This day on October 22
Acquired: Greg Hawgood (1990)
Departed: Vladimir Ruzicka (1990)

Happy Birthday To: Oilertime, wyliecat, B.Oilers

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #4)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #4) [message #838306]
Tue, 15 October 2024 22:30 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final (OT)

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
Congratulations to: g2k for predicting the score.

Edmonton to win:   88%
Philadelphia to win:   13%
16 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #4) [message #838320 is a reply to message #838306 ]
Tue, 15 October 2024 23:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

https://media2.giphy.com/media/3ohryhNgUwwZyxgktq/200w.gif?cid=82a1493bc21m6kzffuhqaq2jzir6kwbjc2xew24g1vml4fzq&ep=v1_gifs_related&rid=200w.gif&ct=g

Never in doubt.

Just kidding, was very much in doubt. But a some key guys woke up as this game went on and we looked like a team with some guts again. Good on Stecher defending Skinner, and Perry throwing some gasoline on the fire to get the team going even more.

[Updated on: Tue, 15 October 2024 23:13]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #4) [message #838321 is a reply to message #838320 ]
Tue, 15 October 2024 23:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
watchman  is currently offline watchman

1 Cup

...enjoy this one. god

(I will ignore the fact of how much effort it took to beat a bad Philly team. Totally ignore it. icon_biggrin )

...this time, it's for real (isn't it?).

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #4) [message #838322 is a reply to message #838321 ]
Wed, 16 October 2024 00:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

No Cups

Nice win, especially considering how much of a tire fire the first period was. Not sure what the deal is with McDavid and shooting, however he kept looking back on the breakaway in OT before he muffin'd the puck. I get that it worked out in the end, but how did he go from being a 60+ goal scorer to having zero confidence with his shot?

Happy with the result, and extra happy with Stecher, the bottom six, Nurse, Perry, Knoblauch's benching of Leon after the bad penalty at the end of the second, and Stu's fight in net to keep the boys in the game.

Negatives... Emberson was a total gong show, Bouch was a train wreck until the end of the third, and Nuge and Hyman were totally invisible outside of seeing the play die on their sticks.

[Updated on: Wed, 16 October 2024 00:17]

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #4) [message #838325 is a reply to message #838322 ]
Wed, 16 October 2024 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

HamBlaster wrote on Wed, 16 October 2024 00:07

Nice win, especially considering how much of a tire fire the first period was. Not sure what the deal is with McDavid and shooting, however he kept looking back on the breakaway in OT before he muffin'd the puck. I get that it worked out in the end, but how did he go from being a 60+ goal scorer to having zero confidence with his shot?

Happy with the result, and extra happy with Stecher, the bottom six, Nurse, Perry, Knoblauch's benching of Leon after the bad penalty at the end of the second, and Stu's fight in net to keep the boys in the game.

Negatives... Emberson was a total gong show, Bouch was a train wreck until the end of the third, and Nuge and Hyman were totally invisible outside of seeing the play die on their sticks.

Thought Jeff Skinner was creating offense all night too. Great heads up play to set Brown up. I want to see Skinner with McDavid asap. Skinner has always been a good rush offense guy and good offensive awareness in chaotic situations.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #4) [message #838324 is a reply to message #838321 ]
Wed, 16 October 2024 05:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jay  is currently offline Jay

No Cups

watchman wrote on Tue, 15 October 2024 23:17

...enjoy this one. god

(I will ignore the fact of how much effort it took to beat a bad Philly team. Totally ignore it. icon_biggrin )

Philly is bad but the Oilers have had some terrible 'breaks' (officiating, logic defying rules, posts etc) go against them. Getting through a night like that after this start with a win is big.

That tying goal was a thing of beauty wow.

90 looks like he's turned back the clock - hopefully he can keep up this pace.

"Initiative comes to thems that wait"

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #4) [message #838327 is a reply to message #838324 ]
Wed, 16 October 2024 18:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

4 Cups

Jay wrote on Wed, 16 October 2024 04:34

...enjoy this one. god

Philly is bad but the Oilers have had some terrible 'breaks' (officiating, logic defying rules, posts etc) go against them. Getting through a night like that after this start with a win is big.

The Hyman goal called off was one the worst I've seen.. even the one called off on C. Perry was abysmal.. we've all seen those goals have been consistently determined to be "good goals" .. whoever is sitting in the booth making the decisions on the reviews at NHL Corp needs to be fired.. maybe use an AI program.. can't be worse.

Also, the non-call on Couturier putting the shoulder into Skinner behind the net was also a penalty called 99.9% of the time (the 0.1 % being this one) .. Incompetent refereeing recently.

Not the entire reason the Oilers are 1-3 .. but comical refereeing leading to called off goals and powerplays against have been a significant disadvantage.. changes the entire flow and momentum of a game.

Loved Stetcher going after Couturier.. smallest guy on Oilers going against tallest guy on Philly.. then the oldest Oiler takes on Farabee.

I've been disappointed in J. Skinner, but last night (to me) he finally indicated some of his higher level skills and puck control..

The good news is McDavid is playing no where near his potential .. lots of upside to look forward to.

Brown, Janmark, Henrique looked dialed in

PK is a tire fire.. no pressure on the point men.. maybe lost the speed to do so with McLeod, Foegle gone (?).. too much of a collapse towards the net combined with weak shot blocks.. too many shots getting through

Early opinion.. Nurse doesn't seem to play any better "recovered from injury" .. poor decisions.. weak on the cycle.. inaccurate muffin shot

[Updated on: Wed, 16 October 2024 18:39]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #4) [message #838328 is a reply to message #838327 ]
Wed, 16 October 2024 19:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 16 October 2024 18:36

...enjoy this one. god

The Hyman goal called off was one the worst I've seen.. even the one called off on C. Perry was abysmal.. we've all seen those goals have been consistently determined to be "good goals" .. whoever is sitting in the booth making the decisions on the reviews at NHL Corp needs to be fired.. maybe use an AI program.. can't be worse.

Also, the non-call on Couturier putting the shoulder into Skinner behind the net was also a penalty called 99.9% of the time (the 0.1 % being this one) .. Incompetent refereeing recently.

Not the entire reason the Oilers are 1-3 .. but comical refereeing leading to called off goals and powerplays against have been a significant disadvantage.. changes the entire flow and momentum of a game.

Loved Stetcher going after Couturier.. smallest guy on Oilers going against tallest guy on Philly.. then the oldest Oiler takes on Farabee.

I've been disappointed in J. Skinner, but last night (to me) he finally indicated some of his higher level skills and puck control..

The good news is McDavid is playing no where near his potential .. lots of upside to look forward to.

PK is a tire fire.. no pressure on the point men.. maybe lost the speed to do so with McLeod, Foegle gone (?).. too much of a collapse towards the net combined with weak shot blocks.. too many shots getting through

Early opinion.. Nurse doesn't seem to play any better "recovered from injury" .. poor decisions.. weak on the cycle.. inaccurate muffin shot

I missed before that the actual hit on the goalies glove that prevented the save was by the Philly defender icon_dead

Crap like that is why those kinds of plays are ruled a goal and the burden is put on the defending team to challenge. That's a joke of a call by the refs and extremely rare. A giant leap of judgement by the ref brought out of the woodwork just for us.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #4) [message #838329 is a reply to message #838328 ]
Wed, 16 October 2024 21:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

4 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 16 October 2024 18:45

...enjoy this one. god

I missed before that the actual hit on the goalies glove that prevented the save was by the Philly defender icon_dead

Crap like that is why those kinds of plays are ruled a goal and the burden is put on the defending team to challenge. That's a joke of a call by the refs and extremely rare. A giant leap of judgement by the ref brought out of the woodwork just for us.

Should be an automatic review by the NHL on goals that are even remotely questionable.. NFL does it on every TD.. the NFL also uses "video review assist" to look at and verify even mundane calls like offsides, and illegal procedure. In the NHL you have to risk a POWER PLAY against .. PLUS a lost time out.. in order to challenge referee incompetence... a huge risk.. NHL just sheltering their refs from scrutiny

[Updated on: Wed, 16 October 2024 21:47]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #4) [message #838330 is a reply to message #838329 ]
Wed, 16 October 2024 23:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leia  is currently offline Leia

No Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 16 October 2024 21:45

...enjoy this one. god

Should be an automatic review by the NHL on goals that are even remotely questionable.. NFL does it on every TD.. the NFL also uses "video review assist" to look at and verify even mundane calls like offsides, and illegal procedure. In the NHL you have to risk a POWER PLAY against .. PLUS a lost time out.. in order to challenge referee incompetence... a huge risk.. NHL just sheltering their refs from scrutiny

Let's keep the hits on Skinner in this game and against that lot on Sunday, the goals pulled back all noted, so that come play off time we can use them in dubious goals for ourselves and of course instances of blind refs as well akin to the McDavid high stick in Vancouver.

As for the game, slowly oh so very slowly things are turning, but I hate the fact it takes this team like a month to two months back to start being ready for the new season. It's a long season and the like, but we don't half like putting ourselves in difficult situations and putting us fans through hell before it clicks.

Take me home, country road
to the place where I belong
to Alberta, to see the Oilers
take me home, country road

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #4) [message #838334 is a reply to message #838330 ]
Thu, 17 October 2024 08:33 Go to previous message

6 Cups

Leia wrote on Wed, 16 October 2024 23:58

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 16 October 2024 21:45

...enjoy this one. god

Let's keep the hits on Skinner in this game and against that lot on Sunday, the goals pulled back all noted, so that come play off time we can use them in dubious goals for ourselves and of course instances of blind refs as well akin to the McDavid high stick in Vancouver.

As for the game, slowly oh so very slowly things are turning, but I hate the fact it takes this team like a month to two months back to start being ready for the new season. It's a long season and the like, but we don't half like putting ourselves in difficult situations and putting us fans through hell before it clicks.

Good news is lots of other good teams in the West are struggling. Colorado can't get a single save. The PDO Kings in Vancouver are under 1 PDO. The current top competition is the rag tag Calgary Lames who are fully embracing the underdog energy, for now. Knights are gonna do their thing, and hopefully we don't sleep walk any more and just hand the division title to them.

Nothing matter of course if we don't get it together for real, and soon. Don't have much faith in falling back on a coach bump to save the day 2 years in a row.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #4) [message #838323 is a reply to message #838306 ]
Wed, 16 October 2024 04:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rutuu  is currently offline Rutuu

No Cups

Every journey starts with a single step. They don't ask how they ask how many.

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #4) [message #838326 is a reply to message #838306 ]
Wed, 16 October 2024 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Until about 5 minutes into the second period, this team looked very disconnected. Over 10 periods of hockey was like watching a low budget movie with the lip sync being off from the actors voices. Passes in the skates, two feet ahead, or just behind the skater.

Hopefully this is the turning point.

Previous Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #5)
Next Topic:GDT: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #4)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca