Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » What is with this team?
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 What is with this team? [message #838385]
Sun, 20 October 2024 14:06 Go to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

No Cups

Can we get off of the rollercoaster?

Why can't this squad have lower highs and higher lows? It's almost always a team that looks like they couldn't win a game to save their life, or a team that cannot be stopped. Right now, I don't care as much about the wins and losses as I do about the absolutely neutered offense. It seems like this has been building for a few years as well.

Hyman, Nuge and Arvidsson all with zero points to start the season. Bouch looks like he forgot that he's playing in the NHL and has regressed to OHL-level hockey; can't get shots through and when he does he's continually missing the net. And defense? What's defense?

Even McDavid and Drai look cooked; just no real desire to get into the dirty areas and put it in. Just a bunch of perimeter play and this desire to have every goal be some sort of highlight for the ages.

Just put the damn puck on the net, get into the dirty areas and get a plugger's goal or five. Get back to the damn basics and bear down on your chances.

This iteration of the Oil is always so frustrating to watch. High, low, high, low.... lowwwwww, highhhhhhhhhh... never just a neutral effort.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: What is with this team? [message #838386 is a reply to message #838385 ]
Sun, 20 October 2024 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

1 Cup

In an alternate universe, we kept Holloway Broberg McLeod who add 12 points.

Compared to Nuge Nurse Hyman who have 4 points at an order of magnitude more salary.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: What is with this team? [message #838387 is a reply to message #838386 ]
Sun, 20 October 2024 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

nullterm wrote on Sun, 20 October 2024 14:15

Compared to Nuge Nurse Hyman who have 4 points at an order of magnitude more salary.

Those 2 would be butt dragging like everyone else if they were still here. With the added pressure from teammates and fans with how they were cool bailing from the Oilers signing an offer sheet.

Starts with the leaders in this team and they are still sleep walking for the most part. They get all the prime offensive minutes and aren’t getting the job done.

Depth has actually been decent IMO. Skinner letting in deflating stinkers. Nurse has been much better with Stecher than pretty much anyone last year. Top “scorers”, special teams and goaltending are the main killers so far this season. Still trending for almost the same start as last year.

[Updated on: Sun, 20 October 2024 15:29]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: What is with this team? [message #838389 is a reply to message #838387 ]
Sun, 20 October 2024 18:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 20 October 2024 13:28

Those 2 would be butt dragging like everyone else if they were still here. With the added pressure from teammates and fans with how they were cool bailing from the Oilers signing an offer sheet.

Starts with the leaders in this team and they are still sleep walking for the most part. They get all the prime offensive minutes and aren’t getting the job done.

Depth has actually been decent IMO. Skinner letting in deflating stinkers. Nurse has been much better with Stecher than pretty much anyone last year. Top “scorers”, special teams and goaltending are the main killers so far this season. Still trending for almost the same start as last year.

I agree goaltending needs to be better, and defence as well. We have 2/3 bubble guys for two D roster spots and that isn’t what you want if you are planning a major campaign this season. And we got lucky with Skinner last year but here we are again with him giving up one or two softies a game and that’s gotta be deflating.

Overall my other biggest concern is this team looks like it has faulty spark plugs. Top to bottom, everyone so far is going thru the motions. We’ve only shown up for 2 out of 6 games so far this season. I hope they aren’t counting for another miracle like last year, I think that magic bean has been spent.

Re: What is with this team? [message #838390 is a reply to message #838389 ]
Mon, 21 October 2024 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

1 Cup

If we weren't generating chances I'd be concerned.

We're dead last in the entire league in terms of goals for above expected and it's not even close, at -7.1. The next closest is -4.4.
Also second to last in shooting percentage at 4.9% (only Nashville is lower, at 4.35%)

It'll even out, just like it did last year. Just frustrating to watch in the mean time.

Re: What is with this team? [message #838391 is a reply to message #838390 ]
Mon, 21 October 2024 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Mon, 21 October 2024 08:40

If we weren't generating chances I'd be concerned.

We're dead last in the entire league in terms of goals for above expected and it's not even close, at -7.1. The next closest is -4.4.
Also second to last in shooting percentage at 4.9% (only Nashville is lower, at 4.35%)

It'll even out, just like it did last year. Just frustrating to watch in the mean time.

It is kind of crazy.

Last year at this point in the season our all situation PDO was 0.943. This year it is 0.903.

Last season SJ finished with 0.974.

Think we are actually getting more help from depth this year than last when the team was in the toilet. But our lack of finish by our top guys is on another level right now. sav% a bit worse too.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: What is with this team? [message #838392 is a reply to message #838386 ]
Mon, 21 October 2024 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jay  is currently offline Jay

No Cups

The Nurse contract is so bad that it could very well single handedly prevent two of the greatest players ever from winning a cup.

Im not greedy.. In my alternate universe they simply traded nurse for future considerations after the 21 season. Everything else takes care of itself.

"Initiative comes to thems that wait"

Re: What is with this team? [message #838394 is a reply to message #838392 ]
Mon, 21 October 2024 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

4 Cups

Jay wrote on Mon, 21 October 2024 09:09

.. The Nurse contract is so bad that it could very well single handedly prevent two of the greatest players ever from winning a cup.

Im not greedy.. In my alternate universe they simply traded nurse for future considerations after the 21 season. Everything else takes care of itself.

Tend to agree.. that Nurse contract has to be one of the worst in the league.. NMC.. and can't even buy it out.. once McDavid is paid.. and Bouchard.. that $9.25M Nurse contract will stink even worse.. prevents acquisitions.. and prevents retaining our own developed talent . as we saw this summer (Holloway and Broberg)... Broberg was the 3rd best D-man on the team at the end of last season..

GM failed to complete their fundamental task.. .. find talent.. retain talent..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: What is with this team? [message #838393 is a reply to message #838385 ]
Mon, 21 October 2024 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

Everyone is sleepwalking.

Getting chances yes, but unable to bury them. I see the tea leaves as the Oilers being a wild card playoff team this year.

Our defence is anemic.

Scorers can't score.

Sick of it all, every damn year it's like this.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: What is with this team? [message #838395 is a reply to message #838393 ]
Mon, 21 October 2024 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

1 Cup

I thought this was the year we set ourselves up to win the division, and have a home playoff series past round 1.

Of course that still can happen. 2-4 is not a mountain to climb. But last year we had to have a 16 game winning streak to get where we were after we dug that huge hole. Can’t rely on that again. Top teams are usually the top teams all year long.

Just never easy despite having the top end talent we have.

[Updated on: Mon, 21 October 2024 13:23]

Clean house or bust

Re: What is with this team? [message #838396 is a reply to message #838393 ]
Mon, 21 October 2024 14:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Mon, 21 October 2024 11:31

Getting chances yes, but unable to bury them. I see the tea leaves as the Oilers being a wild card playoff team this year.

Our defence is anemic.

Scorers can't score.

Didn't the team outplay Dallas for vast stretches of the game Saturday? Honestly, we're only 6 games in to the season. I think people need to step back from the ledge a little. I'm not convinced that this segment of games is representative of much, especially given the PDO numbers. That looks like a team that's probably a little unlucky.

There's probably a bit of a hangover from last year - as I said before, it's a challenge to be a whisker away from accomplishing your dream and then to go back to the very start again.

We all know that the team isn't perfect here, but we also can clearly see that the team is trying to maximize cap space in order to make a run - even sacrificing a prospect that they'd probably have preferred to keep simply because it'll give them more room at the deadline.

I have no doubt that the PP will come around. I don't doubt that Hyman and Nuge will start contributing more. I don't doubt that we're not going to finish the year at miles below 1.000 PDO. The goaltending may not ever be top level, but I think it can and will be much better than it has looked up to now. Ditto the defence.

Let's see where we're at at 20 games in. I'll be shocked if we're not worlds better.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireBobbyNicks

Re: What is with this team? [message #838397 is a reply to message #838396 ]
Mon, 21 October 2024 15:10 Go to previous message

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Mon, 21 October 2024 13:49

Rocksteady wrote on Mon, 21 October 2024 11:31

Our defence is anemic.

Scorers can't score.

Didn't the team outplay Dallas for vast stretches of the game Saturday? Honestly, we're only 6 games in to the season. I think people need to step back from the ledge a little. I'm not convinced that this segment of games is representative of much, especially given the PDO numbers. That looks like a team that's probably a little unlucky.

There's probably a bit of a hangover from last year - as I said before, it's a challenge to be a whisker away from accomplishing your dream and then to go back to the very start again.

We all know that the team isn't perfect here, but we also can clearly see that the team is trying to maximize cap space in order to make a run - even sacrificing a prospect that they'd probably have preferred to keep simply because it'll give them more room at the deadline.

I have no doubt that the PP will come around. I don't doubt that Hyman and Nuge will start contributing more. I don't doubt that we're not going to finish the year at miles below 1.000 PDO. The goaltending may not ever be top level, but I think it can and will be much better than it has looked up to now. Ditto the defence.

Let's see where we're at at 20 games in. I'll be shocked if we're not worlds better.

They were getting plenty of shots and keeping Dallas shot count low... but it felt like one of those games where they weren't really dangerous, and you knew Dallas was going to eventually wake up and we'd be in trouble. Atleast that was my feeling while watching the game.

Next Topic:Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #6)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca