This day on September 19
Acquired: Vincent Damphousse (1991) Peter Ing (1991) Luke Richardson (1991) Scott Thornton (1991) Rem Murray (1995)
Departed: Glenn Anderson (1991) Grant Fuhr (1991) Mike Bishai (2005)

Happy Birthday To: Sens_Fan, Nav1, Nitty_Gritty_Smytty, Oilfanforever11

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » The Hunt for RHD (before) October
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 The Hunt for RHD (before) October [message #837777]
Fri, 23 August 2024 17:51 Go to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Quote:

Frank Seravalli (@frank_seravalli) on X

UFA Update: #Oilers are perusing the market for right-shot D, including Justin Schultz, Tyson Barrie and Kevin Shattenkirk, among others.

Shattenkirk played 61 games, so missed a quarter of the games to either injury or healthy scratches. He also only played in 6 of 13 playoff games, so when chips were down, he was eating popcorn. His -2 tied some guy named Mason Lohrei for worst among defencemen on the Bruins.

Schultz played 70 games, was team worst -23. For anyone counting, that's -18 worse than the next closest defenceman. Bad team, but relative to his peers, he was getting eaten alive.

Barrie only played in 41 games, and only 1 of 6 in post-season. Despite only playing in half the games, he was the worst +/- on Nashville at -10. Next closest dman was Lauzon at -3.

On its own, +/- isn't a great stat, but looked at on relative basis comparing teammates, it tells a lot of the story. Either these guys were very unlucky last year, or they were very defensively suspect. I suspect the latter...

I probably would go with what we've got rather than add one of them, although if at league minimum so that it could get buried in the minors, I suppose it would be low risk.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireBobbyNicks

Send a private message to this user  

Re: The Hunt for RHD (before) October [message #837778 is a reply to message #837777 ]
Fri, 23 August 2024 18:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 23 August 2024 17:51

Quote:

Frank Seravalli (@frank_seravalli) on X

UFA Update: #Oilers are perusing the market for right-shot D, including Justin Schultz, Tyson Barrie and Kevin Shattenkirk, among others.

Shattenkirk played 61 games, so missed a quarter of the games to either injury or healthy scratches. He also only played in 6 of 13 playoff games, so when chips were down, he was eating popcorn. His -2 tied some guy named Mason Lohrei for worst among defencemen on the Bruins.

Schultz played 70 games, was team worst -23. For anyone counting, that's -18 worse than the next closest defenceman. Bad team, but relative to his peers, he was getting eaten alive.

Barrie only played in 41 games, and only 1 of 6 in post-season. Despite only playing in half the games, he was the worst +/- on Nashville at -10. Next closest dman was Lauzon at -3.

On its own, +/- isn't a great stat, but looked at on relative basis comparing teammates, it tells a lot of the story. Either these guys were very unlucky last year, or they were very defensively suspect. I suspect the latter...

I probably would go with what we've got rather than add one of them, although if at league minimum so that it could get buried in the minors, I suppose it would be low risk.

Very slim pickings. We know what Barrie was, not good enough for 5v5 against decent competition, and he's older now and seems to have fallen off a bit. Strange how bad his season was in Nashville. I wouldn't want that performance here though.

Schultz seems really beat down by injuries. Wouldn't risk it.

Shattenkirk maybe the best of these, but not saying much. Toss the man a PTO!

Real fix probably has to come mid-season. Gotta see if a team struggles and you can shake a decent RHD loose.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: The Hunt for RHD (before) October [message #837780 is a reply to message #837777 ]
Sat, 24 August 2024 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oilertime  is currently offline Oilertime

No Cups

I don't know how these guys are any better than the pile of RHD already on the team. Guess they want to go quantity over quality.

Oilers need LHD depth. If one of the main three get hurt. There's nothing left.

https://twitter.com/Reggie__11

Re: The Hunt for RHD (before) October [message #837791 is a reply to message #837777 ]
Sat, 24 August 2024 21:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

4 Cups

.. As I posted over on the Oilers thread..
I'm leaning toward RHD Tony DeAngelo.. 28, great fit, super low cost.. and he'll be extremely motivated.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: The Hunt for RHD (before) October [message #837792 is a reply to message #837791 ]
Mon, 26 August 2024 14:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rutuu  is currently offline Rutuu

No Cups

Fully agree.

Some on here fail to recognize that our super power is looking the other way. C'mon down Tony.

Re: The Hunt for RHD (before) October [message #837794 is a reply to message #837791 ]
Mon, 26 August 2024 16:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Sat, 24 August 2024 21:50

I'm leaning toward RHD Tony DeAngelo.. 28, great fit, super low cost.. and he'll be extremely motivated.

I don't think TDA is what the Oilers need. He has offensive upside, but we kind of have that box checked with Bouchard (and Ekholm and Nurse). Not that more offense is a bad thing, especially when the defense and tending will again be questionable going into the season. I think focusing on better defensive defensemen is the right path to take. TDA was healthy scratched a lot last year because he's just not great on the backend. Maybe as a 4th line winger, but the defense on this team... I still have to see it to believe in it.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: The Hunt for RHD (before) October [message #837795 is a reply to message #837794 ]
Mon, 26 August 2024 21:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 26 August 2024 15:06

I don't think TDA is what the Oilers need. He has offensive upside, but we kind of have that box checked with Bouchard (and Ekholm and Nurse). Not that more offense is a bad thing, especially when the defense and tending will again be questionable going into the season. I think focusing on better defensive defensemen is the right path to take. TDA was healthy scratched a lot last year because he's just not great on the backend. Maybe as a 4th line winger, but the defense on this team... I still have to see it to believe in it.

LOL .. as if on cue.. Frank Seravelli just stated on ON today (@9:40 of Frank's segment) that in his opinion, one of the best options out of all the current defence UFAs.. is Tony DeAngelo.. icon_smile . .hey .. so its not just me!
https://globalnews.ca/edmonton/program/oilers-now-with-bob-s tauffer

I think at $1m its a no risk venture.. you can bury 100% of his cap in the AHL..

But.. looking at some his defensive stats.. some Corsi, Fenwick .. not much different than Nurse's (which is not saying much!)

(Stats all at EVEN)

In Carolina TDA's Fenwick For was 55%, and his Corsi For was also 55% .. in Phili it was 49% .. this covers TDAs last 3 seasons.. average for 3 years was 53% for Corsi and Fenwick

Nurse had an average last 3 season of 52.3% Corsi.. and 51.7% Fenwick

Defensive Zone Give-Aways last 3 seasons; Nurse is 1.68 per 60.. and TDAs is 1.27 per 60

On-Ice Goals FOR (at evens) last 3 seasons..
Nurse: 3.1 per 60
TDA: 2.9 per 60

On-Ice Goals AGAINST (at evens) last 3 seasons..
Nurse: 2.7 per 60
TDA: 3.1 per 60

Should consider that Phili had a weak team 2 years ago.. 26/32 for goals against..

TDA's D-Zone starts last 3 seasons s really weak compared to Nurse.

However.. TDAs shot % is much better..

last 3 seasons at EV..
Nurse: 34% shots blocked.. 19% missed net.. shots through to goalie is 47%
TDA: 28% shots blocked.. 15% missed net.. shots through to goalie is 55%

Shot % of all shots taken (includes blocked, and missed net)..avg. last 3 years
Nurse: 2.6%
TDA: 3.7%

Shot % of all shots taken ON net;
Nurse: 5.27%
TDA: 6.57%

There are probably better stats to analyze DeAngelo's defensive capabilities than this.. but its a start..

Stats used;
https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/n/nurseda01.html
https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/d/deangan01.html

https://moneypuck.com/player.htm?p=8477498
https://moneypuck.com/player.htm?p=8477950

[Updated on: Tue, 27 August 2024 00:19]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: The Hunt for RHD (before) October [message #837796 is a reply to message #837795 ]
Mon, 26 August 2024 22:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Mon, 26 August 2024 21:03

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 26 August 2024 15:06

LOL .. as if on cue.. Frank Seravelli just stated on ON today (@9:40 of Frank's segment) that in his opinion, one of the best options out of all the current defence UFAs.. is Tony DeAngelo.. icon_smile . .hey .. so its not just me!
https://globalnews.ca/edmonton/program/oilers-now-with-bob-s tauffer

I think at $1m its a no risk venture.. you can bury 100% of his cap in the AHL..

But.. looking at some his defensive stats.. some Corsi, Fenwick .. not much different than Nurse's (which is not saying much!)

(Stats all at EVEN)

In Carolina TDA's Fenwick For was 55%, and his Corsi For was also 55% .. in Phili it was 49% .. this covers TDAs last 3 seasons.. average for 3 years was 53% for Corsi and Fenwick

Nurse had an average last 3 season of 52.3% Corsi.. and 51.7% Fenwick

Defensive Zone Give-Aways last 3 seasons; Nurse is 1.68 per 60.. and TDAs is 1.27 per 60

On-Ice Goals FOR (at evens) last 3 seasons..
Nurse: 3.1 per 60
TDA: 2.9 per 60

On-Ice Goals AGAINST (at evens) last 3 seasons..
Nurse: 2.7 per 60
TDA: 3.1 per 60

Should consider that Phili had a weak team 2 years ago.. 26/32 for goals against..

TDA's D-Zone starts last 3 seasons s really weak compared to Nurse.

However.. TDAs shot % is much better..

last 3 seasons at EV..
Nurse: 34% shots blocked.. 19% missed net.. shots through to goalie is 47%
TDA: 28% shots blocked.. 15% missed net.. shots through to goalie is 55%

Shot % of all shots taken (includes blocked, and missed net)..avg. last 3 years
Nurse: 2.6%
TDA: 3.7%

Shot % of all shots taken at net;
Nurse: 5.27%
TDA: 6.57%

There are probably better stats to analyze DeAngelo's defensive capabilities than this.. but its a start..

Stats used;
https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/n/nurseda01.html
https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/d/deangan01.html

https://moneypuck.com/player.htm?p=8477498
https://moneypuck.com/player.htm?p=8477950

Think the best hockey he ever played was with Slavin. Which would have been against good comp.
Basically a classic pair with a super good defense D + good offensive D. I'd probably take him over Stecher on the 3rd pair.

Guessing the org is pretty high on Emberson as having a chance to be a parter with Nurse. Not sure we can afford to do much aside from wait and see, and start the year before puting Kane on LTIR.

Go for it, best case we have Tony D in the room all year and then Kane comes on in to start the playoffs and everyone gets the popcorn out.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: The Hunt for RHD (before) October [message #837797 is a reply to message #837796 ]
Tue, 27 August 2024 00:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 26 August 2024 21:24

Think the best hockey he ever played was with Slavin. Which would have been against good comp.
Basically a classic pair with a super good defense D + good offensive D. I'd probably take him over Stecher on the 3rd pair.

Guessing the org is pretty high on Emberson as having a chance to be a parter with Nurse. Not sure we can afford to do much aside from wait and see, and start the year before puting Kane on LTIR.

Go for it, best case we have Tony D in the room all year and then Kane comes on in to start the playoffs and everyone gets the popcorn out.

That year in Carolina he was +32.. yep pretty good year!

After listening to the interviews by both DeAngelo and Pesce on Daily FaceOff.. I think the so called "drama" regarding DeAngelo is mostly over blown and some of it just fictitious.. sounds like all his teammates love the guy.. much different than the stories about Kane.. there was one incident in NYR where he and Gorgiev got into it right after a bad game.. and then in Phili him and Tortorella had some friction.. which tends to happen with Tortorella..

Give the interviews a listen and see what you think..

If the Oilers have teh analytics going then they should at least be taking a look at the guy.. cap cost is zero.. just a contract..

I tried to find some video of Emberson.. highlight videos.. just to see how he skated.. nothing I could find.. he's been lauded quite a bit by a lot of media so far.. but in my mind he's a super big question mark.. Its Stetcher or Emberson right now at 2nd pair RHD.. I think we were all thinking 3rd pair until the offer sheets.. training camp should make things more clear regarding Emberson.

[Updated on: Tue, 27 August 2024 00:15]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: The Hunt for RHD (before) October [message #837798 is a reply to message #837797 ]
Tue, 27 August 2024 01:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rutuu  is currently offline Rutuu

No Cups

No need to convince us. Sign the guy up.

TDA hasn't been accused of anything worse that what Stan Bowman or Patrick Kane actually did.

We'll accept him here. And if he doesn't work out, meh.

Re: The Hunt for RHD (before) October [message #837799 is a reply to message #837798 ]
Tue, 27 August 2024 01:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Rutuu wrote on Tue, 27 August 2024 00:29

TDA hasn't been accused of anything worse that what Stan Bowman or Patrick Kane actually did.

Staples is all for it as well.. he discussed the Seravelli ON interview comments today in his Cult of Hockey.. discussed DeAngelo.. and concluded he'd be a worthwhile pick up..

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey /edmonton-oilers-big-trade-frank-seravalli-nhl-insder

Quote:

" 3. As I’ve said before, I see DeAngelo as a good bet. If there are any real questions about character, Nurse can help answer them, as he was DeAngelo’s teammate for half a year in Sault St. Marie.
DeAngelo had an iffy regular season in 2023-24, playing just 31 games with only 11 points, and -7. But he was solid enough to play nine games in the playoffs for Carolina.
And in the two previous seasons, he had 42 points in 70 games and 51 points in 64 games.
Of course, he worked the power play in those better seasons but who is to say Evan Bouchard will have perfect health this year?
Would it not be wise to have a high-powered back-up on the payroll?
DeAngelo could well be that player and he’s between four and six years younger than other players being mentioned just now such as Tyson Barrie, Justin Schultz and Kevin Shattenkirk."

"6. Good to see Seravalli stand up for second chances for players like DeAngelo.
This is the age of cancellation and rapid, self-righteous and sometimes merciless judgement, often based on the barest of facts or corrosive misinformation.
It’s also the case that the road to success isn’t paved by angels, nor by blustering armchair critics, but by individuals who know how to work with others and get the task at hand done well.
If DeAngelo is such an individual, he should be welcome on the Oilers."

[Updated on: Tue, 27 August 2024 01:43]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: The Hunt for RHD (before) October [message #837800 is a reply to message #837799 ]
Tue, 27 August 2024 06:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 27 August 2024 04:41

Rutuu wrote on Tue, 27 August 2024 00:29

Staples is all for it as well.. he discussed the Seravelli ON interview comments today in his Cult of Hockey.. discussed DeAngelo.. and concluded he'd be a worthwhile pick up..

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey /edmonton-oilers-big-trade-frank-seravalli-nhl-insder

Quote:

" 3. As I’ve said before, I see DeAngelo as a good bet. If there are any real questions about character, Nurse can help answer them, as he was DeAngelo’s teammate for half a year in Sault St. Marie.
DeAngelo had an iffy regular season in 2023-24, playing just 31 games with only 11 points, and -7. But he was solid enough to play nine games in the playoffs for Carolina.
And in the two previous seasons, he had 42 points in 70 games and 51 points in 64 games.
Of course, he worked the power play in those better seasons but who is to say Evan Bouchard will have perfect health this year?
Would it not be wise to have a high-powered back-up on the payroll?
DeAngelo could well be that player and he’s between four and six years younger than other players being mentioned just now such as Tyson Barrie, Justin Schultz and Kevin Shattenkirk."

"6. Good to see Seravalli stand up for second chances for players like DeAngelo.
This is the age of cancellation and rapid, self-righteous and sometimes merciless judgement, often based on the barest of facts or corrosive misinformation.
It’s also the case that the road to success isn’t paved by angels, nor by blustering armchair critics, but by individuals who know how to work with others and get the task at hand done well.
If DeAngelo is such an individual, he should be welcome on the Oilers."

I admittedly haven't seen much of him or paid much attention to him, but what I do know is that he has some pretty high end offense. Not sure about his own zone - opinions seem to go from horrible to average. I'm guessing it's at least passable. And best of all IMO, he would be a pretty great insurance policy against Bouchard going down. Hell, even a great PP2 weapon as well.

For close to league minimum, I see this as the lowest risk and absolute highest reward option. I really believe this guy could be way better than Broberg would have been for us, for less than a quarter of the price. And again, at only 28, if he is a good fit, he could be here for a few years.

Ekholm - Bouchard
Nurse - DeAngelo
Kulak - Emberson
Stecher

Swap Emberson/DeAngelo/Stecher if one fits better with the other D partner, but I think that look not too bad.

And why did we sign Josh Brown to a 3 year deal?

[Updated on: Tue, 27 August 2024 06:13]

Re: The Hunt for RHD (before) October [message #837803 is a reply to message #837800 ]
Tue, 27 August 2024 15:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Mike wrote on Tue, 27 August 2024 05:00

..I admittedly haven't seen much of him or paid much attention to him, but what I do know is that he has some pretty high end offense. Not sure about his own zone - opinions seem to go from horrible to average. I'm guessing it's at least passable. And best of all IMO, he would be a pretty great insurance policy against Bouchard going down. Hell, even a great PP2 weapon as well.

For close to league minimum, I see this as the lowest risk and absolute highest reward option. I really believe this guy could be way better than Broberg would have been for us, for less than a quarter of the price. And again, at only 28, if he is a good fit, he could be here for a few years.

Ekholm - Bouchard
Nurse - DeAngelo
Kulak - Emberson
Stecher

Swap Emberson/DeAngelo/Stecher if one fits better with the other D partner, but I think that look not too bad.

And why did we sign Josh Brown to a 3 year deal?

I think Nurse and TDA would be a volatile match.. how about..

Bouchard - Ekholm
DeAngelo - Kulak
Emberson/Stecher - Nurse

??

[Updated on: Tue, 27 August 2024 16:18]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: The Hunt for RHD (before) October [message #837804 is a reply to message #837799 ]
Tue, 27 August 2024 19:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 27 August 2024 01:41

Given the David Staples Rule - that being that anything David Staples says about hockey or life in general tends to be wrong - I think maybe it's a good idea to pass on DeAngelo.

Like the others on the list, he spent a lot of time on the bench last year, including some healthy scratches in the playoffs, and his numbers generally were not good. Once again, worst +/- on the team amongst defencemen at -7 in 41 games. No other regular 'Canes d-man was even negative, so on a relative basis that's pretty incredible.

Someone in the Oiler Twitterverse (Woodguy?) did a quick look at the various options yesterday. Conclusion was that it was all pretty slim pickings and Stecher, who is really up and down, might be as good as a stop gap as there is out there. I think he said of the UFA options, Schultz scores slightly better than some of the others on the advanced metrics, but also not good.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireBobbyNicks

Re: The Hunt for RHD (before) October [message #837793 is a reply to message #837777 ]
Mon, 26 August 2024 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

I've been looking for some stats to compare defensemen.. I can find Corsi and Fenwick published..

Anyone know the best stats for defensive comparisons?

I'd like to compare all the RHD UFAs and some on the Oilers present/past to get a better picture..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: The Hunt for RHD (before) October [message #837802 is a reply to message #837777 ]
Tue, 27 August 2024 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Seravelli also mentioned Oilers might be looking at a trade for a RHD.. after training camp .. or during season..

..A certain female avatar is suggesting D. Fabbro as of yesterday
Fabbro's been healthy scratched last year in Nashville..

Think I'd want DeAngelo instead for free.. ?

[Updated on: Tue, 27 August 2024 15:01]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: The Hunt for RHD (before) October [message #837805 is a reply to message #837777 ]
Thu, 29 August 2024 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

.. lots of chatter about Dante Fabbro.. something might be cooking..

I'm worried Bowman will want to make a Chiarelli-like "splash" trade to inaugurate his GM-ship.. and trading for Fabbro could be it..

Don't know why you will give up assets for a guy you could get similar play from in DeAngelo.. for less cap hit.. and for free.

Fabbros stats aren't great.. worse than DeAngelo IMO.. DeAngelo is faster, better shot percentage, similar zone starts.. DeAngelos Corsi and Fenwick are better.. and with all the talk about DeAngelo playing with Slavin.. from what I can gather Fabbro's main partner was Roman Josi.. who's probably even better than Slavin.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: The Hunt for RHD (before) October [message #837806 is a reply to message #837777 ]
Thu, 29 August 2024 19:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

.. chatter its Wanner that would go the other way..

Why give up a decent RHD prospect, with some physicality for a routinely healthy scratched D that is at best (IMO) equal to DeAngelo?

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: The Hunt for RHD (before) October [message #837814 is a reply to message #837806 ]
Fri, 30 August 2024 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 29 August 2024 19:04

.. chatter its Wanner that would go the other way..

Why give up a decent RHD prospect, with some physicality for a routinely healthy scratched D that is at best (IMO) equal to DeAngelo?

Not sure what we would see in Fabbro. Aside from being a cheaper version of Ceci maybe.

Would not be a move that moves the needle much. Don't have that much cap space to make a meaningful D upgrade and this would use a lot of it up.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: The Hunt for RHD (before) October [message #837812 is a reply to message #837777 ]
Fri, 30 August 2024 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

....PLEASE BOWMAN.... DON'T MESS THIS UP...

I have no faith in that guy... not sure why but I feel like he's the second coming of Chiarelli.. he hasn't made a move except letting their players go on offer sheets.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: The Hunt for RHD (before) October [message #837818 is a reply to message #837812 ]
Fri, 30 August 2024 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Fri, 30 August 2024 08:25

....PLEASE BOWMAN.... DON'T MESS THIS UP...

I have no faith in that guy... not sure why but I feel like he's the second coming of Chiarelli.. he hasn't made a move except letting their players go on offer sheets.

That's my fear as well.. too many new GM's want to announce their arrival by making a big splash.. hopefully Jackson and his analytics team have a hold of the reins.. 😬

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: The Hunt for RHD (before) October [message #837858 is a reply to message #837777 ]
Wed, 04 September 2024 00:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Sounds like Tyson Barrie is getting a PTO from Calgary..

Down to DeAngelo, Schultz, Shattenkirk..

Stauffer figures Schultz is his bet..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: The Hunt for RHD (before) October [message #837863 is a reply to message #837858 ]
Wed, 04 September 2024 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 04 September 2024 00:42

Sounds like Tyson Barrie is getting a PTO from Calgary..

Down to DeAngelo, Schultz, Shattenkirk..

Stauffer figures Schultz is his bet..

Hey - if we really want Tyson back, we can always steal him right out from under the Flames by sending him a real contract while he's over there at camp. Happened with Joe Murphy (Rangers scooped him from Bruins who threw Murphy's equipment in the river) and Kris Versteeg (I believe Calgary stole him out from under us?).

I mean, I wouldn't do it for Tyson Barrie, but it would be funny to mess with the Flames though if they decided they wanted to sign him.

#FireBobbyNicks

Re: The Hunt for RHD (before) October [message #837867 is a reply to message #837863 ]
Wed, 04 September 2024 23:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 04 September 2024 12:11

.. Hey - if we really want Tyson back, we can always steal him right out from under the Flames by sending him a real contract while he's over there at camp. Happened with Joe Murphy (Rangers scooped him from Bruins who threw Murphy's equipment in the river) and Kris Versteeg (I believe Calgary stole him out from under us?).

I mean, I wouldn't do it for Tyson Barrie, but it would be funny to mess with the Flames though if they decided they wanted to sign him.

Yeah, I remember that Versteeg pick off.. happily he didn't wind up doing much in Cowtown.. two teams I'd love to mess with now.. Calgary just because.. its fun.. and now also St. Louis.. except with St. Louis I want it to hit deep.. and when its least expected.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: The Hunt for RHD (before) October [message #837869 is a reply to message #837867 ]
Thu, 05 September 2024 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 04 September 2024 23:04

Adam wrote on Wed, 04 September 2024 12:11

.. Hey - if we really want Tyson back, we can always steal him right out from under the Flames by sending him a real contract while he's over there at camp. Happened with Joe Murphy (Rangers scooped him from Bruins who threw Murphy's equipment in the river) and Kris Versteeg (I believe Calgary stole him out from under us?).

Yeah, I remember that Versteeg pick off.. happily he didn't wind up doing much in Cowtown.. two teams I'd love to mess with now.. Calgary just because.. its fun.. and now also St. Louis.. except with St. Louis I want it to hit deep.. and when its least expected.

I think Calgary may have done enough damage to themselves by hiring ex-player Conroy to run their show. I have a feeling he'll be right along the Mike Grier/Bill Guerin/Kevyn Adams ilk. I'm pretty happy if we just keep friendly relations with all those GMs and then rob them blind in trade after trade.

#FireBobbyNicks

Re: The Hunt for RHD (before) October [message #837875 is a reply to message #837777 ]
Fri, 06 September 2024 15:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Rumours du jour:

1. Giordano's agent suggesting Giordano is interested in a PTO with Oilers

2. Friedman suggesting Shattenkirk / Oilers talking

3. Seravelli saying Oilers willing to bring in Schultz for PTO.. but he's holding out for a contract..

4. Friedman also saying Cam Fowler is available from Ducks in trade.. restricted to player approved teams

No DeAngelo talk..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: The Hunt for RHD (before) October [message #837876 is a reply to message #837875 ]
Fri, 06 September 2024 15:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

Is there a limit on how many PTO's you can bring in?
Sign everybody to one! Create that atmosphere in camp that EVERYONE has to fight for their job.

Re: The Hunt for RHD (before) October [message #837877 is a reply to message #837875 ]
Fri, 06 September 2024 16:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Fri, 06 September 2024 15:56

Rumours du jour:

3. Seravelli saying Oilers willing to bring in Schultz for PTO.. but he's holding out for a contract..

4. Friedman also saying Cam Fowler is available from Ducks in trade.. restricted to player approved teams

No DeAngelo talk..

I would actually take Kneeordano here. He has played the right side, and that would be a pretty rock solid 3rd pair with Kulak. And I guess an emergency guy that could play with nurse if needed. Probably the most well rounded player of people available. He's old, but can still play a solid depth game. Most of the other guys available are very questionable in their own end.

Fowler I'd take for sure, but that would be a tough trade, plus he's expensive. Think Fowler can play the right side too.

[Updated on: Fri, 06 September 2024 16:21]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: The Hunt for RHD (before) October [message #837878 is a reply to message #837877 ]
Fri, 06 September 2024 16:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilfan94  is currently offline oilfan94

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 06 September 2024 18:19

Rumours du jour:

No DeAngelo talk..

I would actually take Kneeordano here. He has played the right side, and that would be a pretty rock solid 3rd pair with Kulak. And I guess an emergency guy that could play with nurse if needed. Probably the most well rounded player of people available. He's old, but can still play a solid depth game. Most of the other guys available are very questionable in their own end.

Fowler I'd take for sure, but that would be a tough trade, plus he's expensive. Think Fowler can play the right side too.

I would pass on Fowler. A lot of points he gets are on the PP, and he has been a majorly minus player the last 2 years. I know he is on a bad team, but he has been minus almost every season of his career.

Re: The Hunt for RHD (before) October [message #837880 is a reply to message #837878 ]
Fri, 06 September 2024 16:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

oilfan94 wrote on Fri, 06 September 2024 16:31

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 06 September 2024 18:19

Rumours du jour:

No DeAngelo talk..

I would pass on Fowler. A lot of points he gets are on the PP, and he has been a majorly minus player the last 2 years. I know he is on a bad team, but he has been minus almost every season of his career.

Yeah, it's a gamble trying to guess what a guy that has played on a garbage team for like 85% of his career would do if he finally played on a good team.

Can't think of many recent examples, although we have a forward version of that in Jeff Skinner :)

It would be a law ditch effort kinda move, cause if we took that cap, that would be it, that's the guy we think fixes the D. Anayltics for Fowler have always suggested he's a good player on a bad team, but it's never easy to judge, because relative stats are compared to a bucket of poo that the Ducks have been for so long. He's not young anymore either.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: The Hunt for RHD (before) October [message #837879 is a reply to message #837877 ]
Fri, 06 September 2024 16:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 06 September 2024 16:19

What did Giordano's fancies look like in Toronto last year? He's long in the tooth...if he's cheap maybe? Played in only 46 games last year with 9 points and +10. That's definitely better than Tyson Barrie.

Fowler, I think you need a trade that you're not giving up too much AND where the Ducks keep salary. That might not be the easiest one to manage.

Dragon_Matt wrote on Fri, 06 September 2024 15:58

Sign everybody to one! Create that atmosphere in camp that EVERYONE has to fight for their job.

You can bring in lots of PTO guys, but they take reps away from prospects who you don't get to see in these situations very often.

My thought with training camp is that it should be extremely rare that someone makes the team out of camp. You should know your roster pretty well, and teams have enough scouting available to them, not to mention reams and reams of video tape, that they should be able to evaluate where players fit and barring either a massive jump in performance level over the summer or an injury that opens up a spot, the roster should be pretty well set in August before camp starts. If I'm a GM, I'm not changing my mind about where a player sits based on two weeks where the vets don't care and 60% of the opponents are minor leaguers.

We've seen the Oilers fooled by a pre-season hot streak before...they don't tend to be sustainable.

#FireBobbyNicks

Re: The Hunt for RHD (before) October [message #837881 is a reply to message #837879 ]
Fri, 06 September 2024 16:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 06 September 2024 16:47

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 06 September 2024 16:19

What did Giordano's fancies look like in Toronto last year? He's long in the tooth...if he's cheap maybe? Played in only 46 games last year with 9 points and +10. That's definitely better than Tyson Barrie.

Fowler, I think you need a trade that you're not giving up too much AND where the Ducks keep salary. That might not be the easiest one to manage.

Dragon_Matt wrote on Fri, 06 September 2024 15:58

You can bring in lots of PTO guys, but they take reps away from prospects who you don't get to see in these situations very often.

My thought with training camp is that it should be extremely rare that someone makes the team out of camp. You should know your roster pretty well, and teams have enough scouting available to them, not to mention reams and reams of video tape, that they should be able to evaluate where players fit and barring either a massive jump in performance level over the summer or an injury that opens up a spot, the roster should be pretty well set in August before camp starts. If I'm a GM, I'm not changing my mind about where a player sits based on two weeks where the vets don't care and 60% of the opponents are minor leaguers.

We've seen the Oilers fooled by a pre-season hot streak before...they don't tend to be sustainable.

I think from the fancy angle, Gio actually played pretty well last year

A graphic I was able to find quick, his performance rebounded it seems after he dropped down the depth chart. I think those last 2 years he's being rated as a 2nd/3rd pair D instead of a top pair one, so gives better looking number on the chart.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GLAC9i7WQAAT5lb?format=jpg&name=small

If he would sign cheap, I think he'd be a pretty useful player. Could even take out some knees if we need!

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: The Hunt for RHD (before) October [message #837893 is a reply to message #837777 ]
Mon, 09 September 2024 21:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Knoblauch on Staffer today.. nothing anyone didn't already know.. said there will be one PTO added for training camp..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: The Hunt for RHD (before) October [message #837908 is a reply to message #837777 ]
Thu, 12 September 2024 00:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

reports out that both and Kane and Nurse will not be ready to go at start of camp.
We knew already about Kane.. nothing about Nurse.

Apparently the injury Nurse has is left over from the playoffs..

One question is how long before the end of season did he have that injury?

If it was a long term injury that he had during the regular season.. it might explain his poor play.. one thing I was most aware of was his very poor ability to pivot.. if it was a groin or core injury.. could explain some of it..

If Nurse dealt with this during the regular season.. was it at Christmas time while Broberg was platooning in Bakersfield?

If so, and the Oilers knew of Nurses injury, that would have been the time to lock up Broberg long term, just to protect the team depth at defense.. and would've been a big error not to.

If the injury happened much later, like during the playoffs, then less egregious an error.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: The Hunt for RHD (before) October [message #837910 is a reply to message #837908 ]
Thu, 12 September 2024 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 12 September 2024 00:41

reports out that both and Kane and Nurse will not be ready to go at start of camp.
We knew already about Kane.. nothing about Nurse.

Apparently the injury Nurse has is left over from the playoffs..

One question is how long before the end of season did he have that injury?

If it was a long term injury that he had during the regular season.. it might explain his poor play.. one thing I was most aware of was his very poor ability to pivot.. if it was a groin or core injury.. could explain some of it..

If Nurse dealt with this during the regular season.. was it at Christmas time while Broberg was platooning in Bakersfield?

If so, and the Oilers knew of Nurses injury, that would have been the time to lock up Broberg long term, just to protect the team depth at defense.. and would've been a big error not to.

If the injury happened much later, like during the playoffs, then less egregious an error.

Think the Nurse injury was in game 2 of the finals. He seemed to be himself for most of the playoffs, but that took a step away from him. Thankfully Skinner did backflips for his pair the rest of the series and it didn't hurt that much.

Hope nurse didn't just lose a summer of working on some finer points in his game and we are now just waiting for the same guy to come back that was near setting a minus record in playoffs icon_biggrin

Bowman, my man, hope you have a plan to find a perfect partner for Nursery.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: The Hunt for RHD (before) October [message #837911 is a reply to message #837910 ]
Thu, 12 September 2024 10:07 Go to previous message
Jakey  is currently offline Jakey

No Cups

Will Borgen of the Seattle Kraken is a player I believe would fit very nicely on the right side. He probably won't be available until closer to the trade deadline & if the Kraken are somewhat out of the playoff picture.

He has solid speed, size, plays physical, can more the puck decently & has an ok contract at $2.75 Million for this year (UFA in summer). He also has a decent amount of games played under his belt. After watching him the last couple of years he seems to have a bit of a nasty side to him and keeps getting better each year. Could be a poor mans 4th RHD addition in Feb/March?

With Larsson now extended, I believe he will be available if they are out of the playoffs or struggling to get into the playoffs in Feb/Mar.

Next Topic:Draisaitl Deal
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca