 |
Skookum Jim Messages: 6364
Registered: March 2006
Location: Burnaby, BC
6 Cups
|
|
| mightyreasoner wrote on Mon, 14 September 2026 12:47 | I always wished the EIG got a little more love from the Oilers after Katz bought it. I'm not sure what. But I think it is important to acknowledge Edmonton wouldn't have an NHL team today without them... and especially without Cal Nichols.
He built quite a legacy, and every spring playoff run, every McDavid goal, it never would have happened here without him stepping up when we needed it most.
|
https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey /cal-nichols-hero-of-the-city-saviour-of-the-oilers-visionar y-of-the-downtown-arena-has-died
Staples has a great write up of Nichols background, and life achievements andhow he started out.. from running a gas station at 19 in a small town in Sask.. to starting the Gasland service station company.. guy was a maverick.. great character and total class.
He stood up to take the lead with the EIG and saving Edmonton NHL hockey from getting sold to the US.. he's left behind an awesome legacy.
Great Edmontonian. 👍🏻🙂
McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!! (Thank you Lord!)
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
|
|
|
|