This day on September 28
Acquired: Eldon Reddick (1989) Kevin Lowe (1996)

Happy Birthday To: GagnerRocks, Scribe

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Tampa Bay (Game #16)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to nested viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Review: Edmonton @ Tampa Bay (Game #16) [message #827322 is a reply to message #827320 ]
Mon, 20 November 2023 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Sun, 19 November 2023 16:12

HamBlaster wrote on Sun, 19 November 2023 11:40

.. I find myself very disappointed with Bouchard and Ekholm, McLeod, Brown, McDavid and Draisaitl. Bouchard scores and is a wizard sometimes in the offensive zone, but he's not a particularly scary PP quarterback (because he stands still) and he's an absolute dumpster fire on D.
His vision on O makes the lack of vision on D totally inexcusable. He can see the ice... he just chooses not to. That is brutally frustrating and I do find myself angry at him almost all the time.

Ekholm just looks.... off... and doesn't seem to be able to cover for Bouch the way he did last year. He's not communicating with Evan now the way he was earlier, and we're seeing the results of that. Evan doesn't communicate with anyone particularly well, however I thought he'd found some level of synergy with Ek. I guess not.

McLeod is the definition of a public skate dynamo. Lots of flash and flair, but zero in terms of real production and threat. I don't know if I've seen a player that is more gifted that just achieves absolutely nothing meaningful. Also, the PK is a gong show and he could be saving himself by really excelling there. I love McLeod's smile and positivity, however he needs to start producing something. Anything. Hit someone. Do something meaningful and don't just go for a public skate every shift. Ruffle some feathers.

Totally agree on Bouchard and McLeod.. described my sentiments perfectly..

Regarding Ekholm, I think he's still injured.. I heard him say whatever was ailing him he'll have to deal with for the rest of the season.. so it has to be something significant.. So I'm less concerned about his play.. at least when he gets healthy you'd expect he'll play at a higher level than he is currently.. which is already pretty effective.

As for Brown.. I hoped he'd be more effective out of the gate.. as did most.. but I'm giving him some time to acclimatize back up to the NHL level pace before I can toss him on the scrap heap..

I agree with the McLeod's comments. These are his stats since Feb 12, 2023
23-24 - 16GP 0G 2A
Playoffs - 12GP 0G 5A
22-23 Since Feb 12 17GP - 1G 5A

So that's 45 games with 1 goal, 12A. That's over half a seasons worth of games. He has to score something!

Ekholm, he started off hurt but I personally have thought he's looked like himself the last few weeks movement wise, the problem is his partner is complete chaos. Why do you create D pairings and keep them together? To build chemistry and to make it so each partner knows what the other guy will do on a play. You have to be able to trust that your partner will do their job so you can concentrate on yours. Does anyone know what Bouchard will do on any given play defensively?

The other team is about to get the puck out of their zone and the puck will be going to Bouchards side. Ekholm sees it, starts to back up. He thinks, there is 2 guys coming, maybe a trailer for 3. My partner has the right, I have the left. We got it covered. OH CRAP! Bouch fing pinched again, now it's 2-1, now I have to do this and this and try to cover that.

Or Puck is going to Bouch's corner, I cover the front. OH crap, Bouch isn't skating again, now I better go get it.

Or Bouch has the guy in front, I need to attack the puck carrier in the corner. OH CRAP, Bouch isn't covering anyone again..

There is zero predictability with Bouchard on the dzone. There appears to be zero defensively awareness in his game. There appears to be zero risk awareness when it comes to the defensive side as he will pinch anytime even if the chance to get it is zero. Once the puck crosses the opponents blueline, it appears Bouchard's level of urgency and compete when it comes to anything defensively drops off a cliff. So I have to imagine being Bouchard's partner is extremely difficult.

Send a private message to this user  

Read Message Review: Edmonton @ Tampa Bay (Game #16)
By: OilFans on Sat, 18 November 2023 16:30
Read Message Re: Review: Edmonton @ Tampa Bay (Game #16)
By: K.McC#24 on Sat, 18 November 2023 16:43
By: nullterm on Sat, 18 November 2023 16:45
By: Adam on Sat, 18 November 2023 16:49
By: tardigrade81 on Sat, 18 November 2023 16:50
By: Skoobz on Sat, 18 November 2023 17:02
By: HamBlaster on Sun, 19 November 2023 12:40
By: Skookum Jim on Sun, 19 November 2023 16:12
By: RDOilerfan on Mon, 20 November 2023 08:38
By: Kr55 on Sat, 18 November 2023 17:11
By: K.McC#24 on Sat, 18 November 2023 17:17
By: Kr55 on Sat, 18 November 2023 17:32
By: Skookum Jim on Sat, 18 November 2023 17:59
By: Kr55 on Sat, 18 November 2023 18:28

Previous Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #17)
Next Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Tampa Bay (Game #16)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca