This day on June 2
Acquired: Scott Ferguson (1994)

Happy Birthday To: Red Rage, stefenanthony

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Oilers are the oldest team in the NHL
Switch to flat viewSwitch to nested viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Oilers are the oldest team in the NHL [message #830829 is a reply to message #830826 ]
Tue, 12 March 2024 15:59 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 12 March 2024 11:07

inverno76 wrote on Tue, 12 March 2024 09:35

The plan has to be win a Cup soon and often, but the oldest team in the league is a bit misleading. The core is still in it's prime. Aside from Hyman (32) Kane (33) and Ekholm (34), it is Henrique (34), Gagner (35), Ryan (38) and Perry (39) who are all on expiring contracts that drive the average up.

**I hope moving Kane in the offseason is a plan that is on the table. I love what he can bring at times, but it is far too inconsistent for his price point and he is a rapidly depreciating asset.

I've seen the narrative of Kane makes too much money by others before. You have a guy barely making above 5 mill who all he does is put up 20+ goal seasons almost exclusively 5 on 5 because he gets squat PP time on the Oilers. He's got 21 this year and will probably be around 25 by the time the season is done. He will hit, fight and intimidate if you need him too. He can kill penalties if you need him too. Yet in comparison, Oilers fan fav Eberle, just signed an extension for 4.75 mill. He won't score 20 this year, he's got 14 right now so he probably ends up in the high teens by seasons end. He doesn't kill penalties, nor does he bring the physical things Kane does and he doesn't skate as well.

I'm trying to understand what Kane should be making. Kane will make 375 more than Eberle. If the rough market says a 30+ year old guy who can score you 20 goals is worth around 4.75 mill. If a player scores more than Eberle and does more things then Eberle, should he not make a tiny bit more? Or do you think the Eberle contract is an overpay as well?

I more concerned about the rumblings that Kane is no longer a happy camper. When he scores 35 he's out earning his contract and the problematic on-ice attitude that has shown up over his career is much easier to deal with.

Also Kane only get's a small amount of PK time. Resume filler .... And I would not want Eberle at 4.75M to take Kane's 2/3 line role unless it was on an expiring deal. I believe Kane does bring more to the table than Eberle, but if possible I would not have either in the lineup for multiple years moving forward.

Send a private message to this user  

Read Message Oilers are the oldest team in the NHL
By: Kr55 on Mon, 11 March 2024 17:08
Read Message Re: Oilers are the oldest team in the NHL
By: tardigrade81 on Tue, 12 March 2024 08:58
By: inverno76 on Tue, 12 March 2024 09:35
By: RDOilerfan on Tue, 12 March 2024 11:07
By: inverno76 on Tue, 12 March 2024 15:59
By: Kr55 on Tue, 12 March 2024 18:54
By: welcometotheOC on Tue, 12 March 2024 20:33
By: Kr55 on Wed, 13 March 2024 08:14
By: Kr55 on Tue, 12 March 2024 12:22
By: RDOilerfan on Tue, 12 March 2024 12:40
By: Kr55 on Tue, 12 March 2024 18:46
By: Adam on Tue, 12 March 2024 22:08

Previous Topic:Pregame: Washington @ Edmonton (Game #64)
Next Topic:Review: Edmonton @ Pittsburgh (Game #63)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca