This day on October 16
None

Happy Birthday To: Pouzar, duckys42

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #1)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #838168]
Wed, 09 October 2024 22:30 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win:   90%
Winnipeg to win:   10%
10 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #838169 is a reply to message #838168 ]
Wed, 09 October 2024 22:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Welp. Skinner, not good. All day session with the positive thinking dude tomorrow.

Emberson. I'm having doubts that he can elevate the game of a guy that makes 10x as much as him. Shame on him! We trusted you Emberson!!!! YOU WERE THE CHOSEN ONE!!!

Overall one of those games where nothing seemed to work. Better get over it quick or Quenneville will be getting a call soon.

[Updated on: Wed, 09 October 2024 22:37]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #838170 is a reply to message #838169 ]
Wed, 09 October 2024 22:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

I'm starting to wonder if Bowman's plan is to swing a trade for RHD sometime within the next month. This current group needs help badly.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #838171 is a reply to message #838170 ]
Wed, 09 October 2024 22:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

No Cups

The Oilers almost always stink out the joint in the season opener. Not surprised.

That said, Leon and some of the Oilers better chew on those words about not putting too much stock in the preseason. They looked pretty bad then and they looked extra bad tonight. They could have played two full games and I doubt they were going to score on Hellebuyck tonight.

J Skinner looked like he was really struggling to find a groove with Leon and Viktor, and Nuge and McDavid looked totally disinterested.

That was rough to watch in person; I'm guessing it looked just as brutal on TV.

Re: Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #838172 is a reply to message #838171 ]
Wed, 09 October 2024 23:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

The great thing about the Oilers is that they're never boring. The fans will never get the disease where they're bored of success. Everything is always a challenge.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #838173 is a reply to message #838170 ]
Wed, 09 October 2024 23:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Wed, 09 October 2024 22:45

I'm starting to wonder if Bowman's plan is to swing a trade for RHD sometime within the next month. This current group needs help badly.

You kinda have to find a perfect player too. I hope after such a short time he has a read on what is actually needed on the 2nd pair here.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #838191 is a reply to message #838169 ]
Thu, 10 October 2024 23:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

4 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 09 October 2024 21:35

..Emberson. I'm having doubts that he can elevate the game of a guy that makes 10x as much as him. Shame on him! We trusted you Emberson!!!! YOU WERE THE CHOSEN ONE!!!

Ha! Yeah, funny how its up to a rookie D-man to "help" a 9 year veteran NHL defenseman (making $9.2M) to finally realize the potential he's been projected to have since draft day.. isn't it usually the vet defenseman that is supposed to help the rookie realize his potential.. ? Maybe its been the projections for Nurse's potential that have been the issue .. (?)

Only guy that can make Nurse a useful NHL D-man is Nurse.

Regardless .. the guy is buyout proof.. and untradeable (NMC).. stuck with him..

[Updated on: Thu, 10 October 2024 23:16]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #838174 is a reply to message #838168 ]
Wed, 09 October 2024 23:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

1 Cup

It would be nice to cruise to a division championship one of these years with McDavid…

Clean house or bust

Re: Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #838175 is a reply to message #838168 ]
Wed, 09 October 2024 23:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

1 Cup

I blame the jersey ads.

Clean house or bust

Re: Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #838176 is a reply to message #838175 ]
Wed, 09 October 2024 23:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jerekybeef  is currently offline jerekybeef

No Cups

Was at the game. Drove 8 hours for that garbage. Everyone sucked a bag of weens. No hitting, zero physicality. Not even close to looking like what a game 7 SCF team looks like. Totally pathetic top to bottom. Nurse stinks and Emberwhatever is worse. Skinner was putrid.

"Make the Oilers great again" - Donny Tramp

Re: Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #838177 is a reply to message #838168 ]
Thu, 10 October 2024 05:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rutuu  is currently offline Rutuu

No Cups

We're on track for a fairytale reunion of Quenville and Bowman by Xmas. It's all about the playoffs anyway. Let's just enjoy the ride.

Re: Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #838178 is a reply to message #838177 ]
Thu, 10 October 2024 06:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

1 Cup

Glad I didn't stay up to watch that one. Oh well, turn it around vs the Hawks

Re: Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #838179 is a reply to message #838178 ]
Thu, 10 October 2024 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Thu, 10 October 2024 09:13

Right there with you brother.

As exciting as it was to see us climb out of that hole last year, I'd be happy to not have to do it again.

Re: Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #838180 is a reply to message #838179 ]
Thu, 10 October 2024 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rowan Oil Fielding  is currently offline Rowan Oil Fielding

No Cups

Mike wrote on Thu, 10 October 2024 14:29

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Thu, 10 October 2024 09:13

Right there with you brother.

As exciting as it was to see us climb out of that hole last year, I'd be happy to not have to do it again.

Me three. Fell asleep an hour before game time and didn't wake up until 2 am. Checked the forum and saw I dodged a bullet and promptly fell back asleep. 😴

https://i.postimg.cc/mZ9GD3V6/php2-CH3-Yf-AM.jpg

Re: Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #838181 is a reply to message #838168 ]
Thu, 10 October 2024 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

That sucked, but it's only one game. Forget it and move on.

Listened to some of the first period from the car last night. Pretty clear from Bob Stauffer that the new Oilers media whipping boy is going to be Jeff Skinner. In short order, he pointed out that Skinner was a guy who's never played a post-season game, questioned whether he was ready for the pace here, compared him unfavourably to Arvidsson (a comparison that doesn't seem particularly relevant - they're both just wingers on the team, and I believe on opposite sides, so not competing with each other really) - it got to the point where even Jack Michaels thought it was too far and said "it is early yet..."

Skinner led the team in shots last night in just 13 minutes of action so he wasn't awful. I really hope they don't start the drum beat on him early and make his landing here uncomfortable all season. It won't help us.

Also, I hope the other Skinner bounces back, because I don't have any faith in Picard carrying the mail.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireBobbyNicks

Re: Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #838183 is a reply to message #838181 ]
Thu, 10 October 2024 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 10 October 2024 09:31

Listened to some of the first period from the car last night. Pretty clear from Bob Stauffer that the new Oilers media whipping boy is going to be Jeff Skinner. In short order, he pointed out that Skinner was a guy who's never played a post-season game, questioned whether he was ready for the pace here, compared him unfavourably to Arvidsson (a comparison that doesn't seem particularly relevant - they're both just wingers on the team, and I believe on opposite sides, so not competing with each other really) - it got to the point where even Jack Michaels thought it was too far and said "it is early yet..."

Skinner led the team in shots last night in just 13 minutes of action so he wasn't awful. I really hope they don't start the drum beat on him early and make his landing here uncomfortable all season. It won't help us.

Also, I hope the other Skinner bounces back, because I don't have any faith in Picard carrying the mail.

Skinner will be interesting to watch this year for sure. Think he'll find a way to get points. Hopefully he proves people wrong about defensive effort.

Arvidsson has a big catch with all that effort. Guy has been getting hurt a lot as he gets older. He looked right on the edge of an injury a couple times last night.

I'm almost starting to think that we might need to see if we finally have the offensive depth to create a 2nd line without Drai. I begged for years to make Drai elevate guys on a 2nd line to balance scoring, but I don't really like our 1st line, and maybe we actually have pieces for a decent middle 6 group to compliment a top loaded 1st line. Nuge has to drop down IMO. And before having him on the 2nd line, I'd actually like to see how Henrique does there.

Drai - McDavid - Hyman
Skinner - Henrique - Arvidsson
Janmark - Nuge - Brown

Can balance the minutes for the 2nd and 3rd line more so we aren't overplaying guys, especially someone like Arvidsson. This team is OLD. Feel like pacing some of these guys will be important.

[Updated on: Thu, 10 October 2024 10:04]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #838187 is a reply to message #838181 ]
Thu, 10 October 2024 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rutuu  is currently offline Rutuu

No Cups

You're right. It's not Jeff Skinner's fault that he isn't a young #4 dman.

The 5D chess move though, is that when people dump on Skinner this year, there's a shred of doubt which one you mean. Could help the goaltending. :)

Re: Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #838190 is a reply to message #838181 ]
Thu, 10 October 2024 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

4 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 10 October 2024 08:31

I agree with Stauffer.. JSkinner has looked slow and ineffective all pre-season and unnoticeable in last nights game.. maybe he has a Connor-Brown-turn-around .. hopefully.. I thought he'd be way more mobile when we signed him.. and a good complimentary addition for Leon.. skill and mobility wise.. hasn't shown it..
Its all up to JSkinner.

Arvidson by comparison has shown indications he will be a positive addition to the top 6.. both in preseason and last night.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #838207 is a reply to message #838190 ]
Fri, 11 October 2024 21:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 10 October 2024 22:57

I agree with Stauffer.. JSkinner has looked slow and ineffective all pre-season and unnoticeable in last nights game.. maybe he has a Connor-Brown-turn-around .. hopefully.. I thought he'd be way more mobile when we signed him.. and a good complimentary addition for Leon.. skill and mobility wise.. hasn't shown it..
Its all up to JSkinner.

Arvidson by comparison has shown indications he will be a positive addition to the top 6.. both in preseason and last night.

I didn't watch anything but preseason highlights so this game was the first I saw of new Skinner.
I didn't think he was bad. Definitely didn't notice him being slow or out of position. I did think he did a good job of finding open space in the o-zone as a passing target. Didn't notice him much on D coverage, good or bad.
No one was good in this game so hanging any blame on Jeff seems premature.

I have an 8 game rule I use with any new player before I pass much judgement.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #838214 is a reply to message #838207 ]
Sat, 12 October 2024 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jerekybeef  is currently offline jerekybeef

No Cups

Old Skinner was the worst Skinner by far

"Make the Oilers great again" - Donny Tramp

Re: Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #838226 is a reply to message #838207 ]
Sat, 12 October 2024 22:45 Go to previous message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Fri, 11 October 2024 21:18

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 10 October 2024 22:57

Its all up to JSkinner.

I didn't watch anything but preseason highlights so this game was the first I saw of new Skinner.
I didn't think he was bad. Definitely didn't notice him being slow or out of position. I did think he did a good job of finding open space in the o-zone as a passing target. Didn't notice him much on D coverage, good or bad.
No one was good in this game so hanging any blame on Jeff seems premature.

I have an 8 game rule I use with any new player before I pass much judgement.

The media guys blabbing about him since he got signed, so you know a lot of fans are going to buy in and believe that he sucks no matter what he does for us. He'll need to score 40 not to have people think he's a bust.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireBobbyNicks

Previous Topic:Pregame: Chicago @ Edmonton (Game #2)
Next Topic:GDT: Chicago @ Edmonton (Game #2)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca