This day on September 7
None

Happy Birthday To: kingoftwilight, Czeching, Lovey, Grewal, Medlen, skider44

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #5)Pages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #5) [message #836679 is a reply to message #836678 ]
Thu, 20 June 2024 21:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 20 June 2024 21:17

Adam wrote on Thu, 20 June 2024 21:07

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 20 June 2024 16:24

Jobs not finished, but still

Paul Pidutti @AdjustedHockey
#LetsGoOilers Connor McDavid has officially broken the era adjusted points record (44) in a single playoffs.

With 2 potential games to play, he could put some serious distance on it.

McDavid also has the era adjusted assist mark (36) by 8(!) over Gretzky (30 in 1987).

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GQcBkYYXsAEAykE?format=png&name=small

I always think era-adjusted stats are just full-on bullcrap and hopelessly biased. I imagine most of them are done by disillusioned penguins fans who want to find a way to pretend that 66>99. I mean, Gretzky had 47 points in 18 games but sure - Brad Richards run was almost as impressive.

I’m afraid if McDavid wants the real record he’s going to need to score 6 more points. It ain’t out of the realm of possibility either!!!

Gretzky still blows away everyone in ppg, and playoff hockey is much more situational than regular season games. I don't think ppl go too nuts with era adjustment. Think just tries to find how many goals are getting scored by how many players overall in the seasons and how hard it is to do something far off the norm.

Needing 5,7,6 and hopefully 7 games obviously helps McDavid keep racking up more points. But it's also amazing how much he is still bringing in games so late now, especially since he likely started the playoffs with an injury.

One thing for sure, we are watching something very special that we may never see again from 1 player in the playoffs.

I’ll agree that McDavid is special but the guy doing this is a clown. Mario had 5 more games to get 3 less points but he suggests that’s the previous best season because the league had just changed so much between 1985 and 1991? The Brad Richards one is particularly egregious. Two years earlier Forsberg scored 27 points in 20 games and he doesn’t even make the list but Brad Richards is in the top few seasons of all-time? I mean, St Louis was just 2 points behind him and Iginla just 2 points behind that (admittedly in 3 more games). I just don’t think it’s comparable to the Gretzky numbers. Literally no one else was scoring 40 in ANY years other than Mario once. Coffey’s 37 is the next closest.

If it was that easy other people should have been doing it. The scoring leader in 1986 when Oilers dropped out early had 21 points. In 1989 the top three had 31, 25, 24.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireBobbyNicks

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #5) [message #836680 is a reply to message #836679 ]
Thu, 20 June 2024 22:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 20 June 2024 21:54

#LetsGoOilers Connor McDavid has officially broken the era adjusted points record (44) in a single playoffs.

McDavid also has the era adjusted assist mark (36) by 8(!) over Gretzky (30 in 1987).

I always think era-adjusted stats are just full-on bullcrap and hopelessly biased. I imagine most of them are done by disillusioned penguins fans who want to find a way to pretend that 66>99. I mean, Gretzky had 47 points in 18 games but sure - Brad Richards run was almost as impressive.

I’m afraid if McDavid wants the real record he’s going to need to score 6 more points. It ain’t out of the realm of possibility either!!!

Gretzky still blows away everyone in ppg, and playoff hockey is much more situational than regular season games. I don't think ppl go too nuts with era adjustment. Think just tries to find how many goals are getting scored by how many players overall in the seasons and how hard it is to do something far off the norm.

Needing 5,7,6 and hopefully 7 games obviously helps McDavid keep racking up more points. But it's also amazing how much he is still bringing in games so late now, especially since he likely started the playoffs with an injury.

One thing for sure, we are watching something very special that we may never see again from 1 player in the playoffs.

I’ll agree that McDavid is special but the guy doing this is a clown. Mario had 5 more games to get 3 less points but he suggests that’s the previous best season because the league had just changed so much between 1985 and 1991? The Brad Richards one is particularly egregious. Two years earlier Forsberg scored 27 points in 20 games and he doesn’t even make the list but Brad Richards is in the top few seasons of all-time? I mean, St Louis was just 2 points behind him and Iginla just 2 points behind that (admittedly in 3 more games). I just don’t think it’s comparable to the Gretzky numbers. Literally no one else was scoring 40 in ANY years other than Mario once. Coffey’s 37 is the next closest.

If it was that easy other people should have been doing it. The scoring leader in 1986 when Oilers dropped out early had 21 points. In 1989 the top three had 31, 25, 24.

Brad Richards numbers are definitely weird in there. He wasn't that far away from other guys in points

I'll have to read this later. Do wonder how this guys is playing with the stats

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/news/era-adjusted-playoff-stats -a-new-post-season-tool-to-compare-generations

Possible he is going year by year and looking at how many goals scored in games and the percentages of points a player had vs number of goals scored. So players in super low scoring playoff years look better. If everyone is scoring like crazy in a year, a high scorer looks worse vs other years, even if they separated themselves from the pack going by points. If lots of average guys are still loading up points, even if there are few that are individually standing out, it waters down how impressive the top scorers points are because scoring just overall appeared easier to do that year.

[Updated on: Thu, 20 June 2024 22:38]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #5) [message #836700 is a reply to message #836679 ]
Fri, 21 June 2024 09:23 Go to previous message
benv  is currently offline benv

No Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 20 June 2024 21:54

I think you're being a bit harsh. I mean if you don't era adjust then the greatest goal scoring season of all time will always be Joe Malone in 1917-18 getting 44 goals in 20 games--doesn't matter how different the game was back then.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #5) [message #836675 is a reply to message #836558 ]
Thu, 20 June 2024 19:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

No Cups

Saw an article on my phone from nhl.com that Nick Cousins will play gm 6 in place of Okposo.

Cousins hasn't been in a game since gm 3 vs NYR.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #5) [message #836676 is a reply to message #836675 ]
Thu, 20 June 2024 20:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Suomalainen wrote on Thu, 20 June 2024 19:52

Saw an article on my phone from nhl.com that Nick Cousins will play gm 6 in place of Okposo.

Cousins hasn't been in a game since gm 3 vs NYR.

So Maurice is rattled. After acting like an immortal sage in the post game after game 3, talking in his deepest possible voice as slowly as possible, like he was touching everyone to their core with each syllable of coaching knowledge. He is now desperate and reaching out to ramp up the dirty play by bringing out the current NHL's version of Matt Cooke.

Florida playing this idiot could be good for some extra powerplays for us, but boys need to keep their heads up.

[Updated on: Thu, 20 June 2024 20:33]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Pages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #6)
Next Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #5)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca