, 16 May 2024 22:22

..We have to take a game 7 on the road. Nobody needs that explained.

I hope they play their best 2 games of the season coming up.

Game 7's are a crap shoot, I'm not worried .. just need to win game 6.. icon_nod

Well if they play anything close to the abortion of a game they treated us to tonight, you best start getting worried.

Oh there are some guys on the Oilers I worry about alright.. but home ice advantage isn't one of my worries.. icon_smile

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #5) [message #834265 is a reply to message #834263 ]
Thu, 16 May 2024 23:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cpcos  is currently offline cpcos

No Cups

I have no idea why i hate so much JT Miller…. he is not a good player and always seem to be on a winning side…. Just sux….

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #5) [message #834266 is a reply to message #834255 ]
Thu, 16 May 2024 23:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Mike wrote on Thu, 16 May 2024 22:22

Skookum Jim wrote on Fri, 17 May 2024 02:18

Mike wrote on Thu, 16 May 2024 22:14

g2k wrote on Fri, 17 May 2024 01:51

Don’t even lightly entertain allowing Skinner anywhere near that crease on Saturday.

How good was Pickard tonight? First star on the Oilers for sure! Too bad they couldn’t give him any run support.

Normally a goal like that at the end goes in and I get angry and blurt out a few F bombs. This one went in and I just felt like “yup”. Despite the score, this was an absolute poop kicking tonight from the end of the first to the final buzzer. An embarrassing game from almost any Oiler not named Pickard.

I knew something bad was going top happen as soon as I saw Nurse on the ice at the end.. just stared at lundstrom and waited as he passed it past him (like he wasn't even there..) for the GWG.

I think his decision making is slower than ever. Like that Kopitar goal last series. He doesn’t react right away to problems - it’s like there’s a delay in registering the issue

Seems to lack instinctive reactions to defensive situations.. like each situation is a brand new problem to solve.. the good vets learn their lessons over time on what to do and it becomes instinctive (hard wired) .. don't need to ponder it in real time..
Nurse just never seems ready positionally..

[Updated on: Thu, 16 May 2024 23:48]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #5) [message #834267 is a reply to message #834265 ]
Thu, 16 May 2024 23:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

cpcos wrote on Thu, 16 May 2024 22:39

I have no idea why i hate so much JT Miller…

He's also Team USA if that helps you find a reason :)

All their best players are Team USA btw..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #5) [message #834268 is a reply to message #834259 ]
Fri, 17 May 2024 00:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Jay wrote on Thu, 16 May 2024 23:26

Mike wrote on Thu, 16 May 2024 23:08

HamBlaster wrote on Fri, 17 May 2024 02:05

Nurse is definitely going to be a waiver wire opportunity for some team next year. No one is trading for that god-awful contract.

Only 6 more years.

The good news is that once 29 and 97 are gone the rebuild is in good hands. Getting lottery picks shouldn't be a problem.

Ahh, Lottery time again soon. As a wise man said, it's just the cyclical nature of the game.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #5) [message #834269 is a reply to message #834207 ]
Fri, 17 May 2024 00:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

The magnitude of negativity I felt after that goal was so much that its caused a South Burnaby power outage.. currently typing this in the dark.. sorry neighbour's!

Hopefully BC hydro gets a crew on it soon..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #5) [message #834270 is a reply to message #834207 ]
Fri, 17 May 2024 05:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rowan Oil Fielding  is currently offline Rowan Oil Fielding

No Cups

https://i.postimg.cc/sxKZ41Pd/original.gif

https://i.postimg.cc/mZ9GD3V6/php2-CH3-Yf-AM.jpg

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #5) [message #834271 is a reply to message #834270 ]
Fri, 17 May 2024 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jay  is currently offline Jay

No Cups

Team looks and sounds done in post game.

Canucks might be too much physically. The oilers don't have any gamesmanship or push back outside of Kane.

Guys like rnh nurse, foegle, mcleoud etc etc are always going to wilt in games like this and it leaves 29 and 97 open to being abused non stop.

Holland left quite the mark on this team.

"Initiative comes to thems that wait"

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #5) [message #834272 is a reply to message #834270 ]
Fri, 17 May 2024 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

1 Cup

Got the result we deserved in that one.

On the bright side, we played like garbage for 3/4 of the game and still only just lost in the last 30 seconds. We can play MUCH better than, whereas I'm not sure that Vancouver can play any better.

Hooray for an earlier start on Saturday!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #5) [message #834273 is a reply to message #834271 ]
Fri, 17 May 2024 06:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

Jay wrote on Fri, 17 May 2024 06:25

They sound like Maple Leafs.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #5) [message #834274 is a reply to message #834273 ]
Fri, 17 May 2024 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Fri, 17 May 2024 06:54

Jay wrote on Fri, 17 May 2024 06:25

They sound like Maple Leafs.

I don't think we should tolerate this kind of hate speech here. We've got a Saturday night (at 6!!!) home playoff game coming up. The energy will be visible.

[Updated on: Fri, 17 May 2024 08:45]

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #5) [message #834275 is a reply to message #834271 ]
Fri, 17 May 2024 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kungpaobenji27  is currently offline kungpaobenji27

No Cups

Jay wrote on Fri, 17 May 2024 07:25

Holland left quite the mark on this team.

Rewatched the Oilers Fanatic Youtube preview of game 5 once again....it's crazy how the scratched forwards for Vancouver would be heavenly on the third line...maybe even top 6 of this Oilers roster.

Expect more during game 6 but have a feeling the scriptwriters would want an elimination game on HNIC

(^they can kick rocks for all I care!)

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #5) [message #834277 is a reply to message #834272 ]
Fri, 17 May 2024 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
halfafrog  is currently offline halfafrog

No Cups

Goaltending hasn't been an issue since Pickard has been playing. He has been the bright spot.

The bottom half didn't show up for game 4 which we won.

Top half didn't show up for game 5, which we lost and looked sad in.

I don't understand why this team is so passive. Almost every team plays a high puck pressure game and we stand back and watch and expect Leon & McD to do it all. I just find it weird. I also don't understand how this team can fumble the puck and never exit their zone half decently. Canucks do the same thing, throw it to a guy who is protecting the puck with his back and pivot the puck forward. We haven't adapted at all it seems. Just weird.

Tochett sure gets the most out of his players. But that has a shelf life of about 3 years. He is only half way there.

So this is what hope feels like?

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #5) [message #834279 is a reply to message #834207 ]
Fri, 17 May 2024 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

The better team won. Great first, gone for the rest.

Might be in for a terrible Saturday.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #5) [message #834281 is a reply to message #834277 ]
Fri, 17 May 2024 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

halfafrog wrote on Fri, 17 May 2024 09:40

Goaltending hasn't been an issue since Pickard has been playing. He has been the bright spot.

I don't understand why this team is so passive. Almost every team plays a high puck pressure game and we stand back and watch and expect Leon & McD to do it all. I just find it weird. I also don't understand how this team can fumble the puck and never exit their zone half decently. Canucks do the same thing, throw it to a guy who is protecting the puck with his back and pivot the puck forward. We haven't adapted at all it seems. Just weird.

Tochett sure gets the most out of his players. But that has a shelf life of about 3 years. He is only half way there.

Think our top guys taking a beating by the Canucks D is starting to show. Hyman looks really slow out there now, he's taken huge hits in this series. Drai keeps getting nailed in the back. McDavid getting rubbed out every time he's near the boards.

Sadly our D are all stick wavers and barely wear down any forwards. We really needed to capitalize on our play in the first 4 games, but some trash D, goaltending (these 2 issues were both predicted to be a problem down to the specific players by almost every fan that pays attention a year ago) and an ill advised attempt to protect a lead for 30 minutes sabotaged 2 of the games. We've been run down to finally have 1 bad game, and somehow it has resulted in losing 3/5.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #5) [message #834282 is a reply to message #834281 ]
Fri, 17 May 2024 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jay  is currently offline Jay

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 17 May 2024 10:31

Think our top guys taking a beating by the Canucks D is starting to show. Hyman looks really slow out there now, he's taken huge hits in this series. Drai keeps getting nailed in the back. McDavid getting rubbed out every time he's near the boards.

Sadly our D are all stick wavers and barely wear down any forwards. We really needed to capitalize on our play in the first 4 games, but some trash D, goaltending (these 2 issues were both predicted to be a problem down to the specific players by almost every fan that pays attention a year ago) and an ill advised attempt to protect a lead for 30 minutes sabotaged 2 of the games. We've been run down to finally have 1 bad game, and somehow it has resulted in losing 3/5.

Was thinking the exact same thing about Hyman. Hasn't been the same since those massive hits in game 2 (I think it was game 2). Last night he looked like a shell of himself. Likely concussed.

Again they need players who can push back and bring an element of a deterrent because the refs are never going to do it in the playoffs.

Guys like zadorov are dominant because there can essentially do whatever they want against teams like the oilers.

"Initiative comes to thems that wait"

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #5) [message #834283 is a reply to message #834282 ]
Fri, 17 May 2024 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Jay wrote on Fri, 17 May 2024 10:47

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 17 May 2024 10:31

Was thinking the exact same thing about Hyman. Hasn't been the same since those massive hits in game 2 (I think it was game 2). Last night he looked like a shell of himself. Likely concussed.

Again they need players who can push back and bring an element of a deterrent because the refs are never going to do it in the playoffs.

Guys like zadorov are dominant because there can essentially do whatever they want against teams like the oilers.

We had a GM with no plan aside from spending every dime the second he got it on the biggest name UFA's and patchwork players. Unfortunately, don't really expect us to be a well rounded team that can respond to much of anything. Definitely not heavy physical play. Kane could get involved, but we let him go the whole year with a hernia. And he can't do it all alone anyways.

Hope our big guys can find some more in the tank on Saturday. If we win, we love to have a huge letdown after an emotional win, so I would then hope that whoever is in net is ready to have to steal a game. Of course, the idea of any goalie in our org stealing a game seems insane to me. 5 years of Holland and all hopes lie with a zero confidence 25 year old having a mirror of his playoffs a year ago and a career mediocre backup. Amazing.

Not bashing Pickard just to note. He was one of the handful of guys that showed up last night. He gave us a chance. We looked completely spent though by the 2nd period. Needed a fluke goal to win that game last night. PDO kings we are not.

[Updated on: Fri, 17 May 2024 10:55]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #5) [message #834284 is a reply to message #834283 ]
Fri, 17 May 2024 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

I have to assume we are going with Pickard again tomorrow - absolutely nothing to reproach him for his 2+ games. Fun stat - he has as many .900+ games as Skinner in these playoffs! More if you count his 16 minutes of shutout hockey in game 3.

As for the rest of the roster - is Sam Gagner not an option? I know he's not a bruiser, but he's not scared to go in the corners, and he still has hands. I'd have him in there ahead of at least a couple of the guys on the roster.

And Adam Henrique...1 goal, 1 assist in 6 playoff games for a first round pick. I know you can't predict those things, but it still sucks. He didn't put up a ton of points, but sure would have been nice to have him there the last few games. Any chance he plays Saturday?

And just looking at the numbers - same story. We've got the stars leading the way at the top, but no help form the depth. The bottom 6 point producers have given us 0 goals and 4 assists in 44 man games (Carrick 1A 3GP, Brown 1A 4GP, Ryan 1A 7GP, Vinnie 1A 10GP, McLeod NOTHING 10GP, Perry NOTHING 10GP). I know some of those guys kill penalties, but 0s across the board for Perry and McLeod is not acceptable. At least Perry creates a little bit of havoc I suppose, but McLeod? Finish a check my guy. Dear god - this is the Stanley Cup playoffs!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #5) [message #834285 is a reply to message #834207 ]
Fri, 17 May 2024 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Still can't believe the Oilers couldn't get 1 goal on the pp last night.

If Pickard was in net starting the series, I think Oilers would be moving on by now.

Time to flush and play the next.

https://i.makeagif.com/media/11-11-2018/AIjctV.gif

[Updated on: Fri, 17 May 2024 12:16]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #5) [message #834286 is a reply to message #834285 ]
Fri, 17 May 2024 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Fri, 17 May 2024 12:09

If Pickard was in net starting the series, I think Oilers would be moving on by now.

People praising some kind of Canucks adjustment on the PK, but we have seen that PP from our guys before. Everyone holding the puck too long and trying to force plays that aren't there. When we are on we eat a PK that is too aggressive alive with quick passes and good movement. That was 100% self defeat and straight up choking on the PP last night. Shame. Got goaltending and loads of PP's. Just couldn't get a thing done.

[Updated on: Fri, 17 May 2024 12:32]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #5) [message #834287 is a reply to message #834284 ]
Fri, 17 May 2024 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Fri, 17 May 2024 11:47

I have to assume we are going with Pickard again tomorrow - absolutely nothing to reproach him for his 2+ games. Fun stat - he has as many .900+ games as Skinner in these playoffs! More if you count his 16 minutes of shutout hockey in game 3.

As for the rest of the roster - is Sam Gagner not an option? I know he's not a bruiser, but he's not scared to go in the corners, and he still has hands. I'd have him in there ahead of at least a couple of the guys on the roster.

And Adam Henrique...1 goal, 1 assist in 6 playoff games for a first round pick. I know you can't predict those things, but it still sucks. He didn't put up a ton of points, but sure would have been nice to have him there the last few games. Any chance he plays Saturday?

And just looking at the numbers - same story. We've got the stars leading the way at the top, but no help form the depth. The bottom 6 point producers have given us 0 goals and 4 assists in 44 man games (Carrick 1A 3GP, Brown 1A 4GP, Ryan 1A 7GP, Vinnie 1A 10GP, McLeod NOTHING 10GP, Perry NOTHING 10GP). I know some of those guys kill penalties, but 0s across the board for Perry and McLeod is not acceptable. At least Perry creates a little bit of havoc I suppose, but McLeod? Finish a check my guy. Dear god - this is the Stanley Cup playoffs!

There is basically no option other than going with Pickard in Game 6 (and Game 7 too for that matter). The margin of error is none now, and so you can't hope that Skinner doesn't have another one of THOSE games. If we lose, I really don't know what you do this summer though. We're basically left with two lame duck goalies and Pickard is a UFA who you wouldn't ever keep as the de facto starter. Ken Holland has completely screwed the pooch on this one, and it'll take some heroics to overcome his ridiculous incompetence.

All that said, the Oilers are the better team and they've showed it in all but Games 2 and 5. Bizarrely the team playing better has lost several of the games this round, but you'd expect that to even out and if the team comes ready to play, we should be able to take two more games against the Vancouver Canucks - with either goalie really.

I'd like to see the team play a little more desperate, and with more of a focus on attacking. We seem so intent on keeping as many bodies between the puck and our goal that we sometimes miss pressuring the puck carrier - and we can't be successful being that passive. We also will draw more penalties if we're attacking as the Canucks will continue to foul and at some point the ref has to blow the whistle on some of those infractions.

A couple more adjustments though and we should be fine. We're overdue to blow out this goalie.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

VancouveRe: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #5) [message #834289 is a reply to message #834286 ]
Fri, 17 May 2024 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

Van definitely adjusted their PK plan last night. They worked with the same plan that deflated our PP last playoffs too. constant pressure. When teams pull back and try to block the lane, we pass and score. When our PP gets under constant pressure, we cough it up. No, not all the time, and we still get shots off, but heavy pressure is the way to defend our PP.

Re: VancouveRe: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #5) [message #834290 is a reply to message #834289 ]
Fri, 17 May 2024 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Dragon_Matt wrote on Fri, 17 May 2024 13:52

Van definitely adjusted their PK plan last night. They worked with the same plan that deflated our PP last playoffs too. constant pressure. When teams pull back and try to block the lane, we pass and score. When our PP gets under constant pressure, we cough it up. No, not all the time, and we still get shots off, but heavy pressure is the way to defend our PP.

If it was that easy every team would do it. When we aren't skating and trying to force stupid passes, we just beat ourselves. Constant pressure ensures we have players open to receive passes. When McDavid Nuge and Drai are on their games, they can toy with that pretty easily. That was just a total crap game for all those guys. We invited pressure by standing still, plus other guys not moving to provide passing options.

We did the same thing 2 games ago in the third period. Complete choke on 2 late PP's that gave us a golden opportunity to get back in the game, doing the same thing of being stationary and just lazily forcing plays. Acting completely different from our PP earlier in the same game. How shallow we are 5v5, knowing our only hope is the PP in some games, seems to really break our guys brains sometimes.

[Updated on: Fri, 17 May 2024 14:07]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #5) [message #834291 is a reply to message #834286 ]
Fri, 17 May 2024 16:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 17 May 2024 11:23

Skookum Jim wrote on Fri, 17 May 2024 12:09

People praising some kind of Canucks adjustment on the PK, but we have seen that PP from our guys before. Everyone holding the puck too long and trying to force plays that aren't there. When we are on we eat a PK that is too aggressive alive with quick passes and good movement. That was 100% self defeat and straight up choking on the PP last night. Shame. Got goaltending and loads of PP's. Just couldn't get a thing done.

Can you imagine if instead of RNH they had a real sniper RHS (like a Stamkos) on the left side bookending Leon on the right side? McDavid would be dishing sweet saucers for snipes every PP .. opposing defences would get dizzy trying to who decide to cover.. right now no one even worries about RNH's shot.. muffins to the logo.. his only value right now on the PP is the puck handling..

[Updated on: Fri, 17 May 2024 17:02]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: VancouveRe: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #5) [message #834292 is a reply to message #834289 ]
Fri, 17 May 2024 17:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Dragon_Matt wrote on Fri, 17 May 2024 12:52

They were especially targeting the zone entry on the PP's.. McDavid wasn't getting in clean, like he always does.. wasted half the PP re-organizing outside the offensive zone.. they need to mix up the zone entries.. fake a drop back or do a give and go.. or maybe someone else take it in and hit McDavid on the fly as he goes for the net.. problem is Oilers just don't have anyone else that's a threat to gain the zone effectively on the PP.. McLeod is the next best on the team because of his speed.. but then he's not useful after that.. so not a PP option.. LD isn't fast enough.. and neither is RNH..
Oilers need a strategy to counter the Canucks overload on McDavid.. soon!

[Updated on: Fri, 17 May 2024 17:03]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: VancouveRe: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #5) [message #834293 is a reply to message #834292 ]
Fri, 17 May 2024 17:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Fri, 17 May 2024 17:00

Dragon_Matt wrote on Fri, 17 May 2024 12:52

They were especially targeting the zone entry on the PP's.. McDavid wasn't getting in clean, like he always does.. wasted half the PP re-organizing outside the offensive zone.. they need to mix up the zone entries.. fake a drop back or do a give and go.. or maybe someone else take it in and hit McDavid on the fly as he goes for the net.. problem is Oilers just don't have anyone else that's a threat to gain the zone effectively on the PP.. McLeod is the next best on the team because of his speed.. but then he's not useful after that.. so not a PP option.. LD isn't fast enough.. and neither is RNH..
Oilers need a strategy to counter the Canucks overload on McDavid.. soon!

Or McDavid just doesn't have the juice to do what he wants anymore. We were very disorganized on entries, especially after a trash play would lose us the zone. Lots of dif players were trying to enter alone and quickly losing it.

"Insider" Tim Peel saying McDavid and Hyman may be broken

Tim Peel @TimCPeel20
Hearing Connor McDavid is dealing with an injury and Zach Hyman is banged up as well. Every team has injuries but this will be a challenge for #LetsGoOilers if they are to beat the #Canucks

Possible we are kinda screwed. Let our top guys get the crap kicked out of them by a huge D group for 25 mins a night because everyone else is useless. Extremely punishing series. Even if we do fluke it out, having to go 2 more rounds of playing 5 guys to death against even better teams is not going to work out.

Hollands 5-year plan (that was never actually a plan) not looking good.

[Updated on: Fri, 17 May 2024 17:12]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #5) [message #834295 is a reply to message #834207 ]
Fri, 17 May 2024 21:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Player added?[ 9 vote(s) ]
1.Gagner 5 / 56%
2.Carrick 0 / 0%
3.Stecher 2 / 22%
4.Broberg 2 / 22%
5.Erne 0 / 0%

If you added a player.. who would it be?

[Updated on: Fri, 17 May 2024 21:29]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #5) [message #834296 is a reply to message #834207 ]
Fri, 17 May 2024 21:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Who do you take out?[ 8 vote(s) ]
1.Foegle 1 / 13%
2.Perry 1 / 13%
3.Ryan 1 / 13%
4.Brown 1 / 13%
5.Ceci 4 / 50%

.. and who do you take out?

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #5) [message #834297 is a reply to message #834296 ]
Sat, 18 May 2024 00:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

2 Cups

Sounds like skinner might start. I don’t agree with that at all. Pickard has been rock solid in net. Skinner has proven to be a choker. Even with rest, I don’t trust skinner in the playoffs. Would much rather Pickard in there, but that’s just me.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #5) [message #834298 is a reply to message #834207 ]
Sat, 18 May 2024 00:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MJ  is currently offline MJ

No Cups

I just got a Canucks fan friend to tell me that "Sorry MJ, they are done". Hope his team is as over-confident as he is. Come on, win tomorrow! I would love to watch a game 7 on my day off Monday!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #5) [message #834299 is a reply to message #834297 ]
Sat, 18 May 2024 00:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MJ  is currently offline MJ

No Cups

tardigrade81 wrote on Fri, 17 May 2024 23:17

Sounds like skinner might start. I don’t agree with that at all. Pickard has been rock solid in net. Skinner has proven to be a choker. Even with rest, I don’t trust skinner in the playoffs. Would much rather Pickard in there, but that’s just me.

Had to find this somewhere, Stauffer has been spilling the beans again I see so strong possibilities in this:

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey /stuart-skinner-back-in-net-for-edmonton-oilers-carrick-in-f or-perry-new-third-line-sounds-like-it

Re: VancouveRe: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #5) [message #834300 is a reply to message #834293 ]
Sat, 18 May 2024 01:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 17 May 2024 16:10

Or McDavid just doesn't have the juice to do what he wants anymore. We were very disorganized on entries, especially after a trash play would lose us the zone. Lots of dif players were trying to enter alone and quickly losing it.

"Insider" Tim Peel saying McDavid and Hyman may be broken

Tim Peel @TimCPeel20
Hearing Connor McDavid is dealing with an injury and Zach Hyman is banged up as well. Every team has injuries but this will be a challenge for #LetsGoOilers if they are to beat the #Canucks

Possible we are kinda screwed. Let our top guys get the crap kicked out of them by a huge D group for 25 mins a night because everyone else is useless. Extremely punishing series. Even if we do fluke it out, having to go 2 more rounds of playing 5 guys to death against even better teams is not going to work out.

Hollands 5-year plan (that was never actually a plan) not looking good.

Neither have been playing anywhere near their potential. I don't even remember the last time McDavid slammed it into 5th gear and blew past the other team.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #5) [message #834301 is a reply to message #834299 ]
Sat, 18 May 2024 01:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

MJ wrote on Fri, 17 May 2024 23:20

Had to find this somewhere, Stauffer has been spilling the beans again I see so strong possibilities in this:

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey /stuart-skinner-back-in-net-for-edmonton-oilers-carrick-in-f or-perry-new-third-line-sounds-like-it

Perry might not be that fast.. but he's got extreme high puck IQ, gamesmanship, and he actually knows how to put the puck in the net .. from anywhere.. he's a threat to score.. Carrick is not any of that.. marginal NHL'er..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #5) [message #834309 is a reply to message #834301 ]
Sat, 18 May 2024 11:16 Go to previous message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Sat, 18 May 2024 01:25

MJ wrote on Fri, 17 May 2024 23:20

Perry might not be that fast.. but he's got extreme high puck IQ, gamesmanship, and he actually knows how to put the puck in the net .. from anywhere.. he's a threat to score.. Carrick is not any of that.. marginal NHL'er..

I think issue for Perry is this series is too quick for his current abilities. Knob has been working hard to shelter him and start him in the offensive zone, and he still had 0 GF, 2 GA on his stat sheet for the series. He has about 15 seconds to get something done before he looks out of gas and, worst case, he is just standing in our zone barely able to help his teammates get the puck back out of our zone.

Lots of guys look exhausted after 5 games. Might be time to get some fresh legs in. Perry would probably look a lot more comfortable in a slower series against Dallas.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #6)
Next Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #5)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca