This day on July 5
Acquired: Scott Ferguson (2000) Allan Rourke (2007)
Departed: Georges Laraque (2006) Jaroslav Spacek (2006) Jan Hejda (2007)

Happy Birthday To: anm8r, shannon23, homeof99, DanW91

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Erosion of Value
Switch to flat viewSwitch to nested viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Erosion of Value [message #824811 is a reply to message #824805 ]
Fri, 30 June 2023 15:40 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
benv  is currently offline benv

No Cups

A few issues I have with the narrative of your post:

1) You look solely at what the return was on the Oilers' first round picks while ignoring what that pick actually contributed to the team. Who cares what the Oilers got for a past his prime Ales Hemsky in 2013--they got a dozen productive years out of the player. I'm sure they could have traded him in 2007 and got a better return than they did but they would have missed out on several productive Hemsky years. The Oilers thought it would be more useful to hang on to the player. These trades need to be evaluated by comparing the return the Oilers received and balance it with what the players did as Oilers and what they did once they left the Oilers.

2) You are looking at the list in isolation without comparing it to other teams. If we made a similar list for every team in the league would the Oilers be near the bottom in terms of getting the most out of their picks? Maybe, but you present no evidence of this and just assume it on your authority to be true. I remember a few years somebody on here (it might have been you) made a similar list (I think it was about how poor the Oilers' drafted goalies turned out), so I picked a team at random at did the same thing--and lo and behold the lists were very similar.

3) For the majority of the period you list, the Oilers were not a Stanley Cup contender and thus were more likely to hang on to their draft picks rather than trade them. We've seen now that they are in contention mode they are making the kinds of trades you want with the Ekholm deal (giving up their 2022 and 2023 first rounders). In 10 or 15 years we will be able to evaluate the careers of Schaeffer and Molendyk and evaluate the trade. Maybe they both turn into stars, maybe they both bust--we just don't know right now. Would either case make you re-evaluate the Ekholm trade? I don't think it should.

As for Yamamoto, I don't understand some of your arguments. They could have traded him two years ago and probably got some value for him, but at that time they thought it was better to hang on to him so he could contribute to the team--they did not have the clairvoyance to see the position they would be in today--nor do you. I guess you can criticize the contract they signed him to, but if they really want him at a lesser value, they could always sign him for less as a UFA once Detroit buys him out.

Anyway I agree with some posters on here that your hatred of Oilers' management is effecting your thinking. To paraphrase Raylan Givins: If you think one Oilers' GM is incompetent, then he's probably incompetent. If you think every Oilers' GM is incompetent, then maybe there's something else going on.

Send a private message to this user  

Read Message Erosion of Value
By: Adam on Fri, 30 June 2023 15:04
Read Message Re: Erosion of Value 
By: benv on Fri, 30 June 2023 15:40
By: Adam on Fri, 30 June 2023 15:57
By: inverno76 on Fri, 30 June 2023 17:26
By: Goose on Fri, 30 June 2023 19:42
By: inverno76 on Sat, 01 July 2023 10:59
By: Dragon_Matt on Sat, 01 July 2023 12:31

Previous Topic:Oilers sign Lane Pederson
Next Topic:Janmark back for 1 year
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca