This day on June 28
Acquired: Ladislav Benysek (1994) Jason Bonsignore (1994) Mike Watt (1994) Ryan Smyth (1994)

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #7)Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #7) [message #836988]
Mon, 24 June 2024 20:30 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win: 88%
Florida to win: 13%
16 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #7) [message #837004 is a reply to message #836988 ]
Mon, 24 June 2024 20:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

No Cups

Thanks for the great comeback boys.

Poor Kulak will be seeing that goal for the rest of his life.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #7) [message #837007 is a reply to message #837004 ]
Mon, 24 June 2024 20:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

Suomalainen wrote on Mon, 24 June 2024 20:54

Thanks for the great comeback boys.

Poor Kulak will be seeing that goal for the rest of his life.

Meh, Ceci was more at fault, as usual.

I'm also glad that the team got it to this point, something I never expected after Game 3. However, they just didn't have enough left in the tank. Also, credit the Cats for shutting down Drai and Connor to secure their first Cup.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #7) [message #837008 is a reply to message #837004 ]
Mon, 24 June 2024 20:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Man - at least they made the series exciting, but what a no show from all the big boys. Couple of chances at the end, but not enough.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #7) [message #837011 is a reply to message #837008 ]
Mon, 24 June 2024 20:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

I am sad. But that was a hell of a ride. We used up every last ounce of everything.

But it still hurts. TV off. No hockey for a while.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #7) [message #837012 is a reply to message #837008 ]
Mon, 24 June 2024 20:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Ceci and Nurse gotta go. Punt those two and this is a pretty solid team.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #7) [message #837019 is a reply to message #837012 ]
Mon, 24 June 2024 21:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Mike wrote on Mon, 24 June 2024 20:58

Ceci and Nurse gotta go. Punt those two and this is a pretty solid team.

The question is who could replace them? I don't see anyone in FA who looks particularly interesting for this offseason...

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #7) [message #837006 is a reply to message #836988 ]
Mon, 24 June 2024 20:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Yikes. At least made a series of it. We buckled under the pressure of having to close it out though.

Next GM needs to make a better team. We just had 2 players have the craziest offensive playoffs we might see for decades but couldn't close it out.

D depth isn't there. Winger depth isn't there. Maybe Skinner can be the guy.

Fix this team and we are going for presidents trophies and getting way easier paths to finals with home ice.

[Updated on: Mon, 24 June 2024 20:58]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #7) [message #837009 is a reply to message #837006 ]
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

2 Cups

Hurts man. Hurts bad

Hats off to Florida

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #7) [message #837013 is a reply to message #837006 ]
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

1 Cup

DAMMIT! That game should have gone to OT 1-1. Stu CANNOT let that goal in.
Oh well, the better team won on the night. Just sucks that it was such a weak goal. Thus was our season though.
McDavid better win the Con n Smythe, though I suspect they'll give it to Bobo.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #7) [message #837010 is a reply to message #836988 ]
Leia  is currently offline Leia

No Cups

Fair play to the Panthers, they some how found the game that had deserted them for the previous 3 games. The comeback was fantastic, but we have to regroup and go again. The last 3 season's who ever beat the Oilers in the play-off's won the cup, we have to change that next year.

Take me home, country road
to the place where I belong
to Alberta, to see the Oilers
take me home, country road

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #7) [message #837020 is a reply to message #837010 ]
Mon, 24 June 2024 21:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Leia wrote on Mon, 24 June 2024 20:57

Fair play to the Panthers, they some how found the game that had deserted them for the previous 3 games. The comeback was fantastic, but we have to regroup and go again. The last 3 season's who ever beat the Oilers in the play-off's won the cup, we have to change that next year.

Giving them 4 chances to get it right definitely was not ideal. Need a better regular season next year. Need to bury teams when we have the chance in games in playoffs too. Canucks series could have been a sweep if we didn't let up in game 1. We had them on the ropes and gave them confidence to turn that into a 7 game series with loads of annoying injuries that would follow us the rest of the playoffs as our reward.

GM hire is everything now. There are still major issues with this lineup. Legendary playoff performances by a few masked them a long time this year but it wasn't enough. Any properly managed team getting the playoffs McDavid and bouch were giving this year breeze to a cup win with proper wing and d depth.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #7) [message #837021 is a reply to message #837020 ]
Mon, 24 June 2024 21:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 24 June 2024 20:04

Leia wrote on Mon, 24 June 2024 20:57

Giving them 4 chances to get it right definitely was not ideal. Need a better regular season next year. Need to bury teams when we have the chance in games in playoffs too. Canucks series could have been a sweep if we didn't let up in game 1. We had them on the ropes and gave them confidence to turn that into a 7 game series with loads of annoying injuries that would follow us the rest of the playoffs as our reward.

GM hire is everything now. There are still major issues with this lineup. Legendary playoff performances by a few masked them a long time this year but it wasn't enough. Any properly managed team getting the playoffs McDavid and bouch were giving this year breeze to a cup win with proper wing and d depth.

Free agency is days away, they better have GM already signed and ready to go

Unlike 06, we aren’t about to lose our best players

Reload, recoup, let’s win it in ‘25

[Updated on: Mon, 24 June 2024 21:08]

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #7) [message #837014 is a reply to message #836988 ]
Rowan Oil Fielding  is currently offline Rowan Oil Fielding

No Cups

At least I can shave my playoff beard. 😢

https://i.postimg.cc/mZ9GD3V6/php2-CH3-Yf-AM.jpg

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #7) [message #837015 is a reply to message #837014 ]
Mon, 24 June 2024 21:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Rowan Oil Fielding wrote on Mon, 24 June 2024 19:58

Yeah… time to get out the razor soon.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #7) [message #837017 is a reply to message #837014 ]
Mon, 24 June 2024 21:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jay  is currently offline Jay

No Cups

Rowan Oil Fielding wrote on Mon, 24 June 2024 20:58

2006 all over again. Those chances were right there in the 3rd for someone to step up and bury it. Looked like too much pressure.

Hopefully it doesn't take 18 more years to get back.

"Initiative comes to thems that wait"

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #7) [message #837016 is a reply to message #836988 ]
Mon, 24 June 2024 21:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

This hurts man.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #7) [message #837024 is a reply to message #837016 ]
Mon, 24 June 2024 21:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

No Cups

g2k wrote on Mon, 24 June 2024 21:01

This hurts man.

Yeah, it really does.

This team really mirrored my year. October, they were terrible just as I got laid off from my dream job, was super depressed in November and really couldn't watch them be awful as well.
On US Thanksgiving, I was thrown a lifeline by an old boss, but I had to wait till April to start my job, so the winter was long but there was light at the end of the tunnel, and the last couple of months have been great.

Hopefully I don't get sacked tomorrow, again! icon_wink

But as always, thanks to y'all for being here. and to MJ for keeping the lights on for 2+ decades now.

[Updated on: Mon, 24 June 2024 21:12]

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #7) [message #837023 is a reply to message #836988 ]
Mon, 24 June 2024 21:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
philly boy  is currently offline philly boy

No Cups

I wanted it for the fans, for the people of Edmonton, for you guys. Deserve it. I do not like Florida, and frankly it’s a shame they’ve won a Cup because truly, their fans don’t give a damn. Florida is a wasteland.

It’s sad. It’s disappointing. But I think the Oil win a Stanley, at least one, within the next 3 years.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #7) [message #837035 is a reply to message #837023 ]
Mon, 24 June 2024 21:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

No Cups

Thanks, man... it would have been nice. Not meant to be though... :(

Can't imagine what it's like to be in the room with the team right now. I'm guessing a lot of silent staring.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #7) [message #837026 is a reply to message #836988 ]
Mon, 24 June 2024 21:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilfan94  is currently offline oilfan94

No Cups

McDavid wins the Conn Smythe, so at least we have the same number of Conn Smythes as Stanley Cups now.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #7) [message #837028 is a reply to message #836988 ]
Mon, 24 June 2024 21:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Well Oilfans, that was a rough game 7. Oilers just didn't have it, flips and rims, prayer passes as zone exits wasn't enough. Not enough to the net when thr had zone possession, lots of circling and pucks not getting through from the point. Curious strategy to me, get it to the net, something might get through or you clean up the garbage.

One PP the whole game. The standard changed tonight, or something.

One save on that 2nd GA could have been the difference, we don't know. Loading up once again didn't pan in the 3rd. Whatever.

It might as well have been the Flames the Oilers lost to, the way I'm feeling. Its so damn hard to get here, I feel for the fans under 38-40 who haven't seen a victory. Like my kids. They're crushed more than me.

On the other hand, the paper thin silver lining is that the Oilers showed us fans a lot in this season, these playoffs, this series. Hope we can get back again!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #7) [message #837034 is a reply to message #837028 ]
Mon, 24 June 2024 21:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Mon, 24 June 2024 21:12

Well Oilfans, that was a rough game 7. Oilers just didn't have it, flips and rims, prayer passes as zone exits wasn't enough. Not enough to the net when thr had zone possession, lots of circling and pucks not getting through from the point. Curious strategy to me, get it to the net, something might get through or you clean up the garbage.

One save on that 2nd GA could have been the difference, we don't know. Loading up once again didn't pan in the 3rd. Whatever.

It might as well have been the Flames the Oilers lost to, the way I'm feeling. Its so damn hard to get here, I feel for the fans under 38-40 who haven't seen a victory. Like my kids. They're crushed more than me.

On the other hand, the paper thin silver lining is that the Oilers showed us fans a lot in this season, these playoffs, this series. Hope we can get back again!

Kinda of the final insult of Holland's time here. two players he inherited just shattering records, both on for crazy amounts of chances and goal differential. McDavid with at least 1 guy on his wing that is super questionable to get anything done 5v5 all the time while he does it. Just amazing performances driven by those guys all playoffs, that might not be matched for 2 decades+. And leads to an almost unprecedented losing team Conn Smythe for a skater, because our D depth and winger depth was too much to overcome in the end.

We can't forget why Florida got 4 chances to figure out how to close it. Multiple free goals for Florida in games 1 and 3 almost gift wrapped by lousy 2nd and 3rd D pairs. You just can't expect to always get over that stuff every time.

A terrible start to the year also burned us in the end. With all the team issues, we did no upgrades (none that had an impact until the 2nd round of playoffs), we just chose to ride with a coach that was very visibly clueless about how to coach a proper system. This season was right on the edge of total disaster before this new guy Jackson had to step in and force a coach change and pick the replacement.

Kane with his hernia injury all year, we couldn't at least turn that into cap space at the deadline like multiple cup winners did to put them over the top. Too lazy, or couldn't develop the needed relationship with the player to do it, whatever it was, not really excusable because it was an absolute layup. Didn't even have to fake an injury, he had it all year.

We need proper management, immediately. There is no way around it. This team should be challenging for the pres trophy every year. This game 7 should have been in Edmonton. All on you Mr. Jackson with the GM hire.

[Updated on: Mon, 24 June 2024 21:38]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #7) [message #837036 is a reply to message #837034 ]
Mon, 24 June 2024 21:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 24 June 2024 21:34

Kinda of the final insult of Holland's time here. two players he inherited just shattering records, both on for crazy amounts of chances and goal differential. McDavid with at least 1 guy on his wing that is super questionable to get anything done 5v5 on his line all the time while he does it. Just amazing performances driven by those guys all playoffs, that might not be matched for 2 decades+. And leads to an almost unprecedented losing team Conn Smythe for a skater, because our D depth and winger depth was too much to overcome in the end.

We can't forget why Florida got 4 chances to figure out how to close it. Multiple free goals for Florida in games 1 and 3 almost gift wrapped by lousy 2nd and 3rd D pairs. You just can't expect to always get over that stuff every time.

A terrible start to the year also burned us in the end. With all the team issues, we did no upgrades (none that had an impact until the 2nd round of playoffs), we just chose to ride with a coach that was very visibly clueless about how to coach a proper system. This season was right on the edge of total disaster before this new guy Jackson had to step in and force a coach change and pick the replacement.

Kane with his hernia injury all year, we couldn't at least turn that into cap space at the deadline like multiple cup winners did to put them over the top. Too lazy, or couldn't develop the needed relationship with the player to do it, whatever it was, not really excusable because it was an absolute layup. Didn't even have to fake an injury, he had it all year.

We need proper management, immediately. There is no way around it. This team should be challenging for the pres trophy every year. This game 7 should have been in Edmonton.

Holland was an overrated bum coming into the job, given that his greatest success as a GM came before the cap era when he had unlimited amounts of money to buy a Cup in Detroit. Seriously, is Stan Bowman available? That guy is a managerial genius who understands how to build teams that remain competitive while remaining within the constraints of cap space.

5-14-6-1

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #7) [message #837041 is a reply to message #837036 ]
Mon, 24 June 2024 21:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kungpaobenji27  is currently offline kungpaobenji27

No Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Mon, 24 June 2024 22:38

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 24 June 2024 21:34

Kinda of the final insult of Holland's time here. two players he inherited just shattering records, both on for crazy amounts of chances and goal differential. McDavid with at least 1 guy on his wing that is super questionable to get anything done 5v5 on his line all the time while he does it. Just amazing performances driven by those guys all playoffs, that might not be matched for 2 decades+. And leads to an almost unprecedented losing team Conn Smythe for a skater, because our D depth and winger depth was too much to overcome in the end.

We need proper management, immediately. There is no way around it. This team should be challenging for the pres trophy every year. This game 7 should have been in Edmonton.

Holland was an overrated bum coming into the job, given that his greatest success as a GM came before the cap era when he had unlimited amounts of money to buy a Cup in Detroit. Seriously, is Stan Bowman available? That guy is a managerial genius who understands how to build teams that remain competitive while remaining within the constraints of cap space.

Wings fans are still pissed about Holland giving a banged up Derian Hatcher such a long contract just so he could play 20 games...and the dude got 20 mil to play a fourth of that season as he'd be bought out.

If I were to be fair though, Holland was a much better GM than say Pierre Lacroix of the Avs who basically retired once the cap was implemented....least the prior was able to help build a Wings team that won it all in 2008 under a hard cap.

The demise of Holland was the Wings media/fanbase egging him on to keep the playoff streak alive at all costs instead of rebuilding. Some might say him not handing the reigns over to Stevie Y in 2010 is to his fault but would the latter have had the guts to blow up that Wings roster? Probably not.

Many decisions to be made starting with the front office trickling downwards...

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #7) [message #837083 is a reply to message #837041 ]
Tue, 25 June 2024 15:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

I want to write a more insightful piece here eventually, but in the short-term, some quick thoughts:

- Mike is right about the WWE-quality of last night's game. The Panthers were allowed to just grapple and tackle people all night long, and when you add that to just dreadful ice, it's not a great recipe for great hockey. The NHL got a big viewership last night as people were really excited to see a final battle between two really good hockey teams, and the product that gets delivered was probably the worst of the Finals.

- This kind of thing leads directly to the fact that after every playoffs we hear about all these players fighting through grievous injuries. Some of those will happen no matter what, but you look at a bunch of the injuries our top guys have suffered in the last couple of playoffs, and it's avoidable stuff - I'm thinking of the Mikey Andersen takedown for instance, or the rabbit punches from Bennett & Tkachuk in this series, etc. The NHL glories in the toll that the playoffs take and so they prefer to allow full-on mugging of its stars and grind it out ugly hockey to allowing skill to thrive. I'll never understand it. Maybe someday when Bettman, Campbell, Parros and others are gone from the league offices it gets better.

- This loss ultimately isn't on Darnell Nurse, Cody Ceci, Ryan McLeod, Stuart Skinner, or Leon Draisaitl (who mind-bogglingly was getting blamed in the GDT). It's on the GM who did extremely little last summer, leaving us short on depth at forward, defence and goalie and then didn't make use of all the tools available to him to make his team better during the year either. Tarasenko was an important player for the Panthers in the finals, and he cost a fraction of what we paid for Adam Henrique who played a significantly lesser role. There were opportunities out there and Holland just couldn't find a way. Just an epic failure of a GM over the last five years. Two solid moves in five years just isn't enough for the highest paid GM in the league with a team that has a tremendous top-end. He wears the goat horns here - more of a villain in this story than even Tkachuk or Bennett.

- Someone mentioned earlier here about the need for a new GM fast...it's going to be interesting to see what happens there. We don't have a lot of time - we certainly won't have a new one in time for the draft unless the announcement is, like, tomorrow. I wonder if Jackson is going to interim it through free agency?? I just pray that they don't go one more year on Ken Holland...that's a worst case scenario.

- All that said, it was a tremendous ride. The spring has been an exciting one. My kids cared more about Oilers results in the last month than I've seen their entire lives. The last 10 days were electrifying in this city, and I had people from around the country and even out of the US commenting to me on work calls about the hockey and sending hopes and cheers for the Oilers. It has been pretty awesome. Thanks to the players for that. I know they're all dashed right now. I'm feeling rather sad about it myself today. But we were definitely entertained and I'll take these tough disappointments at the last possible moment any day over early exits and first overall picks.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #7) [message #837043 is a reply to message #837034 ]
Mon, 24 June 2024 21:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

"Kane with his hernia injury all year, we couldn't at least turn that into cap space at the deadline like multiple cup winners did to put them over the top. Too lazy, or couldn't develop the needed relationship with the player to do it, whatever it was, not really excusable because it was an absolute layup. Didn't even have to fake an injury, he had it all year."

Hard to argue that one,he was pretty good early, but could easily have been shut down given the Oilers were sh#t when he was good.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #7) [message #837029 is a reply to message #836988 ]
Mon, 24 June 2024 21:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

I blame the captain skate.

No captain skate this fall.

Rest up boys.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #7) [message #837031 is a reply to message #836988 ]
Mon, 24 June 2024 21:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Iamheretoday  is currently offline Iamheretoday

No Cups

Great game, bad results. Agree that Panthers earned that win. Our time will come, sooner than later.

I would not have been unhappy after the season start to end here. From that perspective the team exceeded my expectations.

Hats off to the team. Thanks for the ride.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #7) [message #837033 is a reply to message #836988 ]
Mon, 24 June 2024 21:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kungpaobenji27  is currently offline kungpaobenji27

No Cups

No moral victories but a big step for this squad to make it this far. Helluva ride. Turned off the TV with 5 seconds left not wanting to see the celebrations.

Last several days have been tense for Florida in what seemed to be friction amongst the leadership core. You could just tell in the joint press conferences with Barkov and Tkachuk. Too bad we couldn't finish the job sending that franchise into an even bigger frenzy.

A much shortened offseason coming up with guys needing rest & new contracts. We'll see what the near future holds.

Btw, I blame the Bruins for choking that series away in 2023 bc that's what created this monster known as the Panthers...

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #7) [message #837038 is a reply to message #836988 ]
Mon, 24 June 2024 21:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

4 Cups

It was a great ride Fans of Oil.. happy to had all your company along for the miles of dusty road..
Had a backpack ready to pack up for for the last flight to from YVR to YEG tonight.. next year! 👍🏻

I'll chat later.. got to let the sad evaporate first.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #7) [message #837039 is a reply to message #836988 ]
Mon, 24 June 2024 21:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

1 Cup

Pain.

2 game 7 finals in my life. No cups.

Clean house or bust

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #7) [message #837040 is a reply to message #837039 ]
Mon, 24 June 2024 21:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Mon, 24 June 2024 21:46

Pain.

2 game 7 finals in my life. No cups.

Sucks

At the least this probably makes it way easier to keep Drai and McDavid. And there is no reason why we shouldn't be putting together more playoff runs if management doesn't suck.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #7) [message #837042 is a reply to message #837040 ]
Mon, 24 June 2024 21:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

It can still happen for sure.

But core is older. Who knows how long Ekholm has at this level. Hyman and Nuge in 30s. Kane is older. Nurse not good.

Can get out of some of that but every year will get harder.

Clean house or bust

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #7) [message #837044 is a reply to message #837042 ]
Mon, 24 June 2024 22:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Mon, 24 June 2024 21:54

It can still happen for sure.

But core is older. Who knows how long Ekholm has at this level. Hyman and Nuge in 30s. Kane is older. Nurse not good.

Can get out of some of that but every year will get harder.

I think we got to the finals with Drai busted for 2 and a half series. I think McDavid and Drai both could put him amazing playoff performances for another half decade still. Hyman and Ekholm probably play at a very high level for at least another couple years.

Need to pull off a trade for a really solid RHD to play with Nurse or Broberg. Need a good possession playmaking winger for McDavid that can keep up and actually appear as a threat carrying the puck once in a while, so it's not always a no brainer McDavid swarm by the opposition. Nuge is not that guy, at all. Hyman isn't either. That guy doesn't exist on this team aside from Drai now and then, until they go into fancy boy mode playing together.

Those are upgrades we needed to do a year ago honestly. The issues with the team were already obvious then. Crazy individual performances by a few guys, and some very timely adjustments by Knob hid the issues. Coming up with playing Kulak or Broberg on their off side to make up for our terrible RHD depth was genius, truly and probably was a top reason we extended our playoffs past the 3rd round.

Gotta get much needed upgrades done now, no excuses. And have some balls to play by the same rules everyone else is if you have an injured player at the deadline. We could have added a winger or RHD at the deadline this year with LTIR space. And we could have had a healthy Kane. We may have actually been able to overcome Holland this season against all odds. Unfortunately, Holland needed to do the thing that was needed to overcome himself. Quite the conundrum.

[Updated on: Mon, 24 June 2024 22:09]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #7) [message #837045 is a reply to message #837044 ]
Mon, 24 June 2024 22:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leia  is currently offline Leia

No Cups

I know the inquests start now, but to do so in the desolation that is losing that match after the comeback, it's going to be dark and gloomy.

Let's just acknowledge that we've had a hell of a season full of highs and lows and everything in between. At the start of September last year had you told me we'd get to the finals I'd be happy. It's been so long, and after what happened after the last time to get back has been fantastic, yeah we lost, but up to about 90 minutes agao we were still dreaming, still hoping and the team were giving it everything.

We can all play armchair GM's, but to reach the final is difficult, to reach it from where we were in November astonishingly difficult. We've been in game 7 mode since then just to reach the play-off's, and perhaps that's showed a little in the final's. You know what though, it's been fun whilst it lasted, over the past 18 years watching the Oilers hasn't always been fun, it's been difficult to be an Oilers fan, but for many in here who were here in 06, for those who have joined since and carry on posting we should all be able to say one thing right now, we are PROUD of this team for what they did this season.

[Updated on: Mon, 24 June 2024 22:19]

Take me home, country road
to the place where I belong
to Alberta, to see the Oilers
take me home, country road

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #7) [message #837046 is a reply to message #836988 ]
Mon, 24 June 2024 22:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

I never thought that I would look back on a cup final and think about how Janmark brought it.

Clean house or bust

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #7) [message #837049 is a reply to message #837046 ]
Tue, 25 June 2024 05:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lowebudget  is currently offline lowebudget

No Cups

Well, it was a great run. Will be interesting to see what changes will be made in the off season. I'd like to see the Janmark-Henrique-Brown line return at the right price. Foegle will be gone. We should move on from McLeod. Broberg and Holloway should be full timers next year. Need to find a compatible winger for Draisaitl...Arvidsson? Will also be interesting to see Desharnais' next contract too. Can't see Nurse going anywhere...Campbell I can only dream. Should be able to get an asset for Ceci. Sign Pickard. Kane should be better next year when he's healthy. Maybe Ryan and Perry hang on for one more year?

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #7) [message #837050 is a reply to message #837049 ]
Tue, 25 June 2024 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

I'm less sad than I thought I would be. Coming back from down 0-3 was pretty awesome. Completing the comeback would have been the perfect bookend to the crazy up and down season, but it was not to be.

And I know this probably sounds like sour grapes, but last night to me was a garbage game. Not just because we lost, but it was like the WWE out there. With the eyes of the world on your product, you would think the NHL would want to highlight the skill and the star players, but they continue to do the opposite. People keep parroting "the refs don't want to decide the game", but they do just that by allowing players to maul others with impunity.

Whatever - it won't ever change, and even with all of that, we were just a shot away. With even a half decent GM, I see no reason we can't be right back here next year.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #7) [message #837051 is a reply to message #837050 ]
Tue, 25 June 2024 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

2 Cups

Woke up. Hurt like most of you today. I just hope next year we start the season better. That horrific start, if we win 4 games in there we have home ice and at the end of the day this series came down to home ice. It was an extremely entertaining series, but it is what it is. Oilers battled all season, and all playoffs. Leaves such a nasty taste in my mouth we couldn’t get that win. It’s so friggin hard making the cup final. Next year we likely play Colorado or Vegas in the playoffs. This year we got to avoid them…. Doubt that happens next year. Hats off to Florida, but it’s painful

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Draisaitl Watch
Next Topic:STANLEY CUP FINALS - EDM Oilers vs FLA Panthers
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca