This day on September 19
Acquired: Vincent Damphousse (1991) Peter Ing (1991) Luke Richardson (1991) Scott Thornton (1991) Rem Murray (1995)
Departed: Glenn Anderson (1991) Grant Fuhr (1991) Mike Bishai (2005)

Happy Birthday To: Sens_Fan, Nav1, Nitty_Gritty_Smytty, Oilfanforever11

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Jersey Ads Are Here
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Jersey Ads Are Here [message #837886]
Mon, 09 September 2024 14:16 Go to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

1 Cup

Edmonton has not done this since the league allowed it a few years ago, but that changes this season. Play Alberta will be the ad on the home jersey.

https://x.com/EdmontonOilers/status/1833188702967017761

Ruining an all time classic jersey for a few more Katz bucks.

Clean house or bust

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Jersey Ads Are Here [message #837887 is a reply to message #837886 ]
Mon, 09 September 2024 14:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

The NHL hasn't been a sport for a long time now. It's simply an advertising vehicle we pay for the privilege of consuming. Nothing more, nothing less. Any enjoyment one gets out of watching hockey is purely coincidental.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Jersey Ads Are Here [message #837888 is a reply to message #837887 ]
Mon, 09 September 2024 15:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

1 Cup

Sure, still sucks though. I accept ads all over the rink, the boards, the cabbie gambling odds in the intermission, the pop up ads replacing the scoreboard…just want the players uniforms left alone. Might as well put a giant Doritios logo on the Stanley Cup next.

Clean house or bust

Re: Jersey Ads Are Here [message #837890 is a reply to message #837888 ]
Mon, 09 September 2024 16:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leia  is currently offline Leia

No Cups

I'm old enough to remember when soccer jersey's in Europe didn't have sponsorships on them, however when Snapdragon are willing to pay $225 (US) for 3 years worth of sponsorship to a club it's not something you'd turn down.

Now obviously this isn't going to be anywhere near that, but if in the coming years companies are going to pay a fair chunck to have names on jerseys and it helps the club out financially then so be it.

I'm a sucker for tradition and losing the clean look of our jersey's is sad, but you know what we'll get used to seeing it on the jersey so soon that we'll sort of ignore it quickly enough.

Take me home, country road
to the place where I belong
to Alberta, to see the Oilers
take me home, country road

Re: Jersey Ads Are Here [message #837891 is a reply to message #837890 ]
Mon, 09 September 2024 18:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gator21  is currently offline Gator21

No Cups

This actually pisses me off...you think making money hand over first during the playoff run by gouging your fans with insane ticket prices would by enough to prevent the team from selling out and ruining the jersey for a few mil a year but nope

Re: Jersey Ads Are Here [message #837892 is a reply to message #837891 ]
Mon, 09 September 2024 18:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Gator21 wrote on Mon, 09 September 2024 18:15

This actually pisses me off...you think making money hand over first during the playoff run by gouging your fans with insane ticket prices would by enough to prevent the team from selling out and ruining the jersey for a few mil a year but nope

I'm for anything that gets revenues up, and in turn the cap! Since we are about to pay McDavid, Drai Nurse and Bouch a combined cap hit of 48M or so.

There's more space on the jerseys being wasted! More gambling ads! What site is Gretzky doing ads for these days?

https://sports.betmgm.com/en/blog/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/betmgm-wayne-puck.jpg

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Jersey Ads Are Here [message #837895 is a reply to message #837892 ]
Tue, 10 September 2024 00:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leia  is currently offline Leia

No Cups

To add a further comment, I completely forgot last night to mention that whilst I can't see ad's going away and that I don't want to see NHL hockey shirts like those that populate the European leagues.

Choosing a gambling company isn't a good look. Certainly here in the UK, football clubs (I use this as it's the biggest sport) clubs have stopped having drinks sponsorships on jerseys and the current push is to stop them using bookmakers or online gambling companies on the jerseys.

It's already at the level where clubs junior teams up to the age of U21 won't have a sponsor or will have a different sponsor to the senior team if it's a gambling related sponsor.

The other thing is that the Oilers jersey's have had sponsorship of a sort on them for years now anyway, in the form of the logo of the company making the jersey. The league wide deals to make them was effectlively sponsorship.

Take me home, country road
to the place where I belong
to Alberta, to see the Oilers
take me home, country road

Re: Jersey Ads Are Here [message #837899 is a reply to message #837892 ]
Tue, 10 September 2024 16:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 09 September 2024 18:32

Gator21 wrote on Mon, 09 September 2024 18:15

I'm for anything that gets revenues up, and in turn the cap! Since we are about to pay McDavid, Drai Nurse and Bouch a combined cap hit of 48M or so.

There's more space on the jerseys being wasted! More gambling ads! What site is Gretzky doing ads for these days?

https://sports.betmgm.com/en/blog/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/betmgm-wayne-puck.jpg

This here. We have a team that is in dire need of a few huge Cap bumps. Bring it on, the more revenue the better.

Re: Jersey Ads Are Here [message #837898 is a reply to message #837888 ]
Tue, 10 September 2024 16:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Mon, 09 September 2024 15:23

Sure, still sucks though. I accept ads all over the rink, the boards, the cabbie gambling odds in the intermission, the pop up ads replacing the scoreboard…just want the players uniforms left alone. Might as well put a giant Doritios logo on the Stanley Cup next.

The jersey you buy in the store will be ad free, and if you want to buy a game worn jersey you will get the ad. The Oilers held out longer than I thought and I am not sure there is a professional sport in the big 5 that does not include jerseys ads. Soccer/Football have been doing this since the 70's.

Re: Jersey Ads Are Here [message #837889 is a reply to message #837887 ]
Mon, 09 September 2024 15:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

1 Cup

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 09 September 2024 13:25

The NHL hasn't been a sport for a long time now. It's simply an advertising vehicle we pay for the privilege of consuming. Nothing more, nothing less. Any enjoyment one gets out of watching hockey is purely coincidental.

The sport and the business are two things that both coexist in the same entity. For better or worse, and they often clash, each builds off of the other. Money means better hockey. Hockey means better money.

That said there are times when the money means we get ugly and ewww eye sores like today.

An oil company would have been better than a gambling one that’s for sure.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Jersey Ads Are Here [message #837900 is a reply to message #837889 ]
Tue, 10 September 2024 16:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

nullterm wrote on Mon, 09 September 2024 15:50

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 09 September 2024 13:25

The sport and the business are two things that both coexist in the same entity. For better or worse, and they often clash, each builds off of the other. Money means better hockey. Hockey means better money.

That said there are times when the money means we get ugly and ewww eye sores like today.

An oil company would have been better than a gambling one that’s for sure.

But the gambling ads on a Kane jersey make for better fodder.

Re: Jersey Ads Are Here [message #837902 is a reply to message #837900 ]
Tue, 10 September 2024 20:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

I think everyone will just have to get used to it as sports leagues perpetually look for more revenue sources, and sponsor names on team jerseys is something I am well used to as a regular follower of English football.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Jersey Ads Are Here [message #837897 is a reply to message #837887 ]
Tue, 10 September 2024 15:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 09 September 2024 14:25

Harsh, and I hope this is tongue in cheek. If we cannot see the passion of the players, the effort on the ice and beautiful game we all cheer for over the ads on the board, jersey's and helmets then that's on the individual.

Re: Jersey Ads Are Here [message #837907 is a reply to message #837897 ]
Wed, 11 September 2024 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Tue, 10 September 2024 15:56

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 09 September 2024 14:25

Harsh, and I hope this is tongue in cheek. If we cannot see the passion of the players, the effort on the ice and beautiful game we all cheer for over the ads on the board, jersey's and helmets then that's on the individual.

Harsh but honest. In a conflict between the sport and the cash, the cash will always win now. There's a reason we talk so much about contract length and cap space and gambling ads on jerseys. Even with jersey ads, I still enjoy hockey.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Jersey Ads Are Here [message #837913 is a reply to message #837886 ]
Fri, 13 September 2024 17:08 Go to previous message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

....BACK IN MYYYYY DAY...

lol, you guys.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Previous Topic:Summer Tasks
Next Topic:Dermott signed to PTO
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca