F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Bowman the new GM...Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Bowman the new GM... [message #837429]
Wed, 24 July 2024 08:07 Go to next message
boulangj  is currently offline boulangj

No Cups

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/edmonton-oilers-name-former-chicago-b lackhawks-executive-stan-bowman-as-gm-executive-vp-1.2152538

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Bowman the new GM... [message #837430 is a reply to message #837429 ]
Wed, 24 July 2024 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JPro  is currently offline JPro

No Cups

It's like this team wants to be hated. Bowman isn't even that good and was really stinking it up in his final years with the hawks.

What the hell is going on with this organization? Kane signing looked less and less scummy as time went on so they thought Perry would be ok. And now we've leveled up to a bona fide POS running the show.

Why? What is there to gain here? He's not some GM'ing wizard. Oilers just pissed through any goodwill earned over the last great year.

Truly insanity.

Re: Bowman the new GM... [message #837431 is a reply to message #837430 ]
Wed, 24 July 2024 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

JPro wrote on Wed, 24 July 2024 08:22

It's like this team wants to be hated. Bowman isn't even that good and was really stinking it up in his final years with the hawks.

What the hell is going on with this organization? Kane signing looked less and less scummy as time went on so they thought Perry would be ok. And now we've leveled up to a bona fide POS running the show.

Why? What is there to gain here? He's not some GM'ing wizard. Oilers just pissed through any goodwill earned over the last great year.

Truly insanity.

Wrestling heels as a management philosophy.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Bowman the new GM... [message #837433 is a reply to message #837430 ]
Wed, 24 July 2024 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

JPro wrote on Wed, 24 July 2024 08:22

Truly insanity.

The owner has had allegations of casting couch quid pro quos and was alleged to have paid a young ballerina to be his consort for a while (with some debate about how old she was at that time). The Vice Chair set up a slush fund for Team Canada to cover off "boys being boys".

Those guys don't actually believe that there's an issue with this sort of thing.

To be fair to Bowman, he wasn't the perpetrator, and he wasn't the guy who ultimately said "leave it with me." He did far too little, and it's still pretty crazy that they let that guy have a Stanley Cup ring and get his name on the trophy with the knowledge of what happened. If you're ranking who was the worst there, MacIsaac is probably the top of that heap, given that he was ultimately in charge and by all accounts said he'd deal with it - and did by letting the guy go quietly.

Quenneville is probably next worst. He's the one who was basically saying he didn't want anything disrupted - which could be seen to be advocating to keep the guy through the rest of the playoffs.

Bowman just didn't do enough and didn't go against any of those other steps. Still culpable, of course. Still not good.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireBobbyNicks

Re: Bowman the new GM... [message #837432 is a reply to message #837429 ]
Wed, 24 July 2024 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

Like my signature says..

"Generally Disappointed"

Horrible decision and put the Oilers on several lists to be ridiculed and mocked through the league and sport.

Sheldon Kennedy's foundation has voted in support of him and I will wait to see what he has to say about the work he's done on himself. Maybe he's grown?

On a team full of second chances like Kassian, Kane and now Bowman, maybe we see him be better. Only Stan can show if he's learned anything.

We wait.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Bowman the new GM.. [message #837446 is a reply to message #837432 ]
Wed, 24 July 2024 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

1 Cup

Rocksteady wrote on Wed, 24 July 2024 07:40

Like my signature says..

"Generally Disappointed"

Horrible decision and put the Oilers on several lists to be ridiculed and mocked through the league and sport.

Sheldon Kennedy's foundation has voted in support of him and I will wait to see what he has to say about the work he's done on himself. Maybe he's grown?

On a team full of second chances like Kassian, Kane and now Bowman, maybe we see him be better. Only Stan can show if he's learned anything.

We wait.

Does Kyle Beach forgive Stan Bowman? That is ultimately the voice that matters most in this.

Clean house or bust

Re: Bowman the new GM.. [message #837447 is a reply to message #837446 ]
Wed, 24 July 2024 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

1 Cup

What did we do to deserve this. He wasn’t even a good baseline GM. And throw on top all the coverup shenanigans. Feels like 06…. Lose game 7 and slide right back to being a clown show.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Bowman the new GM.. [message #837452 is a reply to message #837447 ]
Wed, 24 July 2024 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

nullterm wrote on Wed, 24 July 2024 11:03

What did we do to deserve this. He wasn’t even a good baseline GM. And throw on top all the coverup shenanigans. Feels like 06…. Lose game 7 and slide right back to being a clown show.

The fans have been very clear that they don't care about personal lives. As long as anyone is wearing Oiler blue and the team is winning all is fine and all is forgiven. This is a time tested reality. Kane, Fuhr, MacTavish, Kassian, Anderson, Arnott, and many many others I can't remember. I don't necessarily disagree with this perspective. Not only because people should be given second and third chances, but because the Oilers function as to an organization is to win hockey games and championships.

The question then becomes with Bowman help the Oilers win. I don't think he will, but Jackson existing as an overseer should mitigate any hockey problems Bowman might cause. Still, hoping the new GM's hockey flaws should hopefully be mitigated is not a great way to start the era.

Now should the Oilers not win or Bowman leave town, the gloves will come off.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Bowman the new GM... [message #837434 is a reply to message #837429 ]
Wed, 24 July 2024 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilfan94  is currently offline oilfan94

No Cups

Putting aside the obvious conversation surrounding Bowman, here is a list of transactions he had during his time in Chicago (this is the most comprehensive list of trades and signings now that CapFriendly is gone). I remember 10+ years ago he was considered one of the best in the game, but looking at his history I don't think he lives up to that. I think he gets some credit for the Blackhawks retooling after the 2010 Cup win, but I even remember in 2015 that they played with 4 defenders for most of the playoffs because they didn't have a good enough 3rd pairing. He made some good moves here and there, but his moved post 2015 were pretty bad.

https://committedindians.com/stan-bowman-history-as-chicago- blackhawks-gm/

Re: Bowman the new GM... [message #837435 is a reply to message #837434 ]
Wed, 24 July 2024 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

oilfan94 wrote on Wed, 24 July 2024 08:54

Putting aside the obvious conversation surrounding Bowman, here is a list of transactions he had during his time in Chicago (this is the most comprehensive list of trades and signings now that CapFriendly is gone). I remember 10+ years ago he was considered one of the best in the game, but looking at his history I don't think he lives up to that. I think he gets some credit for the Blackhawks retooling after the 2010 Cup win, but I even remember in 2015 that they played with 4 defenders for most of the playoffs because they didn't have a good enough 3rd pairing. He made some good moves here and there, but his moved post 2015 were pretty bad.

https://committedindians.com/stan-bowman-history-as-chicago- blackhawks-gm/

There's certainly a good argument to be made that Dale Tallon did a lot of the heavy lifting with the 'Hawks and even Pulford, who drafted Keith, Seabrook and Toews. Tallon screwed up with paperwork filings leading to several players becoming surprise UFAs which opened the door for Bowman to walk in to a Cup-contending team.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireBobbyNicks

Re: Bowman the new GM... [message #837436 is a reply to message #837429 ]
Wed, 24 July 2024 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

I expect absolute excellence from Bowman. A huge trade to fix the D at minimum.

No excuse to hire this guy unless we get masterful GMing out of him.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Bowman the new GM... [message #837437 is a reply to message #837436 ]
Wed, 24 July 2024 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

That's a fine line to walk... I expect big things, but I REALLY don't want him to walk in the door and think that he has to 'make his mark' on the team. Last thing we need right now is the wrong trade!

Re: Bowman the new GM... [message #837438 is a reply to message #837437 ]
Wed, 24 July 2024 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Dragon_Matt wrote on Wed, 24 July 2024 09:25

That's a fine line to walk... I expect big things, but I REALLY don't want him to walk in the door and think that he has to 'make his mark' on the team. Last thing we need right now is the wrong trade!

We need a trade though. We are not getting once in 3 decade runs from McDavid and Bouch again. Those were absolute miracles and were a necessity to survive because our depth did so little for 3 and a half rounds. Also our crappy bottom 2 D pairs almost buried us again and again in the playoffs, and were a huge pain for Knob all season. The coach bump likely won't come again either, all those win streaks. This season will be much more of a grind, especially if we have 2 dopey D pairs yet again. Can't take miracle, once in multiple generations, playoffs from 2 guys and 16 and 10 (I forget how long the other way) game win streaks for granted at all. And we know what the major weakness of this team still is, for many years straight, and it's still not fixed.

If Bowman can't make a solid trade to fix the D, he shouldn't be here.

[Updated on: Wed, 24 July 2024 09:35]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Bowman the new GM... [message #837450 is a reply to message #837436 ]
Wed, 24 July 2024 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

4 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 24 July 2024 08:18

I'd have left that to Jackson..

All that early post playoff feel good thrown in the trash bin.

You can't even say Bowman is a superior GM than anyone.. at the very best he was equivalent

An unforced error by the franchise

Sad day.

[Updated on: Wed, 24 July 2024 13:02]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Bowman the new GM... [message #837451 is a reply to message #837450 ]
Wed, 24 July 2024 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 24 July 2024 12:56

You can't even say Bowman is a superior GM than anyone.. at the very best he was equivalent

Sad day.

Wouldn't fault Jackson too much if he wasn't comfortable making a high stakes hockey trade. Buffalo advertised that they were desperate for real players (to end their record playoff drought) and would move prospects and we took advantage of that, but fixing the D needs a different kind of trade.

Guess we'll see if Bowman can do it. Winning is the only way now to wash some of the stain of this hire off.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Bowman the new GM... [message #837453 is a reply to message #837451 ]
Wed, 24 July 2024 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 24 July 2024 12:05

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 24 July 2024 12:56

Sad day.

Wouldn't fault Jackson too much if he wasn't comfortable making a high stakes hockey trade. Buffalo advertised that they were desperate for real players (to end their record playoff drought) and would move prospects and we took advantage of that, but fixing the D needs a different kind of trade.

Guess we'll see if Bowman can do it. Winning is the only way now to wash some of the stain of this hire off.

His first job is to sign Leon..

They should have signed Bowman for 1 year x $1 .. he'd have taken it.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Bowman the new GM... [message #837440 is a reply to message #837429 ]
Wed, 24 July 2024 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
philly boy  is currently offline philly boy

No Cups

complete idiots... some shameful **... hasn't made me feel angry in a long time, making it extremely difficult to cheer or support the team in any way...

Re: Bowman the new GM... [message #837441 is a reply to message #837440 ]
Wed, 24 July 2024 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

philly boy wrote on Wed, 24 July 2024 09:49

complete idiots... some shameful **... hasn't made me feel angry in a long time, making it extremely difficult to cheer or support the team in any way...

The embarrassment of this team failing will be on a whole new level. Not only would we continue to waste McDrai, but we went all in on Stan Bowman to be the savior.

Hope this org is feeling the pressure. I do wonder what McDrai think of this. ANd it's just days before McDavid's wedding.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Bowman the new GM... [message #837442 is a reply to message #837441 ]
Wed, 24 July 2024 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 24 July 2024 09:53

The embarrassment of this team failing will be on a whole new level. Not only would we continue to waste McDrai, but we went all in on Stan Bowman to be the savior.

Hope this org is feeling the pressure. I do wonder what McDrai think of this. ANd it's just days before McDavid's wedding.

One would have to believe they knew about this and endorsed the deal. With both contracts looming you’d want to gauge their interest in working with Bowman in the future.

Re: Bowman the new GM... [message #837455 is a reply to message #837442 ]
Wed, 24 July 2024 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Wed, 24 July 2024 10:14

One would have to believe they knew about this and endorsed the deal. With both contracts looming you’d want to gauge their interest in working with Bowman in the future.

According to Jackson, they did not. The players were not consulted about the hire. Honestly, they shouldn't be, so that's the right call.

Jackson and Bowman did a really good job at this press conference. They were really well prepared to speak to the issues, and both addressed ahead of even asking for questions. Huge difference from Holland's off-the-cuff interviews with no preparation (the Ethan Bear online racism & abuse one stands out as the most glaring but even the Keith one and most of the trade deadline ones were train wrecks).

Still seems like unnecessarily putting a lot of negative attention on the organization for a guy who I'm just not sure is head and shoulders better than any of the other candidates out there. Feels like the organization is still dazzled by shiny things and Stan's got three rings.

#FireBobbyNicks

Re: Bowman the new GM... [message #837456 is a reply to message #837455 ]
Wed, 24 July 2024 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilfan94  is currently offline oilfan94

No Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 24 July 2024 15:31

According to Jackson, they did not. The players were not consulted about the hire. Honestly, they shouldn't be, so that's the right call.

Jackson and Bowman did a really good job at this press conference. They were really well prepared to speak to the issues, and both addressed ahead of even asking for questions. Huge difference from Holland's off-the-cuff interviews with no preparation (the Ethan Bear online racism & abuse one stands out as the most glaring but even the Keith one and most of the trade deadline ones were train wrecks).

Still seems like unnecessarily putting a lot of negative attention on the organization for a guy who I'm just not sure is head and shoulders better than any of the other candidates out there. Feels like the organization is still dazzled by shiny things and Stan's got three rings.

Fun fact, the only Oilers GM (not counting interim GMs Gretzky and Jackson) to not have his name on the Stanley Cup prior to his hire is Glen Sather. So I think they all know a thing or two about winning.

Re: Bowman the new GM... [message #837457 is a reply to message #837455 ]
Wed, 24 July 2024 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 24 July 2024 12:31

..Still seems like unnecessarily putting a lot of negative attention on the organization for a guy who I'm just not sure is head and shoulders better than any of the other candidates out there..

🎯💯

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Bowman the new GM... [message #837459 is a reply to message #837455 ]
Wed, 24 July 2024 15:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rutuu  is currently offline Rutuu

No Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 24 July 2024 13:31

Looking the other way is our super power. Might as well flex it. Agree with the average GM comments though. Feels a lot like the Holland hire.

Re: Bowman the new GM... [message #837443 is a reply to message #837441 ]
Wed, 24 July 2024 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
philly boy  is currently offline philly boy

No Cups

lead investigator in that ordeal stated Bowman's failure to report the ["alleged"] assault eventually led to the perpetrator committing further acts of sexual abuse, meaning more victims

meanwhile, some Oiler fans are like, "sidestepping that..."

GIGO

Re: Bowman the new GM... [message #837444 is a reply to message #837429 ]
Wed, 24 July 2024 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve  is currently offline Steve

No Cups

This crap won’t stop until they get a new owner.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."

- Calvin

Re: Bowman the new GM... [message #837445 is a reply to message #837429 ]
Wed, 24 July 2024 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

We have been embarrassed many a time in this century as Oilers fans. 4 first overall picks, a 12 year run without playoffs, the Lowe-MacT press conference, hiring like 12 coaches in 10 years, hiring dud after dud GM.

Today is unequivocally the most embarrassed I have felt cheering for this team

Clean house or bust

Re: Bowman the new GM... [message #837448 is a reply to message #837429 ]
Wed, 24 July 2024 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I was going to watch the presser on Oilers plus, but the org must still be debating if they want to put a copy of it permanently online for people to watch again. Hour after and still no archived version available.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Bowman the new GM... [message #837454 is a reply to message #837429 ]
Wed, 24 July 2024 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Just watched the presser.

I hope Kyle Beach is ok today. I wouldn’t want to relive all this and have my name out there again.

I think the only way I might have felt comfortable with this is if Kyle attended the conference or released his own statement in some capacity, at his own wishes. Otherwise it just feels disgusting.

Clean house or bust

Re: Bowman the new GM... [message #837458 is a reply to message #837429 ]
Wed, 24 July 2024 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Also need to add.. just remembered the timeline.. Dale Tallon built the Chicago dynasty.. then pushed out and replaced by then "Special Assistant to the GM" Stan Bowman in 2009.. .. influenced no doubt by the sweet whispers to the owners of then "Senior Advisor to Hockey Operations" Scotty Bowman ... who had joined in 2008 to be with Stan .. Scotty was there in Chicago for 14 years.. only leaving after Stan got fired.

Chicago won the cup in 2010.. the next season after Tallon's firing.. it was really his team.

So.. appears that Stan was likely a nepotism hire .. and he had dad to consult with the entire time he was there in Chicago.. so who was really doing the GM'ing there?

plus .. traded Panarin for Saad. ??

[Updated on: Wed, 24 July 2024 14:51]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Bowman the new GM... [message #837460 is a reply to message #837458 ]
Wed, 24 July 2024 15:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 24 July 2024 14:47

Also need to add.. just remembered the timeline.. Dale Tallon built the Chicago dynasty.. then pushed out and replaced by then "Special Assistant to the GM" Stan Bowman in 2009.. .. influenced no doubt by the sweet whispers to the owners of then "Senior Advisor to Hockey Operations" Scotty Bowman ... who had joined in 2008 to be with Stan .. Scotty was there in Chicago for 14 years.. only leaving after Stan got fired.

Chicago won the cup in 2010.. the next season after Tallon's firing.. it was really his team.

So.. appears that Stan was likely a nepotism hire .. and he had dad to consult with the entire time he was there in Chicago.. so who was really doing the GM'ing there?

Tallon was fired for pretty good reason. He did the unbelievable and missed the deadline for qualifying offers which lead to a bunch of overpays and eventual lost talent. For sure though, Bowman is another "right place at the right time" success story that the Oilers seem to always believe is a predictor of future success. Most of our org since Katz took over has been riding on hopes of past success of lucky guys that happened to be on the right team at the right time, or had the best salesmanship to land on top roles with Hockey Canada.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Bowman the new GM... [message #837471 is a reply to message #837460 ]
Wed, 24 July 2024 18:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 24 July 2024 14:37

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 24 July 2024 14:47

Tallon was fired for pretty good reason. He did the unbelievable and missed the deadline for qualifying offers which lead to a bunch of overpays and eventual lost talent. For sure though, Bowman is another "right place at the right time" success story that the Oilers seem to always believe is a predictor of future success. Most of our org since Katz took over has been riding on hopes of past success of lucky guys that happened to be on the right team at the right time, or had the best salesmanship to land on top roles with Hockey Canada.

As I recall that was just an excuse they used to get rid of Tallon and install the GM .. here's a good article that detaile dteh firing when it happened by Scott Burnside at ESPN..
https://www.espn.com/nhl/columns/story?columnist=burnside_sc ott&id=4326789

.. it appears the existing team president, John McDonough wanted him gone.. there had been friction between McDonough and Tallon for a while.. probably because McDonough had no hockey background (his last gig was with the Chicago Cubs).. and Tallon didn't give him the respect he thought the POH deserved.. so McDonough brings in Scotty Bowman for Tallon's last season to serve as "Senior Advisor to Hockey Operations" .. I'm sure offering McDonough differing opinions to that of Tallon's ..which provided some ammo for dismissal .. so during the summer.. after Tallon signs Hossa as a UFA.. McDonough fires Tallon (for some late QO's) .. something he wanted to do all along.. and Stan gets promoted to GM..

Apparently the RFA qualifying offers were usually sent by mail by the club without issues before.. this time they were received late and the NHLPA grieved it.. presto.. See ya later Dale!

I remember the whole incident stinking of nepotism..

Anyway we got him now.. faint

[Updated on: Wed, 24 July 2024 18:58]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Bowman the new GM... [message #837472 is a reply to message #837460 ]
Wed, 24 July 2024 18:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

Look, everyone. After how close the team got this past season, I just don’t care anymore HOW the team tools itself to try to win a Cup for McDrai. If it means a deal with the “devil”, then so be it. Getting to within a game of bringing Stanley home has just instilled a sense of desperation in me to see Connor and Leon get at least one before they leave.

People can talk about Bowman being overrated, but he helped build a team that won 3 Cups with a duo of forwards who are not as good as McDrai. He is a GM who knows how to work within the cap era which automatically makes him an upgrade over Holland. Let’s see what he does before we pull out the tar, feathers, and pitchforks, ok?

[Updated on: Wed, 24 July 2024 18:50]

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Bowman the new GM... [message #837475 is a reply to message #837472 ]
Wed, 24 July 2024 19:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Ragnarok73 wrote on Wed, 24 July 2024 18:49

Look, everyone. After how close the team got this past season, I just don’t care anymore HOW the team tools itself to try to win a Cup for McDrai. If it means a deal with the “devil”, then so be it. Getting to within a game of bringing Stanley home has just instilled a sense of desperation in me to see Connor and Leon get at least one before they leave.

People can talk about Bowman being overrated, but he helped build a team that won 3 Cups with a duo of forwards who are not as good as McDrai. He is a GM who knows how to work within the cap era which automatically makes him an upgrade over Holland. Let’s see what he does before we pull out the tar, feathers, and pitchforks, ok?

So true! And who better than Bowman to keep any noise or distractions away from the team during its Cup window. That way they can only focus on hockey, not any sort of drama in the media or training room!

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Bowman the new GM... [message #837461 is a reply to message #837429 ]
Wed, 24 July 2024 15:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

McDavid Era going full circle

https://i.postimg.cc/nLSxdsw-L/ChiaStan.jpg

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Bowman the new GM... [message #837473 is a reply to message #837461 ]
Wed, 24 July 2024 18:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 24 July 2024 14:51

McDavid Era going full circle

https://i.postimg.cc/nLSxdsw-L/ChiaStan.jpg

Yeah that creaks of Chiarelli .. (( shiver ))

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Bowman the new GM... [message #837462 is a reply to message #837429 ]
Wed, 24 July 2024 15:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

I think the Oilers are about to find out the limits of some of their fanbase. I think this is going to hurt revenue in some form.

Clean house or bust

Re: Bowman the new GM... [message #837463 is a reply to message #837462 ]
Wed, 24 July 2024 16:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Wed, 24 July 2024 15:52

I think the Oilers are about to find out the limits of some of their fanbase. I think this is going to hurt revenue in some form.

Like everything else we do, the team better win now. If they don't, these mistakes get really, really magnified. Bowman (and Jackson) needs to find a way to get extensions with Draisaitl and Bouchard pronto.

#FireBobbyNicks

Re: Bowman the new GM... [message #837464 is a reply to message #837463 ]
Wed, 24 July 2024 16:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 24 July 2024 16:01

Like everything else we do, the team better win now. If they don't, these mistakes get really, really magnified. Bowman (and Jackson) needs to find a way to get extensions with Draisaitl and Bouchard pronto.

Nothing will be financially impacted until something bad happens to 29 or 97. The organization has proven to be Teflon for decades. Unless someone bolts I can’t see attendance, jersey sales or team support drastically changing.

An unfortunate reality in pro sports. This is nothing more than a talking point. I am not sure what my breaking point is for mismanagement m, but I’m not even remotely close to wavering yet.

Re: Bowman the new GM... [message #837465 is a reply to message #837464 ]
Wed, 24 July 2024 17:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Wed, 24 July 2024 16:14

Nothing will be financially impacted until something bad happens to 29 or 97. The organization has proven to be Teflon for decades. Unless someone bolts I can’t see attendance, jersey sales or team support drastically changing.

An unfortunate reality in pro sports. This is nothing more than a talking point. I am not sure what my breaking point is for mismanagement m, but I’m not even remotely close to wavering yet.

The wheels on the Oilers bus were getting really shaky before the McDavid lottery win. They weren't close to selling out, ratings we down, and we were close to a fan revolt. Remember the Low Must Go billboard era? 2015 bought this team at least a decade of happy times.

Re: Bowman the new GM... [message #837470 is a reply to message #837465 ]
Wed, 24 July 2024 18:37 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Rutuu  is currently offline Rutuu

No Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 24 July 2024 17:03

inverno76 wrote on Wed, 24 July 2024 16:14

The wheels on the Oilers bus were getting really shaky before the McDavid lottery win. They weren't close to selling out, ratings we down, and we were close to a fan revolt. Remember the Low Must Go billboard era? 2015 bought this team at least a decade of happy times.

I thought real change was going to happen. The lottery balls proved there is no such thing as Karma though and papered over our cracks, for clearly the gain of all the wrong people.

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Vancouver trades Podkolzin to Oilers
Next Topic:Summer Tasks
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca