F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » McLeod, Tullio for Matthew Savoie
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 McLeod, Tullio for Matthew Savoie [message #837381]
Fri, 05 July 2024 14:35 Go to next message
Daftmonk  is currently offline Daftmonk

No Cups

https://twitter.com/EdmontonOilers/status/180932423775855826 7?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

$2.1M off the cap, potential for Savoie to make it as the 4th line centre.

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we." — Bush, Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004

Send a private message to this user  

Re: McLeod, Tullio for Matthew Savoie [message #837382 is a reply to message #837381 ]
Fri, 05 July 2024 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

No Cups

That's a pretty stellar return, as the Athletic had Savoie rated really high this year in their prospect rankings.

Re: McLeod, Tullio for Matthew Savoie [message #837383 is a reply to message #837381 ]
Fri, 05 July 2024 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Small but lit up the Dub. Here’s hoping.

This feels surreal. What’s the catch? We were cap strung and got the better player and saved money.

[Updated on: Fri, 05 July 2024 16:30]

Re: McLeod, Tullio for Matthew Savoie [message #837385 is a reply to message #837381 ]
Fri, 05 July 2024 17:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hibernia  is currently offline Hibernia

No Cups

Savoie will probably play with his brother in Bakersfield.

I wonder if Macleod asked for a trade back East. With his brother's issues, he might want to be close to the folks and family. Can't be easy on them.

What happened to all of my messages? lol (I guess it's been awhile) Twitter: @AitchOil

Re: McLeod, Tullio for Matthew Savoie [message #837386 is a reply to message #837381 ]
Fri, 05 July 2024 17:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Good luck to McLeod. Think he will add a little grit to his game as he matures, but we are pretty full at forward now, with no cap space to fix the D.

Buffalo is desperate to just make the playoffs, period. Can see why they would do this. Hope we pulled off a little robbery here with Savoie to take advantage of their need for more useful experienced NHL players.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: McLeod, Tullio for Matthew Savoie [message #837387 is a reply to message #837381 ]
Fri, 05 July 2024 21:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

Could be used as a bargaining chip in a package at deadline.

Our D needs some upgrades now.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: McLeod, Tullio for Matthew Savoie [message #837388 is a reply to message #837387 ]
Sat, 06 July 2024 00:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

g2k wrote on Fri, 05 July 2024 21:15

Our D needs some upgrades now.

Regarded as a top 10 NHL prospect in the league. Should be a very valuable trade piece or a long term fit on the team. Gives them plenty of options.

Re: McLeod, Tullio for Matthew Savoie [message #837390 is a reply to message #837387 ]
Sat, 06 July 2024 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hibernia  is currently offline Hibernia

No Cups

g2k wrote on Sat, 06 July 2024 00:45

Maybe the next Martin Erat will be available. confused2

What happened to all of my messages? lol (I guess it's been awhile) Twitter: @AitchOil

Re: McLeod, Tullio for Matthew Savoie [message #837391 is a reply to message #837381 ]
Sat, 06 July 2024 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

4 Cups

Here's some WHL highlights of Savoie.. high compete level, speedy, shifty, stick handler, play maker.. SNIPE. icon_nod
... Braden Point 2.0 ? :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvApVQBKNB4

Few players on the Oilers drove me more nuts than Mcleod.. you could see the talent.. elite NHL speed and skating.. but he absolutely refused to engage.. on the forecheck, cycle, going to the net.. he had a phycological aversion to it.. his fly-bye forechecks were the most frustrating though.. I think management finally tired of waiting for Mcleod to "mature" into the player he might become .. they couldn't wait.. the MCDavid-Leon clock is ticking.. tick-tock .. tick-tock ..

The way the line up is right now.. with the return of Henrique.. McLeod was looking at 4th line C.. or a move up to 3rd line winger (if injuries) .. plus his PK time which was good (although he seemed to manage blocking very few shots)..

Oilers lose who I regard was the 2nd best puck carrier for zone entries.. but after he achieved the zone.. that was it.. computer went into sleep mode.. essentially a public skate.

M. Savoie looks like he has NHL speed, agility, shot, and puck IQ .. and also draft +2 .. 20 years old .. and looks relatively close to playing in the NHL.. he's not a wait a couple years to develop prospect..

A decent (potential) return for McLeod and $2.1M off the cap that might be the precursor for another move ? ... address the RHD position.. ? icon_nod

I like McLeod and hope he eventually fulfills his huge potential as an NHL'er wave

[Updated on: Sat, 06 July 2024 14:14]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: McLeod, Tullio for Matthew Savoie [message #837392 is a reply to message #837381 ]
Sat, 06 July 2024 14:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

I wonder if C. Savoie (age 22) signs a lower than QO deal in Bakersfield to play with Matt? .. or is the Oilers decision to not extend a QO purely based on his perceived potential ?

Both same size.. 5'-9" .. Carter is 192lbs, Matt 180lbs (HdB)

[Updated on: Sat, 06 July 2024 14:21]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: McLeod, Tullio for Matthew Savoie [message #837393 is a reply to message #837381 ]
Sat, 06 July 2024 14:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Looking at those highlights.. with his RH shot.. agility, speed, stick handling, and snipe ability.. could Savoie be an eventual upgrade to RNH on the PP?

A potential LH and RH Sniper on both sides of the PP? .. no more PK's cheating to Leon's side..

.. obviously he needs to first make it to the NHL.. but hey a guy can dream ! icon_nod

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: McLeod, Tullio for Matthew Savoie [message #837396 is a reply to message #837381 ]
Mon, 08 July 2024 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

1 Cup

I am struggling to come up with a stance if I like this deal or not.

Pros:
- Savoie is a very good prospect
- He is younger than McLeod and cost controlled on ELC
- Cap savings
- The return for Ryan McLeod is very good. Jackson got great value for his asset.
- Higher long term ceiling than McLeod for the Oilers. Could help keep the team competitive on the next 97/29 contracts.

Cons:
- For a team that needs to win now, McLeod is a really useful cheap player right now. Savoie is unlikely to make an impact in the immediate term.
- An already old opening night roster just lost a 24 year old.
- Is anybody else in the bottom 6 close to McLeod analytically? High zone exit rate, xGF% was consistently strong. Played a part in the amazing playoff PK. I know he was seen as a perimeter player but he did a lot well that went unnoticed.

The value on the deal is really good but we need to win a division, and then a cup now. When you look at McLeod’s actual production it looks like a fantastic deal but I really don’t know.

[Updated on: Mon, 08 July 2024 13:47]

Clean house or bust

Re: McLeod, Tullio for Matthew Savoie [message #837398 is a reply to message #837396 ]
Mon, 08 July 2024 14:32 Go to previous message
oilfan94  is currently offline oilfan94

No Cups

smyth260 wrote on Mon, 08 July 2024 15:45

I am struggling to come up with a stance if I like this deal or not.

Pros:
- Savoie is a very good prospect
- He is younger than McLeod and cost controlled on ELC
- Cap savings
- The return for Ryan McLeod is very good. Jackson got great value for his asset.
- Higher long term ceiling than McLeod for the Oilers. Could help keep the team competitive on the next 97/29 contracts.

Cons:
- For a team that needs to win now, McLeod is a really useful cheap player right now. Savoie is unlikely to make an impact in the immediate term.
- An already old opening night roster just lost a 24 year old.
- Is anybody else in the bottom 6 close to McLeod analytically? High zone exit rate, xGF% was consistently strong. Played a part in the amazing playoff PK. I know he was seen as a perimeter player but he did a lot well that went unnoticed.

The value on the deal is really good but we need to win a division, and then a cup now. When you look at McLeod’s actual production it looks like a fantastic deal but I really don’t know.

That is a pretty good assessment of pros and cons. McLeod is an NHL player that plays an excellent defensive game, and can move up to the 2nd line as needed. He is a valuable asset, and Buffalo certainly agrees. For the Oilers, I think that they just needed to dump some salary and this was the best way they could do it. In the long term (or even medium term) they might win this trade, but right now Buffalo is the one getting the best player.

So there is a downside here, but considering the Oilers needed to shed salary, this is an excellent trade. If they were under the cap right now I would say it is an ok trade, but I would be confused by it. Here is hoping that Savoie works out and becomes a guy that fills into the top 6 once these short term contracts we just signed with guys expire, and helps keep our cup window open longer.

Previous Topic:Lavoie re-signed to 2 year, two-way deal
Next Topic:Oilers sign Josh Brown $1M 3 yrs
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca