This day on July 3
Acquired: Joffrey Lupul (2006) Ladislav Smid (2006) Mathieu Garon (2007) Alexandre Giroux (2010)
Departed: Todd Marchant (2003) Chris Pronger (2006) Daniel Tjarnqvist (2008)

Happy Birthday To: acmax2, oilfanthunderbay, Davos37, roxcollins

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #42)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to nested viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Review: Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #42) [message #799319 is a reply to message #799307 ]
Wed, 09 February 2022 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Horrible, horrible game.

The team looked like they did during that bad streak. Pretty much every top guy looked terrible. I thought the only guy that looked remotely decent was Kane.

McD and Leon looked like they spent the 3,4, 5 days they were in Vegas sitting by the pool with their women drinking. They looked slow, disinterested and didn't generate much. When you make a combined 21 million, yes depth is important but you need to produce something. That's their job and why they make so much.

Before the break Nuge and Hyman looked fantastic. Last night they were horrible. Nuge -3, Hyman -2. didn't generate anything.

JP and Yamo were mostly invisible. I don't know what's up with JP but it's just not working no matter where he plays. Yamo, I can appreciate that for a little guy he tries for pucks but I just think he's not a good enough top 6 guy and I think he is a case where his size is something he may not overcome to be overly successful in the NHL.

I thought Kassian was alright. He was physical which he needs to be every game but he's not a top 6 guy. THe double clutch on that Leon set up not even able to get a shot off may it pretty clear.

I thought the 4th line was meh. They can kill penalties but there is no identity. I think they badly need a bigger, more physical guy on that line.

Bouchard was BAD. Like really, really bad. I know the knock on him was his sense of urgency and his lack of defensive/danger awareness, well it was on display last night. I think he's going to be one hell of an offensive dman but man he needs to work on the rest of the game. Bad, bad night.

Nurse I don't think was great but I wonder how much of it was his partner who was a train wreck.

Keith was solid.

Ceci was OK. As a pair, they were the best.

Barrie a freaking train wreck, maybe his worse game as an Oiler. I wonder if he is nursing something because he was out not long ago with an upper and lower body. He looked a step slower than I remember and got burned a lot. The second goal I give fault to both McD and Barrie. First McD had tons of time and space to rip a shot. He was standing on the freaking dot on his forehand with traffic and JP in front to bang in a rebound or tip it and Leon on the side of the crease. Why the hell wouldn't you want to shoot!! But he throws a pass to Barrie instead with a Vegas guy standing maybe 10-12 ft from him and Barrie shoots it, of course it gets block because the chances of it getting through were slim and goes the other way. 2 mistakes by 2 vets.

Smith. Brutal. First goal, sure it was a 2 on 1 but it was shot all the way from the centerline. There was no pass available as the defender at least cut that off well. So Smith saw the guy coming for a very long time to be set. No screen, no tip, no threat of tip, no threat of pass. A low, on the ice shot that went through him. Can't go in ever. I didn't like the 3rd goal either. It wasn't as gross as the first 1 but he was SOOO deep in his net and just looked bizarre trying to stop it. The 4th goal, I always hate those. We have a 6'7 and Smith is 6'5 goalie and they are on the ice making themselves look small. Good shot by Smith from Vegas but still why are guys that tall giving up that much room up top. The cherry on top is Smith flexing his leg in parts of the second and 3rd period. Is he that brittle now that you breath on him and he tweaks something or more correctly and this is my opinion, he's a bit of a primadonna type who it doesn't matter what test you run say, what the trainer says or doctors, he's the type that in his mind "Something isn't right". Just a brutal start for him and for a guy who in my opinion, owes this team a hell of a lot.

Last comment. It won't happen but I would absolutely LOVE IT, if Tippett or whoever the hell coaches this team next to institute a penalty for every time they pass up a great chance to shoot. The amount of overpassing this team continues to do is mind boggling and it's been a problem for years. It happens on the PP and everywhere else. They have odd man rushes and rather than shoot, they pass it. Case in point. The McD line. 3 on 2. McD has the puck in the middle and forces Vegas defenders to back in so McD has tons of time and space right in the middle of the slot. Great shooting position. He passes off to I think Yamo on his right. Yamo has the puck at the faceoff dot, with both McD AND KANE driving the net so another pretty darn good shooting spot. So rather than shoot, he fires a pass cross ice to Kane whos now at the corner of the net with not much to shoot at and I think he may have been able to direct the puck on goal for a weak ass shot.

So I would love it, if the coaches took the game tape, watched it after the game and just start charging guys for passing up good looks for moronic, poor percentage plays. Nothing bad ever happens if you put the puck on goal with guys going to the net. Worse case you force the goalie to make a good save. Best case it goes in, maybe it hits a defender or your guy and goes in or the goalie spits out a rebound to be banged in. Nothing bad happens when you shoot from a good spot. So I would charge them for every passed up shot and then donate the money to charity. But the amount of times these guy pass up good shots is ridiculous and it's a cancer that has spread to the entire team.

I know my post is super long but I needed to vent.

[Updated on: Wed, 09 February 2022 09:39]

Send a private message to this user  

Read Message Review: Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #42)
By: OilFans on Tue, 08 February 2022 21:30
Read Message Re: Review: Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #42)
By: g2k on Tue, 08 February 2022 21:31
By: Adam on Tue, 08 February 2022 21:33
By: g2k on Tue, 08 February 2022 21:40
By: Kr55 on Tue, 08 February 2022 21:35
By: Slim Jim Phantom Call on Wed, 09 February 2022 02:30
By: CrudeRemarks on Tue, 08 February 2022 21:36
By: watchman on Tue, 08 February 2022 21:48
By: g2k on Tue, 08 February 2022 21:49
By: Skookum Jim on Tue, 08 February 2022 22:15
By: Skookum Jim on Tue, 08 February 2022 22:18
By: Skookum Jim on Tue, 08 February 2022 22:26
By: watchman on Tue, 08 February 2022 22:38
By: stemhovlichski on Wed, 09 February 2022 00:06
By: Skookum Jim on Wed, 09 February 2022 00:03
By: Kr55 on Wed, 09 February 2022 01:00
By: Goose on Wed, 09 February 2022 01:05
By: CrusaderPi on Wed, 09 February 2022 01:18
By: Skookum Jim on Wed, 09 February 2022 07:12
By: Kr55 on Wed, 09 February 2022 07:28
By: RDOilerfan on Wed, 09 February 2022 09:37
By: Dragon_Matt on Wed, 09 February 2022 11:48
By: Rocksteady on Wed, 09 February 2022 09:02
By: RDOilerfan on Wed, 09 February 2022 12:43

Previous Topic:Worst of the Worst
Next Topic:GDT: Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #42)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca