This day on September 20
None

Happy Birthday To: dk19, mabfan, nemorrison, oilfan94, hackm, oilchamp_34, kev9in, SuperOilerFan

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » 2024 training camp thread
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 2024 training camp thread [message #837925]
Wed, 18 September 2024 11:19 Go to next message
benv  is currently offline benv

No Cups

So with the announcement this morning of Mike Hoffman joining training camp on a PTO, it's time to get a general training camp thread going.

Here are the full list of players that will be at camp:

Forwards (32)
Arvidsson
Berglund
Brown, C
Caggiula
De Jong
Draisaitl
Griffith
Grubbe
Hamblin
Henrique
Hoffman
Hyman
Janmark
Jarventie
Kane
Lavoie
McDavid
Nicholl
Nugent-Hopkins
O'Reilly
Pederson
Perry
Petrov
Philip
Podkolzin
Ryan
Savoie
Skinner, J
Stefan
Stonehouse
Wakely
Wright

Defensemen (17)
Akey
Bouchard
Brown, J
Carrick
Corcorcan
Dermott
Dineen
Ekholm
Emberson
Gleason
Hoefenmayer
Kannok-Leipert
Kemp
Kulak
Nurse
Stetcher
Wanner

Goalies (6)
Day
Delia
Pickard
Rodrigue
Skinner, S
Ungar

We already know that Kane will miss the whole thing and Nurse and Akey will miss at least the beginning. If Hoffman can show a bit of that old scoring touch, he could be an interesting add.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: 2024 training camp thread [message #837930 is a reply to message #837925 ]
Wed, 18 September 2024 19:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

4 Cups

Can't believe Lajoie isn't there.. unless his playing for U of A Bears this season make attending an NHL training camp disqualify him for CIAU eligibility ?

Lajoie was the best defenseman at the prospects tourney IMHO

Long shot: Connor Corcoran on defense (RHD) may surprise.

[Updated on: Wed, 18 September 2024 19:49]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: 2024 training camp thread [message #837935 is a reply to message #837925 ]
Thu, 19 September 2024 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

Okay folks... how do I miss Podkolzin?

Never heard about him at all and never knew he was a 4th round pick trade from the Canucks?

A first round 10th overall pick in 2019? Traded for a pick? No work on this board either. You failed me... ALL OF YOU!

(not really, it was posted in this forum)

How did this skate by me?

He's being shaped out as the next version of Klim. Could he be?

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: 2024 training camp thread [message #837936 is a reply to message #837935 ]
Thu, 19 September 2024 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Thu, 19 September 2024 09:37

Okay folks... how do I miss Podkolzin?

Never heard about him at all and never knew he was a 4th round pick trade from the Canucks?

A first round 10th overall pick in 2019? Traded for a pick? No work on this board either. You failed me... ALL OF YOU!

(not really, it was posted in this forum)

How did this skate by me?

He's being shaped out as the next version of Klim. Could he be?

You must have been enjoying your BBQ season down at the lake! :)

He's Russian, solid, plays with an edge.. so I can see some similarities with The Klim Reaper.. but they're really different players.. Klim was eager to scrap and initiate a scrum.. I don't really see Podz in that role..
Podz might have some more upside for offense though. From what I saw of him in Vancouver I think Podz is a conscientious player.. coachable.. not a flake.. I suspect he got lost in Vancouver with the coaching turnover.. has some skill.. decent skating.. great shot.. this is his chance to get a second opinion.

[Updated on: Thu, 19 September 2024 12:40]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: 2024 training camp thread [message #837943 is a reply to message #837936 ]
Thu, 19 September 2024 15:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 19 September 2024 11:50

You must have been enjoying your BBQ season down at the lake! :)

He's Russian, solid, plays with an edge.. so I can see some similarities with The Klim Reaper.. but they're really different players.. Klim was eager to scrap and initiate a scrum.. I don't really see Podz in that role..
Podz might have some more upside for offense though. From what I saw of him in Vancouver I think Podz is a conscientious player.. coachable.. not a flake.. I suspect he got lost in Vancouver with the coaching turnover.. has some skill.. decent skating.. great shot.. this is his chance to get a second opinion.

I feel..... seen. lol

Thanks for the intel, thrilled he's part of us and saw him on the second line with Perry and Ryan, two real strong vets of the game. Agreed he's not a flake, just needs to find his jam and I bet Knoblauch is the guy to get it out of him.

Looking forward to it.

**lines mean absolutely nothing in preseason.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: 2024 training camp thread [message #837937 is a reply to message #837925 ]
Thu, 19 September 2024 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

1st TC session.. GROUP 1
Good to see Akey out there..

Roby Jarventie isn't going to participate in camp.. still recovering from last season knee surgery.. bummer.

No idea who Wright is.. not listed on any lists ???

Quote:

Bob Stauffer@Bob_Stauffer
Group 1

RNH-McDavid-Hyman
Podkolzin-Ryan-Perry
Lavoie-Pederson-Savoie
Wright-O'Reilly-Stefan
Clattenburg-Grubbe-De Jong

Kulak-Brown
Nurse-Emberson
Dineen-Carrick
Hoeffenmayer/Kannock-Leipert
Akey

Skinner
Rodrigue
Ungarr

[Updated on: Thu, 19 September 2024 12:38]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: 2024 training camp thread [message #837942 is a reply to message #837937 ]
Thu, 19 September 2024 14:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
benv  is currently offline benv

No Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 19 September 2024 12:30

No idea who Wright is.. not listed on any lists ???

I got the list from here:

https://theoilrig.ca/2024/09/18/edmonton-oilers-announce-202 4-25-training-camp-roster/

Wright (I assume) is this guy: https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=176183

Re: 2024 training camp thread [message #837941 is a reply to message #837925 ]
Thu, 19 September 2024 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

Mike Hoffman finally finds his way to Edmonton, half a decade late. Wonder if he would sign one of those 1M "I want to win a cup" deals. Another shooter to add to the mix.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: 2024 training camp thread [message #837944 is a reply to message #837925 ]
Thu, 19 September 2024 20:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Jack Michaels @EdmontonJack

Back to work.

Lines look to be as suspected:

RNH-McDavid-Hyman
Skinner-Draisaitl-Arvidsson
Janmark-Henrique-Brown
Podkolzin-Ryan-Perry

One other dynamic to keep an eye on. Seems like Jack is on the ozempic diet and rapidly shrinking.
Bob taking up double the screen space as him now on these panel discussions.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: 2024 training camp thread [message #837945 is a reply to message #837944 ]
Thu, 19 September 2024 22:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 19 September 2024 19:23

[i].. One other dynamic to keep an eye on. Seems like Jack is on the ozempic diet and rapidly shrinking.

Kinda related.. It was funny on ON yesterday.. Stauffer tells a story when Seravelli and Stauffer were in Edmonton at some restaurant or bar together.. they were both standing outside the restaurant talking.. along with two women who were out there vaping .. and one of the women says to them .. ".. are you two guys brothers?"

.. so after he tells the story Stauffer starts laughing and says to Seravelli on the show.. "I think a part of you died that day!.."

At least Stauffer has a sense of humour about himself.

It was on the same program that Bob talked about potential RHD solutions out there with Seravelli.. he talks about Schultz.. and Seravelli brings up De Angelo.. says its unbelievable he isn't signed to a PTO yet.. thinks he's the best UFA option out there.. then Bob asks him what he thinks about Rasmus Ristolainen in Philly (Frank lives there and knows the Philly team) .. Frank figures he's not that good.. better other options out there..

This is the 2nd or 3rd time Bob brought up Ristolainen's name as a possibility.. so where there is smoke.. ????

Problem with acquiring Ristolainen is his cap hit is $5.1M for 2 more years.. even if you got Philly to eat 1/2 thats still $2.55.. you'd likely need a 3rd party to eat another 1/2 ..
The assets required to eat the cap would be pretty substantial.. and Oilers prospects and draft pick cupboards are pretty skint..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: 2024 training camp thread [message #837950 is a reply to message #837945 ]
Fri, 20 September 2024 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 19 September 2024 22:07

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 19 September 2024 19:23

[i].. One other dynamic to keep an eye on. Seems like Jack is on the ozempic diet and rapidly shrinking.

Kinda related.. It was funny on ON yesterday.. Stauffer tells a story when Seravelli and Stauffer were in Edmonton at some restaurant or bar together.. they were both standing outside the restaurant talking.. along with two women who were out there vaping .. and one of the women says to them .. ".. are you two guys brothers?"

.. so after he tells the story Stauffer starts laughing and says to Seravelli on the show.. "I think a part of you died that day!.."

At least Stauffer has a sense of humour about himself.

It was on the same program that Bob talked about potential RHD solutions out there with Seravelli.. he talks about Schultz.. and Seravelli brings up De Angelo.. says its unbelievable he isn't signed to a PTO yet.. thinks he's the best UFA option out there.. then Bob asks him what he thinks about Rasmus Ristolainen in Philly (Frank lives there and knows the Philly team) .. Frank figures he's not that good.. better other options out there..

This is the 2nd or 3rd time Bob brought up Ristolainen's name as a possibility.. so where there is smoke.. ????

Problem with acquiring Ristolainen is his cap hit is $5.1M for 2 more years.. even if you got Philly to eat 1/2 thats still $2.55.. you'd likely need a 3rd party to eat another 1/2 ..
The assets required to eat the cap would be pretty substantial.. and Oilers prospects and draft pick cupboards are pretty skint..

I heard DeAngelo was still active on social media and not shy about some pretty fringe views. I suspect that teams are worried about him being a distraction. If he's playing at the top of his game, you can put up with a bit of a sideshow, but when he's only playing half the games and one of the worst defenders on his team last year, it makes it difficult to overlook those things and you're more likely to pick one of the other borderline guys over him.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireBobbyNicks

Re: 2024 training camp thread [message #837954 is a reply to message #837950 ]
Fri, 20 September 2024 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 20 September 2024 09:03

.. I heard DeAngelo was still active on social media and not shy about some pretty fringe views.

Doesn't seem to have a twitter/X account .. think he burned his X back in 2021.. I couldn't find any other social media platform he's on.. have you seen any?

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: 2024 training camp thread [message #837946 is a reply to message #837925 ]
Thu, 19 September 2024 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

No Cups

I'm kind of surprised they aren't moving forward initially with Janmark-Ryan-Brown after the playoff run they had.

I'd put Podkolzin with Henrique and then let Perry / Hoffman / Savoie fight for that third line spot.

RNH - McDavid - Hyman
Skinner - Draisaitl - Arvidsson
Podkolzin - Henrique - _______
Janmark - Ryan - Brown

Lavoie, Perry/Hoffman

Also discouraging to see Josh Brown starting with Kulak. Brown shouldn't be more than a #7. Wasn't he deemed the worst defenseman in the NHL last year? I know the Oilers defense is bad, but... Stetcher? Dermott?

Lots of time for things to shake out, but what is training camp without these type of observations?

Re: 2024 training camp thread [message #837947 is a reply to message #837946 ]
Fri, 20 September 2024 07:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jay  is currently offline Jay

No Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Thu, 19 September 2024 22:41

I'm kind of surprised they aren't moving forward initially with Janmark-Ryan-Brown after the playoff run they had.

You didn't like the Henrique brown janmark line in the payoffs?? Interesting.. That was the best third line id seen on any team in a long time.

"Initiative comes to thems that wait"

Re: 2024 training camp thread [message #837948 is a reply to message #837947 ]
Fri, 20 September 2024 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Jay wrote on Fri, 20 September 2024 07:50

You didn't like the Henrique brown janmark line in the payoffs?? Interesting.. That was the best third line id seen on any team in a long time.

Protect Henrique's ankles at all costs!

That line does have potential to be a very good 3rd line. Henrique never really got to show his best with us yet.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: 2024 training camp thread [message #837952 is a reply to message #837948 ]
Fri, 20 September 2024 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 20 September 2024 08:36

Protect Henrique's ankles at all costs!

That line does have potential to be a very good 3rd line. Henrique never really got to show his best with us yet.

I wonder how many games Derek Ryan sees this year. He looked slower and slower last year. I'm not sure he's an every day NHLer any more.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireBobbyNicks

Re: 2024 training camp thread [message #837955 is a reply to message #837952 ]
Fri, 20 September 2024 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

My guess (and it's just a guess) is that Derek Ryan plays most of the season at 4C, but that Corey Perry moves in and out of the lineup on 3/4 RW. I just don't see who else they have penciled in for that that fourth line center position, but the are flush with bottom six wingers.

Re: 2024 training camp thread [message #837951 is a reply to message #837947 ]
Fri, 20 September 2024 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Henrique is interesting because is actually an excellent two-way player and would be in the Top-6 on most NHL teams. He is good for 40-50 points per season.

Looking at the wingers, I'm just trying to see who has the offensive ability to compliment that? Janmark and Brown, despite excellent playoffs, each only had 12 points in 71 games last year. Hoffman in the past has had the ability, but it is fair to question if he still does. Perry no longer does. Podkolzin hasn't shown the ability to yet, but he's still a prospect who might have more to give. Savoie seems like the most likely to have that offensive ability, but is a bubble player to make the club this year.

In my mind, I don't think I'm looking to Janmark and Brown for a lot of offense, though if they are able to bring some, that would be great. I'd love it if Brown and Janmark were their playoff selves for a whole season, but I'm always a little hesitant to assume that a productive post-season will translate into a productive regular season moving forward, especially with a past track record indicating it may be unlikely.

I am looking for some decent depth offense from Henrique and whoever his wingers are. If Henrique can elevate Brown and Janmark to 20 point players, but in turn he becomes a 30 point player instead of a 45 point player, is that good asset management? Is that enough offensive depth for this team? I'm honestly not sure.

Re: 2024 training camp thread [message #837956 is a reply to message #837925 ]
Fri, 20 September 2024 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

I'm not on Twitter / X much anymore myself since Elon Musk turned it into even more of a toxic hellhole than it already was before.

But it looks like Tony D deactivated his account after President Trump got banned in 2020.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/us/nhl/news-disgrace-when-tony-d eangelo-deactivated-twitter-account-following-donald-trump-b an

It's quite the career so far.

- Suspended in the OHL for racist language and abusing officials.
- Booted from the Rangers for trying to fight his own goalie.
- Possibly stealing the first goal puck from K'Andre Miller when they were teammates, and having a tense relationship with him ( https://nypost.com/2024/05/07/sports/tony-deangelo-offers-to -fight-kandre-miller-anytime-in-heated-game-2-moment/)
- Suspended in the NHL for abusing an official
- Rumoured to have been linked to the January 6 White House riots, though not confirmed.
- Active MAGA booster and COVID denier on Twitter.
- Probably roasting and fighting with fans on a burner account.( https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/is-tony-de-angelo-roasting- fans-on-twitter-with-a-burner-account-035955667.html)

The one article said he went to Parlor after Twitter, but there is literally no chance I'm heading to that site to investigate.

I'm not the least bit excited about the prospect of this clown joining the Oilers, but honestly, he'd fit right into their new image rehabilitation program they seem to be running.

Re: 2024 training camp thread [message #837957 is a reply to message #837925 ]
Fri, 20 September 2024 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Has anybody watched Wanner so far and seen anything to lead you to believe he's anywhere near NHL level (yet) ?

I'm just wondering because I've been seeing rave reviews and projections of him in local media.. some even thinking he could step in for games this season.. but I just haven't seen it.. way too many weaknesses and doesn't seem to be able to separate himself by ability.. mobility especially.. whenever K. Gretzky is asked about him he comments that he has a lot of work to do.. pretty luke warm assessment.. which is essentially what I see.. but not what most media seem to..

I want to believe it, and really hoped to, but honestly haven't..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: 2024 training camp thread [message #837958 is a reply to message #837957 ]
Fri, 20 September 2024 13:17 Go to previous message

No Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Fri, 20 September 2024 12:38

Has anybody watched Wanner so far and seen anything to lead you to believe he's anywhere near NHL level (yet) ?

I'm just wondering because I've been seeing rave reviews and projections of him in local media.. some even thinking he could step in for games this season.. but I just haven't seen it.. way too many weaknesses and doesn't seem to be able to separate himself by ability.. mobility especially.. whenever K. Gretzky is asked about him he comments that he has a lot of work to do.. pretty luke warm assessment.. which is essentially what I see.. but not what most media seem to..

I want to believe it, and really hoped to, but honestly haven't..

I do feel like the local media hype of young players (but especially young defenseman) way too much. It wasn't long ago we were hearing about how Samorukov and Niemelainen were the next pillars of defense for years to come. Neither can crack the NHL lineups with regularity.

David Musil. Griffin Reinhart. Guys like Caleb Jones, Ethan Bear, and William Lagesson seem unlikely to clear 300 games. Jury is out on Vincent Desharnais, Philip Broberg, and Michael Kesselring.

So we will see about Wanner and Akey. I'm not down on their prospects, I just don't really hold the local media's assessment real highly.

Speaking of Wanner, he's another image rehabilitation guy for them.

Previous Topic:Summer Tasks
Next Topic:Jersey Ads Are Here
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca