Re: Bowman the new GM... [message #837470 is a reply to message #837465 ]
Wed, 24 July 2024 18:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rutuu  is currently offline Rutuu

No Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 24 July 2024 17:03

inverno76 wrote on Wed, 24 July 2024 16:14

Adam wrote on Wed, 24 July 2024 16:01

smyth260 wrote on Wed, 24 July 2024 15:52

I think the Oilers are about to find out the limits of some of their fanbase. I think this is going to hurt revenue in some form.

Like everything else we do, the team better win now. If they don't, these mistakes get really, really magnified. Bowman (and Jackson) needs to find a way to get extensions with Draisaitl and Bouchard pronto.

Nothing will be financially impacted until something bad happens to 29 or 97. The organization has proven to be Teflon for decades. Unless someone bolts I can’t see attendance, jersey sales or team support drastically changing.

An unfortunate reality in pro sports. This is nothing more than a talking point. I am not sure what my breaking point is for mismanagement m, but I’m not even remotely close to wavering yet.

The wheels on the Oilers bus were getting really shaky before the McDavid lottery win. They weren't close to selling out, ratings we down, and we were close to a fan revolt. Remember the Low Must Go billboard era? 2015 bought this team at least a decade of happy times.

I thought real change was going to happen. The lottery balls proved there is no such thing as Karma though and papered over our cracks, for clearly the gain of all the wrong people.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Bowman the new GM... [message #837467 is a reply to message #837464 ]
Wed, 24 July 2024 17:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Wed, 24 July 2024 16:14

Adam wrote on Wed, 24 July 2024 16:01

smyth260 wrote on Wed, 24 July 2024 15:52

I think the Oilers are about to find out the limits of some of their fanbase. I think this is going to hurt revenue in some form.

Like everything else we do, the team better win now. If they don't, these mistakes get really, really magnified. Bowman (and Jackson) needs to find a way to get extensions with Draisaitl and Bouchard pronto.

Nothing will be financially impacted until something bad happens to 29 or 97. The organization has proven to be Teflon for decades. Unless someone bolts I can’t see attendance, jersey sales or team support drastically changing.

An unfortunate reality in pro sports. This is nothing more than a talking point. I am not sure what my breaking point is for mismanagement m, but I’m not even remotely close to wavering yet.

I mean, we have a risky season coming here. We could go in to the year with Draisaitl non-committal on re-signing, and then hit a hot goalie and have a first round upset next spring. Then see Draisaitl leave, and go in to the next summer with exactly the same set-up surrounding Connor McDavid. If that happens, this moment gets scrutinized.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireBobbyNicks

Re: Bowman the new GM... [message #837466 is a reply to message #837429 ]
Wed, 24 July 2024 17:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

No Cups

I figured this would happen, given all the smoke, but terribly unhappy with it.

Goodwill, out the door.

Re: Bowman the new GM... [message #837474 is a reply to message #837429 ]
Wed, 24 July 2024 18:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

4 Cups

So After S. Bowman hiring.. who'd you rather have now?[ 15 vote(s) ]
1.S. Bowman 4 / 27%
2.K. Holland for another 2 years (with JJ calling the shots) 6 / 40%
3... Bob Stauffer ! 🙂 5 / 33%

So if you got into the Hot-Tub-Time-Machine..

[Updated on: Wed, 24 July 2024 19:42]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Bowman the new GM... [message #837478 is a reply to message #837474 ]
Thu, 25 July 2024 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

but... I don't wanna take this poll.

Re: Bowman the new GM... [message #837479 is a reply to message #837478 ]
Thu, 25 July 2024 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Dragon_Matt wrote on Thu, 25 July 2024 11:32

Jeff Jackson is my vote. I don't recall a time in the last 10-15 years where so much of the fanbase almost unanimously loved almost everything our GM has done the way we almost all of us did with JJ's month or so making the moves.

Scandal aside, I see Bowman as decidedly mediocre. No better than Holland. I admittedly didn't go through his cap management and trade history with a fine tooth comb, but IMO he won on the back of a team mostly assembled by Tallon. confused2

Re: Bowman the new GM... [message #837481 is a reply to message #837479 ]
Thu, 25 July 2024 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Thu, 25 July 2024 09:13

Jeff Jackson is my vote. I don't recall a time in the last 10-15 years where so much of the fanbase almost unanimously loved almost everything our GM has done the way we almost all of us did with JJ's month or so making the moves.

Scandal aside, I see Bowman as decidedly mediocre. No better than Holland. I admittedly didn't go through his cap management and trade history with a fine tooth comb, but IMO he won on the back of a team mostly assembled by Tallon. confused2

Knowing how to make trades and building a team with a long term view is a different skillset than JJ put on display though. He loaded up on UFA's, some at bargains for sure, with no regard for the cap. And he traded McLeod, who is actually a pretty useful player, for a good prospect to the most desperate team in the NHL to just make a wildcard spot, with one of the lamest GMs.

We need some very very good trades pulled off to keep the McDrai era in a state of contending for cups for the next 4-5 years. 5 years of weak drafting creates even more of a handicap for our GM. Not sure I would trust JJ to pull that off. JJ is trusting Stan Bowman to do it, and I have a hard time with that too.

[Updated on: Thu, 25 July 2024 09:45]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Bowman the new GM... [message #837491 is a reply to message #837481 ]
Fri, 26 July 2024 06:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 25 July 2024 12:43

Knowing how to make trades and building a team with a long term view is a different skillset than JJ put on display though. He loaded up on UFA's, some at bargains for sure, with no regard for the cap. And he traded McLeod, who is actually a pretty useful player, for a good prospect to the most desperate team in the NHL to just make a wildcard spot, with one of the lamest GMs.

We need some very very good trades pulled off to keep the McDrai era in a state of contending for cups for the next 4-5 years. 5 years of weak drafting creates even more of a handicap for our GM. Not sure I would trust JJ to pull that off. JJ is trusting Stan Bowman to do it, and I have a hard time with that too.

It might be a different skillset, but I liked almost everything he did so far. From appointing Knoblauch to getting all of Janmark, Brown, Henrique, and Jeff Skinner inked for less than $9M combined.

I like some of McLeod's skills, but one of the most frustratingly soft players I've ever seen. So whatever.

Re: Bowman the new GM... [message #837492 is a reply to message #837491 ]
Fri, 26 July 2024 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Fri, 26 July 2024 06:12

It might be a different skillset, but I liked almost everything he did so far. From appointing Knoblauch to getting all of Janmark, Brown, Henrique, and Jeff Skinner inked for less than $9M combined.

I like some of McLeod's skills, but one of the most frustratingly soft players I've ever seen. So whatever.

I liked what he did too. But he also hired Bowman haha.

McLeod can be frustrating, but at least the guy plays defense. Scored 3 goals in the finals as well. I think there was lots of room to grow for him, and maybe a sport psychologist and just becoming more of a vet will let him grind things out a bit better. Still just a young middle 6 guy learning. Look at a guy like Backlund who was pretty useless until he was in his late 20's. Oh well though, we stacked the heck out of our forward group now and maxed the cap, we should be able to survive. Still gotta fix the D though.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Bowman the new GM... [message #837493 is a reply to message #837492 ]
Fri, 26 July 2024 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

McLeod could become the new generation Cogliano, but I was frustrated with the majority of games in the playoffs too. You can't skate past everyone, especially in the finals. If D-men know you're not a physical threat, they take the extra time given to make better plays... and they did. He was also expensive for what he brought and the role he played last year.

Re: Bowman the new GM... [message #837494 is a reply to message #837492 ]
Fri, 26 July 2024 15:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 26 July 2024 09:28

McLeod can be frustrating, but at least the guy plays defense. Scored 3 goals in the finals as well. I think there was lots of room to grow for him, and maybe a sport psychologist and just becoming more of a vet will let him grind things out a bit better. Still just a young middle 6 guy learning. Look at a guy like Backlund who was pretty useless until he was in his late 20's. Oh well though, we stacked the heck out of our forward group now and maxed the cap, we should be able to survive. Still gotta fix the D though.

I like that they got a guy with a theoretically higher ceiling in that trade. That said, we need to replace McLeod still this summer. Our bottom six looks old and relatively slow. I was a little surprised we brought back Perry, given that he didn't play the bulk of the Finals. Maybe we can graduate someone like Lavoie from the Condors to that role. It's possible that Jarventie could be pencilled in there too.

[Updated on: Fri, 26 July 2024 15:55]

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireBobbyNicks

Re: Bowman the new GM... [message #837495 is a reply to message #837492 ]
Fri, 26 July 2024 20:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
welcometotheOC  is currently offline welcometotheOC

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 26 July 2024 09:28

I kept saying to my son during the playoffs that McLeod drove me crazy because he can play good defence, or at least make good defensive plays. HOWEVER, he can also almost be depended on to make the worst choice when trying to exit the defensive zone, resulting in brutal giveaways at the blue line and extended defensive zone time where he had plently of opportunity to exhibit those defensive plays because he has been forced to do it to make up for causing the d-zone Keystone Cops routine (yes, I’m old, though that term predates me by at least 4 decades!)

Re: Bowman the new GM... [message #837496 is a reply to message #837491 ]
Sat, 27 July 2024 01:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

For me every move looks good with 97. If we didn't have 97, all these moves are kinda terrible. I mean we have 97, so that's awesome...but my logic is still why not fix our D and goaltending? All those moves would also look awesome, because we have 97, and they'd address some of the problems that actually exist.

Anyway, whatever, we've got 97, so every move is basically bullet proof...even the Bowman hiring. Hopefully Connor never figures out how many boat anchors are actually tied to his waist and he signs long term this time next year.

Re: Bowman the new GM... [message #837489 is a reply to message #837479 ]
Thu, 25 July 2024 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

The last time we were this United was the summer of 06 with Kevin Lowe...pisani and horcoff.

Re: Bowman the new GM... [message #837476 is a reply to message #837429 ]
Wed, 24 July 2024 19:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

4 Cups

Here's S. Bowman interview on Stauffer.. Sheldon Kennedy interviewed as well..

https://globalnews.ca/edmonton/program/oilers-now-with-bob-s tauffer

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Bowman the new GM... [message #837477 is a reply to message #837429 ]
Thu, 25 July 2024 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hibernia  is currently offline Hibernia

No Cups

Finally spent a few minutes going through the interview... or at least what's been quoted on Sportsnet. Did they talk about anything other than the Beach-Aldridge scandal? Did anyone ask about his record as GM in Chicago? I'm glad he's learned his lessons and spent time talking with those who have suffered. I believe in giving people second chances. (I like that this team gives people 2nd chances) But in this case, the 2nd chance seems to be all about the scandal, when this dude's work as a GM, that was handed a significant Cup-calibre core, is not inspiring.

Had he been the GM to build up the Hawks rather than the one that tore it down, I'd be more onboard with this hiring.

As it is, we just hired the first available GM with Stanley Cup winning experience that walked in front of the team. The Oilers are like that person you know who is always in a relationship. They just get out of one and right into another one (just llike the last one) without seeing who else is out there.

What happened to all of my messages? lol (I guess it's been awhile) Twitter: @AitchOil

Re: Bowman the new GM... [message #837480 is a reply to message #837429 ]
Thu, 25 July 2024 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilfan94  is currently offline oilfan94

No Cups

Thinking again on the Oilers obsession with hiring a GM that as won a Cup, I looked at a history of all GMs that have been to the Stanley Cup Final, which ones went with multiple teams, and if they won with multiple teams. It is not a long list.

Bob Clarke
Minnesota North Stars L
Philadelphia Flyers L
Ken Holland
Edmonton Oilers L
Detroit Red Wings W
Bryan Murray
Florida Panthers L
Mighty Ducks of Anaheim L
George McPhee
Vegas Golden Knights L
Washington Capitals L
Glen Sather
Edmonton Oilers W
New York Rangers L
Jim Rutherford
Carolina Hurricanes W
Pittsburgh Penguins W
Lester Patrick
New York Rangers W
Vancouver Millionaires L
Victoria Cougars W
Punch Imlach
Buffalo Sabres L
Toronto Maple Leafs W
Scotty Bowman
Detroit Red Wings L
St. Louis Blues L
Tommy Gorman
Montreal Canadiens W
Montreal Maroons W
Ottawa Senators W

So only 3 GMs have ever done it, with Jim Rutherford being the only one in the last 80 years to pull it off. So not unprecedented, but not a predictor for future success based on history.

Edit: Does anyone know how to format stuff like this better?

Re: Bowman the new GM... [message #837484 is a reply to message #837480 ]
Thu, 25 July 2024 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

oilfan94 wrote on Thu, 25 July 2024 09:20

Tommy Gorman
Montreal Canadiens W
Montreal Maroons W
Ottawa Senators W

Can we get this guy???

#FireBobbyNicks

Re: Bowman the new GM... [message #837485 is a reply to message #837484 ]
Thu, 25 July 2024 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilfan94  is currently offline oilfan94

No Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 25 July 2024 13:16

Tommy Gorman
Montreal Canadiens W
Montreal Maroons W
Ottawa Senators W

Can we get this guy???

That doesn't even include the fact that he was the coach of the Black Hawks for their first cup in 1934. He won an Olympic Gold medal in 1908 for lacrosse as well. I had never heard of him, but this guy is a legend.

Re: Bowman the new GM... [message #837486 is a reply to message #837485 ]
Thu, 25 July 2024 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

oilfan94 wrote on Thu, 25 July 2024 11:34

Tommy Gorman
Montreal Canadiens W
Montreal Maroons W
Ottawa Senators W

Can we get this guy???

That doesn't even include the fact that he was the coach of the Black Hawks for their first cup in 1934. He won an Olympic Gold medal in 1908 for lacrosse as well. I had never heard of him, but this guy is a legend.

Fun fact: lacrosse is the only summer Olympic sport where Canada leads the all-time medal table.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Bowman the new GM... [message #837487 is a reply to message #837485 ]
Thu, 25 July 2024 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
benv  is currently offline benv

No Cups

Tommy Gorman
Montreal Canadiens W
Montreal Maroons W
Ottawa Senators W

Can we get this guy???

Thomas Patrick Gorman (June 9, 1886 – May 15, 1961)

Damn--missed him by just 63 years.

Re: Bowman the new GM... [message #837488 is a reply to message #837487 ]
Thu, 25 July 2024 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

benv wrote on Thu, 25 July 2024 12:07

Tommy Gorman
Montreal Canadiens W
Montreal Maroons W
Ottawa Senators W

Can we get this guy???

Thomas Patrick Gorman (June 9, 1886 – May 15, 1961)

Damn--missed him by just 63 years.

Could try to recreate him with AI. Just gotta collect all the newspaper clippings with his quotes.

Oilers with the first AI GM. Could never acuse the org ever again of not being ahead of the curve.

[Updated on: Thu, 25 July 2024 12:43]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Bowman the new GM... [message #837482 is a reply to message #837429 ]
Thu, 25 July 2024 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Treads  is currently offline Treads

No Cups

Been a while....

Thoughts

On the hockey side, Bowman has some credentials to support the hire, but like all GMs in the league, his asset management skills, judged in hindsight, are not flattering. My assumption is they hired for fit and common vision as much as skills. Just because JJ says he doesn't want to be the GM, doesn't mean Bowman gets unlimited scope. My assumption (I think a fair one) is that JJ will still break ties but will want to see Bowman work with the Hockey Ops team and build consensus on how to improve the team.

On the personal side - Bowman doesn't owe Oilers Fans an apology or groveling. He's gotten a chance and he owes the team his best efforts. What he owes to 'people' is that he uses this chance to improve the culture of the game, and to lend his voice where it can help. He's apologized to Beach from what I've read, and that's what matters in my eyes.

Consulting players - I'd be shocked if there weren't conversations about Stan Bowman, or hypotheticals about a GM with a certain history joining the team, but I think by design they wouldn't have asked for players input on the specific decision to hire Bowman, as all it does is open up players to the anger that is being vented. Good leadership IMO to own the decision by JJ/Katz.

I agree that Bowman doesn't look like the clear #1, but I think likely in a multi-way tie for best candidate, and his hire brings noise to the team that could be a distraction - especially if the team has any bumps in the road this year.

As a fan - I see the reason for professional concerns about his ability/results, but I don't have much time for the blanket judgement crowd.

I'm going to give him a chance to show us how good a person he is, and how good a hockey exec he is. Those are 2 different things and I hope to have to wisdom to separate them.

My guess - they have Draisaitl terms agreed to and will announce in ~2 weeks so he gets an early win under his belt.

Faster than Pronger's retreat
More powerful than David Frost's Ego,
Able to leap small d-men in a single bound...

Re: Bowman the new GM... [message #837483 is a reply to message #837482 ]
Thu, 25 July 2024 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

Treads wrote on Thu, 25 July 2024 10:32

Been a while....

Thoughts

On the hockey side, Bowman has some credentials to support the hire, but like all GMs in the league, his asset management skills, judged in hindsight, are not flattering. My assumption is they hired for fit and common vision as much as skills. Just because JJ says he doesn't want to be the GM, doesn't mean Bowman gets unlimited scope. My assumption (I think a fair one) is that JJ will still break ties but will want to see Bowman work with the Hockey Ops team and build consensus on how to improve the team.

On the personal side - Bowman doesn't owe Oilers Fans an apology or groveling. He's gotten a chance and he owes the team his best efforts. What he owes to 'people' is that he uses this chance to improve the culture of the game, and to lend his voice where it can help. He's apologized to Beach from what I've read, and that's what matters in my eyes.

Consulting players - I'd be shocked if there weren't conversations about Stan Bowman, or hypotheticals about a GM with a certain history joining the team, but I think by design they wouldn't have asked for players input on the specific decision to hire Bowman, as all it does is open up players to the anger that is being vented. Good leadership IMO to own the decision by JJ/Katz.

I agree that Bowman doesn't look like the clear #1, but I think likely in a multi-way tie for best candidate, and his hire brings noise to the team that could be a distraction - especially if the team has any bumps in the road this year.

As a fan - I see the reason for professional concerns about his ability/results, but I don't have much time for the blanket judgement crowd.

I'm going to give him a chance to show us how good a person he is, and how good a hockey exec he is. Those are 2 different things and I hope to have to wisdom to separate them.

My guess - they have Draisaitl terms agreed to and will announce in ~2 weeks so he gets an early win under his belt.

My thoughts too, go for the big win for securing Drai is incoming. If not he wears that well.

Chia and Bowman... separated at birth.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Bowman the new GM... [message #837490 is a reply to message #837429 ]
Thu, 25 July 2024 20:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

No Cups

Damn, Bob Nicholson and Stan Bowman together…

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Bowman the new GM... [message #837565 is a reply to message #837429 ]
Wed, 14 August 2024 10:03 Go to previous message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

1 Cup

Friedman mentioned on today’s 32 thoughts podcast that Dan MacKinnon, assistant GM of New Jersey, went far in the interview process.

Clean house or bust

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:Vancouver trades Podkolzin to Oilers
Next Topic:Summer Tasks
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca