This day on June 30
Acquired: Jim Vandermeer (2010)
Departed: Jussi Markkanen (2003) Ethan Moreau (2010) Robert Nilsson (2010) Patrick O'Sullivan (2010)

Happy Birthday To: Sparky, Brock Longhorn, serra01, motorheadache, jpoilfan, flip314, Micky70, nae17

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Draisaitl Watch
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Draisaitl Watch [message #837106]
Wed, 26 June 2024 14:10 Go to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Quote:

Daniel Nugent-Bowman
@DNBsports

Leon Draisaitl on his contract situation (he’s eligible to sign an extension this summer):

“It’s going to take to time to figure out what I want and what the Oilers want.”

He adds: “I love being an Oiler more than anything.”

Does that translate to "Who is the GM?" That's how I read it. If it's Holland coming back for another hurrah, we may be in trouble. If he's off in to the sunset and Jackson pulls an ace then we have a chance.

I just pray it isn't another old hockey player looking for a payday...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Draisaitl Watch [message #837107 is a reply to message #837106 ]
Wed, 26 June 2024 14:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 26 June 2024 14:10

Quote:

Daniel Nugent-Bowman
@DNBsports

Leon Draisaitl on his contract situation (he’s eligible to sign an extension this summer):

“It’s going to take to time to figure out what I want and what the Oilers want.”

Does that translate to "Who is the GM?" That's how I read it. If it's Holland coming back for another hurrah, we may be in trouble. If he's off in to the sunset and Jackson pulls an ace then we have a chance.

GM matters for sure. Holland had better be gone. But I wonder if hockey players actually think that way. If I had to bet, I would bet most of the players actually trusted and respected Holland the whole way through. Not sure they think that deeply about all the fine details of the GM work. Got plenty to think about just keeping their own game, health and finances in check and keeping in tune with the coaches and teammates.

It is good that we have Jackson in the position he is now. Not sure I could imagine a better guy trying to get a buyin from McDavid and Drai. It's probably the exact reason he was hired by Katz! Knob was just a bonus so far, lol.

Optimistic on how this will all go. I think Drai has hinted enough lately to put it quite a bit past the 50% line.

[Updated on: Wed, 26 June 2024 14:23]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Draisaitl Watch [message #837109 is a reply to message #837107 ]
Wed, 26 June 2024 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Drai will sign. I get it's a business so he doesn't want to show his hand totally but if you are thinking about leaving, you don't gush about loving the team and city and end what you say with how much you love being an Oiler most of all. Then you don't have your best friend sitting beside you gushing about him.

You let McD know before hand what you are planning (I am sure he already knows) so then McD can go into robot mode say he's a great player and how he likes playing with great players then emphasize about the process and it a business and he has earned the right to look at the market, etc, etc.

Plus I thought this when he took the job. Jackson is a super smart guy. He was McD's agent. McD and Leon are tight so he would have talked to Leon and Leon's agent many many times before he was Oilers brass. He knows their mind and what Leon wants. He knows exactly what McD wants. I believe there is no chance in hell Jackson leaves his job, his clients and a very well paying business if Leon and McD were leaving.

Re: Draisaitl Watch [message #837110 is a reply to message #837107 ]
Wed, 26 June 2024 14:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 26 June 2024 14:19

Adam wrote on Wed, 26 June 2024 14:10

Quote:

Daniel Nugent-Bowman
@DNBsports

GM matters for sure. Holland had better be gone. But I wonder if hockey players actually think that way. If I had to bet, I would bet most of the players actually trusted and respected Holland the whole way through. Not sure they think that deeply about all the fine details of the GM work. Got plenty to think about just keeping their own game, health and finances in check and keeping in tune with the coaches and teammates.

It is good that we have Jackson in the position he is now. Not sure I could imagine a better guy trying to get a buyin from McDavid and Drai. It's probably the exact reason he was hired by Katz! Knob was just a bonus so far, lol.

Optimistic on how this will all go. I think Drai has hinted enough lately to put it quite a bit past the 50% line.

I don't know...maybe you trust the old hockey guy for a little bit thinking, hey, this guy won a Cup with Datsyuk (who I believe was Leon's favourite player), but after a few years of blundering around and seeing what other teams are doing to get every ounce they can get out of every cap dollar, you have to think that your guy is maybe just not doing enough.

When that GM also leaks to the media that you influenced his decision not to make moves too? I think even the loyalest soldier has to start wondering if the boss isn't quite the best.

I do like the full quote, as provided here by Jason Gregor:

Quote:

Jason Gregor
@JasonGregor
“I will give you the most boring answer. I will sit down and talk to my agent, talk to the Oilers and find out what they want. I love playing in Edmonton. I am well aware of what is going on, but I haven’t spent much time thinking about what I want to do,” Draisaitl on contract extension.

It's pretty non-committal either way, but it's a whole lot better than where we were with Pronger about this time in 2006...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Draisaitl Watch [message #837111 is a reply to message #837106 ]
Wed, 26 June 2024 14:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rutuu  is currently offline Rutuu

No Cups

The press conference was extremely cringey, but what else is to be expected from our media guys. They're definitely not helping the situation.

Anyway...its all about timing, not words. If July 1 comes and there's no extension for a week, you start to worry. If we get to camp and there is no extension that's even worse. As that's when the old chestnut of "Talk to my agent", or "My agent handles those questions", turns into "We want to concentrate on the season at hand, and will not be talking contract".

Everyone wants Leon at $13m - $15m. The tax advantage in Alberta is ahead of NY / California, but likely even with a lot of middle America, and behind Florida / Texas. There are some good situations to sign on to and be a 1C.

Geography is interesting as home would favor Edmonton (over the pole) or the East Coast (gf is from Ontario, but is an actress, so that means LA, Van, Toronto or NYC).

Weather...I think this one is overplayed.

The extra year...it's a lot of money for the extra year, so that is in our favor. LD is a big body, and those haven't aged as well, we could be the only team willing to go that deep with a 37yr old Leon.

I'm sure CM97 and LD have talked lots on this topic. I've always believed we'll get a Connor picture of him in his Leaf jammies at some point, if Leon signs though, Connor will sign.

I guess that heaps more pressure on to this extension. As I don't see Connor staying if Leon is dealt / or not extended.

Re: Draisaitl Watch [message #837113 is a reply to message #837111 ]
Wed, 26 June 2024 15:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kungpaobenji27  is currently offline kungpaobenji27

No Cups

Rutuu wrote on Wed, 26 June 2024 15:54

The press conference was extremely cringey, but what else is to be expected from our media guys. They're definitely not helping the situation.

Anyway...its all about timing, not words. If July 1 comes and there's no extension for a week, you start to worry. If we get to camp and there is no extension that's even worse. As that's when the old chestnut of "Talk to my agent", or "My agent handles those questions", turns into "We want to concentrate on the season at hand, and will not be talking contract".

Everyone wants Leon at $13m - $15m. The tax advantage in Alberta is ahead of NY / California, but likely even with a lot of middle America, and behind Florida / Texas. There are some good situations to sign on to and be a 1C.

Geography is interesting as home would favor Edmonton (over the pole) or the East Coast (gf is from Ontario, but is an actress, so that means LA, Van, Toronto or NYC).

Weather...I think this one is overplayed.

The extra year...it's a lot of money for the extra year, so that is in our favor. LD is a big body, and those haven't aged as well, we could be the only team willing to go that deep with a 37yr old Leon.

I'm sure CM97 and LD have talked lots on this topic. I've always believed we'll get a Connor picture of him in his Leaf jammies at some point, if Leon signs though, Connor will sign.

I guess that heaps more pressure on to this extension. As I don't see Connor staying if Leon is dealt / or not extended.

I definitely see it as a 12-13 mil range to keep Leon as having that 8th year helps :)

Getting paid in USD helps while living in Alberta. As for Florida & Texas? Texas has crazy property taxes as Florida possesses some crazy living expenses with the extreme cost of homeowner's/car insurance along with overly inflated rent/home prices.

I'd be super nervous if there was no signed agreement heading into training camp but believe things should get done by say mid-late July.

As for #97, his soon to be wife is from Edmonton deeply tied to her hometown. Leon resigning = Connor following suit as soon as he can.

Let's hope that cap increases by another 4-5 mil Summer 25 and then another 4 mil at least in Summer 26.

Re: Draisaitl Watch [message #837115 is a reply to message #837113 ]
Wed, 26 June 2024 15:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
benv  is currently offline benv

No Cups

[quote title=kungpaobenji27 wrote on Wed, 26 June 2024 15:20]

As for #97, his soon to be wife is from Edmonton deeply tied to her hometown. Leon resigning = Connor following suit as soon as he can.

Is that true? I thought she was from Toronto

Re: Draisaitl Watch [message #837116 is a reply to message #837115 ]
Wed, 26 June 2024 16:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

[quote title=benv wrote on Wed, 26 June 2024 16:58]
kungpaobenji27 wrote on Wed, 26 June 2024 15:20

My bad you're right...not sure where I got that intel from. Let's hope for the best anyhoo.

Rishaug is indicating Draisaitl convos have begun but RFAs/UFAs are the immediate priority for mgt first (obviously).

Re: Draisaitl Watch [message #837117 is a reply to message #837116 ]
Wed, 26 June 2024 16:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I will repeat myself. Jackson doesn't quit his cushy, high paying agent job with his stable of big name clients, one of whom was the best player on the planet to take a job running the Oilers if in 2 yrs, the 2 superstars are gone. No freaking chance. He's a smart guy. That would be the stupidest career move of all time.

Drai will resign before camp. What I could see is maybe he goes Matthews and signs a short term deal knowing the cap is going to jump up a ton over the next 5 yrs and then for his final deal when he has a few rings on his fingers, he can sign that one last deal.

If he doesn't resign, he will get traded and whatever team that gets him is going to have to gut their depth to not only afford him but to get him. So he will reduce his chances of winning. When you look at Leon, he looks like he is gutted after they lose and probably crying. If he to have the best chance to wants to win a cup, it's in Edmonton.

To win, you need a a few things:
- Goalie. Skinner is young, only in year 2 and has already established himself as a really good goalie and will probably get beter.
- A #1 dman. Bouchard is that guy.
- Good players - McD, Nuge, Hyman.

Re: Draisaitl Watch [message #837122 is a reply to message #837117 ]
Wed, 26 June 2024 17:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 26 June 2024 17:31

I will repeat myself. Jackson doesn't quit his cushy, high paying agent job with his stable of big name clients, one of whom was the best player on the planet to take a job running the Oilers if in 2 yrs, the 2 superstars are gone. No freaking chance. He's a smart guy. That would be the stupidest career move of all time.

Drai will resign before camp. What I could see is maybe he goes Matthews and signs a short term deal knowing the cap is going to jump up a ton over the next 5 yrs and then for his final deal when he has a few rings on his fingers, he can sign that one last deal.

If he doesn't resign, he will get traded and whatever team that gets him is going to have to gut their depth to not only afford him but to get him. So he will reduce his chances of winning. When you look at Leon, he looks like he is gutted after they lose and probably crying. If he to have the best chance to wants to win a cup, it's in Edmonton.

- Goalie. Skinner is young, only in year 2 and has already established himself as a really good goalie and will probably get beter.

Let's hope the Jackson era is similar to the Mike Gillis era in Vancouver....except with actual Cups in tow and even more playoff success! I think the best is yet to come in the near future so let's see.

Re: Draisaitl Watch [message #837125 is a reply to message #837122 ]
Thu, 27 June 2024 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

kungpaobenji27 wrote on Wed, 26 June 2024 17:24

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 26 June 2024 17:31

Let's hope the Jackson era is similar to the Mike Gillis era in Vancouver....except with actual Cups in tow and even more playoff success! I think the best is yet to come in the near future so let's see.

Yes the players want to win but it's a business thing. IF Jackson was McD's agent 6 yrs ago, different story. He was his agent not even a year ago. McD is the best player on the planet, he will probably be the highest paid no matter what team he's on. So he and McD would have been planning what they were doing in a couple of seasons awhile ago. That would have included finding out what his buddy Leon is doing. So they would have a pretty good idea what all is happening.

Re: Draisaitl Watch [message #837123 is a reply to message #837116 ]
Wed, 26 June 2024 17:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

[quote title=kungpaobenji27 wrote on Wed, 26 June 2024 16:20]
benv wrote on Wed, 26 June 2024 16:58

My bad you're right...not sure where I got that intel from. Let's hope for the best anyhoo.

Rishaug is indicating Draisaitl convos have begun but RFAs/UFAs are the immediate priority for mgt first (obviously).

I'd argue that the team cannot make UFA decisions without having a pretty good idea whether they will have Draisaitl and Bouchard, and where those two players will sit on the salary scale. It has a huge impact on whether you sign a free agent for 1 year versus 3-4 years July 1st, because you can't spend all the money you need for those two a year ahead of the date.

It doesn't surprise me at all to know that Rishaug thinks of these things super linearly, and it wouldn't shock me if Holland, Lowe, Nicholson and the rest of those guys approach things similarly. But they shouldn't be, because you can't simply just go in to July thinking about next year's team and cap. Decisions that you make have long-term ramifications. so in the next 3-4 days, they should have things significantly advanced on all fronts - not simply treating the current crop of free agents as the first fire to deal with.

Re: Draisaitl Watch [message #837124 is a reply to message #837123 ]
Wed, 26 June 2024 18:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

[quote title=Adam wrote on Wed, 26 June 2024 17:32]
kungpaobenji27 wrote on Wed, 26 June 2024 16:20

benv wrote on Wed, 26 June 2024 16:58

I'd argue that the team cannot make UFA decisions without having a pretty good idea whether they will have Draisaitl and Bouchard, and where those two players will sit on the salary scale. It has a huge impact on whether you sign a free agent for 1 year versus 3-4 years July 1st, because you can't spend all the money you need for those two a year ahead of the date.

It doesn't surprise me at all to know that Rishaug thinks of these things super linearly, and it wouldn't shock me if Holland, Lowe, Nicholson and the rest of those guys approach things similarly. But they shouldn't be, because you can't simply just go in to July thinking about next year's team and cap. Decisions that you make have long-term ramifications. so in the next 3-4 days, they should have things significantly advanced on all fronts - not simply treating the current crop of free agents as the first fire to deal with.

Fully agree. If Draisatl isn't signing an extension, you run it back one year, and you're planning for the post McDavid era.

Broberg / Holloway gets a 2yr bridge "show me" deal. With Drai that deal is 3yrs.

Foegele and Henrique get 1yr deals.

Without a Drai extension you're dealing Bouchard for a ransom at the end of next years playoffs.

A Drai extension is the only thing that matters. Without one you have to plan for the worst, because worse is getting paralysis and doing nothing.

Re: Draisaitl Watch [message #837146 is a reply to message #837106 ]
Thu, 27 June 2024 15:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Its a small thing, but it sounds like from Jackson's interview they're waiting for after McDavid's wedding to talk contract with Draisaitl. The wedding is July 27th in the Muskokas. It'll also be the new GMs job to handle these discussions.

Realistically that'll give them 6-7weeks before training camp opens.

I'm always of the opinion you want to get these things done before other influences start to murky the waters. Also wouldn't the new GM really want to know if the two of them will resign before taking the gig?

Re: Draisaitl Watch [message #837147 is a reply to message #837146 ]
Thu, 27 June 2024 15:25 Go to previous message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

Rutuu wrote on Thu, 27 June 2024 14:18

Its a small thing, but it sounds like from Jackson's interview they're waiting for after McDavid's wedding to talk contract with Draisaitl. The wedding is July 27th in the Muskokas. It'll also be the new GMs job to handle these discussions.

Realistically that'll give them 6-7weeks before training camp opens.

I'm always of the opinion you want to get these things done before other influences start to murky the waters. Also wouldn't the new GM really want to know if the two of them will resign before taking the gig?

This out of context reminds me of wrestling when WWE sent legit notice to CM Punk that he was fired at his own wedding.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Previous Topic:Holland confirmed gone
Next Topic:STANLEY CUP FINALS - EDM Oilers vs FLA Panthers
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca