This day on October 16
None

Happy Birthday To: Pouzar, duckys42

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Pregame: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #3)
Switch to nested viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Pregame: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #838233]
Sun, 13 October 2024 02:00 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final
Score Prediction
Login To Make Your Prediction

Edmonton to win:   80%
Calgary to win:   20%
15 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

2024-25 Regular Season
Sunday, October 13, 2024Calgary 4 @ Edmonton 1Loss
Sunday, November 3, 2024Edmonton @ Calgary
Saturday, March 29, 2025Calgary @ Edmonton
Home Record: 0-1-0       Road Record: 0-0-0       Overall Record: 0-1-0
Home / Road Goals For: 1/0 Total: 1
Home / Road Goals Against: 4/0 Total: 4

2023-24 Regular Season
Sunday, October 29, 2023Calgary 2 @ Edmonton 5Win
Saturday, January 20, 2024Edmonton 3 @ Calgary 1Win
Saturday, February 24, 2024Calgary 6 @ Edmonton 3Loss
Saturday, April 6, 2024Edmonton 4 @ Calgary 2Win
Home Record: 1-1-0       Road Record: 2-0-0       Overall Record: 3-1-0
Home / Road Goals For: 8/7 Total: 15
Home / Road Goals Against: 8/3 Total: 11

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Pregame: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #838234 is a reply to message #838233 ]
Sun, 13 October 2024 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

No Cups

This is probably an unpopular opinion, however McDavid doesn't look happy, doesn't have good body language and is giving the puck away in both zones like crazy.

Is McDavid sending a message that he doesn't want to be here? Even his interviews are "meh, whatever" and super dismissive and nonchalant. He looks like he wants out.

The point is, the team feeds off of the behaviour and attitude of their captain and leaders. If he was no nonsense and was playing hard and smart hockey, we'd likely see a sharper team. Instead, it looks like he's being forced to go out there and has decided to play pond shinny instead of NHL hockey.

This is the same thing that happened with Draisaitl last year. He had this blasé attitude and was playing like he didn't care... and the team looked rough. These two need to be committed to playing hockey and giving a damn, and the team will rally around them. I will say that Drai looks fine so far; he's in the mix and is in the fight.

This is either going to be a 5 - 4 game for the Oil, or a 7 - 0 blowout for the Flames.

[Updated on: Sun, 13 October 2024 11:41]

Re: Pregame: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #838236 is a reply to message #838234 ]
Sun, 13 October 2024 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

HamBlaster wrote on Sun, 13 October 2024 11:05

This is probably an unpopular opinion, however McDavid doesn't look happy, doesn't have good body language and is giving the puck away in both zones like crazy.

Is McDavid sending a message that he doesn't want to be here? Even his interviews are "meh, whatever" and super dismissive and nonchalant. He looks like he wants out.

He hasn't been peak McDavid, but I have read his body language a different way. I see a guy who is so competitive that he has spent the offseason fuming/dwelling about being so close to the cup and losing. It is a long season but I am sure every loss, maybe even every GA is grinding him.

He goes through stretches like this when he has too much in his head. I don't see a guy playing pond hockey, I see a guy trying to do too much. Often when McDavid isn't at his best, it because of this, especially the turnovers.

When the best players are close to the contract renewal window, there will be a lot of reading into things and seeing a sign of staying or leaving. I will leave that to the media.
I have about 1% worry that McDavid leaves.
I also think McDavid, his play, his body language is 100% about him wanting to win and not about his contract situation.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Pregame: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #838237 is a reply to message #838236 ]
Sun, 13 October 2024 15:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oiltec  is currently offline oiltec

No Cups

IMO I think what we are seeing is a team that is so far out of balance in terms of having two all-world players and the rest of the team made up of good to average players. When those 2 players are not playing up to their elevated potential then the team is not going to deliver what fans have come to expect of this group. It seems to me this is our reality.

Re: Pregame: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #838248 is a reply to message #838236 ]
Sun, 13 October 2024 20:26 Go to previous message
Rutuu  is currently offline Rutuu

No Cups

PlusOne wrote on Sun, 13 October 2024 12:17

HamBlaster wrote on Sun, 13 October 2024 11:05

He hasn't been peak McDavid, but I have read his body language a different way. I see a guy who is so competitive that he has spent the offseason fuming/dwelling about being so close to the cup and losing. It is a long season but I am sure every loss, maybe even every GA is grinding him.

He goes through stretches like this when he has too much in his head. I don't see a guy playing pond hockey, I see a guy trying to do too much. Often when McDavid isn't at his best, it because of this, especially the turnovers.

When the best players are close to the contract renewal window, there will be a lot of reading into things and seeing a sign of staying or leaving. I will leave that to the media.
I have about 1% worry that McDavid leaves.
I also think McDavid, his play, his body language is 100% about him wanting to win and not about his contract situation.

Agree. Draisatl signing was the sign that he'll be here. If he signed elsewhere after Leon signed longterm I'd be floored. It would be the ultimate heel turn, and like you I see less than 1% chance of that.

Previous Topic:GDT: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #3)
Next Topic:Review: Chicago @ Edmonton (Game #2)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca