(Holloway) - McLeod - Perry
Kane (LTIR???), Ryan

Ekholm - Bouchard
Nurse - (Broberg)
Kulak - Ceci
Brown, Stecher

S. Skinner
Pickard

Cap Hit as of July 1st at midnight: 90.454M (2.454M over 88M Salary Cap)

I believe they are trending towards a Kane LTIR or trade to get the RFAs signed.

[Updated on: Tue, 02 July 2024 00:58]

Clean house or bust

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Recap of Free Agency [message #837339 is a reply to message #837338 ]
Tue, 02 July 2024 00:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

1 Cup

Some thoughts:

It’s a little concerning how old this team is. Just 6 players under 30.

But definitely the best forwards on paper I’ve seen. Finishing was a problem last year and it would be surprising if that was the case this year.

That defense has to get better by deadline. It is still very vulnerable. Could get ugly as soon as an injury happens. And I would have rather seen a higher ceiling back up.

That said, a lot better free agency than any Holland year.

Clean house or bust

Re: Recap of Free Agency [message #837340 is a reply to message #837339 ]
Tue, 02 July 2024 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gator21  is currently offline Gator21

No Cups

RNH-McD-Hyman
Skinner-Draisaitl-Kane
Holloway-Henrique-Ardvisson
Janmark-McLeod-Brown

*Perry, Ryan

Absolutely stacked fwd group

Re: Recap of Free Agency [message #837343 is a reply to message #837339 ]
Tue, 02 July 2024 06:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilfan94  is currently offline oilfan94

No Cups

I understand the concern about the age of some of the players, but on 1-2 year contracts I don't think it will be an issue. Two years from now a lot of this group will look very different and we can worry about that then. For now though, this is the kind of depth teams normally hope to have after the trade deadline.

Re: Recap of Free Agency [message #837342 is a reply to message #837338 ]
Tue, 02 July 2024 05:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hibernia  is currently offline Hibernia

No Cups

What a crazy day. Does JJ know he's working for the Oilers? We're not supposed to do stuff like this. lol

My only concern out of all of this is that the team is old by NHL standards. Luckily, none of the contracts are going to take a fragile player into the sunset years of their contract (I'm looking at you, Chris Tanev)

I've only seen one person who is mad about these contracts and that guy is mad about everything. (No, not Dennis)

I feel like this is a group that knows they have unfinished business. Could be another fun year coming up. Better get your rest in now.

What happened to all of my messages? lol (I guess it's been awhile) Twitter: @AitchOil

Re: Recap of Free Agency [message #837345 is a reply to message #837342 ]
Tue, 02 July 2024 07:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Hibernia wrote on Tue, 02 July 2024 05:56

I've only seen one person who is mad about these contracts and that guy is mad about everything. (No, not Dennis)

It’s RD, isn’t it? It’s gotta be RD.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Recap of Free Agency [message #837346 is a reply to message #837345 ]
Tue, 02 July 2024 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hibernia  is currently offline Hibernia

No Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 02 July 2024 11:26

It’s RD, isn’t it? It’s gotta be RD.

lmao Maybe. I don't know what his/her twitter handle is. Though in fairness, from my limited views of RD, I thought RD was just a GM-apologist who felt if you also weren't a GM-apologist then you were absolutely out to lunch on everything. Kinda like a MSM member.

What happened to all of my messages? lol (I guess it's been awhile) Twitter: @AitchOil

Re: Recap of Free Agency [message #837347 is a reply to message #837342 ]
Tue, 02 July 2024 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

What a crazy day. Does JJ know he's working for the Oilers? We're not supposed to do stuff like this. lol

My only concern out of all of this is that the team is old by NHL standards. Luckily, none of the contracts are going to take a fragile player into the sunset years of their contract (I'm looking at you, Chris Tanev)

I feel like this is a group that knows they have unfinished business. Could be another fun year coming up. Better get your rest in now.

It was a pretty impressive showing from a guy who doesn't want to be the GM. It almost looked like there was a plan - which would be a welcome change.

The age thing is a bit concerning, but also nothing new. Holland loooooves the old guys and the Oilers were the oldest team in the league last year - it's kind of weird, given that we were forever building around 18-year olds what seems like just 15 minutes ago.

My biggest concern is if the Stan Bowman rumours are true. I believe that they likely are, and that the Oilers sent up the trial balloon intentionally through the rumour mill yesterday in order to get a pulse on how much backlash there will be if they move forward there. There definitely is some backlash, but it hasn't been a deafening roar yet, so there's a good chance it happens. For anyone who can't remember what he did, Bowman & staff learned that one of their black aces was being molested by an assistant coach, and decided to not deal with it because they were on a playoff run. Then that summer they quietly parted ways with the assistant and gave him a reference which led to him working with minors - at least one of whom he sexually assaulted. Even if you somehow could rationalize a way to excuse their actions relative to Kris Beach, the Blackhawks execs have a direct line of culpability in the assault on a minor. I don't think it's fair to say they did anything criminal, but it's still pretty abhorrent behaviour and so I'm sure there's better options to be our GM.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireBobbyNicks

Re: Recap of Free Agency [message #837348 is a reply to message #837347 ]
Tue, 02 July 2024 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Pretty impressive day. Feels very different than any other UFA day I remember. Like others have said, feels weird to be an "old team". I was shocked when I heard that this year. Even more pronounced now. Oh well - not like they're 50. And the top guys are still right in their prime, so I'm not too bothered by it.

That forward group looks positively deadly. Goaltending - would have preferred a 1B type, but Skinner has shown he can be good at times, so might be enough. My biggest concern with the roster at the moment though is still what it was all year - D. Ekholm and Bouchard are awesome. Broberg is a player and shouldn't cost a fortune, but 99% certain it'll just be a bridge deal. No way his agent lets him sign long term. That leaves the rest:

Nurse - I see no way out of that contract, so we just need to hope and pray he gets back to being at least OK. Maybe we magically find someone to play with him and he finds his form again. One can only hope.

Kulak - I don't hate the player. Is $2.75m too much for him? I don't think he hurts us too much, but I wonder if that money could get someone better?

Ceci - well he has to go.

As for cap overrage: I'll go Google it - but in the meantime, what are the penalties for being over the cap?

Re: Recap of Free Agency [message #837349 is a reply to message #837348 ]
Tue, 02 July 2024 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

1 Cup

I am guessing a cap overage is not in the plans.

What I think will happen is they will send 3 guys down before the season starts to get below cap, have a small roster on opening night, put Kane on LTIR, and then call those guys back up.

[Updated on: Tue, 02 July 2024 09:09]

Clean house or bust

Re: Recap of Free Agency [message #837353 is a reply to message #837349 ]
Tue, 02 July 2024 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

smyth260 wrote on Tue, 02 July 2024 12:06

I am guessing a cap overage is not in the plans.

Oh I know that. I was just curious what the penalties were.

Re: Recap of Free Agency [message #837350 is a reply to message #837348 ]
Tue, 02 July 2024 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Tue, 02 July 2024 08:56

As for cap overrage: I'll go Google it - but in the meantime, what are the penalties for being over the cap?

You can go over in the summer, but you have to always be compliant in the regular season, even if it means they need to reduce the roster size to make it work. You might remember the Flames and a couple other teams having some games with 17-18 man rosters for the last couple of the season a few years back.

There's a few things that can be done to get us compliant - some of those contracts can be sent to the minors where most or all of their cap isn't applicable. We can LTIR someone - almost certainly Kane if he is still here and has off-season surgery. And of course trades - so hopefully someone sees the value in Ceci and needs him on their roster. I already miss Arizona.

Also I believe there's a second buy-out window late this year. Again, far from ideal if we go that route, but it is an option.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireBobbyNicks

Re: Recap of Free Agency [message #837352 is a reply to message #837350 ]
Tue, 02 July 2024 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

Maybe the plan is to only take 9 forwards into next season?

Re: Recap of Free Agency [message #837360 is a reply to message #837347 ]
Tue, 02 July 2024 14:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rutuu  is currently offline Rutuu

No Cups

Looking past this is our super power. I'll watch less Oiler games myself, but I feel like I'm in the minority.

Extensions coming out today for a few other teams. Also I'm curious if there is a Laine deal out there for us. Could cost us Broberg, but we might be able to get out from under Ceci at the same time. Too bad Brannstrom was already signed by Col.

Re: Recap of Free Agency [message #837367 is a reply to message #837360 ]
Tue, 02 July 2024 18:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

These deals are interesting, but there still haven’t been any big enough moves to address the team’s blue-line group which I find concerning. Hopefully it will be addressed by or before preseason starts. At the least, Ceci should be replaced with someone more solid…

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Recap of Free Agency [message #837355 is a reply to message #837338 ]
Tue, 02 July 2024 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

What overshadowed for me in the acquiring of awesomeness that JJ did is Stan Bowman. I am not sure how I will react to the news that he may be the next Oilers GM. Apathy most likely but that isn't being fair for what the organization chose to do in light of some very serious and now proven true allegations.

Love pieces to the puzzle for sure where you look on paper the team is a STACKED. Our defence behind Ekholm and Bouchard is suspect. You can't rely on Nurse being a top performer,;he's great when he's on but when he's not (and most of the time) he is just average.

Age is a thing but the win now window is closing, all hands on deck to do what it takes. We needed better 5x5 scoring and I think we added 2 significant pieces there.

Defence is still a concern, so I'm hoping for an upgrade there, although the cap sitch isn't all that great ATM.

If Bowman gets hired... I'm not sure how my fandom will be affected.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Recap of Free Agency [message #837356 is a reply to message #837355 ]
Tue, 02 July 2024 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lowebudget  is currently offline lowebudget

No Cups

I can see Henrique, Arvidsson, Jeff Skinner, Connor Brown and Janmark all out-playing their contract value. Stecher is great value for under 800K. Pickard at 1M. I don't even mind the Perry contract so much. Josh Brown is maybe the only iffy one for me...mainly for term.
Overall, an A++

Re: Recap of Free Agency [message #837368 is a reply to message #837355 ]
Tue, 02 July 2024 18:11 Go to previous message

1 Cup

Rocksteady wrote on Tue, 02 July 2024 15:21

If Bowman gets hired... I'm not sure how my fandom will be affected.

This would be a disgusting hire. I will be very disappointed if they go this route. And I don’t even care about his GM skills (which I don’t think are all that good)

I really hope they find another guy (JJ looks pretty good ATM)

Re: Recap of Free Agency [message #837359 is a reply to message #837338 ]
Tue, 02 July 2024 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Getting some value deals is really nice to see.

Do need a GM to make some trades now. D needs some fixing, need to clear up some cap space to do it.

Jackson has done well twice now, coach pick and deadline negotiations. All eyes on the GM pick now to put the finishing touches on this lineup.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Previous Topic:Oilers ‘24-‘25 schedule released
Next Topic:Janitor RETURNS to clean up
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca