This day on September 19
Acquired: Vincent Damphousse (1991) Peter Ing (1991) Luke Richardson (1991) Scott Thornton (1991) Rem Murray (1995)
Departed: Glenn Anderson (1991) Grant Fuhr (1991) Mike Bishai (2005)

Happy Birthday To: Sens_Fan, Nav1, Nitty_Gritty_Smytty, Oilfanforever11

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Summer Tasks
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Summer Tasks [message #837506]
Tue, 06 August 2024 16:23 Go to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Here's the to-do list for the Oilers for the remainder of this summer:

- Sign Philip Broberg
- Sign Dylan Holloway
- Clear cap space to accommodate deals ($300K plus whatever they sign the above two for, less any cleared if the Oilers decide to carry basically no spares). Possibly dealt with in the short-term with LTIR for Evander Kane.
- Patch any holes created by cap-clearing moves (if Kane is unavailable for months, we may need another forward, for instance, either a call-up or a free agent signing)
- Sign Leon Draisaitl to an extension (optional)
- Sign Evan Bouchard to an extension (optional)
- Likely discuss the future with McDavid, given that he may be instrumental in getting those last two points accomplished (optional)

I see the optionals as...well, pretty foundational moves. If they aren't addressed then we go in to next year with just a ton of question marks around the team and their future direction.

I am fine with not hearing what the Oilers are doing around all these points. I think the Oilers have tended to be a little too open with the media about contract discussions basically ever since Sather left, and I don't find it particularly helpful for everyone to know all the details. I am a little concerned that the team is ripe for an offer sheet or two. If you were a really devious opposing GM, I might throw a number at Holloway hoping that the team matches, and then give Broberg one right afterwards. It's no secret there was some tension between the player and the team last year, and he was a top-4 guy on a Stanley Cup Finalist by the end of the playoffs. If you had some cap room and needed a good LHD, you could afford to give him a contract he might need to grow into over a 4-5 year term. It'll make me a lot more comfortable when he and Holloway are locked in - even if the news about Draisaitl is the one I most want to see complete.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireBobbyNicks

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Summer Tasks [message #837507 is a reply to message #837506 ]
Tue, 06 August 2024 16:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 06 August 2024 16:23

Here's the to-do list for the Oilers for the remainder of this summer:

- Sign Philip Broberg
- Sign Dylan Holloway
- Clear cap space to accommodate deals ($300K plus whatever they sign the above two for, less any cleared if the Oilers decide to carry basically no spares). Possibly dealt with in the short-term with LTIR for Evander Kane.
- Patch any holes created by cap-clearing moves (if Kane is unavailable for months, we may need another forward, for instance, either a call-up or a free agent signing)
- Likely discuss the future with McDavid, given that he may be instrumental in getting those last two points accomplished (optional)

I see the optionals as...well, pretty foundational moves. If they aren't addressed then we go in to next year with just a ton of question marks around the team and their future direction.

I am fine with not hearing what the Oilers are doing around all these points. I think the Oilers have tended to be a little too open with the media about contract discussions basically ever since Sather left, and I don't find it particularly helpful for everyone to know all the details. I am a little concerned that the team is ripe for an offer sheet or two. If you were a really devious opposing GM, I might throw a number at Holloway hoping that the team matches, and then give Broberg one right afterwards. It's no secret there was some tension between the player and the team last year, and he was a top-4 guy on a Stanley Cup Finalist by the end of the playoffs. If you had some cap room and needed a good LHD, you could afford to give him a contract he might need to grow into over a 4-5 year term. It'll make me a lot more comfortable when he and Holloway are locked in - even if the news about Draisaitl is the one I most want to see complete.

Conroy sending an offer sheet to Broberg would be kind of hilarious. I'm not sure if any team looking deeply would though. He still got spanked pretty bad with Nurse in the playoffs. They just got a bit lucky to not get as destroyed with goals against as the chances they were giving deserved. Finished the playoffs with 34.87% xGF. Still really dislike the idea that ppl could be comfortable with Broberg being Nurse's babysitting full time. At the least losing Broberg would force Bowman to actually do something to finally fix the D.

Hope the Kane stuff is figured out. Jackson seemed confused about Kane's injury in general if I correctly recall his comments on it. One of the strangest year long injuries in memory that I've seen, with how our team and the player handled it.

In general, would love to see some proof that Bowman was worth the bad headlines. We know this team has issues. Very likely the coach bump will be gone next year and it will be a full year grind again. Very unlikely we get once in 3 decade performances from 2 guys in the playoffs again. Need Bowman to do stuff.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Summer Tasks [message #837512 is a reply to message #837507 ]
Sat, 10 August 2024 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jay  is currently offline Jay

No Cups

Anyone else watch this?

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/hyman-gave-powerful-speech-afte r-game-7-loss-i-f-------know-were~2974694

Just brutal. I turned the game off as soon as the buzzer went. Couldn't watch any of the post game cup stuff or replays of the game.

Just to add to this - imagine in that moment if Mcdavid was like 'hang on boys just have to go get my Conn Smyth trophy be right back'. Any expectation that a player on the losing team should accept that trophy in person is completely ridiculous.

[Updated on: Sat, 10 August 2024 08:50]

"Initiative comes to thems that wait"

Re: Summer Tasks [message #837516 is a reply to message #837512 ]
Sun, 11 August 2024 00:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leia  is currently offline Leia

No Cups

Jay wrote on Sat, 10 August 2024 08:36

Anyone else watch this?

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/hyman-gave-powerful-speech-afte r-game-7-loss-i-f-------know-were~2974694

Just brutal. I turned the game off as soon as the buzzer went. Couldn't watch any of the post game cup stuff or replays of the game.

Just to add to this - imagine in that moment if Mcdavid was like 'hang on boys just have to go get my Conn Smyth trophy be right back'. Any expectation that a player on the losing team should accept that trophy in person is completely ridiculous.

It's brutal, the desolation is imense. I've not watched any thing post game night as I've not the 2006 final game, when I saw this I was wondering why it's been leaked. Then realised it was from the club themselves on the Oilers+ channel. If used the right way we can use this for our own good. Show them how they were after the loss, challenge them not to be in that position again this year, let it be part of the inspiration to winning this coming season.

Take me home, country road
to the place where I belong
to Alberta, to see the Oilers
take me home, country road

Re: Summer Tasks [message #837916 is a reply to message #837506 ]
Sat, 14 September 2024 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Sounds like Kane sat with his injury all summer and is soon going to get surgery, leading to a long recovery. Some med guys speculate a mid-season return to the lineup.

Has there ever been a more bizarre injury handling by a player and org? He had this hernia injury since almost 1 year ago now.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Summer Tasks [message #837917 is a reply to message #837916 ]
Sat, 14 September 2024 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

1 Cup

Have to think this is a Jackson idea to play the LTIR game yeah?

Clean house or bust

Re: Summer Tasks [message #837918 is a reply to message #837917 ]
Sat, 14 September 2024 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Sat, 14 September 2024 14:01

Have to think this is a Jackson idea to play the LTIR game yeah?

Would hope so, but not sure.

Sounds like Stauffer said Kane was still looking for a non-surgical solution but has finally, after wasting the entire summer, been convinced surgery is the way to go. That's crazy that we are almost a year in with his injury and only now does his camp settle on surgery.

Someone please make this last year of Kane make sense. Will be speechless if he just ends up coming back in mid-season after all this and we again don't have any way to scam some LTIR to upgrade the D this season.

[Updated on: Sat, 14 September 2024 14:55]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Summer Tasks [message #837919 is a reply to message #837918 ]
Mon, 16 September 2024 05:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 14 September 2024 17:52

Someone please make this last year of Kane make sense. Will be speechless if he just ends up coming back in mid-season after all this and we again don't have any way to scam some LTIR to upgrade the D this season.

I'm definitely snapping at least a couple of crayons if he comes back a month or two before the playoffs.

Re: Summer Tasks [message #837934 is a reply to message #837919 ]
Thu, 19 September 2024 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Mon, 16 September 2024 05:38

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 14 September 2024 17:52

I'm definitely snapping at least a couple of crayons if he comes back a month or two before the playoffs.

Karman Gill @Kgill39
Kane just said what his injuries are since October: Both abductors, two hernias and two abdominal tears… yet he was still able to score 24 goals.

lol, why didn't he go on LTIR last year? 5M extra player at the deadline and Kane back healthy for playoffs would have been a cup win.

Instead he just destroys his body completely, can't even sit down anymore by the time he has to bow out of playoffs completely, and now needs even more severe surgery. If this doesn't result in LTIR for the next deadline ... well, I guess I'm used to that kinda stuff with this team.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Summer Tasks [message #837939 is a reply to message #837934 ]
Thu, 19 September 2024 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 19 September 2024 08:39

Karman Gill @Kgill39
Kane just said what his injuries are since October: Both abductors, two hernias and two abdominal tears… yet he was still able to score 24 goals.

lol, why didn't he go on LTIR last year? 5M extra player at the deadline and Kane back healthy for playoffs would have been a cup win.

Instead he just destroys his body completely, can't even sit down anymore by the time he has to bow out of playoffs completely, and now needs even more severe surgery. If this doesn't result in LTIR for the next deadline ... well, I guess I'm used to that kinda stuff with this team.

I do hate that every time he talks, he seems to be trying to present it in a way to glorify or to excuse himself. There's nothing noble about fighting through injuries if it's inhibiting your play. It's just hurting the team and costing us cap space while you "battle through".

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireBobbyNicks

Re: Summer Tasks [message #837920 is a reply to message #837506 ]
Mon, 16 September 2024 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

- Sign Philip Broberg
- Sign Dylan Holloway

Bit of an underwhelming start for Bowman here/ The list still has a few pieces missing. Bouchard hasn't signed an extention, and we have a hole at RHD still (barring Emberson taking a massive jump forward).

Turns out, the devious GM I imagined did actually exist, so so long Broberg and Holloway. I think we made the right move there all things considered, but still the loss may hurt a little at times this year, especially if those we brought in to patch the holes don't excel.

I think that there's much better cap treatment if Kane is LTIR-ed at the start of the season versus during the summer, so maybe that's one reason we haven't seen more happen.

I would feel a lot better if we signed Bouchard now rather than wait to see how many points he can put up this year before we do so.

#FireBobbyNicks

Re: Summer Tasks [message #837921 is a reply to message #837920 ]
Mon, 16 September 2024 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 16 September 2024 09:18

- Sign Philip Broberg
- Sign Dylan Holloway

Bit of an underwhelming start for Bowman here/ The list still has a few pieces missing. Bouchard hasn't signed an extention, and we have a hole at RHD still (barring Emberson taking a massive jump forward).

Turns out, the devious GM I imagined did actually exist, so so long Broberg and Holloway. I think we made the right move there all things considered, but still the loss may hurt a little at times this year, especially if those we brought in to patch the holes don't excel.

I think that there's much better cap treatment if Kane is LTIR-ed at the start of the season versus during the summer, so maybe that's one reason we haven't seen more happen.

I would feel a lot better if we signed Bouchard now rather than wait to see how many points he can put up this year before we do so.

It really sucks that Holland just ignored the RHD spot. The best time to upgrade that position (outside of any other time in the last half decade or so) was probably last summer, or at the last deadline. Just couldn't be bothered.

Jackson goes wild on July 1st, offer sheets, the totally bizarre Kane injury that still makes no sense how it's dragged on for almost a year. And here we are, potentially looking at IR'ing Kane until his mid-season return and all we have to play with is accrued cap space at the deadline? To fix a massive RHD hole.

Still hoping there is some big plan we can't see, but not looking good right now. Today we are all in on trying to outscore our problems, unless, as we all hope, Emberson somehow has top 4D ability.

Bouch a huge concern for sure. But how could he not be tempted to get to next summer? Predictions of a huge cap increase. McDavid about to blow through the cap hit ceiling again. Offer sheet potential. I hate to say it, but his agent is probably not doing his job if he doesn't get his client to next summer without a deal. Thanks again Holland.

[Updated on: Mon, 16 September 2024 10:12]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Summer Tasks [message #837931 is a reply to message #837921 ]
Wed, 18 September 2024 20:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 16 September 2024 09:34

- Sign Philip Broberg
- Sign Dylan Holloway

It really sucks that Holland just ignored the RHD spot. The best time to upgrade that position (outside of any other time in the last half decade or so) was probably last summer, or at the last deadline. Just couldn't be bothered.

Jackson goes wild on July 1st, offer sheets, the totally bizarre Kane injury that still makes no sense how it's dragged on for almost a year. And here we are, potentially looking at IR'ing Kane until his mid-season return and all we have to play with is accrued cap space at the deadline? To fix a massive RHD hole.

Still hoping there is some big plan we can't see, but not looking good right now. Today we are all in on trying to outscore our problems, unless, as we all hope, Emberson somehow has top 4D ability.

Bouch a huge concern for sure. But how could he not be tempted to get to next summer? Predictions of a huge cap increase. McDavid about to blow through the cap hit ceiling again. Offer sheet potential. I hate to say it, but his agent is probably not doing his job if he doesn't get his client to next summer without a deal. Thanks again Holland.

Saw chatter that Bouch's camp is looking at Dahlin's 11M deal. lol. OK, his agent is still doing his job if he can get that locked in early :)

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Summer Tasks [message #837932 is a reply to message #837931 ]
Wed, 18 September 2024 21:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

4 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 18 September 2024 19:37

- Sign Philip Broberg
- Sign Dylan Holloway

Saw chatter that Bouch's camp is looking at Dahlin's 11M deal. lol. OK, his agent is still doing his job if he can get that locked in early :)

If he's asking for top 3 defenceman money.. then there's no discount being offered for locking up early.. and taking risk of only one year sample size.. Oilers paying near maximum end of contract range are taking the maximum risk for locking up early .. might be worth waiting to see if Bouchard can replicate his play..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Summer Tasks [message #837933 is a reply to message #837932 ]
Wed, 18 September 2024 21:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 18 September 2024 21:07

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 18 September 2024 19:37

- Sign Philip Broberg
- Sign Dylan Holloway

If he's asking for top 3 defenceman money.. then there's no discount being offered for locking up early.. and taking risk of only one year sample size.. Oilers paying near maximum end of contract range are taking the maximum risk for locking up early .. might be worth waiting to see if Bouchard can replicate his play..

Buffalo kinda messed up the young D cap. Just tossing Dahlin 11M for getting every bit of offensive opportunity on a loser low expectation team. Then he puts up a 59 point season in another sad sack year.

Seider will be interesting to watch. Lots of struggle after his rookie year. If he ends up with ~9M, I think that easily puts Bouch at least around 10M, if we want him signed early.

Risk is big next summer too. Bouch can sit and wait for McDavid to sign July 1st for 15-16M. We will remain in a massive crunch as Drai's deal starts, and the offer sheets can come rolling in to help Bouch strengthen his position. If there is a good cap bump, lots of teams could have space to try to snatch an elite offensive RHD. This assumes he puts up another good season of course.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Summer Tasks [message #837938 is a reply to message #837933 ]
Thu, 19 September 2024 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 18 September 2024 21:28

Buffalo kinda messed up the young D cap. Just tossing Dahlin 11M for getting every bit of offensive opportunity on a loser low expectation team. Then he puts up a 59 point season in another sad sack year.

Seider will be interesting to watch. Lots of struggle after his rookie year. If he ends up with ~9M, I think that easily puts Bouch at least around 10M, if we want him signed early.

Risk is big next summer too. Bouch can sit and wait for McDavid to sign July 1st for 15-16M. We will remain in a massive crunch as Drai's deal starts, and the offer sheets can come rolling in to help Bouch strengthen his position. If there is a good cap bump, lots of teams could have space to try to snatch an elite offensive RHD. This assumes he puts up another good season of course.

I don't think there's any chance that Bouch isn't worth an 8-digit contract based on the market. Look at where Nurse is. Look at where Seth Jones is. Makar's deal is 3 years old and he was $9MM. Fox's is the same age and $9.5MM.

Dobson has his contract ending after this year too...I worry about what his comparable looks like without the playoff success. It's probably better for us if we can get Bouchard done first, because that one could potentially be inflationary.

I mean, Bouchard could potentially be a Norris candidate this year - a real one, not a Craig MacTavish nominee. Waiting risks us having to make him the highest paid D in the league for a time.

If he's healthy this year, he's going to put up numbers and point-per-game defencemen will always get paid. So do it ASAP if you can.

#FireBobbyNicks

Re: Summer Tasks [message #837940 is a reply to message #837938 ]
Thu, 19 September 2024 13:22 Go to previous message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 19 September 2024 12:30

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 18 September 2024 21:28

I don't think there's any chance that Bouch isn't worth an 8-digit contract based on the market. Look at where Nurse is. Look at where Seth Jones is. Makar's deal is 3 years old and he was $9MM. Fox's is the same age and $9.5MM.

Dobson has his contract ending after this year too...I worry about what his comparable looks like without the playoff success. It's probably better for us if we can get Bouchard done first, because that one could potentially be inflationary.

I mean, Bouchard could potentially be a Norris candidate this year - a real one, not a Craig MacTavish nominee. Waiting risks us having to make him the highest paid D in the league for a time.

If he's healthy this year, he's going to put up numbers and point-per-game defencemen will always get paid. So do it ASAP if you can.

Chuckled at the MacT Norris comment, hehe.

Do agree, almost everything working against us the longer we wait. Islanders haven't really been penny pinchers. Dobson probably gets 10M+ making it all even easier for Bouch.

All we can basically hope is Bouch has an off year, but the team is probably screwed if that happens, so we can't actually hope for that :)

Would be nice to get it done, but if Bouch's agent is pushing to wait if he can't get 10.5M+ right now, can see it being tough.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Previous Topic:2024 training camp thread
Next Topic:Jersey Ads Are Here
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca